Long Cycles 2.0: Learnings from Secular Crashes-Market Cycles and our Actionables?

Date: 17th May 2020

Are Markets Feeling Fatigued After Big April Rally?

Nifty: 9136.85 Down from Highs: 26.50%

My quest continues to learn how market bottoms globally in this COVID-19 created crisis. I checked few key indicators underneath to check market pulse. Let’s check them out.

NSE Volume & Nifty Comparison

Below screenshot shows NSE Volume comparison with Nifty value from beginning of 2020 till last close of 15th May 2020:

First of all, I want to give credit to @rohil for helping me pull data from NSE site from daily bhav copies and then also with data scrubbing.

We scrubbed the end of day bhav copy data by removing all rows that were not ‘EQ’ series. We got about 1910 stocks with EQ series. EQ series stocks, investor can settle a trade without accepting or giving its delivery.

We then aggregated daily total volume of all EQ series stocks which is blue line in above screen shot.

As we can see in above screenshot, volume first spiked around 9th of March at 345cr levels. Volume reached highest level at 510cr on 18th March during heightened volatility. But to my surprise, volumes dried up at lowest level of Nifty of 7610 on 23rd March. There is good chance market participants were staying away as markets were melting and making 52-week lows. Both markets and volumes are moving in a range since 2nd week of April.

AMFI Data

Below screenshot shows AMFI Equity Net Inflow comparison with Nifty value for last 12 months:

Investors booked profits as markets touched record highs in November 2019. We can see sharp decline in net inflows for that month. Investors pumped-in highest money during March panic driven market, but pulled-back in April as market rallied from March lows.

March 2020 saw highest AMFI Equity Net Inflow, Redemptions, and Inflow when there was maximum panic plunging markets to 52-week lows. This indicates, weak players pulled out but smart players put-in more money at lower levels. There was maximum Greed & Fear in the same month but greed outweighing fear. Probably we will see market bottoms when Redemptions come-in but not the new inflows.

April Rally Puzzle

Source: FII & DII Chart, FII DII v/s Nifty Chart, FII & DII Trading Activity Provisional Figures, FII & DII Investment in India, FII/DII Trading Activity On Nse/Bse, DII & FII Buying and Selling Activities in NSE & BSE, Foriegn Institutional Investors, Domestic Institutional Investors

@basumallick dada shared a very interesting development that transpired in the month of April. Both FII & DII were net sellers as can be seen from above screenshot. Nifty rallied ~15% in April without any support from FII & DII is incomprehensible. If anyone has any answers, please feel free to comment.

Both FII & DII have been net buyers so far in May (till 17th May), but Nifty is down about 7.33% for the month. Who is selling other than FII & DII to pull Nifty down by 7.33%?

Bottom-Line

Let’s bring everything that we have seen so far together.

Volume: no significant spike in volume in current rally from March lows. Even package as big as 10% of GDP also didn’t spike any significant volume.

AMFI: Net inflows decreased sharply in April after record new inflows in March. Investors were seeming more cautious in April than March.

FII & DII Data: it’s a puzzle with no direction.

Nifty ended month of April on high note closing at highest level of last 1 month at 9860. Since then it retraced back some ground and have been facing stiff resistance around 9400 area.

It’s difficult to say how the markets will move from here given so much economic uncertainty. Volume & AMFI April data probably indicate markets are fatigued and need significant triggers to move further up from current levels. I feel these are good enough indicators to make me believe that there may be more downs than ups in the near term.

Happy Investing!

Disc: not a SEBI registered analyst, experiencing first bear market, learning the lessons that market teaches every day, please do your own due-diligence.

8 Likes

FII and DII data puzzle - Can it be PMS buy/sell trades which reflect in retail as these are in individual`s account ?

1 Like

Yes. And possibly HNI investment.

2 Likes

Insightful conversation on macros in the US with Stanley Druckenmiller on economic implications of Covid. It explains how liquidity (QE) caused markets to rally in April despite a distressed economy, and what’s the way forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKwoMuB2Tck&feature=youtu.be

2 Likes

I may be wrong here, but I think the FIIs are net buyers in May (until now) only because of heavy buying on one particular day- May 7, 2020.
On this very day, GSK sold 5.7 % stake in HUL for almost 25000 crore.
Is there a way to check whether this transaction led to net buying by FII (of almost 19000 crore) on May 7?
If this particular transaction is ignored (since such large transaction doesn’t happen everyday), FIIs are almost consistently net sellers in May.

6 Likes

@Donald - thank you for providing the template. Below please find my findings. It was very beneficial mapping exercise for me. It helped to decipher multiple market cycles and then take a far-sighted view (guess) on what can be expected in the next market cycle.

Link for the spreadsheet. Long-Cycle-History_Amit Rupani_July 2020.xlsx (13.1 KB)

Note: I was able to fill 1980s data thanks to Donald.

9 Likes

The period from March 2020 low to current position as at end of September 2021 seems to bear a striking resemblance with the period from March 2009 to November 2010.

The reason for comparing these two sets of periods is that they have a lot of similarities such as

• Bottom of the bear market was seen in both March 2009 (NIFTY - ~ 2600) and March 2020 (NIFTY - ~ 7600)

• From the bottom, there was a ferocious rally, start of a new bull market right upto November 2010 (NIFTY - ~ 6300) and upto September 2021 and counting in the current rally (NIFTY - ~ 17900 and counting)

• Both ferocious rallies were driven by liquidity infused at the global level by central banks with previously unprecedented levels of bond purchases.

• Market breadth was decent in both rallies (small caps, cyclicals, kachra, chakri outperformed)

• Both rallies saw a nearly uni-directional rise with very short periods of falls (red candles on chart). In fact, during both the rallies, the largest correction came in the month of January:
January 2010 when NIFTY went from ~ 5300 to ~4700 – 11% drop
January 2021 when NIFTY went from ~14600 to ~13600 – 7% drop

• Commodity prices made a quick rebound from lows reached in March 2009 and March 2020, rising swiftly enough to eventually create inflationary pressures on major economies

• NIFTY broke out into a new high from previous ‘range’ in August – September 2010 (NIFTY up by 11% in these two months), and also NIFTY broke out into a new high from previous ‘range’ in August – September 2021 (NIFTY up by ~ 11% in these two months)

Till this point, the movements in NIFTY in 2009 and 2021 seem to be very similar. But if one digs deeper to see when the 2009-2010 bull eventually ended:-

• NIFTY made a top in the week during 1-8 November 2010 at ~ 6300. Post that NIFTY went into a rather deep and long correction going down upto ~ 4600 in December 2011 – a drop of 27% in 1 year. Not just that, but post that NIFTY went sideways for a long time (entire of 2012 and almost 2013) and only crossed its November 2010 high in December 2013, after a gap of 3 years! During this period, the economy of India went into a downturn with rising inflation, scams being unearthed, unfavourable currency movements etc. Also there were some negative global events like Eurozone debt crisis and Taper Tantrum of 2013.

• Small Caps fared even worse. BSE Small Cap 250 index had hit a high of ~11300 in November 2010 went down to ~ 7500 in February 2011 (drop of ~34% within 4 months) and then went down further to ~ 5500 in December 2011 (a drop of ~ 51% from November 2010 highs). The BSE Small Cap 250 index crossed its November 2010 high only in September 2014, after a gap of nearly 4 years!!.

• Delving a bit more deeper into the 2010 rally, the top was made in the first week of November, just around the festive season (Diwali in 2010 was in the first week of November). This would have been the time of announcement of quarterly results of Companies and this obviously was (now in hindsight) the period of peak optimism of the market cycle.

Mark Twain famously said – History doesn’t repeat, it rhymes. But in this case, it seems that history has (upto now) come pretty close to repeating itself. What will happen in October and November 2021 is of course purely speculation at this point in time. But for those who believe in coincidences – Diwali 2021 is again in the first week of November.

21 Likes

I have been tracking the 10-Year Treasury Constant Maturity Minus 2-Year Treasury Constant Maturity, graph from Fred (Federal Reserve Economic Data) from Jan/Feb period 2022, when I first came across it in a newsletter. It tracks the 10year/2 year maturity yields and the yield curve inversion. Historically, it has proved to be an high probable event of a recession following an yield curve inversion when the curve dips below zero. Latest dip below zero was in April 4, 2022 and before that August 29, 2019. One does not know what the future holds, but it might be worth while to track the indicator. Hope this adds value to the thread. Moderators may delete, if found not adding value to the thread topic. The curve can tracked here:

Will 75 BIPS increase control the inflation?

Explained in a simple way