Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

I did not read the book.

Context, they are money managers, we are retail. So I don’t think we can compare ourselves with people who manage money. They can afford to wait, as it is their profession, and waiting is part of their work, and they know if their wait will be worth their return, it may not or may not be, even they may miss some opportunities, and they invest across asset classes, across countries, across markets, some may restrict themselves to specific investments.

Also they can compensate time with money, they can deploy large capital at opportune times, wait for the tide to turn, tell their clients to be patient, who I believe are not retail, so understand the virtue of being patient, and when the tide turns they make high return, which when stretched to years may look like compounding. If the tide does not turn, they may come out of their positions ASAP. This aspect of getting in and out quickly is practiced by retail too.

So I don’t think we can afford to look at time like that, when we still have expectations from our investments, when we still have not reached a corpus, or such targets. Once we reach an age or a level, where returns don’t excite us, when all financial responsibilities are over, then maybe we can wait, because we wont be losing anything by waiting, we are out of the race, a race we have been just with ourselves.

Not to mention the learning and experiences we gain by being in the market. And as we grow old, we tend to appreciate time more than money, time by itself, and time in relation to money, so opportunity cost may be hard to afford than loss.

And such people may have been educated in those fields, always worked in those fields, lived their entire lives in those fields, it is their journey, decades of formation, which culminates into a book or other contributions with perspectives which may or may not be applicable to all. Buffett is a great example here too, his is a journey. Dr. Hitesh is another example, one that we know in real.

Also, writers, even who write finance books, may change their perspectives for any reason, and they may write a book in complete contrast to their previous book.

Have you tried trading, whichever way it is? If you have, what has been your experience? If you have not, I can suggest you to do it, small trades, less capital, to see if trading matches you more than investing. The effort is the same, if not more, but time will be saved, quick losses may happen. Not to mention the learning which is helpful with investments too.

I think we should take individual bricks of knowledge and wisdom from wherever we find them and build our wall of perspective and application. I have found so many such bricks right here in VP, and my wall in still in construction, so take my thoughts with a pinch of salt.

3 Likes

I would recommend you the book. It will be a match with your style too. After reading the book, i got the confidence that the way i look at investing…like a owner…and not as a trader…is the time tested and correct approach…atleast for me…It matches with my temparament. But before discussing this further…i would urge you to read it…Its a masterpiece.

1 Like

@dd1474 : Dhiraj Sire - Any thoughts on how the analyst deduced the highlighted in the below conversation?

For better context, you may refer the link to the Transcript (Snippet from Page 14):

What is pre-ipo concept. Can anyone explain ?

@Surender

Esitmated FY24 Net/EBITDA Ratio mentioned in Q4 presentation, ~2.5 times.
With assumed EBITDA of Rs 1100, and 2.6 time Net Debt/EBITDA ratio, Net Debt would be ~ Rs 2,860 Cr on 31 March 2024, as against Rs 3,121 cr as on 31 March 2023 (Q4FY23 presentation slide 35)
So that would provide Decline in net debt of ~ Rs 261 Cr as against anticipated EBITDA of Rs 1,100 Cr.
Hope this explain what query you had. In case further doubt, feel free to mention.

I am enclosing my working in excel in case you need to check formuals.

Calculation with Excel formula for above sheet enclosed for your reference.
Sterlite Tech Working July 2023.xlsx (9.6 KB)

2 Likes

How inventory buildup(finished goods) can improve my EBITDA margins?

How is it that without showing money in CWIP directly fixed assets are purchased during the year.
Is it common based on business need company purchase assets which gets reflected in Balance sheet at year end ?
If yes then how to track it ? Do they file such info on Index ?

I don’t know if they have to be disclosed, but I think if the increase in assets has taken place in less than 12 months of the FY, CWIP will be 0.

You can check the filings for the whole year of the increase, if no such disclosures mare made, then check the quarterly results where the changes in assets have been mentioned.

@ankit_tripathi In the above exmaple, if one see break up of fixed assets addition, it is mostly in land. Generally, there is land purchase does not need amy improvement in caee it is developed and hence can be strigjt added to fixed assets without being going through capital work in progress. Capital work in progress would be applicable mostly for buidling and plant and machinery when comapny is implemeting large capex over more than 12 months. Even head like furniture and vehicle would be normally directly added to fixed assets as same can be used from day one after purchase and generally does not need any improvements. This is my understanding and may be wrong

4 Likes

Business: Polyplex Corporation | Reconciliation of Quaterly and yearly Other Income and EBITDA:

• Why the sum of quarterly ‘Other Income (OI)’ higher than the yearly ‘OI’?
  • Why the sum of quarterly ‘EBITDA’ lower than the yearly ‘EBITDA’?

Note: Total of sum of quarterly OI and EBITDA EQUALS to Total of yearly OI and EBITDA.

I was going through the related party transaction page of FY22 Annual report of SP Apparels and had below doubt (Page 199)

1. What does Lease Rent Paid mean? Does this mean company is paying rent to Promoter ?

2. What does Lease liability paid mean?

3. Does this unsecured loan paid by company to promoter or vice versa?

4.What does lease liability worth 259.98 mean ( last row in image) ? Is SP Apparel paying this amount as lease liability to subsidiary company

My board-level understanding is that whenever company pays rent, loans etc to promoter /other subsidiary company, it looks like promoter is trying to make money

The PE numbers on screener.in are trailing or forward PE?
Thanks

PE on screener are TTM trailing.

1 Like

Answer to your questions

1. Yes

Lease Liability: Lease liability is basically the total payment the company is obligated to make to the lessor (or key managerial person in this case) over the term of the lease agreement. This amount is the present value of all future lease payments and is recorded on the company’s balance sheet as a financial obligation. From what I understand this payment is not yet made but will be made in the future but please verify it with an accounting expert.

Lease Rent: The lease rent refers to the periodic payments made by the company to the lessor (KMP in this case) for the use of the leased asset during the lease term.

Now , the lease rent payments are made over time and are a part of the total lease liability.

Why is the Lease Rent higher than the Lease Liability then?
The lease rent can be higher than the lease liability for various reasons. It could be due to changes in the current value of the leased asset, changes in the lease agreement terms, or other factors like variable lease rent, additional charges, or lease modifications during the lease term. The answer to this can only be found in the lease agreement.

Also, the lease liability paid should have decreased in 2022 but it remained the same (5.85) in this case. Why?
Some of the reasons can be as below:
The lease agreement may have fixed lease payments, where the company is required to make fixed payments over the lease term without any changes or escalations. In such cases, the lease liability remains constant as the total obligation doesn’t change throughout the lease period.
The lease payments might be structured in a way that only a portion of the payment goes towards reducing the lease liability, while the rest covers the interest expense. In such cases, the lease liability may not decrease proportionally with each payment.
The lease liability is initially calculated based on the present value of future lease payments, using an appropriate discount rate. If there are changes in the discount rate or the way it is applied, it can influence the lease liability calculation.
It can also be due to changes in the lease agreement

1. This is the loan that company accepted from the promoter and then repaid to the promoter. Rough calculations at a rate of little more than 20 percent. Again this can be verified only with respect to the terms of the loan agreement.

2. Same as 2

1 Like

Can anyone please tell me what does realization means here? I have seen this term in many results.

1 Like

Is anyone aware of how I can search/find the top gainers for a specific timeline?

I want to find the top gainers for each year.

I think you can search for such gainers both on Screener and Chartink. I think you can either search in terms of years or weeks, I guess they provide this.

Or Zerodha recently launched this, you can check this too.

1 Like

They all provide data for the last 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc. but not for the specific time range. Ex- I want to search for top gainers from 1/01/2014 to 31/12/2014. I am looking for this type of data.

Per unit selling price.

Can someone explain Book Value Per Share in detail? This forum says BVPS is (Equity Capital + Reserves & Surplus)/Shares Outstanding. Other websites in which I was researching this, said that BVPS= (Net assets-Net Liabilities)/Outstanding shares.