Manappuram Finance

Manappuram just raised 90 day CP at 6.12% - that’s quite a bit lower than the 8.5% odd it was raising at a year or so back.mmm

6 Likes

Board of Directors of the company will be meeting on Thurdsay,27th February 2020 at the Corporate office of the company, Mumbai- 400093 interalia to consider declaration of Interim Dividend.

2nd dividend in two months…

2 Likes

impact of DDT. dividend received will be in this fy, instead of next FY. same with bajaj finance and finserv.

1 Like

Meanwhile Mannapuram raises 90 day paper at 6.12%.
Shapoorji is at close to 10%.
Piramal 29 day paper at 9.1%
Patanjali Ayurved 90d at 10.45%.
Unbelievable rate for Manappuram… And with their lending rate (pricing power) at 18%, it’s huge competency for a lending Co on either sides of BS although It does improve their operating margin. But more focus should be to grow business without hampering NPA numbers.

mm

8 Likes

Pls compare the yields with other NBFCs -

TATA CAPITAL HOUSING FINANCE LIMITED (~180 days) ~5.6%
CHOLAMANDALAM INVESTMENT AND FIN. (~30 days) ~5.3%
LIC HOUSING FINANCE (~180 days) ~5.85%
SUNDARAM FINANCE (~120 days) ~5.75%

Source: NSE https://www1.nseindia.com/products/content/debt/corp_bonds/cbm_sett_data_archives.htm

8 Likes

Was researching for digital avatar of gold loan…this is backed by deep pockets and currently doing $28m /mo run rate( access to free money with zero cost)…serious competition…limited to 10 cities for now but matter of time

1 Like

They are not new. They raised 1st round of funding in September 2017. They are too small and may not pose any serious competition for next few years.

1 Like

Manappuram already provides online gold loan and increasing the share steadily. These fintech can undercut in interest rates though. Also, many folks in the hinterland would like to see an NBFC outlet nearby before applying for a loan. It is not easy to build the network. Finally, what stops Muthoot and Manappuram from offering the same?

i guess one of the sensible things that a person would want is not just low interest rate or convenience of “loan at door step” but a brand that they can trust to part their gold ornaments.

lets also realise that these gold loan are taken be lower-middle income group people who really dont value this ‘loan at door step’ comfort.

3 Likes

I might be naive here. But do Manappuram or Muthoot have access to low cost venture capital to burn through? I think that is the power of these new online ventures coming in. Is the story going to be similar to the Amazon/Flipkart vs the Brick n mortar shopping malls and Uber/Ola vs convential taxis?

Technically, venture capital is a high cost and high risk capital. This is an equity investment and you will need to raise debt to provide loans against gold.

Amazon , Flipkart or most other successful models have been able to create business models as a replacement to unorganized sector and not really as direct competition to an established player. So yes , they may take some space , but difficult to imagine them impacting Manna / Muthoot growth trajectory seriously.

Analysis of competitive intensity is important, but only real case when I would worry about a completely new player is if that new player looks anything similar to RELIANCE :grin:

5 Likes

They have tie up with Federal Bank and Karur Vysya Bank for debt funding. But gold loan can’t be compared to online shopping or Ola, Uber. For gold loan, trust and branch visibility matters a lot and thus building brand will be even more difficult for new fintech companies. Also, if they grow further they will attract new customers towards gold loan and Manappuram / Muthoot can also serve door to door from their existing branches.

1 Like

On similar note , one thing that struck me while listening to Bajaj Finance concall was that this is one of the businesses that Bajajs management have found difficult to master. That shows how strong the established players are on their turf.

Although I would also see that as an important risk , because Bajaj finance has rarely been unsuccessful in a product/market they have tried to capture.

Disc- Invested, but no transactions in last 1 year.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more… People won’t trust institution with loads of losses for pawning family gold… Knowing their reputation so far informed people will think twice before signing up

Based on Rupeek story. Manappuram already started this kind of service but, still working on pilot basis. Once they ramp up to each and every town they can beat Rupeek easily because of stronger penetration, brand visibility and fund raising capacity at lower prices in compared with newer players.

Some trends to observe:

1. Earlier China trade war and now Corona virus issue has propelled Gold prices way way higher, this has resulted in a spike in solid gold book performance(for same grammage of gold they released higher amount) for all Gold financiers - make a guess when these events normalize what happens to these tailwinds?
  2. At 5 -10% Gold AUM growth (and tonnage) which makes majority of growth for company - at best market will reward correspondingly - Competition is intensifying across the board and NIM may likely come under pressure - those with better operational efficiencies will do better.
  3. Diversification via subsidiaries is panning out well - each biz has its own dynamics.
  4. When big PE backed players which are growing at break neck speed - industry is ripe for disruption - is the space big enough for all to co-exist and grow or is it going to be interest rate war. Approach for now is new players(Rupeek) are focusing on cities and Manappuram/Muthoot have netwrok all the way to villages etc. Look at monthly performance record ($1.5 m in Jan 19, $16M in sept, $28M in Jan 20) - FY 20 they are likely to end with 3000Cr Gold AUM. That is sizable.
  5. Look at Zerodha - which has largest market share in stock brokers now - didn’t existed few years back - so it would be wise to not discount Rupeek etc.

Invested and evaluating.

2 Likes
  1. China trade war is going on for > 2 years. What do we consider as normalcy?
    Corona virus outbreak news happened just 40 days back. This quarter is not yet over; we don’t even know the gold tonnage info., Lending info etc. and we are deriving conclusions here.

2. Do you have data points to support your claims with regards to competition and NIM pressure?

3. Each biz they operate in has Fintechs for decades as well, who are trying to carve out a niche. So are those fintechs disrupting the market and causing existing businesses to close?
    Points 4 and 5 don’t consider business dynamics at all.

I see all kinds of surprising claims being made in the past few days. Lack of understanding of the word disruption; no detailing of what these fintechs do differently, much better than established players and if they can sustain it.

Total non-focus on the fact that financial services biz is one with a long tail and it’s not Aum gathering (least important) exercise alone but maintenance of quality book and lending and it’s a twin side business. Brings to mind on the kind of sweeping comments made wrto PNB HF, Piramal and others where people were interested in only loan book growth and AUM.

Kotak, DCB, IDFC first bank and others are all offering at door step services, huge marketing, ad spends and have they disrupted the banking space or carving out a niche for themselves? And are people becoming customers of these banks just bcoz of better services or much higher savings rates they offer?

Also the most surprising and mind boggling claim being made is VC money labelled as free money, low cost and various other phrases. If it’s so, all biz would remain in VC stage only even if they mature. Afterall biz will boom with free money. And isn’t equity costliest form of funding in these cases? We need to study about industry dynamics, network effect and disruption.

The e.g. quoted like Flipkart, Amazon, Ola, Uber bely this. So if tomorrow these disruptors enter gold loan lending then all these Fintech startups will cease to exist right as these disruptors can do what these startups can do, are backed by ‘free money’, ‘low cost money’?

9 Likes

For some of us Gold rising 20%+ (2019) in an year and then spiking on top of that recently is not normal…where is a conclusion here?

Read above with point # 1 impact and then take a look at long term view of margins, earlier spikes were in 2007-8. Again some of us think it is not sustainable. Each is entitled to their own view.

Again - we all can agree to disagree but believe constructive rebut helps each other on this forum, not ramblings or lack of civility of response.

1 Like

Could you address what Rupeek does differently, or its operating model and what facet of gold loan business is being disrupted, their lending model and how gold price rise/lack thereof won’t affect Rupeek.

Manappuram’s online gold loan accounts for 43% of total gold loan book from 1% in FY 2016. Manappuram too offers door step services. Page 37 of Manappuram Q3 presentation details the technology initatives as well. So unless we know what Rupeek does better compared to other Fintechs backed by VC funding, unorganised players who still dominate the gold lending business, organized unlisted players, listed players like Manappuram, Muthoot and banks, we wouldn’t be able to identify if there is a threat.

FY 2017, 2018(on lower side), 2019 and 2020 all have similar margins. So that’s why the factors stated don’t exactly correlate with the financial results of Manappuram and mind you, the factors you stated affect all in the gold lending business.

And I still couldn’t understand why we don’t focus on lending side of the fintechs and also on the false analogy to Ola, Uber, Flipkart, Amazon when 2 of them are into sharing economy and 2 of them on marketplace and all of them are best examples of network effect and in financial services, that too NBFC, its operating leverage, book quality and not exactly network effect that decides success.

I don’t claim to have all the answers as well but to make an informed decision, we need lot more inputs than the rapid growth of certain fintechs as we won’t know who is swimming naked till the tide stops. But I know VC money is definitely neither free money nor low cost. And I just expressed my cynicism wrto fintechs disrupting the business as many of the disruptions they do successfully get adopted by the whole business over time and become the standard.

And as for your last point, I wholeheartedly agree and as Charlie says, invert invert and can only smile.

8 Likes