HDFC Bank- we understand your world

The market share loss momentum of HDFC Bank has continued for 10 months in a row. The largest private bank’s market share decline in September 2021 vs August 2021 was clearly seen for ICICI Bank, SBI Cards, Axis, Kotak, among others. The biggest beneficiary of HDFC Bank’s loss has been ICICI Bank followed by SBI Cards.

Disclaimer: Invested. My largest and longest position. Optimistic in LT.

2 Likes

Precisely. Its on total spends not count but that is why it raises more questions. Let’s see how it pans out.

1 Like

Hi All,

I am trying to keep track of PCR ratio of HDFC bank. But unable to trace it beyond last 2 quarters. Can someone help of guide me… All I have is last 2 Quarters PCR of 71% and 68% respectively

1 Like

Hi - Can anyone share insights on the below? I wasn’t able to find anything in my research.

1. Company has acknowledged that its investing in technology post actions taken by RBI. However, there is not a substantial increase in fixed assets excluding land and leases. i.e; category B in annual report or in the unaudited last quarter financial statements. How much is the company planning to invest, time period, where is this investment reflected in fin. stmts?

2. There is a significant increase in contingent liabilities. Any insights on this?

1. Can anyone shed light on the nature of ‘miscellaneous income’ under ‘other income’ of INR 21,987,184

Thanks

2 Likes

It’s behind the paywall, can someone provide a summary.

I don’t have the access to the article, but this is what Mr. Hazari has to say about it-

1 Like

The article points out the following things:

1. While HDFC Bank’s Gross NPA is the lowest compared to peers (1.36% or ~16K crores), its “restructured loan book” is 1.5x of that figure (while it is much lower than the Gross NPA figure for the rest of the players). Taking that into account, the Gross NPA stands at 3.47% of total loan book (same as that of Kotak Bank, still good but referred to as a “bad practice”)

2. Blames HDFC Bank for purchasing HDFC’s loan book, thereby increasing the former’s retail loan book (for the past three years, HDFC Bank has purchased loans worth ~79K crores, which accounts for ~45% of the bank’s retail loan growth over the past 14 quarters)

3. Other things including (but not limited to) extorting processing fees from customers and questioning the practices of Junior bankers at the firm who try to hide defaults by offering top-up loans to default borrowers

10 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes
10 Likes

The results are out, Looks good. Need to hear management commentary

2 Likes

Retail loan increased, revenue increased, but due to higher provisioning in retail, profit decreased.

Retail Loan is pain point.

From Resolution plan it can be seen that personal loan of Rs. 14564 Cr. are restructured and provisions are made approx. 1665 Cr. This amount should be watched for potential NPA/ recovery.
Disclosure: Invested from lower level and no transaction in last 30 days

A good short read.

Disc:- Invested

5 Likes

Company has given explanation on Restructured book - 40% of the restructured book is secured loans, even in the remaining 60% two-thirds belongs to the Salaried individuals and hence less risky. They anticipate no more than 10-20 basis points (0.1-0.2%) impact on the GNPA due to this

4 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes