Is there any way to Buy Stocks in US market from India?

Thanks

Looks a bit over the top for me.

Will settle for Mirae FANG or Motilal Nasdaq 100.

@stanksali I think the indexation could be a grey area without much clarity. I havent looked up IT act yet.

FT article

> The tax treatment of the capital gains arising from the transfer of shares listed on a foreign stock exchange shall be similar to the capital gains from the unlisted shares.
*> *
> Long-term capital gains arising from the sale of unlisted equity shares shall be taxable at the rate of 20 per cent plus surcharge and health & education cess. The benefit of Indexation would be available to the resident taxpayers.

Curious on your early stage bets. Aligns with my area of interest and risk appetite.

@rakbals Why do you think indexation is a grey area? Don’t think there is any. As you have rightly mentioned, LTCG for unlisted / foreign equities = 20% with indexation. We are saying the saying thing!

In your post above mine, looks like you may have by mistake mentioned, “Capital Tax is short term @ slab rate (< 2 years), Long term(> 2 years) is 20% without indexation, 10% with Indexation.”

@stanksali Corrected it.

1 Like

You can try vested account. Personally I am using it for my international diversification purpose. https://vested.co.in/

Disadvantage of using vested account only 1800 stocks can be bought and sold and no short selling is allowed.

My USA stock investing Journey:

2019 - Vested:
My USA stock investing search and journey started way back in 2019.
So at that time, I searched on the internet and founded vested. I created the account and got joining bonus of $5. I used that money and invested.
During that time, adding money to the US Stock account was a tedious process(even now :sweat_smile: )
Vested allowed to add money via HDFC, ICICI, AXIS, KOTAK banks( by visiting the branch). Later they added CITI and few other banks and this is again the same offline process.
Finally sometime later they online process only for ICICI bank.( I didn’t have this bank account).

At this point of time, Vested planned to close my account since it is dormant and I didn’t any funds for so long.

2020 - Ind money app :
I signed up in indmoney app since I wanted to try this.
At that time I have few tens of dollars invested in vested account (referral bonus and share price appreciation)

Here comes the Important part :
Like we have CDSL - as a depository to store our shares in Demat form irrespective of the brokers you use like Zerodha, Upstox etc.,

Vested and Ind money app used a company called “Drive Wealth” - a depository to store our shares.

Then, My mind clicked and gave me an idea, so I mailed the Ind money team whether I can transfer the shares from “Vested Drive wealth account” to “Ind money Drive wealth” (through internal transfer).

Share Asset transfer form : Internal_Transfer_of_Assets.pdf (278.5 KB)

Because Vested will close my account if I didn’t add any funds, also If I want to withdraw the share amount, Flat $11 has to be paid as a withdrawl fee to vested, which is of no use to me since most of the profit will go for the fees.

Now all the assets are transferred to Indmoney free of cost (I safeguarded my shares). Somehow I secured my few tens of dollars invested in vested. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Closed the vested account.
Till this time, depositing funds in Ind money account also tedious process like vested.

2021 : Groww App :

Groww app then introduced the US stock investing and they gave 10$ bonus free for first time adding of money. Kotak, ICICI, IndusInd, HDFC, IDFC bank allowed online process here.
Here, I used Kotak bank and added $126 (Rs. 9295.02).
After completing the transfer, send a email to Groww Team to notify that you added the money.
Note : Groww depository is not drive wealth

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 8.51.33 PM

My Observations :

• All banks will charge max - 1500 Rs irrespective of the amount you add.
  • Only ICICI will charge 750rs approx if its less than 1000$ and 1500rs for more than 1000$.
  • Each time whenever you add money, you need to upload your Income proof or ITR statement to justify the amount you are adding is legit. - "This is as per RBI norms"
  • For HDFC bank alone, the process has one more extra step. You need to send email to their bank also to process the transfer. (Other banks don’t require this).

While doing the transfer, please don’t forget to input Additional Information field and don’t make any mistake. Always double check, Otherwise if the transaction fails, 30$ (2300 Rs approx.) fine amount will be charged.

Which bank is good according to me ?

Kotak - Forex rate is good and online process was smooth and easy
Indusind - Online Process will be smooth but need to shed few 100 Rs extra
ICICI - Forex rate is high and charges upto 500$ is less and more than 1000$ is more.
HDFC - process is tedious.
IDFC - forex rate high.

When I checked the final amount payable across all these, I found Kotak bank is best.

2021 - Again back to Indmoney :

Still I am not convinced to pay 1500 Rs. charge while adding money each time.
Finally I came across this email,
Yes finally the US stock funding is completely free with 2 in 1 Ind super saver account.
Basically you need to create this account which is provided by SBM Bank (State bank of Mauritius) (RBI approved). Then you can add the money like in Zerodha - Its simple and free. But Need to add ITR proof here as well.
Previously I mentioned Kotak is best, but this SBM bank gave even more good forex rate for me than Kotak.

Screenshot 2021-10-09 at 9.16.34 PM

Also now tried stockal.com, but again this is not good according to me, because there is minimum of 50$ needs to be added each time and similar tedious process like vested as mentioned above. One plus point in this website is NRI can add the money even using their foreign bank account. Also, Stockal depository is not drive wealth.

Final comparison :

Why still I am not convinced to buy Direct US stocks:

1. I still not convinced to invest in Direct US equities because "NOT ALL THE SHARES CAN BE BOUGHT FRACTIONALLY, Some of the shares you have to pay 1 quantity with full amount.
  2. Adding money - Buying shares - selling and withdrawing → This complete process take minimum 7-10 working days, so its only for long term investing. Short term investing/trading follows the above cycle and there is a fee involved for withdrawal, so your profit has to more than the fee paid.
  3. US is developed economy, that’s why US people are investing in India (developing economy) to get more returns.
  4. I have Motilal Nasdaq 100 ETF. Now SP500, Fang+ Index ETF, SP500 Top 50 ETFs and FoFs are launched in India. So It’s convenient for me here itself.
  5. Position sizing matters, I can’t keep 1 or 2 quantities of 300$ or 1000$ share and boast about that I am invested in USA.

Still If I want to invest in US stocks, I found Indmoney is the best option as of now. But I want the process to be fast and with less fees like we do in Zerodha here, then only I consider allocating more funds to US stocks.

DM me if you want any Referral codes for all the above apps.

21 Likes

Thansks @xmenwolverine @stanksali for the in depth research details on investing in foreign stocks.
I had one question on Interactive brokers charges structure , it does not mention Brokerage charges or withdrawal fees. It just mentions ‘Account minimums’ & ‘Inactivity fees’

Do you have the details on the same.

And , one more question I had was can we invest in all US based stocks/ETFs through the mentioned brokers - IBKR,Vested, Stockal , Groww ? I know Vested as mentioned previously on the thread is limited to 1800 stocks , however didn’t find that mentioned or referenced in their website.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Some useful and relevant details here -

6 Likes

Hi Guys - I have been an investor in Indian markets for a while but given the interesting valuations in the US market planning to start. My source of research/knowledge has usually been Screener, Valuepickr and Twitter accounts.

Can someone suggest similar alternatives to Screener and Valuepickr and a few good Twitter accounts to follow for a deep and holistic study of US stocks?

Hi @Pratul_Gupta,
you may try www.seekingalpha.com if not done already

roic.ai
Quatr
Annual reports. 10k, investor day presentations, concalls, analyst presentations. There is no vp substitute but i do discuss on my thread about businesses i find useful. Another guy who looks at this space closely is @Tar & @Worldlywiseinvestors & @ashkrithik

3 Likes

Thanks a lot Sahil. This is really helpful!

Maybe we can start a thread on US stock ideas on VP? Would love to keenly participate along with others you mentioned.

Absolutely. Please start a q&a thread.

2 Likes

In addition to TIKR, I find Seeking Alpha pretty useful. Primarily for the breadth of coverage and the curated content in editor’s picks. Also has the option of paid subscription to certain authors whose work you’d want to follow more closely.

1 Like

I want to start small in investing in US equites directly…

What are the best and lowest cost options available to convert from INR to USD and vice versa🤔

I have one question from security and compliance point of view while buying US stocks from platforms like Stockal (partnership with HDFC Securities), Interactive brokers(with ICICI Sec), Indmoney, Groww etc.

I understand that the money is not directly linked with individuals like india’s demat accounts. But your money is linked with brokers. I guess this will be the general scenario for US based brokers. Am I wrong here?
Anyway, have people encountered any mis-hap while transacting with the platforms that I mentioned above?

I recently started my journey in international investing. I am using vested.

All was okay until today when I wanted to buy a certain stock and it was not listes on the app
…on asking the customer support team, they tell me that stock is not available with their partner broker because it’s market cap is less than $ 1 Billion.

I am quite disappointed with this since and would want to consider any other Broker without such illogical mcap limits.

Does groww or indmoney have such limits ?
Any other brokers ?

1 Like

Hello tribe?

Can someone suggest a reliable and good stock recommendation/analysis service for US stocks?

Motleyfool? SeekingAlpha? etc

2 Likes