Long term investment strategy (Buy, hold but don't forget)

35% XIRR return from 2017-2023
@Buy and hold approach

First time ,i learned how to calculate XIRR and surprised to see it.
It is 35% XIRR (2017-2023) excluding dividend) as on sept 2023 with buy and hold strategy.
(I had sold less than 5% stocks in this period.)

In same time, sensex has given 15.35% and small cap index has given 21.95% xirr return.

This is not show off post
It is only and only for conveying message about favourable outcome of long term investment.I have summerized these from various books and my 6 yrs experience. So please go through this thread.

At present, small cap index is near all time high and my all stocks are
small cap. So portfolio will definately come down to sustainable level over a period of time. I will be satisfied if my portfolio gives return of about 15-18% XIRR over long term.

-Why do people buy and sell stocks so frequently? -Why can’t they just buy a stock and hold it for at least a couple of years? (Most don’t.)
-Why can’t people follow the more time-tested ways to wealth?

Let’s see.

1…PEOPLE GET BORED

=As per Crystpher mayer (author of book 110 baggers) : People get bored holding the same stock for a long time—especially if the stock is not going anywhere.

=People often do dumb things with their portfolio just because they’re bored. They feel they have to do something.

=They see other shiny stocks zipping by them, and they can’t stand it. So they chase whatever is moving and get into trouble.

2…BEHAVIOUR BIAS

=Winning at money is 80 percent behavior and 20 percent head knowledge.
-Dave Ramsey

-Three main bhaviours affecting investment outcome are:Patience, fear and greed.

A…PATIENCE
=Patience is upmost important when stock is going no where.

=As peter lynch said, during its journey, 70% of time stock remains flat and it is just 30% time it makes movement.

So we have to pass this 70% time watching stock going no where to make money

=In ulmost my 70% stocks like carysil, lt foods ,anup eng and many more, i have waited 2-3 yrs before uptrend started
(Contrary to techno- funda investment)

=However , i could not keep patience for Rajoo engineering ,Auro lab, ice make refrigeration and sold them early with loss or marginal profit and missed big opportunities

B…FEAR

= Everyone has brain power to purchase good stock but few have stomach to digest ups and down in stock market.(peter lynch)

=Most small cap stocks go 20-40% down multiple times during its journey.

=So this fear also discourage people from long term investment.

3…HUGE VOLATILITY
(UPS N DOWNS)

=The biggest hurdle to making 100 times your money in a stock—or even just tripling it—may be the ability to stomach the ups and downs and hold on.(Book 100 bagger)

=The problem isn’t only that we’re impatient. It’s that the ride is not
often easy

=Netflix, which has been a 60-bagger since 2002, lost 25 percent of its value in a single day—four times! On its worst day, it fell 41 percent. And there was a four-month stretch where it dropped 80 percent

= Apple from its IPO in 1980 through 2012 was a 225-bagger.
But those who held on had to suffer through a peak-to-trough loss of 80
percent—twice!

4…ENTERTAINING V/S BORING

=…People feel short term investment/trading as entertaining while long term investment as boring

=George Soros Quote: “If investing is entertaining, if you’re having fun, you’re probably not making any money. Good investing is boring

5…PEOPLE CHASE RETURNS
(From book 100 baggers)

=Many people compare return with others and with index every monthly or yearly .Once they dont gain good return ,they try to reshuffle their portfolio.

=There really isn’t anything intelligent to say about returns over months or year

=Besides, who cares about one year?
We have to play the long game.

=There are approaches and investors who have beaten the market by a solid margin over time. The thing is, they seldom beat the market consistently

=The best investors lag the market 30–40 percent of the time

=None in the superstar investor group always beat the S&P 500 probably because no one thought that was the primary objective.”

=There are ways to beat the market over time. But none of these approaches always beats the market.
…Even the best lag it, and often.

=Keep that in mind before you reshuffle your portfolio after looking at year-end results. Don’t chase returns! And don’t measure yourself against the S&P 500 or any other benchmark. Just focus on trying to buy right and hold on

6…PAST BAD EXPERIENCE

=On many occasions, stock rup up very fast within short time and later fall and then it take longer time than expected or dont recover at all.

=Here long term investor will have disadvantage.Every longterm investor has few stocks which take long time to recover or may not recover at all.

=However, long term investor will also have many stocks in which he/she had kept patience and stocks have multiplied many times over a period of time .So in few stocks, they will miss profit booking but in other stocks, they will have nice return over a period of time. So overall portfolio give nice return.

=E.g.I had bought alkyl amine at Rs 791 ,it made all time high of around 5000 and at present it is around Rs 2100. and still not recovered.

=Same way other companies like paushak ltd , astec ltd had still not recovered after making all time high, may be due to headwinds of chemical sector. But i am still invested in them.

=But other stocks like Lt foods, beta drugs , carysil, kpr mill etc have recovered well. So overall portfolio has given nice return

=So it is all about calculating return of portfolio rather than individual stock.
However, if fundaments deteriorate, it is definate sign of sell

7…INSTATNT GRATIFICATION
(Parag parikh book- Behaviour finanace)

=The emotional part of the brain is linked to short-term rewards, and the logical part to long-term gratification. The former almost always wins.

= Everyone wants everything instantly, but it’s against the natural law. You cannot sow something today and reap tomorrow; a seed which is sown has to go through different seasons and it takes time for it to turn into a full-blown tree.

=When you tend to fall in for instant gratification, every day you look at the market in the hope of making fast money.

…

WHAT LEGENDS SAY?

A…What warren buffet says

=The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient

=“If you aren’t willing to own a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for 10 minutes.” …

=The most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect.”

=Do not take yearly results too seriously. Instead, focus on four- or five-year averages.”

=TIme is the friend of the wonderful company, the enemy of the mediocre.” Wonderful companies grow in the long run because then their prices reflect their underlying value rather than the short term emotions of investors.

=No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”

B…What Peter lynch says

=Stocks are relatively predictable over 10 to 20 yrs, not in 2 to 5 yrs,even bluechip also not predictable.Weather stock will go higher or lower in next 2 to 3 yrs, you might as well flip a coin to decide

=Sometimes ,it take years for stock price to catch up company 's value and down period lasts so long that investor begins doubt that will ever happen.But value always wins in most cases

=I M USED TO HANG AROUND STOCK WHEN IT IS GOING NO WHERE.
This going nowhere for years is i called EKG OF ROCK which is actually a favourable omen .Whenever i see EKG of rock on charts to which i am already attracted, i take it as strong hit that next move will be up.

C…WHAT PHILIP FISHER SAYS

=Every one knows which stock will rise but no one knows when it will rise(philip fisher)

=In his book Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits, Phil Fisher had a chapter called “When to Sell.”
…If the job has been correctly done when a common stock is purchased, the time to sell it is—almost never.”

=But even Fisher allows three and only three reasons to sell:

A…You’ve made a mistake in original purchase

B…The stock no longer meets your investment criteria(change in fundaments)

C…Better opportunity
=Switching is treacherous .
=Every stock that’s moving looks better than the one you’re thinking of selling. And there are always stocks that are moving.
=Investors too bite on what’s moving and can’t sit on a stock that isn’t going anywhere. They also lose patience with one that is moving against them. This causes them to make a lot of trades and never enjoy truly mammoth returns

=So ,“If you’ve done the job right
and bought a stock only after careful study, then you should be a reluctant seller”.

DONT SELL WHEN

=STOCK IS TOO HIGH OR HIGH PE
=STOCK HAS FALLEN
=STOCK IS GOING NO WEHERE

=Stock price is not indication for reason to sell

=During periods of rapid share price appreciation, stock prices
can reach lofty P/E ratios. This shouldn’t necessarily discourage one from continuing to hold the stock.

TAKE HOME MESSEGE

1…Longterm strategy has one unique advantage: We as investors will not be distracted from our primary profession .We have to focus on 10-25 businesses which we have bought and dont need to study a lot of companies as turnover ratio or switching to other companies is very less.

=This is my personal advise to youngsters. Dont do frequent switching or trading.This habit will distract you from your primary profession.At the end, long term investment will gave same return ,if not better than short term.

=In present era, 3-5 yrs is considered as long term investment.Even in value pickers, most people stay invested for 3-5 yrs in one stock with high churning rate. This high churning will keep you engaged in searching and studying new companies and this will affect your profession.

2…This buy and hold approach is easy to follow by everyone and so it is called “Everyman’s replicable approach”

3…I would suggest , for Long term (5-10 yrs or more) investment, one should have optimum diversification depending on portfolio size in atleast 10-25 companies with equal allocation.(Not overdiversified)
So that, if one or two companies dont perform well, others will cover it and we can go for long term without fear.

4…Common practice of buying and forgetting will not be successful .
=Check your investment thesis at regular interval

5…My sincere request to go through these 2 threads : 100 baggers and one upon wall street before doing serious investment in stock market.

Thanks

(100 baggers-summary)

(One upon wallatreet- summary)

(My portfolio on july 2023)

Portfolio as on july 2023

1…Pix…(Rs 898)…(6.8%)…(April 2022)
2…Carysil…(Rs 247)…(6.8%)…(feb 2021)
3…Astec life … ( rs 1201)…(6.5%)…(dec 2020)
4…Apcotex …(Rs 284) …( 6.5%)…(nov 2019)

5…Pitti eng…(Rs 297)…(5.6%)…(july 2022)
6……Beta drugs(350)….(5.6%)…(aug 2021)
7…Ganesha eco(Rs 593)…(5.6%)…(aug 2021)
8.…Hindware…(Rs 382)…(5.6%)…(feb 2021)
9.…Lt food …( rs 56)…(5.6%)…(march 2019)
10…Racl(Rs 571)…(5.6%)…(feb 2022)
11…Anup…(759)…(5.6%)…(sept 2021)
12…Ion ex ……(rs 117) ……(5.6%)…(feb 2021)

13.…Kei ind…(rs 470.77 )…(4.5%)(jan 2020)
14…Moldtek pack…( 312.50)…(4.5%)…(july 2019).
15……Paushak …(rs 3196)…(4.5%)…(aug 2020)
16…Grauer&weil …(Rs53.06 )…(3.2%)…(July 2018)
17…Stylam(1072)…(3.2%)…(Aug 2021)
18…kpr mill……(rs149)…(2.9%)…(oct 2020)

19…Other stocks…5%

A…Ratnamani …(.rs 865) …(1.0%)…(Feb 2020)
B.…Suven phar …(rs 251.64) …(0.9%)…(Aug 2020)
C.…Ccl products …(rs 270) …(0.9%)…(Feb 2019)
D……Alkyl amine@ (791.56)…( 0.8%)…(June 2020)
E……other stocks… …( 1%)…(2017-2018)

25 Likes

How did you calculate XIRR of your portfolio???

1 Like

Hello Pragnesh
really insightful read. Something I’d like to improve upon are

1. Patience: Patience to hold the stocks / cos and wait for the thesis to play out
  2. Behavioural Bias: Ability to hold stocks that are not performing well, instead of switching to the ones that are performing.

However It’s going to be hard to control these behavioural traits. I need to experience different things to build trust in them. On one side I see people using technofunda and investing in quality stocks that are moving up and making good returns with proper risk management. On the other side there are people like you who has guts/stomach to hold stock through downturn and get good returns on the other side.

I’d like to ask your opinion is this regard

1. Have you ever felt you could’ve made better returns by adding technicals to you fundamentals to improve buy or sell decisions ? Or do you just buy and just track them without worrying about what happens in next 3-5 years (your example of alkyl amines, Paushak ) ?
  2. I feel all stocks are cyclical at varying degrees like shallo, deep etc. Even if the co. is not cyclical, the market is cyclical in terms of the valuation it assigns to a stock. Some stocks doesn’t give any return for next 5 years (alkyl could be one). So, how do you deal with these situation ? Don’t you sell a stock even if it goes to 100x P/E or 15-20x P/S ? Is there a acceptable level of this exuberance for you ?

Thanks
Praveen

3 Likes

Thanks for your nice words

1…I only rely on fundamental analysis(No technical analysis at all).I try to follow one upon wall street, 100 baggers and philip fisher.They have not mentioned technical analysis at all.

2…Coming to high P/E, there are 2 diffrrent thoughts

A=Peter lynch advise for selling stock on high P/E

B=While philip fisher says,"During periods of rapid share price appreciation, stock prices
can reach lofty P/E ratios. This shouldn’t necessarily discourage one from continuing to hold the stock.

At present, i dont sell at high P/E but instead i will add once valuation comes down

4 Likes

nice article. I found a nice article on XIRR- What is XIRR in Mutual Funds - Definition & Step by Step Calculation

1 Like

Nice portfolio, excellent quality stocks and 35% returns are very good as well.

I am a great fan of Howard Marks and Peter Lync. I learned the art of rotation in stocks and making much higher returns from Peter Lynch. This gives you Portfolio high velocity to move up.

Howard marks taught me about human behaviour cycles, liquidity cycles and business cycles. Most important facts as stock prices are all about liquidity, exuberance, fundamentals and sentiments hence buy and forget is a myth.

Portfolio is yours hence I will not hesitate to liquidate my all holdings in 10 minutes in case of black swan event is anticipated. Like we are going to face in 2024.

Making money in stock markets can be via

1. Buying stocks below intrinsic value, forgotten stocks, easy to accumulate however physiologically its very tough to see you laggard when whole market is rising. Alpha created is very high when Mutual funds, DII and HNI run for stock. This is strategy i have followed till now and executed. Returns are in range of 7x to 3X on minimum. However I am very selective on keeping stock in portfolio in long term. Always looking for companies entering tough times due to some localized issues which are one off. Build large positions and sell and portion at 2-3X levels and keep it till growth vision is there for atleast 2 years else move out.:joy::joy:

SHIL 75 to 490, TAMO from 68 to 540, apollo from 82 to 240, Vodafone from 3.5 to 12, KPR mills from 800 to 3400, PCBL from 83 to 240, AB Cap from 54 levels, still holding laggard. another laggard in portfolio is Aditya Birla Fashion, bought at 140 levels and seen stock coming down from 360 to 185, this is a long portfolio and my conviction says it is dirt cheap, holding laggard.

Force motors is a classis example, in PF from 2016 have seen stock from 2300 to 5100 , going down to 600 in 2020 and now at 4000. Only difference is my quantities are 5 times and surprisingly annualized return on investment over 7 year period are healthy as last buy was at 1300 levels. So making money can be possible with all kind of strategies but u need to be careful of what u are doing and follow discipline.

1. Buying Hot stocks where run is continuing, need to be careful of exit else returns with holding period will disappoint.

See example of Dmart, HLL, Britannia from last three years. No one has done anything, they are still excellent business, quality management, market leaders. Dmart always traded at above 100 PE stock raced from 800 to 5400 and now at 3600. Excellent results each quarter. Only change in PE correction time correction in valuation. So

8 Likes

Current PF

1. AB Cap at 70
  2. AB FRL at 140
    3 Force at 1350
    4 Kalyan Jeweller at 110
    5 Brand concepts at 300
    6 Tata Motors at 170
    7 LT Foods at 121
    8 AGI Green at 220
  3. Arvind Fashion at 290
    10 Thomas Cook at 65
    11 Arvind Ltd at 118
    12 Basillic Fly Studio 281
8 Likes

Let’s look at it from the perspective of those who don’t buy and hold too often.

1.1x1.1x1.1 = 1.331 (33% returns)

This means if you can get three trades of 10% each in 365 days (whole year). You will get a 33% return on your capital. It’s easy to find 10% trades than 100%. You can easily find 10% trades with the help of technical or fundamental approaches.

Six 10% gains compounded will yield almost double the total return of one 40% winner.
The amount of turnover is directly related to the average gains and losses and your batting average. If you’re turning your portfolio over very rapidly, you can have smaller gains and losses and a lower win/loss ratio than if you’re turning it over less.

This is the same concept as a retailer who sells a low-priced or low-margin product versus another who sells a higher ticket item with less inventory turnover. The lower-priced merchandise may produce more profit than the higher-priced goods if the retailer can make up for the profit difference through higher sales volume.

5 Likes

This is true at multiple small profits can lead to disproportionate compounding profits, but the problem lies in probability. One will have to be right in large number of trades within a short duration for this to work. The capital will reduce even on break even on trade due to tax and charges.
If the profit target is 10 to 20%, stop loss would be 5% to 10% for a 2:1 risk reward ratio. A stock can fall 10% on any day with unknown reasons. This volatility will ensure that stop loss hits frequently.
For buy and hold investor, few trades with large target is required and time duration for the target to be achieved is also long. This has higher probability of achievement.

5 Likes

@Pragnesh thanks for sharing this.
I would sell/trim a particular share which has become a significant portion of my portfolio (like 20%) and will put it in some stable place (like nifty 50 index/liquid bees). I will later increase my holding in some other stock based on valuation.
I would do this because this one share creates to much fluctuations in my PF

1 Like

Yes, this reshuffling of portfolio should be done when perticular stock has weightage >20% of portfolio.
Thanks

Instead of trimming the most profitable share, you may handle the situation more positively , in the sense that you can increase the allocation of other stocks in the portfolio, this will automatically reduce the position sizing of profitable stock. Why cut the stocks which has given you best returns?

3 Likes

for that you need to have more money or willing to put more money in the stock market.
lets say for the argument sake i have 1 Cr PF and one stock is now 20 lacs. Now to balance it with more money (i keep the allocate from 4 to 6% max to a stock) I need huge sum of money (4 Cr more to be precise if the max allocation to a stock is 4%).

let me know if i misunderstood you

Its two way thing. When you start allocating fresh money into other stocks, not only your weightage of others stocks increase but also your 20% stock will start decreasing. With each fresh investment, simultaneous increase and decrease will happen and effect will be big. You wont need so much money to make 20% stock to 5%. And even if initially it comes to 15% , then 10% , you are on the way of reducing its influence on your overall portfolio.

There is another angle to this. When a position becomes big by itself or relative to other stocks in the PF, it could be hard to digest wild moves if they happen, even for seasoned investors. So it is not a bad idea to trim the position even by a few %, more for some psychological comfort than profit booking.

I am yet to experience this with a stock, but regularly experience notional loss at PF level, when market falls.

6 Likes

Thanks for explaining it. i understand what you are saying but it would take a lot of time to reach the level i am comfortable with and I don’t feel comfortable keeping my PF to much skewed towards a single stock for so long.

Also this is another reason why i would do the trimming.

1 Like

Contrary to this is Titan is largest holding for Late Sri Jhunjhunwala, never sold a single share, 14000 cr is worth for titan and 21000 is total portfolio.

2 Likes

You need to ask how much money you have and how much you can loose without affecting you life significantly. do you think if Mr. Jhunjhunwala looses 14k Cr, it will make any difference in his and his family’s life? answer is no right. and what happens if you/I loose 70% of our wealth. there is no single investing model which fits everyone. it all depends on your risk appetite.

I strongly feel that we should not be using big investors to justify our choices. because there is huge difference between our risk appetite and theirs. As a retail investor we can not loose big money as our family’s future depends on it.

One day if i have that kind of money then i can also take such kind of risk. till then I’ll refrain myself to do such an allocation

2 Likes

I don’t know of anyone in VP who can be compared to RJ. My post was about a comment I read in VP, and the member who posted the comment was very experienced, so if seasonal investors can feel that, a retail like me would feel more of that, for now I can only imagine how it would feel to have a big position and seeing it go up and down.

Of course there may exist investors who have deep understanding of the business and are okay with volatility in a stock, even if it occupies a big position in the PF.