Indian Banking Industry - PSU and Private

Hi

I had been looking for a generic Banking thread and found this one. Not sure if this is the right place to post. Moderators please feel free to modify.

I have been digging into RBI data for the liability deposits side for a few years now. And again I was refreshing the data and was surprised to observe a couple of things in the data which is now available with DBIE RBI (Database of Indian Economy).

Two first glance observations I had:

1. Post the current government’s election there is a drop in the number of branches being opened yearly across all population group cities (RBI classifies cities into Metro, Urban, Semi Urban and Rural). The drop is drastic for Rural branches. The rate has reduced by almost 100% since elections. Though from a pov of Metro and Urban it is justified that people are moving onto Mobile based banking (I outlined one chart on the RBL thread here). But from a Rural perspective I doubt this is happening in whatever little travels I have made to the interior parts of Orissa and West Bengal.

2. I am not able to find the exact number of accounts being opened across population groups. I tried to dig into all kinds of reports and have now shot a mail to RBI. Luckily I had the analysis which I had done in March 2014 which had the number of accounts opened. So I have back calculated basis average account balance (roughly 20k in rural, 35k in semi-urban, 75k urban and 175k in metro, this should have risen though now). If true why would the number of accounts opened quarter on quarter for last 10-12 years go missing. Have I missed this data :roll_eyes:

Regards
Deepak