How to register with SEBI as a Research Analyst?

The business readiness…probably yes. But the infra for research is something you should already have in place, isn’t it?

sir i got ur point… what about hardware… i am not aware of it… can u plz guide .?

Typically, you would at least need some kind of computing hardware for data assimilation, analysis, report generation and distribution. Think of how you will perform your RA activities. Each of those activities will need some kind of hardware/software. Even using services like screener.in (software) will need some hardware to access it.

Hi Rohit,

We did receive our RA license for Kamayakya Wealth Management Pvt. Ltd.

2 Likes

Thanks Ashish @Ferrari1976 for creating such a valuable thread. I had gone through the Investment Advisor regulations and assumed that all SEBI certifications would need work ex of 5 years until I saw your post.

I’m at the first step of the journey right now, i.e. choosing which PG course to go for. I can see that the Research Analyst regulations don’t specify any min duration for the PG course so the min 1 year course offered by IGNOU (PGDIFM in July 23) should be fine. But the Investment Advisor regulations do specify a min 2 yr course. Should one go in for a 2 yr course just in case SEBI tightens these regulations for Research Analysts in future as well? Or one can avoid this conundrum and just go in for a PGP from NISM, although that is much more expensive.

@richbandit What course did you opt for?

Any inputs on this are highly appreciated.

PG in Finance is a regulatory requirement and I believe also important for someone who wants to be an advisor. If you have time, I will recommend a 2 year MBA. I am not aware of PGP from NISM. MBA will also help you just in case you decide not to continue as a RA and pursue RIA or other career.

The IGNOU course is sufficient for RA requirements based on my experience.

Yes time is the deciding factor here. I have a serious time crunch at the moment so I’m thinking of going ahead with the PGDIFM from IGNOU. How was the workload for the course? Did you complete it in 2 semesters? I’m thinking of taking only 2 courses this semester and maybe finish the program in 3 semesters instead of 2.

NISM has a separate PGP course for each of the 3 streams, i.e. RIA, RA and PMS. It’s a 15 month weekend only course, with a fee of roughly 2.75L vs 20k for IGNOU. I think after 5 years of being an RA one should qualify under the experience requirement for an RIA or PMS, and at that point the PGP can come in handy.

Thanks again @Ferrari1976 !

I did the IGNOU course in 2 semesters and I did it very seriously. 2 Month full time are required for each semester considering assignments and actual study time.

1 Like

@Ferrari1976 thanks for this thread, its quite informative

if someone does not have 5 years prior experience, then PG is mandatory

is my understanding correct ?

Yes that is the correct understanding, refer section 7.(1).(iii) from the SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE BOARD OF INDIA (RESEARCH ANALYSTS) REGULATIONS, 2014

Hi. I am B.Tech graduate(Comp Science). I am AMFI registered Mutual Fund Distributor since last 9 years. I’m also managing my own stock folio for close to 14 years. I’m looking to become an RA.

under the regulations for RA on SEBI website point 7(iv) states:

[(iv)]a graduate in any discipline with an experience of at least five years in activities relating to financial products or markets or securities or fund or asset or portfolio management

DOES THIS NOT MAKE ME ELIGIBLE FOR RA? CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN!

Can a SEBI registered RA provide advisory services on US market and Crypto ??

Cryptos are unregulated so advice on that cannot be regulated by any regulatory body.

Per my understanding. RA regulations do not cover US Markets. So it is fair to assume that an RA is not explicitly forbid to publish research reports on companies listed in US markets.

I am not an expert, so will suggest you directly writing to SEBI with the query.

My query was from to understand if paid advisory services can be provided on US and Crypto market being SEBI registered RA.

My understanding is also similar as both Crypto and US market is not under Sebi scope, there shouldn’t be any issue.

If anyone can confirm, it would be very helpful.

Does Dual Masters degree applicable ? for example Finance + IT/Marketing

I believe it should, but you will know it for a fact only after reaching out to SEBI.

I had pointed out in my Application that I will be providing research on Indian and US listed equities.

During SEBI interview, I was asked to explain how I am qualified to do research on US stocks and how I am planning to charge for it.

Hope this was helpful, No idea about Crypto.

1 Like

I have BSC (math ), B.ed now final year of MSC(math ) , I have done my nism certification exam ,
Now I want to get a sebi registration for equity research analyst .
What course should I do ,
So that it will be both cost efficient , fulfil sebi criteria and have good future prospectus , I am 26 year old .
If u recommend MBA (distance or online ) then do suggest which university will be best for it .

And if any other course , do tell , thank you

You need a post-graduate degree in in finance, accountancy, business management, commerce, economics, capital market, financial services or markets per the SEBI RA regulations.

IGNOU courses (discussed in this thread) are the most efficient option (to fulfil the SEBI criteria)

Per the current regulations, it is not possible.