Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

Good day

Can some please guide how rights entitlement works. I have received some shares of Som Distilleries in my demat and wish to know what happens if i apply and if I don’t.

Thanks and regards

I am studying a company and wanted to run a few things with others and see what your thoughts are:

1. How do you rate managements that pay themselves or their relatives rent money? I understand renting for leases isnt a big deal. And paid to management itself is also fine as long as that helps the business.

But how about rents paid to farm houses owned by family members for hosting an AGM?

1. This is a tricky one in my opinion

How do you rate managements who own 75% of stocks and gives dividends every Q while business needs cash and business needs are catered through debts?

With the company in question I am observing 8-9cr of dividend payout and 12cr debt for Capex.

Would love to hear what others think of such managements

1 Like

Hi all, majority of my portfolio around 70% are in mutual funds. I want to know how do you select an equity mutual fund for long term investment? what parameters do you check ?

@ChiragD

What Prof. Bakshi explained in an interview applies here
*Evaluating management is an art. You should watch what they do and not what they say. And when you do that, you should have some empathy for the entrepreneur who is running the company. He is not a robot programmed to maximise shareholder value all of the time. He is prone to making mistakes. He will have some attributes that you dislike. Is that a reason to reject investing with him? I don’t think so. Time after time I have read about objections from investors who are obsessed with what Munger calls as Kantian Fairness Tendency. The world is not a fair place. There will almost always be some unfairness if you invest in a business run by an intelligent fanatic. You have to maintain a balance. I try to do that by keep Ben Franklin’s essay on Prudential Algebra in mind."

To answer your question about rents paid by the company on properties owned by family members, if the management is delivering an ROE that is above the average ROE generated by other businesses in that sector, then why bother? (applies in most cases)

6 Likes

You have not mentioned the name of the company. However, in general IMO

AGM is a once-a-year event, and one may hold it in one’s own farmhouse purely as a matter of convenience. Note that most of the small companies are just glorified sole proprietorships, and there are a thousand ways in which the promoter can siphon off money if he wants to. Here, at least he is making a transparent disclosure. So, unless you find the amount paid is exorbitant, this should not be a problem.

You should see how much is the debt taken, in the context of its equity base and cash generation. A reasonable amount of debt is quite fine (in fact, even good) and it is not necessary that a company should become debt free before paying dividends.

2 Likes

So the company in reference is Gravita.

And I agree that rents isn’t a big deal per se. But some things raised my concerns. For instance rent going up from 12 to 27 lakhs in a single year, their plant repair cost being 50% of the PAT.

Though I know this is a subjective topic and I also agree with what @barathmukhi said about management not being robots. Above all they are in the game to make money for their own good. But most aspects of the company and their capital allocation decisions since 2011 have been fantastic. So why would they risk everything for rent, repair fraud or remuneration.

Ofcourse with that said, I am still learning and this may be a wild swing for no reason. Appreciate your answers, will study more and try to make sense of the situation.

2 Likes

I don’t whether it is basic or stupid question :slightly_smiling_face:.
does company gets interest on reserve ? if yes where is it shown ? if not why not ?

No.

Because it is a liability.
Liabilities, which are either internal (shareholders money) or external (borrowed funds), are used to fund the business Assets.

• External liabilities such as bank loan cost explicitly in terms of ‘interest charge’ that shows up on the PnL. Internal liabilities such as RESERVES (shareholders money retained by the business) does not cost explicitly in terms of ‘interest charge’.

Company like us gets interest only on their financial assets and pays interest on external financial liabilities.

1 Like

When ESOPs are issued by a company. Are fresh shares created or the promoter shares are given away or any other means?

2 Likes

Can anyone please tell me how and where I can get the daily returns, monthly returns, yearly returns data of different indexes , stocks etc. for last 10-20 years.

For example , like in below format :

Google sheets has Google finance integration and you can use that API to get this data. Not sure you can fetch 10 years though

Fresh shares are issued, and total number of outstanding shares end up increasing.

Thereby, causing decrease in EPS. However, in some industries ESOP’s increase employee morale. Especially in those industries where man power retention is necessary. Think IT, PHARMA, or any other R&D associated ventures. In start ups as well a lot of esops are issued to retain talent and to reward them as the company grows.

4 Likes

There is write up in SRF thread and I came across this statement. Can anyone ellobrate? If you want to reinvest, it will be always after paying tax correct?

Once the vertical is demerged and a seperate company is formed, then even though it belongs to same group, still the re-investment for another sister company can happen only from Profit after Tax , that means after paying tax, while if the vertical remains inside the overall company, then even before paying taxes, it can be used for reinvestment. I think thats what it means.

3 Likes

I am wondering, any profit you make, you must pay tax before you re invest your profit. This is my understanding. is it wrong? is it only applicable for making investment in sister company?

Hi! Have you studied this company (Dr. Agarwal Eye Hospital) or do you have any red flags about it?

I tried to dig in through whatever I was able to find on the net since there is no seperate thread I believe for this company at Valuepickr.

1. The co. has changed it’s depreciation policy recently because of which the result for this quarter is much much better. (Apart from better sales and better PBT)
  2. Not sure why the co. first recommended the dividend of Rs.3 and then nullified it?
  3. Not sure why the promoters have pledged 99% of their shares when it does seem to have decent cash flow generating business and also has some decent ratings (Recent one was - CRISIL A Stable which was upgraded in mar’23)
  4. Co. does not do any concalls or any investor presentation but has a pretty strong backing of the parent co. in which Temasek likes of investors have invested
  5. Promoters have good experience of running the business and is quite a established name in few regions specifically and now trying to branch out PAN India and trying to gain the name/brand name
  6. Their website is quite good and chatbot does amazing work interms of booking an appointment and aligning other issues/queries

Disclosure - I am tracking this one since I am bullish on this business as a whole and believe this can generate a good cash flows considering high margin business overall and increasing no. of customers (I mean who doesn’t have a pair of spectacles these days :wink: )

1 Like

Basically,

If I have three business units, and one business unit isn’t growing. I can use the cash flows of that business unit to redeploy in the business unit which is growing faster

If I demerge that business unit. Then I will have to pay taxes, announce dividends and then as a promoter infuse money into the other business which is growing faster.

Like what ITC did by deploying Cig cash flows to grow FMCG business

Same case here

5 Likes

When the company says that they have incurred an inventory gain in this quarter. what it is that inventory gain and loss in that sense? Does -ve number denotes inventory gain or loss?
Thanks in advance.

Negative number that you normally see in P&L Account denotes increase in inventory, in absolute sense. It does not show inventory gain (or loss). When companies say they have incurred inventory gain (or loss), it is due to revaluation of existing inventories based on the accounting policy of the company, such as lower of cost or market price. You cannot get this from the P&L, you can derive it only if you have data for volume of inventory also, but that is not public information. You have to take the management’s word for it and if in doubt may be correlate it with external factors like commodity prices, competitor comments etc.

8 Likes

I just have one query, I have seen the pharma companies were doing really well a year before, let me know why most of the companies coming down, just see Aurobindo Pharma, or leading pharma giants, What’s the reason behind it? Can we expect some upward journey?

1 Like