Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

In this topic it is mentioned based on commodities, i am interested in company specific export data.

TTM means trailing twelve months. So, it means last twelve months and thats not always four quarters of FY.

Companies normally don’t share transcript of meeting with specific institutions. However, these institutions normally share “management meeting updates” from time to time.

1 Like

It would be great if they do that. I believe this should be part of disclosures.

I’m not able to find them in AMCs I searched for. Any examples / links?

Axis_Securities_sees_13%_UPSIDE_in_RITES_Management_Meeting_Note.pdf (1003.6 KB)
This kind of reports will give you an update .

1 Like

I was reading UGRO’s Q2FY23 report. In the report they had mentioned

AUM – INR 4,375 Cr (+20% QoQ, +126% YoY)
Gross Loans Originated/ Disbursed
– INR 1,653 Cr (+22% QoQ)
– INR 3,011 Cr H1’23 (+168% H1’22)

My naive understanding of Originated vs Disbursed is :

• Originated : Loans which have been approved but loan hasn’t been credited into the borrower’s account.
  • Disbursed : Loan has been credited to borrower’s account

Now in UGRO’s case , these two numbers don’t add up to the AUM value. Can someone please explain the flaw here?

AUM is the total loan book which includes loans recently disbursed and loans disbursed earlier and the company continues to receive EMIs from them.

Understood this. But my question is why is AUM less than the sum of Gross Loans Originated and Gross Loans Disbursed?

As they receive EMIs , have they reduced down the AUM value since a part of the loan has been recovered?

Gross loans originated doesn’t enter AUM calculation until its disbursed. It indicates only the revenue visibility

1 Like

Can anyone explain or point me to a good materiak to understand what is ‘spread’ in textile industry and what is it significance to the business and business analysis?

thanks in advance.

Hi, I have a basic question.
Currently I have 1 account in upstox which I use for all my equity investments. Do you think its wise to split it into 2 accounts? Just in case, there is any issue with Upstox?

I want to learn banking sector from basics. Can anyone share reports, videos any kind of materials to start from scratch ?

Irrespective of who your broker is, the shares are held by NSDL or CDSL. Even if your broker goes bust (if that is your worry), you will not lose your demat balance. There is no risk. A rare situation could be if there are shares “in transit” i.e., where you have bought something, the broker has received delivery but has not yet credited it to your account and he goes bust. Here too, the settlements have moved to T+1 and regulations have tightened considerably in recent years, so I do not see any real risk. Settlements are guaranteed by the clearing agency.

But risk exists if one is playing in F & O and have large open positions. A problem with the broker or broker’s website may lead to the investor not able to execute trades when necessary, leading to significant losses. For such an investor, it is perhaps worthwhile to have a second option so that one can take opposite position through a different broker if required and protect the downside.

1 Like

you can read the Bad Money by vivek Kaul

2 Likes

Hi all,

I am trying to build an excel model and need to calculate the Free Cash Flow. I am trying do it in the Screener excel template. The issue is, how do i get the Capex numbers. Upon download, the Fixed Asset Purchase and Sold are not available in the downloaded excel.

Hi,

I was trying to come up with an estimated price of the share 3 years down the line. Please let me know if this should be used for guidance

E.g Supriya Lifescience they’ve given a target for revenue of 1000Cr. And OPM 30%

That makes it 300 cr Gross profit

At 129 cr gross profit EPS is 11.2 so at 300cr that make it 26 EPS

At current Stock PE price would be - 26 x 22 - 572
If it gets re-rated considering stock PE moves to industry average - 735

So stock guidance provided the company hits their revenue targets would be Rs 572 - 735.

I’m a novice here. Would love to hear wether this assumption should be used as a guidance? If there are any errors in my calculation/ assumptions? Or this is a wrong way to approach it.

1 Like

Try your luck like this – Free Cash Flow is Cash Flow from Operations minus Capex. Use difference between two successive (Gross Block + Capital WIP) as a proxy for capex, it will be quite close. You can get Gross Block by adding Depreciation to Net Block. All these variables are available in screener download – CFO, Net Block, Capital WIP, Depreciation.

Fixed Asset Sold is not relevant, ignore it.

1 Like

what is interdivision transfers in p&l?

Hi All,

I have recently started reading Annual reports, Concalls and any other info available for a company. However, just based on these I feel some businesses are doing good but I am not able to form a POV to invest in it. I have also started reading VP forums. Just wanted to ask from experienced people out there, is it okay to build positions (just minor positions for tracking purposes) in a stock after reading a few AR’s, concalls and VP forums? Because I feel, if I just continue reading out there, I will not be able to build positions and honestly, there is tons of information out there. Looking forward for replies from experienced folks on VP.