Hemant's basket

sold some more ajanta at 652 today. still hold 50% of the original quantity

What’s your take on Kajaria, Astral post results ? Is real estate slowdown taking a toll o. These cos?

astral is still doing okay. advertising expenses took their toll on this quarter’s results. secular growth story still remains intact. kajaria is just going through a couple of bad quarters. growth should be back in fy14. I personally added some cera,kajaria,astral and pagetoday after booking some ajanta.

What’s the reasoning behind Page buying ? Is it placed well technically n the price increase in Nov will help boos the profit? Prashant Jain of HDFC was saying that chances of PE coming down is high for consumption sector n all other sector PE shud improve with lowering of intt rates in his latest interview on Cnbc Awaaz.

vivek,

if you look at my previous posts, i intend to create a separate long term portfolio where i would like to hold stocks for very long term(7-10 years). currently the stock where i see that long visibility is only a few and page is one of them. currently the amount invested there is small but i would increase as I develop more understanding and conviction. i don’t really listen to these TV experts or mutual fund managers much. page was valued at PE of 15 even in the heat of 2008 crisis so this one is unlikely to be expensive. even if the PE comes down, earnings growth will make up for that over the long term. my mid/small cap portfolio is very aggressive and i need some anchors for that portfolio.

Hemant,

Just wondering if a Piramal Enterprises-could be looked on as a long term play, Now that everyone knows how the cash is being used.

The earnings are yet to be seen, but vision is there, all their buys & R&D will come to play in the next few years, in stages. It looks set for the future, in most ways.

hi hartoget,

i have read about piramal enterprises in the past and ajay piramal has been a good capital allocator till now. but the earnings uncertainty remains high and given so many good pharma stories around(ajanta,unichem etc)and other proven stories with long term potential, i decided to give it a pass. if things change in future, i would have a re-look

Dear Hemant,

Which stocks appear good bet for trading bet at CMP ? Your prediction abt Ajanta Pharma was a smashing hit.

How does Yes Bank n Indusind bank appear as short term picks ?

I feel financials shud outperform in reducing intt scenario for 2013. Any good NBFC in mind?

What’s your take on Karnataka Bank ? Suffering big loss in it .

hi vivek,

i usually find stocks for investment and then check their technicals to assess entry/exit points. technical analysis helps you make choices with higher probability of success but shouldn’t be confused with prediction. predicting in a stock market is a foolish exercise as market would humble you again and again. ajanta was a trade that worked out exactly as expected but targets were achieved much more quickly than anticipated. all good private banks should do well this year with a more favourable environment. this includes yes, indusind and hdfc. technically they are all in uptrends and should continue to make newer highs. but this is more of a 1 yr outlook. how did you manage to lose in karnataka bank. the stock had a fantastic run over the last 6-7 months where it more than doubled. did you buy it at the highs? the stock is currently correcting this huge rise after turning back exactly from 2010 highs. indications are all bullish and stock should attempt another go at the highs. strict stoploss should be kept at the previous significantlow of 133.

hemant,

does karnataka bank seem to have finished an a-b-c correction?

hi hitesh,

yes it does seem so. although we would only know in the hindsight if we finished the correction or this a-b-c was the first leg of an a-b-c-x-a-b-c zigzag. if it breaks low of 151-152, then we are headed lower to finish the next a-b-c. if we rally above 187, its quite likely we finished the correction and are headed to higher highs.

YES I recently entered in Karnataka bank at 185 in F & O n next day the scrip moved in F & O ban as it reached the upper limit.Then the downward spiral started n it touched 152.Today the ban was removed so it is touching 167. Due to big lot size there is huge volatality in the scrip. Tomorrow the futures expire .What to do ? switch into something more solid like Indusind Bank or rollover?

Coming to fundamentals the banks FY 14 BV is around 167 & EPS around 22 as per Edelweiss report.So onthis front valuations seems cheap but ROA is only 0.9% and ROE 9-10%.GNPA & NNPA around 3.3 & 2.2%.

Its a takeover candidate but thats not easy as shareholding is very spread out n its a Community owned (Kannadiga Brahmin) n managed bank.It has recently hired KPMG for consulting on how to achieve profitable growth.Retail focus is increasing but NPA seems to be a problem.

Pl advise on what to do with it

bought cera in my small/midcap portfolio and page and hdfc bank in my largecap/long termportfolio. stocks i am eyeing currently for my large cap/long termportfolio are gruh, titan, hdfc bank, page, sun pharma and lupin.

Hemant sir I guess you should start one thread in which you can share your picks based on technical patterns.

hi saurabh,

i do have a thread called technical updates in techno funda picks section.

I got into Cera at 423 & 415, so when it reached 390- i have used up the cash,

Well thats WHERE i i would love to have that TA edge

Thanks hemant,

What does the chart pattern for unichem says .Is it the right time to get into it?

Promoter is stacking up shares since last week.

sourabh - replied about unichem in my technical updates thread

added some more page in the larecap portfolio. added more of atul auto, amara raja to the smallcap portfolio. also bought back granules which i sold at 146. took a starter position in PI industries to track. It seems to be on the cusp of interesting times.

Hi Hemant,

Any views/negatives that you can point on Infinite computers and Hanung at cmp…?