Links to Blogs/websites: Welcome/Desired - for adding value to a discussion

Posted byAdministratorat Saturday 11:23

"As per Valuepickr guidelines, we should not post links to blogs/websites. Hence, I am reproducing a recent post almost verbatim on Hindustan media ventures limited.

@Dhwanil

This was just brought to our notice._We should not post links to blogs/websites -_No such guideline exists.We must respect intellectual property, and credits must always be given to original article)- when initiating/kick-starting a discussion from that.

**The operating word is “discussion”**using the linked article. Merely pointing to an external link - saying “here’s a summary of a book I reviewed” without even bothering to put up a synopsis for further discussion - is defeating the purpose of a Forum. Rather as some members have pointed out - that can be seen as indulging in blatant self-promotion. That is what was frowned upon!

We do not think we have advised again putting up blog links, ever - except in above context. There is no formal guideline put up on the same. Perhaps it is time we do!

Infact we have several investor/bloggers as ValuePickr members - Abhishek, Kiran, Neeraj Marathe, Yourself, Rohit Chauhan, and probably many more who are doing great independent service to the investor community. Original authors of articles at blogs/websites when using an article of theirs for discussion purposes - ARE entitled to a link to the original blog/article. You might have seen Ayush or Abhishek doing that. You may do the same, with discretion.

External Links are NOT discouraged. Let the readership decide on Quality. If the external link is useful, folks will spend time there. If not it will be ignored - market forces at work!

In summary, Links to blogs are welcome (keeping the above context in mind). Just like links to any external articles are welcome/desired - if it is seen as adding value to any ongoing discussion. The only caveat - a liberal policy for external links should not be mis-used for blatantly promotional activities.

Previously Dhwanil Desai wrote:

As per Valuepickr guidelines, we should not post links to blogs/websites. Hence, I am reproducing a recent post almost verbatim on Hindustan media ventures limited.