Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

1 Like

Hi folks,
I have been following this company called Sigma Solve ltd since last couple of years and they seem to be doing well.
I have question regarding their recent corporate filing. So their majority of revenue comes from Sigma Solve Inc (a subsidiary of Sigma Solve ltd) which they owned 60% earlier and now it is raised to 100%.

I don’t understand how the raising to 100% is done (as there is no outflow of cash). following is the statement which i don’t understand.

Here is the corporate filing

Sigma Solve Inc. is the Subsidiary
Company of Sigma Solve Limited
(“SSL”). SSL held 59.81% stake in the
Subsidiary. However the said stake of
59.81% has raised to 100% as a result
of Buy Back of Securities floated by the
Sigma Solve Inc. SSL has refused to
participate into the Buy Back of Sigma
Solve Inc. and as a result today when
the Buy Back has completed in Sigma
Solve Inc. the stake of SSL in Sigma
Solve Inc. is 100% and made it its
Wholly Owned Subsidiary. Also, there
was no Outflow of Cash from the funds
of the Company.

Totally going by what you posted, I understood that SSL hold 59.8% stake in SSI, remaining stake were with some other shareholders. Now, SSI has bought back few of its own shares (40.2%) and since SSL havent participated, all shares that were bought back were from remaining shareholder portion. Effectively, post this, there were no share left with other shareholders and hence SSL became 100% shareholder of SSI

1 Like

thanks for your response. I dont uderstand why there is no outflow of cash from the funds
of the company for purchasing these shares?

Hi,
Sorry for the inconvenience. i wanted to understand as per which document were you trying to verify in CFI?

1. there are no subsidiary financial statements available.
  2. FY2023 AR (SSL Holding SSI - 59.8%) was filed in september when Cooperate announcement came in october.

this is the doc

Based on my limited knowledge, as far as I understand if the parent company if acquiring the share then it needs to pay up to the owner but this filing states that there was no cash outflow.

It states following

Also, there
was no Outflow of Cash from the funds
of the Company.

Greeting to all,

I just have one question

In a company where Promoter sold their 24%stake and it got bought by DII ( increased from 16% to 33% name:- Quant, Icici, Bnp paribas, goldman, mirae etc) and & FII ( increased from 3% to 10%)

How to look this transaction?

Thanks

1 Like

Q1-How a recent US crediworthiness downgrade by moody’ may effect US bond yieds ?
Q2-Can this downgrade relate to indian stock market , if its interlinked to indian stock market at all ?

Rating agencies have their own shades of black, citizens of US who know about GFC know this. This being said, if the reasons for a downgrade have merit, the reasons why not necessarily new and were present in the past, but if the present situation cannot be compared to the past, there could be some affect. Wall Street knows what it is doing. I have got not one bit of idea about US bond yields, but have a little idea about our bonds, our creditworthiness, our rating agencies, so doing some extrapolation.

As far as your second question is concerned, all are interconnected economies, and as such, interconnected markets, so if there is a damaging reaction over there, I guess it will reflect in our market too. Profit booking always happens, even when the results are good, so if the big movers change their stance, so will the participants below them, at least for the shorter term. And if we believe that participants are taking informed decisions, becoming matured, and buying the dip has become a strategy, then the effect on our market could be less.

Very vague thoughts, so take them with a bag of salt.

1 Like

Where to find the post earning notes for balu forge? I went to their investor relations page and checked it out. I couldn’t find Q2 post earning notes…

Hi,

How to develop deep understanding of any business or industries. How to understand business model of any business. Please guide what resources do we need as a good investor.

https://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachHis/7a8b6333-38c7-41d3-ad7b-e1534ee5ffca.pdf

1 Like

There are number of ways one could do that, because learning is not the same for everyone. One can start with the traditional way of learning through books way to have good understanding about the overall structure of the markets, businesses, concepts, as books are detailed, focused works. If you already have some idea, then you can watch videos to know how some concepts actually work. We can also get some broad understanding from reading articles which explain different concepts, or spend time in forums like VP and read what intrigues you.

Learning can be structured like learning alphabets, words, and then sentences, or we can learn in bits and pieces and try to put them together. It can be done concept by concept, or getting a broad understanding about various concepts, enough to start go forward, if we want to go forward soon, and the learning continues.

Deep understanding is the next level, as the word says, we can go deep only when he have good understanding. Can we talk to the governor of RBI right after getting a job in the bank? I am guessing not.

Business models could be different for different companies even if they are in the same industry. A company’s business model can be different if the management wants to do things differently, if the nature of the business permits.

Choose an option which suits you, there are many many ways to do this, but no matter the option, all of this takes time, if you are now. And there is always some evolution, as there are new things to learn, or we look at things in a different way as we gain experience. It will take time to settle down with a certain philosophy and process.

Here are list of books from Dr. Hitesh, if you want to go the books way.

I am in learning phase too, so take the essence of what I am saying, and choose your own way.

2 Likes

Thanks for your valuable response.

1 Like

Can anyone tell what does the E symbols near the volume bars tell ,
If it is telling about results of a co. , they why is it showing near december month(this co. has posted results 4 days earlier)

the E indicates Earnings aka Quarterly Results, but Trading view gives next quarter results in advance, assuming the tentative dates and estimates of revenues and PAT…check their fundamental screener for more info…

fc4c43b8-e7c0-41ae-8400-3464b16690dd.pdf (bseindia.com)
The co. has declared its results on 9 november , then why is its E button showing in december month in tradingview

Can somebody explain this to me with some other examples what does discount rate actually mean?
Like in this example I was going to take 1 week vacation then if I postpone it for 1 year I would demand 1 extra day off?? How? How days 6 days in future is equivalent to 5 days now?
The snippet is from 5 rules of successful investing by pat dorsey.

1 Like

Hi

"One can start with the traditional way of learning through books way to have good understanding about the overall structure of the markets, businesses, concepts, as books are detailed, focused works. " If possible please suggest some online resources, books , tools etc to develop understanding of different business or industries to begin with. It will be very helpful

I have given the link to the books recommendation by Dr. Hitesh. Books are the standard way of learning something, as they are detailed and dedicated works. If you are an absolute beginner, I guess reading a book will give you some idea, and you can search online later.

2 Likes