Investing Basics - Feel free to ask the most basic questions

As answers mentioned above LIC has major problems. I will try to list them as crisply as possible

1. For decades, government used LIC as a last resort to boost the market whenever government wants to sell its stake be it IDBI/UTI or whatever govt enterprise in problem. So LIC is kind of last fund provider of funds to government.

2. Please go through the comparison I wrote for Big 4 Life insurance companies and you can understand that LIC lags on all parameters. Size matters but growth and profitability are more important for market.

1. As @Mudit.Kushalvardhan said the supply of shares is going to come. Remember LIC is a very large company(as an aprrox. comparision it’s balance sheet is as large as India’s Budget) with respect to Indian market. Considering above SEBI has allowed it exemption from 25% free float. But on some day all those shares are going to get in to market.

2. LIC shareholders were expecting a premium listing but it proved a dud. Market has limited capacity in absorbing shares. So when expectations are negative and no one is willing to buy naturally share price comes down.

May be I will correct my answer on free float. Free float is a multiplier for negative expectations it multiplies negatively and vice versa.

Hope I have cleared the FF story
All the best.

2 Likes