Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

This is not an investing question. But I don’t find any topic related to this. I am a software engineer. I want to do algotrading on stocks by using news. So which news API will be best for fetching news data between 9:15 - 3:30.

Thanks in advance sorry for asking here

Is it possible to make a ratio on screener regarding return on incremental investment on capital?
If yes, how to go about it?

1 Like

2f6b16b4-7abd-4ff6-b7db-3b8819225c6e.pdf - Google Chrome 20-11-2021 18_13_46 (2)

Shown is quarterly result of Thirumalai Chemicals…Can anyone pls tell why two different EPS have been mentioned?

Hi,

I am new in stock market investing and i want to know how i can understand valuation of company wether its expensive or not?

Anyone can please help me in my querie

thanks

Please let us know your understanding of expensive.

Thank you

I am new here and in stock market also :blush:, can anyone explain me how to calculate dr. Malik Self sustainable growth rate ? , With example, i will be thankful

1 Like

Thank you very much for help
How can I calculate net fix asset ? Or net fixed asset = net block ?
And also is there any other way to calculate SSGR other than Dr. Malik Sir’s formula ?

Net Fixed Asset = Total Fixed Assets - Depreciation

In tools like screener, the value given against the term “Fixed Assets” in the balance sheet is Net fixed assets.

SSGDR is probably coined by Dr. Malik. There’s Sustainable Growth rate. That’s ROE (1-Dividend payout ratio).

1 Like

I had a question regarding Corporate Governance

I was looking at Satia Industries and I noticed something peculiar in the shareholding

A large part of public shareholding is with a few companies. The strange part here is that Satia is the only public company where all of these investors have any stake. Also, it got me curious as to why a Cotton company, a logistics company, a design company and a transport company all have such significant stakes in a paper company. I did some basic google search and found out that all these companies have a registered office in the same city - Mukstar, Punjab. The same city where Satia is located. Not a lot of operational information or website could be found about any of these investors.

How should I read into this? These shareholders have been there since the IPO and have sold only small stakes so far. It is possible that they are old friends of the promoters or invested capital at an early stage. Is this something that could be ignored or does it smell fishy?

1 Like

In one of the con-call, Mr Bhandari was asked this question, his reply was,
Initially Satia was listed on Ludhiana stock exchange, so their shareholders were all local peoples, these people are not related to promoters and some of these still holding Satia in large quantities.
I read this as good faith & confidence of local investors on Satia industries.

Disc : Invested heavily

3 Likes

Was checking P & L of Pratap snacks.
Why tax is negative there ?

Check the Annual Report

1 Like

Thanks Chandragupta . .

1 Like

Hi Guys, One basic accounting question

There is Company A and Company B (75% subsidiary of Company A).

Company A sold materials worth 100 Crores to Company B and they will receive 100cr 6 months later

So in the standalone balance sheet of each company, Company A’s trade receivable is 100 Cr, Company B’s trade payables is 100 Cr.

How this will look in the consolidated balance sheet of Company A. Same question for the debt company A providing to Company B

Sir there is an extremely common term of PE re-rating. What does it practically means and how the stock rerates?
Thanks

Rerating is an important concept in the markets. Rerating happens mainly when the markets bids up the prices higher, in expectations of higher earnings or better prospects. For example company A with EPS of 10 might be trading at 100, which makes PE of 10 (100/10), now there is change in the prospects of the company, and the market feels, the company’s earnings will increase or some other change like management changes, as result the markets rerates the stock to PE of 20. Then the price becomes 200 ( 200/10) PE now is 20. The same earnings are now valued higher. Hope this clarifies.

Thank you Sir.

Could you advice some basic book from which to study all these topics.
Non finance and Engineering background

These balances will not be shown in the Consolidated Balance Sheet as both the companies will be treated as one.

@sai_sirish Is this is the case even if A is not 100% owner of B. In this case B is 75% owned subsidiary.