Kaveri seeds company limited -- kscl

2nd day Report - 3 places - Waygaon, Yavatmal, Wardha

Super duper meetings. Very knowledgable people sparing almost 2 hours in each interaction. Great day of using incremental learning to better effect incrementally with the next person in the chain:). Special thanks again to Gaurav Chandak’s contacts for Yavatmal. And Saurabh Shankar’s contacts for Wardha/Waygoan.

10-pointers to understanding the BT Cotton Seeds game! (really?:))

1). By all estimates (consensus) - Maharshtra market is 1 Cr plus. best case 1.4 Cr, worst case atleast 1 Cr (even considering shrinking acreage, drought, soya shift, et al).

2). Vidharbha -45-50 Lakhs (yavatmal 15-18 L, Wardha 8-10 L, Amravati 7-8 L, Akola 7-8 L ; Khandesh 35 L (jalgaon itself 20-25 lakhs); Marathwada 25-30 L

3). Nuziveedu is No#1 in all 3 regions. Mallika is in demand. It ensures adequate supply. Ankur is very well placed in Wardha. Ajeet & Mahyco are in demand but supply has never been adequate. There has been shortage, which keeps up the craze for these two. There is actually little local sowing (local demand in Vidhrbha), but trading from other regions at higher than MRP happens. Dealers from here book Ajeeth & Mahyco - so they can sell to buyers from other regions - because the companies allocate only so much per region. These lead to other practices, black market, vigilance checks, and the like.

4). Kaveri has reportedly done pretty well in Jalgaon - Khandesh region. At other places it comes lower in priority. Feedback/performance is good, but company has not done enough field work, its felt. In Wardha region actually it has fallen back. 2 years back Jadoo & Jackpot did very well, farmers started asking for them, but next year there was not enough supply, margins were cut, so this year they are clearly not among top 4 in Wardha. In Yavatmal, it seems to be in the reckoning - they are also doing good field work - but forgroundswellto happen in someones favour it takes some more time before they become automatic choice - or a “craze” like Ajeet or Mahyco (deliberate shortage vs actual demand). Ajeet & MAhyco have preferred to play it safe rather than be willing to take on aggressive risks like Nuziveedu earlier and now Kaveri (who have the adequate financial muscle to handle fast scaling up, and bear it on the chin if say things go wrong). But Nuziveedu concentrates on field work - which involves - local demonstration, knowledge transfer, technology transfer. Kaveri is also doing it well in pockets. Ankur is very good in this aspect and service in Wardha. It has 15 people in the field - they actually meet 60-70% of the farmers in Wardha, attending to their needs, advising/correcting if things have gone wrong,etc.

5). Consensus estimates for Kaveri last year in Maharashtra - 8-10 L vs 13 L, claimed by Company.

6). This year, everybody has adequate supplies. NZ still remains the No#1 choice - that does not change. In Wardha nobody can shake Ankur’s hold. Ajeet and Mahyco have great craze demand in Marathwada. Difficult for Kaveri to muscle in - product is good no doubt, but that amount of “top-of-mindshare” hold is not there in farmer’s minds. If they keep up the field work, and hybrids keep performing, they may come in reckoning sooner than later. Anybody’s guess what will happen this year - may be able to do 25-30% more by one account (only one account:)).

7). Most hybrids have one or other trait to their advantage. But end of the day, in demonstration plots, if you sow the top 50 varieties (out of 280 odd BT hybrids) - and use best practice sowing, fertliser, insecticide, de-weeding, irrigation -there is nothing to differentiate - yields are identical 19-20 ka farak hai!! A farmer in wardha region sows in 70 Acres. He regularly plants BT hybrids of atleast 15 varieties - including Vikram, Rasi, local Krishidan & Yashoda - and he regularly gets the same yields from all of them!!

8). A lot thus depends on the farmer’s knowledgability on best practices, willingness to study/ask around, willingness to work hard to get the most out, and having the resources to put say 20000/- per acre to take care of all above and best fertiliser, insecticide sprays, irrigate, and harvesting. Irony is, not more than 5-7% of the farmers fall in this category!!!

9). There is no concept of Commercial farming. Most people have their land. Someone who has say only 2 Acres, has no choice, he knows he has to feed the whole family for the year from these 2 acres only. He obviously puts in much more hard work, try’s to learn how best to get the most out. But Most people have enough land and excess land. they are happy to get 5-6 quintals/acre with almost no effort - sow, spray one insecticide, and get the yield you have been getting. In Wardha. Ankur is such a no-nonsense performer, not much headache:). Farmers usually have their mind pretty set, by the time of buying season. They know what they want - never mind whether that really is the best choice or not.

9). This “mindshare” is really a game.Nuziveedu knows how to play the band-baaza-baraat game, farmers dance to the tune.Farmers come with their mind-set. He wants to buy 10 pckts. 6 pckts he wants NZ only, and he may take 1-2 pkts of others, might ask suggestions, not happy with one last time, this time may want a change, may be influenced by dealer for that but only so much. Some of the other hybrids are actually better - Mahycos, and Ajeet’s and even Ankur’s in Wardha conditions. But this guy may have used the wrong type in wrong soil condition- and then blames the hybrid. Arre NZ hi accha hain, Ajith lagaya chala nahi. Kaveri is trying to learn the band-baaza game, adroitly but has to do lot more work to increase the exposure.

10). Yields differ from 5-6 quintals per acre, to 10-12 quintals, to 15-20 even 22 quintals/acre in some cases. But hey, this is in not more than 5-7% of the farmers -for reasons cited above. In rain-fed (when rain actually happens) you can get 5-6 quintals. In irrigated you may do 10-12 quintals. In rain-fed+where you can additionally irrigate from wells say you can end up doing 15 quintals. All best practices, ability to put 20K per acre, and irrigate well - 20 quintals is doable from most hybrids! Usually folks put in 5-6-7 K per acre and get the average 5-6 quintals yield. if particularly lazy some even get 3-4 quintals per acre. Theydon’tlisten that hey if you can put in 20k per acre then do it, it will beremunerativefor you…most distributors/dealers long enough in the business know and can advise…but no takers. Most farmersdon’tmake a good deal out of the cotton sowing…but they all end up putting the blame it on the wrong things:(

Tomorrow meetings at Hinghanghat with Jadoo farmer and other farmers:) and with dealers/distributors. Back in Nagpur to meet Ankur Seeds Director (MD’s son) …should be a great meeting …hope it does indeed happen…and final rounding-off meeting in the evening with Director Central Institute of Cotton research (CICR) Rajesh Kranthi - who’s reaching back to NAgpur on 12th itself from Udaipur. His secy was kind enough to promise me, “You should get the appointment Sir, please call him tomorrow morning - here’s his mobile number. if youdon’tget him, then call me I will try to arrange it for you:)”.

Sometimes I have to wonder…how much of hard work goes in in very short time…chaotic & sort of unplanned …to arrange meetings with suchknowledgeablefolks willingly sharing their valuable time at very short notice…and suddenly it all seems to fall in place very smoothly…in just the right sequence…without really planning it that way…I keep wondering aboutthesequence;)…there reverse order will not do, I know…with so much of inputs buzzing in my head… I can really quiz Dir CICR well…in an effort to separate the Men from the Boys! Thanks Gaurav Chandak and Saurabh Shankar and all their friends/relativesand my school-chum Dr Sanjay Kolte who casually got me the appo with Director Ankur Seeds …at the last minute…sort of pulling a rabbit out of his hat…when all efforts at getting (we had the name)the contact numberwas failing.

Tomorrow is another great day ahead! Wish us luck:)

Cheers

Donald

Ps: incase you are wondering why all this…ambling…wonder…story-telling, etc. Just my attempt to get more ValuePickrs to fall for this kind of interesting but hard on-field work. It’s so rewarding & fulfilling to meet great guys doing exemplary work in their own areas on the ground, their challenges, and their sagacity…their grounded-ness. If done with the right earnestness - I have always seen, this without fail, more & more people come out of nowhere to help you get to the bottom! It’s almost surreal…as if You are not “doing” IT, IT’s just Happening!

Wanna try, next time??

1 Like

Thanks Donald… and wish you all the best for the remaining trip.

Great Extensive work Donald…deserves a deep appreciation…

Rgds.

Donald,

As usual great work. And no need for thanks, i had never questioned my friends/relatives on this the way you have done so all credit to you.

the feeler I am getting is that Kaveri has still lot of ground to cover in Maharashtra but any small gains here can be big gain in overall scenario.

regards,

Dear Donald ,

All hard work and credit goes to you.

what is did only share phone number with you.

HatsOf To You.

Day 3 Report - Hinganghat & Nagpur

Another eventful day. Another day when folks magically agreed to meet at short notice; had they not found it convenient to meet us, we would still have many holes; had they not shared as openly theintricacies, we would have been poorer in our grasp of a complex terrain and many undercurrents. Brilliant folks - foremost experts in their field, with such humility and openness - wonder! wonder!

Special thanks to my Art-of-Living friend from Hinganghat (who was a godsend stranger, just 10 days back, casually started talking after bumping into me in Bangalore, and one thing led to another). He brought together 3 farmers, and 2 leading distributors to talk to me in 3 intense, but flowing info-sharing sessions in just under 3 hours, so I could rush back to catch Ankur Seeds Executive Director, just in time! There couldn't have been a better guide-facilatator to set the right tone for my interrogations, to follow:)

"Pardafash" - The reality of BT cotton markets in India

Tall claims this, but suddenly felt like -everything has fallen into place - we now have all the pieces of the information maze, just need to put the puzzle together piece by piece- needs more work for sure, but its doable!!

1. Continuing the theme of no real difference between top Hybrids. End of the day, all this talk of performance, yield, quality boils down to a 3x3 matrix - hybrids suited for 3 kinds of crop durations, for 3 diff soil conditions. Period - Nothing more, nothing less.RevelationNo#1.

Crop duration Water
Needs
Characteristic Yield Soil Condition Characteristic
Early Rain-fed Early flowering, ball size less, refleshing chars are less Low
6-8 quintals/acre
Loose
Medium Rain-fed+irrigation (wells) Med Medium
8-10 quintals/acre
Medium
Long Rain-fed+irrigation+drip irrigation (or other mechanism that ensures water availability) Ball size big; Reflesh Yield is high; even 30-40% of first High
15-20-22 quintals/acre
Heavy Black Soil Good for the crop; can hold & retain water; can work the other way if too much rain

Given proper farmer know-how, fertiliser & pesticide spend, inter-culture/de-weeding - the key factor is then the soil condition vs water availability (first rain-fed)/ (and then) resources of the farmer to ensure the longer duration of water availability for his cotton acreage.

All top hybrids in these conditions will produce similar results. There is no big magic factor in any. Mallika 207, Ankur 216, Ajith 155, Mahyco 7351, Jadoo/Jackpot, or Monsanto Brahma - all produce similar results for the knowledgable, willing to work-hard, willing-to-spend more farmer. Plus one trait or minus another trait, it boils down to 19-20 ka farak only. And top 5 companies have hybridssuitable for each type of crop/soil-condition.

The dealers/distributors know and understand this (The market plays its games). Contrary to general belief, the farmers too "understand" this now - though he may not be able to articulate it as much. He may still decide to put in less and get less, as he keeps expectations low, or is lazy/couldn't care less, or just don't want/cant put more resources.

2. Having said that, the farmer does not really have much choice!!! Why? This is our revelation no#2. Farmer has to get 8-10 quintals yield to survive, as his input costs are atleast 20,000/- per acre!!! Really?

3. Let's take a break-up.

a) Seed - atleast 1.5 pkts per acre: Rs. 1500

b) Fertiliser - atleast 3-4 bags per acre: Rs. 3000-4000

c) Pesticide - atleast 2 bags per acre: Rs. 3000

d) Labour - most crippling expense: atleast Rs. 12000 per acre

d1) 1 man - can cover max 15 acres per season; costs minimum 60000-75000-100,000: atleast 5000 per acre

d2) Inter-culture/de-weeding etc - separate labour : atleast 1500-2000

d3) Plucking - fixed by weight (not time); Rs 7/- per kg; 8 quintals yield: atleast 5600 per acre

Now let's see what can he really cut-down on, should he choose to. He can't do a thing about the Rs 12000/- labour charges, unless he/his own family substitute these jobs. He can't put in less seeds can he, nor can he take risks with pesticide (that may just finish off a good crop), he may cut down on a bag of fertiliser - but he knows that for sure affects the yield!!!

3. The Premium/Advance Booking/a Marketing MBA innovation - Temptation

This is a more involved piece - some bit of "math" involved here. So let me save this for tomorrow's update - got to catch an early morning flight tomorrow guys -so that I do proper justice to our Revelation no#3.

For those who can't really wait for the bottomline, what about Kaveri man????? All this understanding doesn't add up to much. We have breakups for most regions, and who is doing what where (I mean, likely to), but that doesn't change the picture for Kaveri - on an all-india basis, for 2013 season.

Why, 'cos the consensus is Kaveri has done 8-10 lakhs in Maharashtra last year. Some improvement over this doesn't change their all India 2012 picture of 40 lakhs by much. The key to the puzzle goes back to Andhra Pradesh and what they do there. If they have to do 50 lakh packets (25% growth) or more this 2013 season, the bulk of it has to come from AP.

To be continued- sorry, for the break. don't go away, do come back for more stuff, should you be interested in becoming better-informed. For only then can your investment decision-making be more insightful;), atleast that's what we ValuePickrs believe in.

Cheers

-Donald

3 Likes

Awesome job Donald and team.

I haven’t seen any analyst going into so much detail and building such a grounds up report. Most of them seems probably sitting in their cozy room are preparing their excel report.

Thanks a ton for sharing and letting many of us know what a stock research should really be.

Donald,

Your reports are like a magnet. It keeps me drawing back for more. Dil Mange more…Its a class act. A massive YES from me for more

1).

** Hybrids.There **

too much difference between the top hybrids but there is a significant difference between top hybrids and the local hybrids.2.

choice!!!

** Input costs varies from 17000/- to 20000/- per acre. Plucking costs in Gujarat is at Kg(which used to be Rs.2/- per kg 6yrs back - high inflation is no wonder). The variables are pesticides and the water costs. does not have access to canals or their own tubewells, may have to purchase water from others and have to bear the additional costs. The pesticides costs varies depending upon the weather. To survive they need to have the price realisation of 25,000/- Rs/acre if they have good acreage while for those who are having very less qty of land, they need even more to survice. So depending upon the yield + price of cotton (not only yield).

We are roughly yielding around 10-12 quintals per acre with Rasi seeds. In Saurashtra region, the yield is even higher at 12-15 quintals per acre if monsoon is favourable and irrigation water is available.

Great work Donald and really really missed taking part in this trip!

Yes, the growth planned by Kaveri is largely in AP.

Have the following queries for you:

1. Is this “all top seeds are same” funda not applicable to AP? From what we have heard so far in AP, it looked like Kaveri had a definite edge with a superior product. Probably the soil conditions and other factors help Kaveri to have an edge in AP?

2. Labor cost is the biggest burden for farmers. Kaveri’s seeds had an advantage of easy plucking…but if payment is based on per kg basis and not time, then cost is same even if plucking is easier? Yes laborers may prefer a farm with more of Kaveri’s plants, but no cost advantage for farmer.

3. 60% of last year’s sales came from outside AP. So the future is not as promising if they can’t grow outside AP too. Especially next year (2014 June quarter) will be more challenging. Growing further in AP will be much more difficult after a superlative growth this year.

For FY14 a 30%+ growth looks achievable from the ground level info we have.

Thank you for taking “investigative research” to a totally different level.

Cheers

Vinod

Discl: Invested and is my top holding. Without the great Hyderabad trip with Donald, OM and Tirumal I would have found it very difficult to have such high conviction.

Hi Manish,

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs. It’s clear that things are not much different in Gujarat either.

Is it correct to say that the farmer usually does not get the benefit of the higher prices. This year farmer has sold out all/most of his stock at sub 3800-3900 by Dec whereas prices rose thereafter from February or so to 4500-4800-5000. It is the Trade which locks in the higher prices prevailing now (Ginning Mills and Traders who can store some, who else).

If I understand correctly, the farmer gets a price around the MSP (Minimum Support Price, announced by the Govt.). So last year he would have mostly got ~3800-3900. To survive he needs at least 8-10 quintals per acre, or Rs.30400-38000, so he can also feed his family for the year (his costs are at least 17000-20000 per acre). If he does only 6-7 quintals/acre he is barely covering costs.

Please comment on the above. Is it right to say the Farmer hardly gets any benefit from higher prices. The only benefit is to the extent that the Farmer is assured of higher MSP for next season, if prices reign higher for most of the year.

What was the MSP, when cotton prices were at Rs 6000, a year earlier? Any insights on how MSPs are fixed? When in the year, once a year?

-Donald

2). choice!!! survive.

Hi Manish,

You are right there is a lot of difference between Top Hybrids and local or non-performing hybrids. In the context of Kaveri’s performance - the non-performing or local hybrids do not matter.

Some initial thoughts, which we can start to refine with comments coming in from you and other experienced members. The bigger point being made here is that while there is only 19-20 ka farak among top Hybrids, there is still a Nuziveedu which stands tall among equals.

Clearly there are things Nuziveedu has done differently from the others. While Rasi, Mahyco and Ajeet have played a shortage-premiumisation game (and thus played the Trade), Nuziveedu has reportedly strived at creating a demand pull for its brands - by working at the Customers (farmer’s) requirements at the local level. Ankur Seeds is another good example of the same strategy, but they are strong only in Vidharba, and have not really been able to replicate it in Southern states. They claim to be no2 or no3 in North - Punjab Haryana Gujarat.

Those who have played the Premium creation game payed the price ofcomplacence, have suffered and slowly gone out of reckoning. Rasi is one big example which has lost out completely in the biggest markets AP & Maharshtra - more because of this than really that their next generation hybrids are inferior to Nuziveedu or Kaveri’s.

The premiumisation game works only till the time the hybrids perform. Ajeet & Mahyco also lost out majorly because of this and the accent onartificialshortage creation. Taking bookings at 5x production. Mahyco 7351 is a good performing hybrid and so is Ajeet 155. they are banking on this majorly and last year scaled up production 2x-3x. But their hold on the market is mostly with the traders (wanting to make a fast buck on the premiums), and not so much the farmers at the ground level.

Kaveri is so far seen to be bucking the temptation of the shortage-premium game, and is clearly trying to emulate Nuziveedu or do better. It has naturally concentrated most on AP, and less in Maharshtra where it is present significantly only over last 3 years vs 10-12 of Nuziveedu and the strong local presence/origin of Ajeet & Mahyco (Marathwada, teh biggest trading region) and Ankur in Wardha/Vidharbha.

More on the Premiumisation game in my next post - which is a bit involved. Want some more time to put it across properly.

Invite folks to check this out with contacts/professionals in the Cotton Market.

-Donald

1).

** Hybrids.There **

hybrids.

Donald,

Hats off to you for the kind of in depth analysis you do. I haven’t seen this kind of analysis even from the top notch analysts of big domestic and international brokerage houses.

Regards,

Ankit

Donald,

Hats off for “The Great” analysis and the Open forum for discussion. I got to learn more from this forum than what I was taught in MBA (nonsense). But being a lazy soul, couldnt work on my learnings much, but WIP :slight_smile:

superior product.

>>This aspect needs more facts/data coming in. But I am sort of getting round to the widely held view of experts - on the ground there is not even a 5% yield difference between properly cultivated top hybrids. The game is all about good branding, staying relevant to the farmer’s needs, “hammering” in your brand-positioning just prior/and during buying season (late April/May/June), so when the farmer ventures out to buy (June 5-Jun30), your brand is in his mind-share.

__

When the farmer goes in to buy, he has his first-choice firm in his mind, and that’s 50% of his requirement. And usually that’s the region’s favourite. like Nuziveedu in Adilabad, Jadoo in Guntur, Ankur in Hinganghat, Mahyco in Jalna,etc. You can’t really do much about that, can you. But there is the balance 50% - don’t forget that. If you have done your band-baaza well (like Nuziveedu does) then you can be the automatic 2nd or 3rd choice. Since the farmer knows he cannot put all his eggs in one basket, he has to try another top hybrid, or a new one promising better results for something that’s a bother right now like say - the sucking pest is. The farmer usually plants 2-3 hybrids alongside. If the new second choice performs as good, then it has a chance of getting entrenched (like Jadoo has done in AP, but not yet managed the same in Maharashtra, they are like a 4th choice there).

>>There, you are bang on. No cost advantage for a Jadoo farmer due to easy plucking, that’s right. But labour may prefer to work first on a Jadoo farm for faster turnaround!

1. 60% AP. **

>> Aa…not so fast. It’s not that they cant grow outside AP, that’s not the conclusion we are reaching. The conclusion is they have a home advantage and many more years/relationships on the ground in AP, so they can exploit that advantage better in AP. In Maharshtra they have a good name for the last 2-3 years presence, need to do more grass-root work for another couple of years before they can become a significant player (a 3rd choice maybe vs the entrenched Nuziveedu across regions, and the Mahyco/Ajeet and Ankur’s regional strongholds).

__

So far in Maharshtra, they have not been consistent across regions - Yavatmal -yes, Wardha -no, etc - and hope that their products continue to perform for the next 2-3 years (before Nature eventually throws up a new challenge). Kaveri seems to be on the right track though, every dealer conceded; they are just hoping that Kaveri stays close to the farmers needs, keeps evolving new hybrids suited for the region/soil type new pests like the sucking pest Jadoo has had some success with, etc. They hope they don’t get complacent and tempted to play the much easier shortage/premium game - which others like Rasi, Ajeet & Mahyco had fallen prey to.

Looks like there is no escaping the shortage/premiumisation gaming discussion anymore, now:)

>> I would say that they should do at least 20-25% as guided. Upsides can be higher, yes> if they do well this year, next year should be much easier for Kaveri!!

Time for acknowledgements again:). Raj, Tony, Ankit, Richa - We are glad that you find the research convincing. That has always been ValuePickr’s aim - if we can transfer our conviction to more & more folks, it means we are on the right track - performance will eventually be taken care of! If we can inspire more and more of us joining in on this quest, ValuePickr could be on top of many more businesses:), so we do have our motives too!

That the research does reach a certain level is the combined hard work of many. We spend a lot of time beforehand trying to zero down on what to fcous on - lot of hard work went into this by Vinod MS first, and then Omprakash & Tirumal. Each week they have taken this quest further, and got us primed for the kill:) -when in Maharashtra. By then we knew 80% of the terrain, so obviously the quizzing this time is of a higher order. And if we do a 3rd round with Kaveri Management in August (around AGM), no guesses that we will be probing really deep. And then keeping on top of the company/industry becomes much easier.

Lastly, Gaurav Chandak and Saurabh Shankar - please don’t underplay your roles. Getting to the right persons is at least as important as the quizzing we can do. Else this can take much more time. Everyone is amazed at the wealth of info unearthed in just a couple of days, right - but that’s more a tribute to us being able to zero in on whom to meet, and then somehow making those meetings happen. Your facilitating those meetings - putting in a good word about our earnestness perhaps, sets the tone for the meeting. I think they become pre-disposed to sharing openly (if we are upto asking the right questions:)).

Because of you two, and the leads you gave, opened up leads to almost everyone that we wanted to meet in any region. Now how priceless is that - only an Analyst knows:). We certainly don’t expect every ValuePickr to drop everything and join us on our field-trips/management Q&As, you may not have the bandwidth or the passion for that. But we certainly want to expand the network of access to industry professionals through every ValuePickr who can chip in -help open doors - that’s a great service you can do for the ValuePickr community. Please keep it up and keep inspiring others.

Cheers

Donald

Hi Donald,

This is an amazingscuttlebutt approach. I am simply awestruck at the level of research done by all of you experienced investors in this forum. All this info is simply invaluable for investing for long term and will certainly help all investors in this forum. Finally, take a bow for super-awesome research work.

Regards,

Vikas Kukreja

Great work / Great clarity of thought process / Great humility …Donald.

Meanwhile stores incharge of Indira Gandhi Medical College in Shimla is a known person…as and when we analyse pharma sector he can be helpful please let me know / I shall also exploit other contacts.

The Shortage-Premium-Bookings Game : 10 Pointers to prevalent strategies

The intricacies in this game are a new learning (last couple of days). We will be referring back to the experts to vet what we have penned down below. Please allow for errors in specifics, but we should have got it, generally right!

1. It must be conceded Advance Bookings are a boon for the Cotton Seed Industry. It takes care of Production Costs & Working Capital. Cash Flows look good. The business starts looking good enough to scale by itself.

2. To be able to command Advance Bookings you first need a top-performing hybrid though. Dealers know that Farmers come with a fixed-mindset about their first-choice seed, which is 50% of his requirement. If he doesn't have stock, the farmer will move on to the next dealer who has. So once a hybrid is established, life becomes a lot easier, & how! It is an open secret that Mahyco & Ajeet top hybrids sell at a huge premium - Rs 1500 to Rs 2000 per packet (vs regulation Rs 930 per packet). There seems to be a perennial shortage for these products - some say, perhaps deliberate!

3. The cotton Seed Industry is peculiar that the entire Sales for the year is effectively over in May-June (pre-sowing). While initial placements are made in May, the peak sales time is June 5-June 30, effectively. For reasons cited above, Dealers have to ensure that they have enough stock during May-June. Else trade shifts to the one who has.

4. To plan better, companies started the practice of bookings - to ensure that they had a better hold on demand situation, not be caught unawares where they have planned for x, but demand showed up as 3x, especially as the selling season is very short. What had thus probably started as a demand-forecasting, supply-planning mechanism slowly degenerated into the current practice - that is responsible for many of the ills facing the industry. Shortage - demand craze - huge premiums - unviable economics for the farmer - spurious seeds - falling performance - farmer suicides, et al.

5. There emerged an entire breed of Trader Dealers who saw the opportunity to make a quick buck from this shortage-premium situation. They are willing to deal with a company only if it had products that commanded a premium. Seed Dealers mushroomed in every district. Everyone was willing to pay advance bookings to the company that had a top performing hybrid for a regions, or a few regions.

Wardha itself has over 850 seed dealers (where 50 might have sufficed). Never mind that they knew there would be very little local sowing (Wardha's first choice is Ankur hybrids - to its credit the company has steadfastly ensured adequate supply), most of it will be purchased by farmers from other regions, where there is a shortage. So dealers in Wardha would also pay huge advances for Mahyco & Ajeet to take advantage of the premium market.

6. So let's try and understand why or how this came about. It did not take long for the MBA recruits at Seed companies to figure out - hey, it is our seeds that are in demand, but all this premium money is being captured by the trade (none of it is coming to the company). Company still had to supply the dealers as per the booking Schemes Rs.930 minus dealer discounts.

They also figured out soon that this demand-craze also provided a cool way to book the entire years sales, without much additional work. There was no shortage of dealers wanting to pay advances - at a 20% advance rate, all you had to do was take bookings for 5x the actual Inventory, and allocate only to the amount actually collected. They were clever enough to build in Schemes that encouraged higher Advances - the higher the advance you give, the higher discount slab you are entitled to, volume discounts, cash discounts. Every dealer wanted to ensure a higher allocation for him, and was not averse to paying higher Advances than what he actually thought he could sell - you don't mind paying the company Adv of 3 Cr, if you think that would ensure you would get supplies worth of 2 Cr!

Packets
Scheme Amount
Booking 2000 @200 400,000.00
Allocation 400 (20%) @930 372,000.00
Dealer Discount
@25/pkt 10,000.00
Volume Discount 400 @45/pkt 18,000.00
Payable by Dealer 344,000.00

So if the dealer is the one really benefiting from our premium hybrids, the least he should be willing to do is finance our production costs and Working Capital!May be a prevalent reasoning:)

7. This started working nicely for both sides - Cotton Seed Companies and the Traders - the traders actively encouraging the companies to sustain the Premiums. Now premiums could sustain on genuine product strength/demand, or also through artificially created Shortage/Premium - which companies like Rasi, Ajeet & Mahyco reportedly adopted. There would always be aperennialshortage for these products - they took to gaming the Premium!

Mahyco ran into some production problems in last couple of years, but probably didn't stop taking the advances. There are reports of only 3% -6% allocations in most regions, precipitating the situation! Things went that bad, and caused lot of harm to the reputation.

8. Like most things in Life, this too had a flip side. This gaming strategy is sustainable so long as your hybrid remains in top demand. Companies like Rasi (at one time India No#1 at 55 lakh packets) fell by the wayside as their next generation hybrids could not match the newly emerging hybrids like Nuziveedus Mallika or Banni which proved better suited for new challenges that nature threw up. Rasi completely lost its foothold in Andhra Pradesh and Maharshtra, the biggest markets. Mahyco similarly was out of the market for almost 3 years. They are making a comeback this year with 7351, as is Ajeet with 155.

9. Nuziveedu reportedly took a different approach and concentrated on building grounds-up demand for its products. Getting close to the farmer, holding demonstrations, creating awareness about the right type of hybrid for the right soil condition, early duration hybrid vs long duration hybrid. They concentrated on occupying customers mind-share, so that they slowly captured an automatic second choice position in all 3 regions Marathwada, Vidharbha and Khandesh. This led to more product trials, and since the hybrids were equivalent or better, more adoption in subsequent years. And since there supplies were adequate always available, it encouraged higher switch for those who thought why pay huge premium when something equivalent/better is available. Kaveri is also reportedly trying to walk this path. It has focused its efforts mostly on AP this year; In Maharshtra too it is making some efforts to get close to the farmer's requirements and address them. Both Nuziveedu and Kaveri Products are also known to sell above MRP in some pockets at 1100 or 1200 per packet. But probably they have done the balancing act better - rather than getting completely taken over by the huge temptation of playing mainly the Premium game.

10. This year now it is an open secret that almost everyone (Top 5) has doubled or tripled Production base (except Nuziveedu). As per a leading Seed Company, everyone is going to find the going tough, the only one who is in a comfortable inventory position is Nuziveedu.

One would have thought that this premium game would then have abated. But some reports indicate that the total Advance Collections are Rs 1600 Cr this year. At 20% this would indicate Sales for 8000 Cr. Whereas we know, Market size cannot exceed 4000 Cr (~4 Cr packets @Rs 1000 a packet)! It might actually shrink by 10%!

So obviously there is more to this game. No seed company will like to lose the Advance Booking advantage. If they provide 100% allocation, they would be giving the game away, that there is surplus - this in turn queers the pitch for the next year - Dealers may demand paying lower Advances next year, or refuse to pay Advances.

Need to ponder:

Apart from the cut-throat competition, marketing promotions, big volume discounts, Seed companies will probably need to do a better balancing act, in allocations! They may choose not to liquidate complete inventory by way of bookings through dealers, but let loose other promotion schemes directly in the market. Those with adequate financial muscle may choose to carry over 30-40% inventory for the next year?? (usually they provision for 20% more production and are willing to carry that), even if they thought they could sell 100%??

Where do the odds lie??

1 Like

Hi Donald,

Fascinating insights and really super duper work.

On the question of odds, since you have done such super ground work and have your ears so close to the ground, why not wait, till the seed selling season is over, to find the odds?

There will be a good 1 month difference (?) between the seed selling season on the ground and by the time formal results are out for Kaveri. If we can keep a tab on things, we can position ourselves well as per market’s outcome. Given what i have heard from you, it’s seems not so easy to spot the odds here.

Regards