Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Inventory gains or losses directly impact gross margins of the company

Gains will lead to higher gross margins and lower cogs

Losses will be the exact opposite.

Studying gross margins of Prince pipes, and Ingrevia over last few quarters (8Qs) can help immensely

7 Likes

Thanks for the clarification.

I have similiar question on how write-off are reported in PnL and balance sheet

considering this for simplicity, person X has 1 crore loan from a Company, when he start defaulting, companies start providing some % of loan as provision. I can see, Companies are reporting the provision amount in PnL under Impairment on financial instruments , so in this case, company will show 1 crore [For simplicity I am assuming 100% provision provided at one go] as impairment in the PnL and similiarly same one crore as netted and balance is shown under Loans in Balance sheet.

But I am little confused what will happen when company chose to write-off 100% of the loan after 100% is provided as provision? What are the line items that will get changed in both statements?

And as far as I know, When provisions are released this is reported in negative under Impairments in PnL and write-backs are reported under other income. Is this understanding correct?

1 Like

I have few questions. In case we want to screen micro caps, we can either look through screeners and filter them through criteria. But it will be time taking exercise as we have to go through each company to filter it. Other option could be see where other known investor(like Gunavanth Vaid) have invested through bulk deal. But bulk deals will show only for a particular day. Any body has any suggestions on how we can see where a particular investor has invested. Or are there any other criteria of screening micro caps?

You can see if any MFs have invested in these small caps, this gives more confidence, in the sense that MFs possibly do more due diligence than individual investors before they take positions in small companies. Although we can only know if they have come out of their position after they sell, when that information is available in the public domain. Nevertheless, this can be a starting point.

How to forecast interest cost if the company is a debt free and claims to be debt free?

How to calculate TTM revenue & TTM net Profit?

(a) I remember screener.in used to have TTM field in either P&L screen or Balance sheet screen but not anymore. any info on it ?
(b) TTM as of 9 june would be the data from June 2022 -May2023 . Any ideas on how to calculate it on screener.in or any other platform ?

(a) TTM is just sum of last 4 quarters (12 months)
(b) The March year end figures are already TTM hence you do not see the field. You will see it for companies having June or Dec end accounting.

I get emails from Screener everyday with the content as

Kotak Mahindra Bank
Announcement under regulation 30 (LODR) Analyst/Investor Meet Intimation.

When i click on the link there is a pdf which gives the Name of the Analyst/Institutional Investor/Event and Type of the meeting - One on One or Zoom.

As a Retial investor can we get access to the transcripts of the meetings?

On CNBC i have seen export data of few companies month on month and year on year. the data was of specific companies. when i have google, i found the data available on government portal is commodity wise and not company specific. where can i find company specific export data YOY and MOM. can some one guide on this?

Kotak Mahindra Bank Q4FY23 transcript and presentation is there is screener which is already available for the retail investor.

Please note in general transcripts will be available if company publish.

Hope this helps

Quarterly Conference Call transcript are available on the website but these are not quarterly Conference calls these are with specific institutions.

why tax % in quarterly results varies so much? for example:

@Chandragupta, @harsh.beria93 - Any thoughts on how the price of HDFC Bank share will adjust to incorporate the value of HDFC after the merger?

My guess is market has already discounted the merger and HDFC Bank’s current price reflects the value of the merged entity. So, there will be no price impact when the actual merger takes place. HDFC share will stop trading and disappear into thin air, HDFC Bank will continue to trade as if nothing has happened (on that day).

4 Likes

Sometimes company can choose to pay tax later with interest. E.g. Getting orders in this quarter to increase revenues but paying postponing tax to later quarters.

1 Like

Isn’t TTM accounts for last 12 consecutive months which might not always be last 4 quarters.
TTM as of today would be the data from June 2022 -May2023 .

Companies do not declare monthly statements. You have to depend on quarterly release of information.

How one determines the target price of stock?
Typically in broking firms… price is fixed and P/E is balancing number.
So how is the actual approach?

2 Likes

I am having some queries regarding taxation of Capital gains for individuals vs LLP/firms.
Requesting VP members to kindly share their views.

1. How are income from LLP (limited liability partnerships) & firms taxed as far as capital gains (both short term and long term) are concerned. That is, whether the tax rate is 10% of profit, 25%, 30% or any other combination.
    Take, for example, a scenario where a LLP is managing some amount of sum. Now if the profit for the year is 1 cr for the LLP, how will this profit be taxed to the LLP. Further, after this taxation (if any), whether members appropriating the profit will have to pay additional tax or not on individual income.

2. Now, in case the tax rate of LLP or firms, as inquired in point 1 above, are higher than 10%, why do people form LLPs /firms. Isn’t it much better to invest personally and only pay 10% on the total profit. Is there any legal complication for the same.

Thank you