Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

My thoughts based on whatver experience i have in markets would be
SELL if the business does not hold promise or you find another lucrative opportunity better than the one holding right now or if you know you can get entry again at lower prices

General bearishness in market can not and should not be the reason
Many such drawdowns happens over investing journey

2020 drawdown --those who sold, could not buy back as prices ran away faster and they have to buy again at higher prices
So when selling, one is making two decisions
one to sell at correct prices
second to buy again at correct prices
now getting it correct both times for same stock and then repeating it multiple times in journey is really challenging
Ofcourse some people claim to do that --but that percentage, I assume is very less and we dont know how much it it true
I would say traders do it more and investors do it less
So best part here is to identify ourselves --in which domain we lie

2 Likes

The answer to your first question. The promoters inside themselves may be transferring shares. For example father distributing his shares to wifes account or son’s account or vice versa. It may so happen that son may not be interested in business or he wants money, so dad who built the business would say to him- look you sell the shares to me instead of selling it to public in the market. So we keep holding the same chunk of the business. This one is most common. But you need to do some due dilligence too.

2 Likes

To answer your second question, theoretically yes, the price is supposed to move up as the EPS will eventually increase owing to the lesser number of shares in the market (since bought back shares are cancelled, bringing down total number of outstanding shares, hence higher EPS)
I read this online ( Share buybacks and why they’re important to shareholders (santander.com)):
Share buybacks enable companies to generate additional shareholder value. Under regular market conditions, the portion of profits that a company uses to buy back shares has a positive effect on the share price.
The point above highlighted in bold is important. The current market conditions and perception of the company have a role to play. For example, after announcing a buyback, if the company’s future prospect aren’t that great, then it’s of no use doing a buyback, in such conditions the share price could fall. Paytm from my understanding was a classic case of distributing cash which was not so freely available, and the markets didn’t like it.
How do traders approach it? that I don’t know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Why do we have inflation?
Can someone explain from the first principles?
Even if there is no problem, we have seen inflation increasing over years.

How can we be confident that if we keep investing in stock market, we will be beating the inflation other than data that supports it, atleast in India? Is there any fundamental thing am I missing?

2 Likes

Mostly our textbook example says that when a business earns a high ROCE/ROE and you get a stock with a low PE is a must buy to generate better wealth, but somehow there is a difference to be identified between a cyclical companies and a sustainable, consistent wealth generating companies, I have seen many of the individuals ( Including me) thought with such criteria I have dig out a multi-bagger stock but in reality haven’t minted money in any of those, I felt there is something surely wrong with my analysis, talking with few people and observing the markets I get to some conclusions which I am sharing with you via my twitter thread, please have a read at it to understand the minor but an important lesson.

There is one saying by Chanakya “Learn from the mistakes of others, you can’t live long enough to make them all yourselves”.

Hope you learn a basic lesson from this thread.

https://twitter.com/pujanshah_15/status/1611272279417311233?s=20&t=ZRMJN3h0A_R6ez4ftoGakA

3 Likes

You have to understand money first

Anything complex usually needs a simple model, let’s try to create a simple model

Say you have a country with 3 people, one is a farmer and 2 are fisherman

Fishermen need rice and spices, farmer needs fish

The fishermen fish every day except monsoon and the farmer harvests once a year

The total production is enough for everyone in perfect equilibrium but has no excess

The fishermen cannot fish during monsoon so the community doesn’t eat fish in monsoon. For simplicity let’s say monsoon is 6 months

Let’s say each fisherman catch 4 fish a day, they give 2 each to the farmer and the farmer gives them 4 cups of rice. Each fisherman eats 2 cups and store the remaining 2 for monsoon

Now here the medium of exchange is rice as its common currency and can be stored. Fish can’t be stored.

Let’s say now one fisherman finds a technique that can give him a catch of 8 fish a day.
So he goes and exchanges the remaining 6 for rice. The current exchange rate means before monsoon starts the new fisherman will end up having the farmers rice as well

They can remove rice has a currency but to understand the model keep rice as money.

So the farmer has to change the exchange rate. He will keep 2 cups of rice for monsoon and divide the remaining rice by new ratio. We have entered inflation.

Any one area causing a hugely disproportionate production or reduction can cause inflation.

If this years harvest of rice was less and the fish production had not increased we still have the same problem of inflation.

So inflation can happen if rice as currency or rice & fish as consumables increase or decrease disproportionately.

Money is also a commodity just like rice. If you increase money, in disproportionate percentage it will cause inflation. Gold caused inflation in Spain and Egypt. In Spain because of Inca gold and in Egypt because of mesa musa gold.

Current inflation started because of printing of money by fed and other governments however the straw that broke the camels back was shipping/container shortage

Now they are trying to fix it by reducing money in the system.

Inflation can happen in one area or the entire economy.

Real life is very complex as interest rate, government spending, taxes and expectations, agreements, etc affect inflation

Stocks should rise during inflation as it lifts the prices of everything. However stock markets are a bit forward looking and there is expectation built into them. They rise 3- 6 months before inflation rises and they keep rising for the duration of high inflation and then when the government tries to reduce inflation they fall 3-6 months before economic inflation falls. They are always a bit ahead of everyone.

7 Likes

This video explains the how prominent economic theories explain the cause of Inflation

• Keynesian economics - supply/demand imbalances cause inflation (in previous example, it is the rice/fish supply increase/decrease)
  • Monetarism - “Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon”: Milton Friedman (in previous example, rice is money and monetary reasons cause inflation)
  • New Keynesian economics - Just expecting “Forward Looking Inflation” causes behaviour change which then causes inflation as a self-fulfilling prophecy.

As mentioned in the video, the inflation readings of the past 15 years (no inflation despite a decade of printing money and sudden inflation in past 2 years) require the theories to be updated and possibly a new theory…

4 Likes

Have not seen the video so guilty of judging the book by the cover but just want to comment on your observation.
When GDP increases you need more money in circulation so printing money at that point is beneficial or you would have negative inflation (deflation)
If you look at stats on graph below, the imbalance probably started only last few quarters.
However I might be totally off the mark.
Frankly I dont think about it too much about it as I think accurate theoretical knowledge is not required for us to make money in stocks.
Just a basic understanding is enough

https://www.bea.gov/data/gdp/gross-domestic-product

1 Like

Whenever we hear banks/NBFCs interview or concalls, i hear a term called technical write-off. What does this mean and how this is different from regular write-off

A technical write off is when an NPA which is 100% provided for, is removed from the balance sheet of a bank (Loan gets knocked off from asset side and equal amount of provision gets knocked off from the liability side. Therefore there is no hit to the P&L and simply the balance sheet contracts by the amount of the loan). While the loan no longer shows up on the balance sheet, the bank still tries to recover the money and is often successful. Any recoveries from a written off loan are recorded in Other Income in subsequent periods.

To the best of my knowledge, an other than technical write off is when a written off loan is not 100% provided for. Therefore the net written off amount is taken as a P&L hit in the reporting period and the entry shows up under the heading “Provisions & write offs” in the P&L.

1 Like

I don’t think there is any partial write-off to a loan, unless they restructure a loan. For 100% writeoff, there will be impact in P&L. Managements sometimes say “Write-offs are technical in nature” and in regular cases they say “We written off so and so loan”. Why the term “Technical”.

A simple example of “technical write offs”.

Let’s say you lend Rs. 1,00,000 to a friend from your emergency funds for 6 months, but you are sceptical about receiving the money back, so you create a provision against it by breaking your FD of Rs. 1,00,000 ahead of time.

After 6 months, you were right and he is in no condition to pay you back (maybe ever). But you already set aside the capital to protect yourself and your family in case of an emergency.

You do a “technical write-off” of the bad loan, so your wife doesn’t find out and kick you out of the house.

Your philosophy is, “I still have funds in case of an emergency, why bother? I haven’t forgiven my friend’s loan and I will still try your best to get my Rs. 1,00,000. But for the time being, don’t talk about it.”

Hope this helps.

8 Likes

Can any one please tell me which companies will get benefits from increasing options trading volume… I know about brokers and wants to invest in Zerodha but its not listed. Apart from brokers which other companies will benefit from it? Will BSE get the benefits of rising options volume (I am doubtful since most of the options trading happens in Nifty and BankNifty) or CDSL or any other companies, please let me know.

MCX in commodities

Angel one

Nse in unlisted space

Risk remains- if sebi takes a regulatory actions to discourage like they increased the margin requirements for Futures in the past.

Disc: hold a tracking position in McX

3 Likes

A question on HUL’s current ratio calculation:

HUL’s current liabilities are more than its current assets (March 22)

About 21k Cr of liabilities and 15k Cr of operational assets

If we calculate current ratio, it should be 15/21 = less than 1 but on screener its 1.3

Also, HUL should have negative working capital? But screener says 4K Cr

1 Like

How to get news of stocks which added in our portfolio?

How to calculate any shares intrinsic values?

HUL has a solid distribution network and brand. They have the ability to purchase goods from suppliers without paying them for months, and they can take advance money from retailers to supply goods in a future date.

This translates to having a negative cash conversion cycle.

HUL has 1.35 times current ratio. In other words, Rs. 1.35 current assets to every Rs. 1 current lia. So, that’s why have working capital of 4,700 crores.

What counts for cash flow calculation is ‘change in working capital’. That number is (-) 2,862 crores.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Create a watchlist of stocks on screener.in

You can get news updates for only those stocks.