Guru Mantra 16- Competitive Advantage: Racing for Uniqueness (The Second Part)

Guru Mantra 8- Investment Philosophy (Know Yourself First)

The powers should be

I often come across a generic question from my nears and dears, I have such and such money……which stocks should I invest in. Or someone says like this “boss equity is not for me, gambler’s paradise”……I am better off with fixed deposit. Another one who boasts about one of colleague/relative who made a fortune out of real estate. I am also searching eternal answers for these questions since long time without success.
Honestly if we provoke our thoughts (we may never do) we must answer questions before even investing in anything.

So, what are these questions?

1. What exactly you want? Employee who is looking for extra finance cushion or serious investor who wants to spend substantial time and money.
  2. Are you aware of risks lying with market instruments, prudence suggests gather them……say for example in India 90-95% of retail investors do not survive a market cycle of even 5 years. :slight_smile:
  3. How much time you can spend after each asset class? knowing them, maintaining and updating them. Time meaning passion not hours, madness not intelligence, enthusiasm not Methodist, heartfelt not articulated.
  4. What infrastructure you have to support research? Or what you think can garner of resources. Always together we stand divided we fall.
    Investment is individual specific, please don’t try to replicate from others. Remember one would beg, borrow or steal than telling a sure shot multibagger. All one should do if interested in equity investment find out a method unique to them, can be sustained and tracked.
    It’s been almost 20 years of my investment practice I saw lots of failures at each cycle/stage. Eventually we hang on to our nerves for better tomorrow, remember these are not simple things. It requires time, effort and sometime a huge risk of losing everything.
    Here is what I been doing or changing all these years:

Personality Traits

Psychological attributes, strong feelings and too much intelligence is often recipe for disasters. Even before you think about market linked instruments strip your inner sense at least for the time when you put money to stocks.

What can be they? Well no definition, here are few pointers:

1. India is corrupt, nothing can change, politicians are pedophiles, policing is maniac and hence forth. Not bad to some extent but not to so that it affects your decision making. If you think you can attain nirvana somewhere please feel free, India is not the place for you neither we don’t need you.
  2. I am IITian, CA or MBA from IIM; great so be it. It does not work in market neither anywhere else, good to have such deep routed qualifications but only for stepping stone----nothing less nothing more. For centuries these so called intelligent fellows are employed by much less educated guys. Very few entrepreneurs are highly educated.
  3. I am a hero at office; continue to win accolades from all corners. Congratulations!, that does not work in market either. Market defines an employee as the one who is averse to risk, narrow minded idiot and good for nothing. Please shred the goodie skin and start fresh.
  4. My company processes are in jeopardy, we do not have a great ERP system, repetitive complaints etc. Don’t apply these logics and look only for those companies which have implemented say SAP that’s absolute madness. Well market does not know them neither they care all these without looking at a totality. You might be changing whole world sitting inside well , for outsiders shark stays in seas not well. Rubber Company with 5 rooms corporate head quarter commands 2500Cr market capital as their productivity is far superior to others.
  5. I am the best, excellent my friend….you just won the Nobel Prize. This attitude does not work anywhere so also market. The difference in couple of years same attitude can pack you off to mental asylum!

Many more you can keep deriving; my intent is not use to strong word and demoralizes one. Most of the folks who come with such arrogance have been properly stripped off and vanished to their 10-15% salary increment lifelong cliff syndrome!

Base Investment Philosophy

To me philosophy is study of mind, reasons connected to a value and inner beliefs. Of course Greek says love of wisdom. Before even you start picking stocks or equity you should set out a philosophy in do’s and don’ts.

My prohibition list:

1. Not to invest in companies engaged in direct education services (such as college, university) or imparting bedded hospital services.
  2. Not to invest in companies where promoters are found guilty of engaging child labor.
  3. Promoters guilty of women abuse, rape or similar criminal offence.
  4. Companies accused of funding religious biasness, propaganda or unconstitutional activities.
  5. Not to reinvest dividend received up to minimum of 50% and maximum of 75% of amount received. Earmark for a charitable cause such as upliftment of girl child.
    My Red flags: (reduce the weightage even before doing a financial evaluation)
  6. Corporate governance issues- SEBI, SEC.
  7. Employees not paid in time or not going up year to year despite increasing numbers.
  8. Company accused of money laundering specifically or anti national activities but not convicted.
  9. Promoters convicted of sexual harassment, diversity issues, and accused of insensitiveness towards physically disabled and so on.
    If you ask how do I know all these exist, well answer may not be simple. Till that time promoter or associates are convicted my philosophy does not change. Many can say Indian courts never convict anyone rich and famous, so be it……punishing the innocent is not preferred.

Market Objectivity

Market is made of people, processes and technology like any other profitable or non-profitable institutions with a huge difference i.e. entry and exit points are not sealed. It’s a combination of so much of emotions coupled with decision making with massively diversified intent makes one investor extreme nerve wrecking and we look incredibly stupid in front a towering financial tsunami.

Successful investors have been trying to study behavior of market over century now without any success. But what we could do is identify common stupidity, which proves costly with time, some of them are:

1. Boy, granites are boring industry….what these guys can do. Let’s focus on new industries fad technology etc. Market fundamentally immune to any type of industry…it only knows two things. Punish the non-performers and reward the performer. Easier said than done, selection of performer keeps varying with time, expectation……putting them to single cauldron becomes extremely difficult.
  2. Price so low, tempting! Always remember market recognize those who performs, so who had already performed catch the fire soon than those ones under the carpet for long time.
  3. India has a population of 125 Crores, even they sell one vada pav to 25% every day its staggering 25*365 Crores vada pav every year. That’s figment of your imagination, sale of vada pav may not have been calculated properly in GDP as most of these are un organized sectors.
  4. My CEO looks so glamorous and flashy, well that’s actually warning bell for investors. Market likes imperialism where CEO is down to earth. The moment your CEO goes to Bahamas for holiday investors get edgy…what is he doing with my money!
  5. Have you seen the real estate company posses, even if they sell 5% it’s three times more than book value. Firstly you don’t know why would the company sell , secondly why they should pay you?

Create your own environment

What one need perhaps is good people around….be it bosses at office, Samaritans in society, reasonable near and dears, friendly colleagues……The pill we need to pop is we may not get all of them, but bigger question are we fitting into some of these criteria before we demand? I guess if we are good we get good, life may not be measured always by measurement yardstick (either success or failure). Small sacrifices, little endeavors, integrity and simplicity can be achieved of course with bit of flaw. Trust me value is just outcome of these parameters, rest all is history as they say! Value for some is wealth, wisdom , and knowledge and for some its progression….also for few eternal battle of conscience against will. Who is bothered about evils, they been losing, decimated for centuries……some time with a good mask or sometime………?
Believe in plain and truthful speaking. Personally I had been flipping flopping in initial years in against my encounter with truth…. Tell the truth when there is no harm……turn as a diplomat when truth is “MANAGABLE”, “STAY AWAY” from truth when it is harmful. But the fact is TRUTH is ALWAYS REQUIRED AND CAN NOT BE MANAGED, I understood unfortunately in unceremonious circumstances ….but indeed more than self sure the value of truth is intrinsic , the same value we continue to search in equity investments on multiple occasions. Truth alone can create enormous wealth and success, it always triumphs….evil and falsehood are momentary and may create wealth or success for temporary phase and” NOT” at all enduring.

(From Thoughtful Investor by Basant Maheshwari)- QUOTE, MINOR AMENDMENTS

Most of Indians confuse stocks and shares to be synonyms of shocks and stares: Chandrakant Sampat

Most of Indians consider investment is an extension of gambling, those traditional minded Indians assume stock market exist only as a “get rich quick” scheme . In reality the game of uncertain outcomes is the road to bankruptcy.
“ The traditional Indian household has thus land, gold and fixed deposits may be because it requires lesser skills to do so than buying a stock. Personally I have all my money equities and have not bought any gold and real estate (except one for staying) because I feel more comfortable making investments with open ended dream of monumental gain and that can only happen only by either you are entrepreneur or investor!
As a consequence to this traditional mindset the percentage of Indians who think wealth can be created through stocks via fundamental analysis remains abysmally poor. Corporate profits, free cash flows, dividends and growth rates mean nothing to the traditional Indian household who mostly considers numbers are manipulated and meaningless. This strange belief in orthodox thinking process is that there are only two things that can make money in market , one access to Mumbai based operators who can give a tip before the event happens or secondly you need to be lucky ….only a stroke of chance.
When I say traditional Indians, don’t get me wrong ; sometime we carried away as these are people who do not read and write. Actually they don’t bother about flats or equity, what I meant by traditional Indian is “padha likha (educated) middle class Indian”.

(From Thoughtful Investor by Basant Maheshwari)-UNQUOTE

Guruji’s employee days

After post graduated from one of so called knowledge house (IIM !) I was pushed to a place where I want to be i.e. heart of investment….Wall Street with then famous Lehman Brothers. After five years of working with one investment bank and management consulting firm I could gather what I learnt and not to repeat them in future.

I don’t have much roadmap to share as I came out after five years of employment. I wanted to forge my instincts with unknown faith for a meaningful relationship. At the same time I must pay tribute those few thousand employee who relentlessly work for company’s objective , worldly growth and so on. Employment is not meant for only money, it’s a way for expression of freedom and knowledge, building better ties with society and families at same time a Good Samaritan!

Compounding

When I quit my job with a terrible calculation of funds, eventually I landed in India with few thousands. A house to take on rent, an wife and daughter to survive with……I wasn’t sure fully whether that it was brightest idea to quit the job.

When you are in confusion go to the person who is best if possible……well during mid 1980’s we never had a confusion who is the best. I took a taxi to Hindu Gymkhana club in evening….to my luck I found my mentor in full speech gathering address of fifty around. Of course the person was Chandrakant Sampat…….the magician of the investment street!

Chandrakant Bhai was more than helpful when he agreed to walk with me till Kala Ghoda from Gymkhana club . Knowing his running skills I thought I have at least 15 minutes, if I can slow him down it may went up to 20 minutes. To my luck Chandrakant Bhai spent 30 minutes on walk, 30 minutes of pure knowledge changed my thoughts ever and forever! He asked how much money you have, I said gross 42000 INR, and leaving expenses for few months it will be 20k max.

First line he said if you invest 100 Rupee when British invaded India in 1757 AD , at 3% annual compounding it would have grown to 3.11 lacs, at 4% 25.80 lacs , 5% to 3.08 crores and 9% would be 121795 Cr and at 15% it is (some value investor gone high beyond that) it is eye popping 88582 Cr of Cr! Unless investor can bet enough he does not get rewarded for being right as normally ought to be. There won’t be many right moments so whenever right you should try to make maximum out of it. Personally more than 90% of my wealth has been generated from less than ten stock ideas only. Making meaningless and insignificant investments do not have power to change the balance sheet of wealth creation. The CAGR is the only distinguishing feature of an asset class and varies from one asset to another.

Sampat continued “there isn’t just one winner in the investment game”. Unlike rabbit and tortoise where one will win, in stock market there can be multiple winners and losers. It gives all participants a chance to win and loose.
Compounding works well when we keep the negative years minimal so that we don’t give away the returns we made in good years. In market speed overrules size, most people look for the quickest money making stock and not the ones which will give them biggest gain. The best investment is the one, which generates higher return on an initial large amount over longer period of times.

In equity you make money in bunches in few years and loose in rest all years. Investors who run away from bear are generally aren’t around to receive the gains when bull comes back.

After 30 minutes Chandrakant bhai hopped into a BEST local bus to his home much like I heard before. I couldn’t board BEST bus for years also now……perhaps that differentiates all of us with Chandrakant Bhai. Last line he mused before he disappeared was “to be investor all one has to do is dream”- one of his favorite lines.

Chandrakant Sampat till today to me as the man who made me a “may be” good human being if I am not an investor. His investing prowess was legendary, commendable virtues. To him money was merely a unit of account, it never changed his demeanor in any manner. He continued to live his life of simplicity till death. The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are heavy to be broken. He was a regular in marine drive in joggling attire and inter mingling of teachings of Bhagvad Gita. (Parag Parikh tribute)

Guruji like other market fans can go on hours about Sampat. He goes on, Chandrakant Sampat may have been no more but his intellectual integrity have not died. We all disciples promised him, we will keep it alive for centuries to come. He sums up, “Chandrakant Bhai is not like riches of today, and his philosophy was how many things you can do without”. May his soul in rest peace.

Sanity Check

We all spend life time in earning money with all our effort. We move different company, places, and domain so that we can retain some of these savings for our future. It is also essential we spend some time managing our savings, most of the time laziness result someone is taking us for a ride. On 10 year time band 1% change in compound annual rate will result 6% addition to final corpus. 2% incremental change for 30 years career plan will result to a staggering 42%! Imagine successful investor earns a tax free return of 15% against debt income of 6-7%, compound for you over 30-40 years. Perhaps you will get a shock of your life!

I found it extremely “remiss” for a well-studied and healthy person in mid and late twenties who keeps on burning midnight oil for years to shape their career do not even spend 1% of time what insurance they buy, what fixed deposit they need and so on! In fact George Soros said less than five percent of people spend more time while buying a refrigerator or television than buying a financial product. Friends of mine after working for than 12-15 years of corporate share a story, which is almost, generalized, “I do not have “other than” a house which is on EMI, a car/vehicle again covered under EMI”. And the line always ended with “though I could have done much more”. Honestly I am not anyway better off, somehow I never felt like losing the financial track. During 2002-03 I kept saying my friends we can buy a house on own money with a proper financial plan rather than inviting the debt monster. No one was ready to wait, it was unending pursuit towards getting a banker, a property and finally who can forget tax benefits! During the same period my portfolio was not going anywhere, classic case of market sideways. By end of 2004 I started developing a doubt whether the burning equity passion can really help me achieving the basic of “Makan-House”. And again on top of alary you have tiny spots of growth i.e. tax benefits. The battle ended with the rampant bull run of 2004-07, by 2006 end I was sitting pretty with enough “disposable” cash flows to buy a 2BHK flat somewhere in Bangalore or Pune with pure “cash”. I am not trying to advise anyone to adopt the approach but I guess we must know what is good for us, what we can digest and not and finally we must enjoy our life in the way, which we want!

Thanks for being flipping through, all your reading immensely give me strength to move forward and keep the flag of value investing high!

Next let’s talk in length about Personal Financial Planning.

34 Likes

Know yourself First - Brilliantly expounded suvendurath .

waiting for next one

@suvendurath,
this is called tsunami of knowledge…thanks a lot suvi for sharing all this…

Dear suvendurath,
This is absolutely pure Gold! Really loved the recent chapter of Investment philosophy, thoughts of your Guruji on wizard Mr Chandrakant Sampat, your own journey between time period of 2004 to 2007 where you tasted the success. I agree with the thoughts and situation of many white-collar salaried-class people who are very smart, individuals however largely not applying themselves to equity markets and missing the opportunity to create wealth for themselves, their near-dear ones and ultimately for the society. Again, one needs to have a passion and belief to take this path.
Really looking forward to hear from you on the topic of Personal Finance now!

Great and Selfless Work !!

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Kapil

Guru Mantra 9- Personal Financial Planning

Have we ever thought if we try to sell :

• life insurance policy to Warren Buffett
  • credit card to Mukesh Bhai (Ambani)
  • medical insurance to Devi Shetty of Narayana
  • mutual fund units to Rakesh Jhunjhunwala

The good part is we can argue still there is a chance these folks can buy all the products listed here.

Point is why would Warren Buffett need a life insurance when he doesn’t need 99% of wealth he has created, or Mukesh Bhai swiping credit card for purchasing a Boeing private jet or Mr Shetty who has hundred plus sprawling hospitals when he fall sick, and Rakesh Jhunjhunwala who has regrets buying flats than shares.

It tells us two stories, One our objectives are customised, Second objective changes as time and situation progresses.

Now let us apply these situations in our day to day life with a hypothetical situation:

1. I started at 23 years with a salary of 30K (all take home) and have a life insurance policy of 10 Lac.
  2. I am now 30 years and my take home is 75K, increased my insurance policy to 50 Lacs.
  3. I have become 40 years, my take home is 2 Lacs now. My insurance policy is 2 Cr.
  4. I am 60 and retired, I am sitting with a insurance policy of 10 Cr expired at age of 65-70.
  • Insurance is term insurance only.

Why don’t we apply a tedhi soch first.

It looks our objective in life is to get insured only, if we die our dependents will get some money. I just found out my kids are turned out to be genius and well off. So the importance of money has gone down than I thought.

1. I lived till 85 and my wife till 90. Who needs money, grand children?
  2. I got hypertension and diabetes at age of 40, land up spending more than 50 lacs till death, yet no one came to pay that money.
  3. If i invest that 30K premium every year, after 30 years at the age of 53 I will get @8% compounding 40.50 lacs. If I give it to super heroes of mutual fund they can compound 14% and takes me to 1.56 Cr. If we sugar this 30K with 60K it becomes 81.07 Lacs and 3.14 Cr by age of 53.
  4. Let’s think you die at 85, after 53 years insurance company doesn’t ask you money for next 32 years (unlikely) and you are sitting with 10 Cr insurance policy. Your 1.56 Cr (compounded at 8%) goes to 18.31 Crs and at 14% results to 103.30 Crs. Isn’t that a eye popping amount?

I told the same story when I stopped one horrible money back policy last year (I was drunk perhaps when I took such policy). As expected immediately he responded sir insurance is for security, safety. What if you die tomorrow?

I said good, so you agree this is not an investment product. Then why money back in first place? So we call its safety product, security product, let us check out what safety or security it gives?

My death depends on act of god which I can not control anyway or a bad life style which I called my self. So first thing is I need to change my life style. Can we say entire portion of security and safety is mitigated? He kept silent for sometime, but if you die now your wife will walk away with XXX amount. I said very valid point, thats what insurance policies are meant for.
Now twist the scene, say Mr ABC is a value investor who is sitting 10 Cr, considering 1 lac expenses a month 1000 month stack is there. We are ignoring compounding, any further increase etc. Now add one more scenario, out of 10 Cr, goal driven discounted value are 5 Cr, hence I am left out with 500 months. What I need to do is increase my wealth at a speed higher than increase in spend.

Is still insurance is bad? I didn’t say either, its both yes or no. If some one says walk five kilometres a day to kill diabetes I would do that rather taking a medical insurance which anyway will not kill the problem.

But some clear bold lines, what are they:

1. The value of money is not same what it will be after 30 years. Hence someone say 1 Cr now, it would be few thousands equivalent value after 30 years.
  2. Risk doesn’t go away by performing one act. Risk transfer is least mitigation like insurance.
  3. We are taking steps for the risks we know of, but what about the ones we don’t know?

Understanding risk management

Identification of risks:

Risk depends what is my objective is? If I want to wanna be Ramesh Damani then permanent loss of capital is my risk like any other investor. Now if you want to be a cricketer, make sure your legs, limbs are ok. We will touch upon objectives soon.

Quantifying Risks:

Every risk needs to quantified and this is the toughest part. Fortunately financial plan deals with financial goals and hence it can be measured. But imagine if you want to be Mr Damani its not all about financials. Infant finance plays a minuscule role for an investor or entrepreneur. We will cover this when we discuss more about value investing later. For now yes our financial goals can be measured.

Mitigating Risks:

There are four ways to mitigate a risk:

Treating the risk, taking appropriate step to reduce the risk like running 5Km every day to reduce diabetes problem.

Tolerating the risk, I cant do anything but accept. Say there will be an accident tomorrow and I will die.

Transfer the risk to someone who can manage for you.

Terminate the risk, stop doing the activity like I don’t need a Mercedes Benz hence I don’t need fund for that.

Mute points on risk further

There are two components of risk called as inherent and residual. It is a general convention risk CAN NOT be mitigated fully. What does this mean?

Risk Definition: Untimely death which has emotional impact, financial impact, regulatory impact may be (all these are called inherent). By taking a insurance policy or even lot of money wont solve your emotional or other problems. Those problems which can not be solved or easily as called residual risk like emotional etc.

How do we identify risks for objective we will talk through next time along with objectives

Those who conquer residual risks are mostly through brain and heart than money.

For everything right or wrong is given a context, isn’t it? The big question is how do we know what is right or wrong?

India post 1991

Who can forget 1991, country bow down to “hats off” to a person who ironically cannot wear hats. Our dear ex- Prime Minister then Finance Minister among amidst cheers, applaud, huge tapping on table passed the most historical budget setting the highest paradoxical body (Parliament) into frenzy for few days. A beaming finance minister then thundered from dias “time has come to drink coke, to wear Burlington, to spray Avon and munch pizza. Behold; dhotiwalas should watch their malpractices, you have looted enough, time to go Ganges and wash your sin.” The common Indian rise from rugs and “straight stared dreaming” in Avenues, Salwar clad wife swiftly get into Midis. Enough of pakodas and dosas, we are going global, with a size a billion plus we are going to embark imperial socialism” Older generation got amused, some embarrassed, some got flattened. India has rolled its dice; dark side of moon is no more revolving, static from oblivion and straight falling to feldspar of carpets like golden dew drop.

One generation of reforms gave away to second generation, glory brought gloom with it……inflation, and consumer behavioral pattern has changed forever since then. Growth, uncertainty, opportunity, threat crashed our homely door almost like unbroken symphony. Time we must acclimatize with them before they started gulping us. Cutting story short one must know what he does, what he wants to do financially and that’s precisely a financial plan in a rapidly changing society.

Financial plan is a buzz word for a planner, banker, and asset management company who provokes you, tease you, scratch you till the time your loose purse strings. Few years back I spoke to financial planner while I was trying to count leaves in oracle of finance. He sent me a brochure where first paragraph was like this “Uncertain economic times intensify the importance of wise personal financial decisions. Each year, more than a million people declare bankruptcy, and Americans lose more than a billion dollars in fraudulent investments. Both of these common difficulties result from poor personal financial planning and incomplete information. Your ability to make wise money decisions is a basis for your current and long-term well-being.” Without even reading further I paused and asked myself “Am I American?” Why are we obsessed with something which we haven’t seen neither work for us. Though my stupidity continues, wisdom tells us count your purse before putting into drawer at night before sleep.

A personal financial plan simply speaking consists of following:

1. Know your current financial position: includes income and expenses, net worth (assets minus liabilities), cash assurance.
  2. Know your goals and achieve them: what are your key objectives and how do you achieve them including when and how(of course financial objectives)

For today let us focus on how do we track income and expenditure, net worth and its classification.

Please see attached file for “1”.

Kindly note, items may or not resemble my expenses pattern. Customise to the extent you can track and do it.

1. Tab Budget: Budget of income and expenses you expect for the next year. Side by side track actual to know where you exceeds budget.
  2. Tab Live cash flow: to understand your position at each cycle. Our income is monthly hence cycle is monthly. It shows whether you have enough cash to ensure meet expenses and meet the commitments before next income comes in to your bank.
  3. Tab CC Tracking: how much you are spending on different credit cards. Also know the percentage of expenses you are routing through credit cards.
  4. Tab Debt Investment: list of all debt instruments including fixed deposit, recurring deposit, bonds etc.
  5. Tab Net worth: includes liquid balances, EMI, debt and equity instruments, fixed asset.
  6. Tab IE summary: track of income and expenses month wise for the year
  7. Tab Yearly track: track of income and expenses over years
  8. Monthly tab files: records monthly income and expenditures

Take your own assumption for a meaningful data, e.g. fuel I split between office and local conveyance. Not accurate but some sort of estimation.

Few important points while using the data:

1. Fixed asset and equity shares (buy and sell) are tracked on opportunity basis, lets discuss sometime else.
  2. Add your own income and expenses category.
  3. Direct income- for the purpose the stable income comes in every month e.g. salary or rent etc.
  4. Finance charges: the charges paid as bank interest and charges are shown. You can add interest portion of EMI if you have. The principal cost gets knocked against liability, not added to bank charges. For cash flow you need to include the entire amount principal and EMI.
  5. Imprest money- the cash you don’t want to know the details. One you give it to spouse and don’t track. Second count your purse in morning and before sleeping, if you don’t know any balance where it is spending put it in “imprest” category. Unexplained spend should be restricted to changes and coins only.
  6. Don’t track coins and chillars for gods shake. Record in round figure of 10’s only.
  7. Never forget deduction from salary such as provident fund, it’s an investment for you!
  8. Split the income tax under finance charges to TDS on salary, TDS on interest if you have fixed deposit etc where tax is deducted at source.

Key indicators you must not miss:

1. The operating expenses should be less than direct income meaning day to day expenses are supported by stable income or GOD SAVE YOU. You must immediately plan for super natural profit to increase the coffer or at worst case bank dacoity!
  2. The higher the indirect income percentage of total income more you become cash surplus and debt free. This can only achieved through discipline, systematic investment, continuous tracking of them. Trust , many employee files regardless of nature of job income tax return higher than their Vice presidents even. FP Demo.xls (302 KB)
  3. The power of compounding remain a miracle, it means younger you start more time to spin the money for re-investment and hence growth.
  4. Track expenses on a regular basis and control them, make sure entertainment and travel expenses are supported by “other income”.
  5. Read the percentages very carefully- between direct income and indirect income, between expenses month to month basis including capital expenses. Fixed expenses should not vary except escalation meaning if rent is going up by 10% you anticipate only 10% rise next year. But fixed expenses this year 100 become 140 next year needs to be investigated.

Don’t want to complicate further……lets talk about asset class, goal setting, financial objectives and allocation next time.

You will amaze to know a proper financial plan helps in:

1. Monitor cash flows and reduce waste expenditures
  2. Holding sufficient cash and cash equivalents when needed
  3. Boosts savings and wealth creation
  4. Reduce tax liability
  5. Reviews insurance needs

Last not but most important it brings “discipline and method” which make your life consistent.

Next episode lets discuss about goals, measuring them and achieving them including tracking mechanism.

Please drop me question, will try to answer to best of my abilities.

12 Likes

suvi if you can share your thoughts on risk specifically one has to take risk to reach a stage where he need not take risk.So someone with a small pf can not think of risk as much as he must think of return.but if his risk turns bad he has to take a bigger risk to break even ! Second que what is your suggestion of PF size where one must play safe with safer stocks

thanks for sharing…this is super detailed and shows the incredible thoughts put in it!

Guru Mantra 10- Bring back the horizon (Goals and Asset Planning)

Setting the Horizon

16 September 2015, sleepy town of Puri, an eastern part of India; more known for Sri Jagannath temple; one of holiest shrines for Hindus. Unusual rain washed the city in evening, it was half past in night. My retired father shook his head and got up from chair with a loud murmur, “ I always thought mathematics is to learn not practice”. That was biggest compliment from my father, if I have to draw up five best moments of my life it was definitely one of them.

So what made him to say those words, here it is:

Chartered Accountancy was a paradox for my father who always believes the world is dominated by science, mathematics and all other similar forms. More so if it is taught at renowned schools and universities. He always felt I was pursuing something because I was not capable of reading science and mathematics. I don’t dispute even his words of wisdom now, without an iota of doubt I was not capable of cracking state level engineering colleges forget the mighty IIT.

We continue to debate science against accountancy for long years as he believes value investing is about finance and accounting. I wish he could have met Benjamin Graham or red The Intelligent Investor. Last year on my daughter’s birthday I pulled out a calculation and showed to him, he just said owo, looks interesting; but hang on this is not finance and accounting I know, definitely not. I said of course it’s not finance and accounting, when did I said so? Father said well for so many years I thought you are practicing accounting and finance. I said for so many years I kept telling I am just trying to get values, if you understand value as finance and accounts then what can I do. Fine what’s the calculation that put my father to awestruck position!

Here it is: values calculated on 20 Sep 2015

The above table shows the gift me and father gave to my daughter since 2008 on her birthday.

I am not trying to underpin my father’s abilities, he was revered and always stay that way like every father/parents. What this picture tells if you remove sentiments,

1. Compounding has been phenomenal on my assets across the year. That’s the power of equity, it can outsmart even celebrated mathematician like my dad.
  2. My father was confused between asset and spend, he bought one bi-cycle thinking its an asset. In realty most of financial statements are full of such perceptions accounting.
  3. Equity is only asset class with underlying business, none other asset class demonstrate diversity. Look at my purchase- one private bank, 3 top notch pharma company of country, one MNC auto ancillary manufacturer, one real estate and another engineering firm. I told see father my business interest is so wide spread (of course not!).
  4. Stock is only thing appreciate, no other asset class always appreciate. You may argue market is in bear and side ways. That is true, but unless you are aligned with market completely you can still can out perform it by your own stocks subject to they have chosen carefully and researched.

Back to Malabar hills Mumbai, another rainy evening of October 2011, Guruji got up from a chair and said can you see this article. ISKCON claims they are feeding a child with 6500 Rupees a year, and we are buying one square feet of apartment at 65000 Rupees. Are you trying to say we barter 10 year of food for a human what kind of world we are leaving. That would mean a poor child can eat for 10 years by bartering ONE square feet of Malabar hills! Again I got outsmarted at his skills, a man who made build a castle from walking in blazing sun, created a envious wealth by sheer skills and intelligence……telling all that I build is actually falsehood, fragile. Indeed, this country need more barter whether Malabar hills in Mumbai or Golf links in New Delhi!. Rest all are momentary obscurity of money, finance and hyperbole………! I realised when my mobile alarm started screaming that another day has arrived. The alarm continue to roar, morning sun streamed in and I turned to look outside only to realise residual dream still slipping away……!!

Paradigm shift of changing priorities

For millions of years mankind has lived just like the animals, then something happened…….which unleashed the power of our imaginations , we learned to talk (Stephen Hawking). From talk to think and foresee human life cycle has seen it all. Verbal expression becomes clarity which turned to vision and changed the perceptions to thoughts and principles. Every living species is defined by certain objectives, for a human be it unborn baby or dying person needs a reason to survive or perish.
Whether science or arts they all teach us we must have objectives and must be supported by charadrius vociferous language to remind and track them. That brings us to second step of personal financial planning, “Know your goals and achieve them: what are your key objectives and how do you achieve them including when and how(of course financial objectives).”

The activities broadly cover the following:

1. What are your key objectives
  2. Measurement of objectives or THE GOALS
  3. Define an action plan to achieve the goal
  4. Track and monitor the status of goals

KEY OBJECTIVES

There is no straight jacket definition to objective of a human being, wiser sense tells us to start as early as possible but seldom wiser sense itself comes after god’s given moratorium period when we do understand the realities and resolutions. Objective can be different for each individual, can vary with genders, emotions also inheritance.
Let’s take one example and walk it through till the end. 22 year old Aftab (imaginary) is in last year (2015) of engineering with famous Indian Institute of Technology who happens to join a multinational company at end of degree. What he could or should think:
“ Lead a generalised life and retire family surrounding with well cushioned finances”.
Objective is like vision and mission statement, if you have too many objectives perhaps you are confused. If you feel there may be many more you need to consolidate them, at the end of trackless seas it’s only a port sailor wants, rest is commentary. Objective can drastically differ from person to person, take the same example of Aftab: “ Enlighten inner self, lift the poor children from poverty, and make a difference to society”. Here individualistic pretend is over ridden by philanthropy, it may not come naturally to everyone. Accordingly the goals will be completely different than previous one. As we all are materialistic creatures stick to the first one, let me repeat the line one more time; “ Lead a generalised life and retire family surrounding with well cushioned finances”.

THE GOALS

Goal is embedded within objectives, you need not hire influential management consultants to define goals for you. Let’s split Aftab’s objective:

Generalised life: comfortable life and up keep of the “comfort”. Reading between it will mean the basics i) Decent food ii) A reasonable place to stay iii) Loving spouse and associated redemption of “promises” iv) good education for child/ren v) Fine entertainment and leisure vi) access to amenities including electronics, automobile etc supporting sustainable generalised life. Vii) wellbeing of health-medical support
Retire with a family surrounding: i) corpus to ensure retirement life is trouble free ii) accommodation which can be maintained ii) Extracurricular activities such as travel or other hobbies.

Well cushioned finances: though it sounds like part of “1” and “2” it actually refers to something extra which you always aspired long ago like Mr. Samapth or Mr. Jhunjhunwala. Cushioning can occur at any time , not necessarily post retirement.

If we see 1 to 3, all of them may not need equal importance. Some of them desirable and some are essential. Let’s burn these down further:

Decent food: no question of debate, must to have food at least. You need not create a goal for same, should be covered under annual budget where you keep track of yearly expenses as discussed last time.

Spouse and redemption of promise: well promises to bring star through gig to earth may not work in real life. Define explicitly extra territorial expenses through annual budget only unless asset being created through promise.

Cushioned finances: human wants are unlimited, you keep dreaming everyday only to realise there is a residual dream still slipping away. My suggestion to classify as desirable and wish list.

Every component you ponder over you would come to know what’s must have and what’s good to have.

Goal Setting: one man or woman doesn’t run a family even if both or one earns. You must to do housekeeping before finalising goals. Those may be:

Include your spouse and children, parents who can participate and contribute. Detailed discussions required before coming to amicable conclusion, sounds easier than what it is. When I was newly married after few convincing sessions I asked my girl friend turned wife, “we must set our goals mate”. She asked me spontaneously what you mean by goal, I said it’s something you or me want. Oh, (she exclaimed) that way….well I need a piece of jewellery and few goodies. I thought myself maddeningly unhelpful, further I probed well goal I meant not shiny or glossy; something tangible we need . After a pause she said well then we can go to my parent’s house four times a year. Well that’s even more than unhelpful, I pursued further ok what if you have to stay in my house after some years permanently. That stabbed her heart for sure, no way have we needed our own house soon! Keep thinking………….

Goal does not mean kid will become engineer or doctor. You need education cost to cover up and support, ambitions and goals move into different tangent. Goals ask you to prepare yourself , not dictate other’s choice and wisdom.

Always cut out “early bird” period for all goals, meaning if you feel it’s required in 2020, prepare yourself for 2018 or even 2017.

Money doesn’t grow in trees, do not expect you will beat everyone and continue with 50% hike every year to amass wealth. Be realistic and conservative, plus is always easy to manage its negative which creates flutters in heart.

Your materialistic want should not over ride heart and mind, open for charity and philanthropy. Remember in a country like ours many goes to sleep without food, it’s our fundamental responsibility to do whatever is possible.

Identify goals only what you know or can do: I want to be Mukesh Ambani, good goal to have mate. Only problem Mr. Ambani may not like other people to have the goal.
So what would be Aftab’s goals:

G1. Own a vehicle worth by end of 2018
G2. Get married in 2019
G3. Plan for child in 2021
G4. Own a house by 2024
G5. Child preliminary education by 2025
G6. Child education by 2037
G7. Child marriage by 2046
G8. Wish to retire by 2048 and corpus by 2045 (age of 56)
G9. Refresh key retirement decisions- house, medical and extracurricular activities by 2047

You can add/modify goals according to suitability, age and inheritance.

Know your risks

You cannot get to goal post unless you break opponents defence. That brings us to a subject we must know risks which can majorly distort the goals you have set.
Untimely demise: life and death is not in our hands, make sure you have sufficient insurance. What is adequate insurance let’s talk some time else.
Medical coverage: have sufficient medical coverage for family.
Employment or source of income: you must not ignore what and where you are working. Emoluments will largely depend the sector you choose and the city where you live in. Or else over expectations will dent your corpus than you planned.
Would prefer you to identify your risks before its being too complex.

ACHIEVING THE GOALS

Indian’s are always good planners but bad executioners. Seldom plan gets executed as we over plan and then get frustrated. Keep your goals simple and let’s try to achieve them.
The key steps in achieving a goal:

1. Classify the goal in terms of value and period
  2. Understand your risk appetite
  3. Know the ways (asset class) and means (ranking) to achieve goals
  4. Allocate funds to asset class
  5. Classify the goal in terms of value
  6. Priority teaches us what to look first, then second and so on. Hence prioritize the goal to
    High and Medium only.

Say G1- Medium G2- High G3- High G4- Medium G5-High G6- High G7- Medium G8- High G9- Medium

The goal does not fall into same time bracket, they occur at different intervals leaving us for a planned management to achieve them. Easy way is to classify goals to medium term and long term goals. Short term goals should be managed via annual budget exercise. Say any goal between 3-5 year is medium term goal and beyond 5 year is long term goal.
Setting goal without knowing worth is like catching fish which are not saleable. Each goals we stated above (G1 to G9) needs to quantified in terms of money. The money is expressed herein as expected value to be paid during the realisation of goal.

Take G2: Get married in 2019. How to get into a valuation:

Know the current cost : ask parent how much it cost to get married in 2014. Either he would have experience of your sibling or he can talk to his friend. Otherwise you can ask even your known person who has recently gone through same ordeal☺

Visualize expenses trend till goal period , say you want to achieve the goal by 2018. Inflation is an indicator to apply, it may not work at all time. Better to give buffer and cushion yourself.

Risk Appetite

One of the most contagious subjects of an Enterprise-Wide Risk Management program still debated by who’s and who’s of industry. For a person its knowing what is the psychological pattern while spending and saving. This can be achieved via standard set of questionnaires which takes the route of psychometric. The questions are more directed to understand your willingness to take risks; e.g. if you win 10k from lottery whether you will put that to fixed deposit in bank or buy another lottery. If you answer fixed deposit then you are someone not willing to take risk and classified as cautious, conservative , risk averse or similar phrase. If you answer 10 questions in same pattern the tool will suggest you are well off with fixed deposit and advise you to invest 80% in fixed deposit and 20% in mutual funds. If someone is smart in defeating psychometric the whole exercise can be punctured.

After dabbling years and years in the subject I felt the questionnaire and tool can be highly misleading. As a person who answer theoretically may do the exact opposite practically, momentary lapse of reason cannot be treated as lifetime servitude. I would look at other way around:

Your expenses pattern tells you what kind of person you are. If you are someone do not mind a United States trip from salary I have no reason why can’t be your risk appetite is high.

If your indirect income outsmart the direct income there is no reason why will not take risk with surplus money. Say a bonus issue touches back to original level making the bonus shares free and it’s a complete cash gift where you have nothing to lose.
Invest in risky areas such as equity or market linked instruments and assess yourself whether you can absorb risks. Better to have moratorium period than coming to dead conclusion on day 1.

Asset diversification is closely tied up to risk appetite, traditional theory suggests asset must be diversified meaning you should not invest in one asset than several assets. My wisdom tells me few thousand Reliance shares in 1997 do not need diversification further as by 2014 they are few millions floating cash, you need not any other asset at all!

Asset Class and Ranking

Asset is defined as a resource where you expect some kind of return immediately or in future. No one buys asset for loss. In personal financial planning asset class is defined as an unequivocal place where you want to invest to achieve the goals.
What is different type of asset class (not exhaustive):

Real Estate: properties, land and building, apartment

Gold/Platinum: jewellery in readymade or raw form such as coins, biscuits.

Debt Instruments: with advent spanning of banks, debt instrument is now wider than it was. It includes government bonds, bank fixed deposits/recurring deposits, debt mutual funds, Public Provident Fund etc.

Exotic Assets: New age of asset can include paintings, coins or even antique collection.

Equity Shares: market linked instrument where company’s ownership is traded for a value based on performance. Equity assets also managed by experts known as fund managers also called as units of mutual funds for the vested amount.

It’s not the asset class which earns rather your intelligence which deciphers knowledge in advance and unlocks the future wealth. Hence no asset class is bad or good, they all been going through various cycles over centuries. You may wonder debt instrument like fixed deposit why would require intelligence or knowledge. At the time of economic disaster when market linked instrument crashes debt instruments become sought after investments. If you can predict catastrophe earlier you can very well choose safer instruments before those time set in.

Irrespective of asset one should know the ground rules such as:

Know the asset class: rather than herd mentality use your common sense and find out information before buying or selling. For example it’s the land value which get appreciated not building which becomes cheaper day by day because of depreciation. People who bought Lokhandwala in Mumbai or Whitefield in Bangalore have generated far better returns than folks who bought high rise apartment with very little undivided land.

** Know the tradability and liquidity:** Bank instruments and equity are now bought and sold with a click on internet. However same logic does not apply for real estate or exotic assets. It might take months or years before you get cash back . Hence if you have bought illiquid asset against medium term goal of 3 years may fire back.

Ownership: Ownership play a crucial role in asset buying and selling. You must be wondering once you buy you become owner, legally yes however market dynamics may not allow the fruits you could have enjoyed otherwise. For example when you buy a flat along with another 1300 owners, price move by adjacent developments or even other owners may drag down the price.

Callous approach: thinking you can beat your lenders is the most foolish way to buy asset. For example I take loan from bank @15% interest per annum and make 30% return from equity shares. Wishful thinking, all these guys have either disappeared as bankrupt or perpetually paying the loan. Trade is different from investment, trader comes with years and years of market study and analytics. Don’t forget bank also manage brokerage and funds, they know better than you at any time!

Ranking

Once we short list the asset we want to buy we need to rank them in order. The criteria for ranking must be: a. Safety b. Liquidity c. Risk d. Debt position against the asset. Either you can assign equal weight or disproportionate weight. However weightage should not be changed now and then, change them only when if you are empowered with information.

MONITORING GOALS

Goals are bound to be wrong in some aspect, perfection only comes with years and years of practice and discipline. Important you refresh goals every year to take a stock of it, don’t change them too often unless you are sure about the situation being changed. For example you had planned 10% as indirect income, it went up to 40% with some luck and discipline. Or you wanted to buy Mercedes but you settle down for Honda City.

Monitoring primarily includes:

Performance of goals every year-return, funds infusion to align with goal.

Bring opportunity cost for market linked instruments (for equity shares as example sale minus buy is not key point for decision making. Funds blocked in equity would have earned interest in banks. Hence Sale value minus cost price minus interest cost plus dividend earned minus tax advantage gives us the real return on investment. Lets cover buy and sell of fixed asset or equity shares as a separate subject.

Lets talk more about bit of risk management, prosperity tracking from applied thoughts on few of these objectives or goals listed. Next time, thank you again….Happy Investing!

MAY be we can sum up Aftab case like this: Please see attached file- kindly use the calculator……haven’t done a sense check.

9 Likes

I track three ratios to track growth, safety and prosperity.
Growth is portion of indirect income (passive) against direct income (active income). A figure of 20-25% in 3-5 years shows I am growing.
Safety I measure by net worth days , how many days I can survive without any income. I look for a figure of 8 years onwards.
Prosperity for me is when your indirect income exceeds direct income for continuously 3-5 years.

I will talk in detail in next episode. My answer now to your second question would be:

• PF is part of net worth calculation (though I would take 50%)

First question is bit tricky, what I can say perhaps is:

My risk appetite is comes from concentration bands than asset class. I only understand a little about equity markets, nothing else. I wont invest anywhere else. But as a general suggestion every asset class has its risks and cardinal rules.

At any stage I would define risk in equity for any company business by looking at:

• Competitive advantage of company
  • Quality of management
  • Risk Management capabilities (financial, operational, strategy, compliance)
  • Margin of safety (more on intrinsic value)
  • Special situation like demerger, hidden etc.

I am sure every asset class has its own risks, if one understand overcoming fear and greed even with small net worth at any age shouldn’t be a problem.

5 Likes

Suvi - Its really a must go through read. Thanks for sharing it with the larger crowd.

Thank all of you for genuine encouragements, well wishes.

Good luck for investing, let alone hard work triumph!:slightly_smiling:

Suvi

Was trying to mindmap Michael E Porter’s theory… Improvement might be required… still thought of sharingMichael Portar Strategy- mindmap.pdf (68.8 KB)

Guru Mantra 11: The Guru- Dispel the Darkness (Know Risk, Earn Rewards)

Disclaimer: International Travel House is a live case study. I am not advocating for any buy, sell or hold. Neither I hold any shares of this company, a simulation for educational purpose. Opinions expressed are mine and exclusively obtained from publicly available information.

It was 11 March 2016 , 10 in morning something shattered my so called ergonomic chair. A news that I wont be able to see my Guru again, an incident which took away a lifespan of value investing to oblivion. To me personally it was one of defining moments of life, otherwise on paper spine chilling story of an individual started from scratch and ended with few hundred crores of wealth to realise philanthropy is the best way to abode heaven.

Guru is considered as someone who teaches you at home, at society, at schools, at office. Unfortunately traditional education system captivates pupils in surrounding of pedigree, money based jobs. I always felt we don’t have a guru when we need the most. May be a sanguine debate between admiration and inspiration is unwarranted; however we are not trying to put some sort of cardinal rule for divine direction for mankind.

I along with many others promised him that we will continue to promote equally nerve wrecking story of value investors and their philosophies. Apologies for moving away few days, had to stand high and pay the last respects! But I will continue to upkeep the commitment made to my Guru.

Let us cover two key subjects today:

Progress tracking- Financial Planning KPI

Risk Management

Financial Planning KPIs

Value investing is a fascinating subject, with efforts and bit of luck you can amass wealth. Great, but how do I know that I am garnering enough wealth.

We split financial planning KPI to three types: I. Growing II. Commendable III. Freedom
I won’t be talking about personal financial planning however the KPIs are not possible unless you maintain one.

We use three ratios to identify prosperity: 1. indirect income to direct income ratio 2. Net worth days 3. Indirect Income to expenses ratio.

KPI 1: Indirect Income to Direct Income ratio….You are growing buddy!

The percentage or number is derived by dividing indirect income (dividend+capital gains pulled out for expenses not reinvestments+ rent +interest and all other income) to direct income (salary if you are employee). The objective of this KPI is to determine how effectively you are using your surplus money to generate further money or application of money. Also the percentage helps effort estimation e.g. if we spend 80% time in employment and 20% for indirect income generation it will tell us the benefit of 20% against 80%.

KPI 2: Net worth days….Commendable effort, on the way.

Net worth for us is how many months and years you can survive with your savings. Savings can be any asset class, so it is net worth divided by expenses in months or years.

KPI 3: Indirect Income to Expenses Ratio……throw the locks to ground, freedom has arrived.

Assuming you don’t indulge in direct income activities how many days or months you can manage expenses. This is arrived by dividing in indirect income to expenses.

Let’s use this example for one Mr X:

Situation 1: Salary and expenses go up by 10%and indirect income grows by 10%

Situation 2: Salary and expenses go up by 10% whereas indirect income grows by 12%

Situation 3: Salary and expenses go up by 10% whereas indirect income grows by 15%

** II- indirect income, DI- direct income, Ex-expenses

Story telling: at even 10% yield in five years you are able to survive 2.36 years from a paltry half a year. Similarly for 12% the number went up to 2.57 and @ 15% it was 3.09. (refer to net worth)

By putting money into fixed deposit @10% you are able to service 3% in first year, by the time you reach year 5 it have become 15%. @ 12% it was 24% and @ 15% 36%. That is one third of income was supplied with little effort and asset selection. (II/DI Ratio)

When you invested in fixed deposit @10% you were able to manage 0.04 years in 1 (this is without liquidating your assets) which is barely 13-14 days. By year five you moved to 2 and half months. When we apply 12% it was around 4 months and with 15% you almost serviced 6 months expenses in as little as five years. (indirect income to expenses ratio)
Is this value investing, no this is pure compounding on mathematical formulas without knowing or building capabilities for value investing.

Compounding is eighth wonder of world; those who know receive it and those who don’t pay it- “Albert Einstein”.

Imagine a 25 year old approach will throw a shock of your life, the secret….start as early as possible even if small amount!

Risk Management

We touched upon this subject last time, a RISK is basically what can go wrong for a DEFINED OBJECTIVE.

How to define objective:

Three mundane questions will help us:

-have we considered all scenarios applicable to wish list?
-what makes us think our scenarios will be accurate?
-does my wish list require validation?

Step 1: I have a wish list getting married in 2019. (Not me , I am married with 8 year old daughter :)).

Turning wish list to objective:

• what all can happen if I want to get married in 2019? Spouse from same community? Funding required for marriage? Do I need to select place?

• did I check how much marriage costs now? do I know the repercussions of getting married outside community? does the current place I am staying convenient for marriage?

• do I need to validate plan from restricted set of people like parents, friends etc.
    If I get action plan for wish list scenarios I will put it as defined objective.
    Now what are the risks? Pretty much same when you build the scenarios? For better grasp

let us split the risks to four categories:

Operational risk: like location, number of people etc. Remember operations drive financial requirements.

Compliance: the paper and documentation required otherwise marriage will be null and void.

Financial: like funding requirement.

Strategic: this is second level thinking, post marriage what other options available for failure of a marriage or job change etc?

To make it light I have taken marriage as an example.

Risk Mitigation Strategy

As we discussed last time, risk can be mitigated in four ways (in order of preference)

Treat: the best possible solution, it captivates your experience and knowledge which becomes a weapon to fight next risk in life! Examples are making recurring deposit to meet marriage expenses or consulting a lawyer to find out documentation requirement.

Terminate: don’t get married at all or postpone the date. Why this second in order? Terminating is not easy, master stroke of behavioural finance is required. The mental trauma to social stigma, all these becomes experience for life time!

Tolerate: you need tolerate this risk as very much controllable.

Transfer: May be financial roadmap can be out sourced to financial manager.
Managing risk is not only key to your achievements in life. Investment is a span within it.

BACK TO THE STATUS ON OUR CASE STUDY- INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL HOUSE (ITH)
What I did on this case study?

I dug six year annual report from BSE website, went through circulars, google what I could on company.

Abstract is most powerful thing to me, what does this mean?

To me abstract is free flow writing from sources. It becomes easier later on to classify and categorise them , improvise with further intelligence gathering.

Initial Information gathering and impression

Not a great website, poorly managed. When I was clicking various tabs, they were over lapping each other.
Thrust looks like on Car rentals, domestic packages and conference & exhibitions within India.
Online booking can not be done, only request can be placed for car hire. For others you need to connect via telephone only on working days.
Domestic packages are detailed, however appears standard packages are combined and placed on various themes. Not sure whether they change the package frequently.

Summary of Annual report studies

Group auditor Deloitte where as ITH is managed by EY.
Management Compensation available for all six years.
Long term tenured employees. No stake holding in business.
Except one director there has been no major change. A good amount of directors come from ITC Hotels.
Conversation around IT system been there for last five years. Why company is not able to implement these IT system? Is this a too complex process to implement?
All committees have been formed, well attended, no material disclosures. Either copy paste work or good performance.
Number of employees in six year has been between 700-750. There has been no increase much.
There has been a shift in activity during 2015, director talks about destination management, detailed event management. A Volvo bus service also launched.
As per directors business segment are flip flopping, more indication of cyclical behavior. But one year car rental is doing well, next year MICE. Cyclical or management efficiency?
Borrowing capacity increased, mortgage taken in 2014.
Customer care launched in 2014.But now website says 9-6, contact a land line. Possible facility withdrawn?
2011 saw acquisition (didn’t specify what) and alliance with GlobalStar.
2010 director spoke about ITC synergy.
Dematerialisation has been around 90-95%.

Industry View

Overall tourism is growing well, supported by government and a huge potential of extrinsic value waiting.

Growing at 12-14%. 13 million jobs employed over all. 12% contribution to GDP.
FTA- 16.94B. ITC is expanding by spending 9000 Cr. Total number of hotels to 150, 5 more by 2018.
Medical tourism is growing at 27% CAGR.
USA and UK sends the maximum foreign tourists.
The most visited place by foreigner and locals are Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Delhi, AP.

Car rental

Highly unorganised industry. However in last few years the model has become more aggregators based with help of advanced technology. This trend will continue further though the number of players is expected to come down. 800B potential by 2019.

Domestic Tourism and Outbound

Increasing middle class income, changing lifestyle, low cost airlines, diverse product and EMI offering working as a boost.

Inbound and foreign tourist

Culture, diversity, economical still holds the key. International events also fuelling the growth.

MICE

This is one of most happening sectors where Indians spent a lot of money outside due to unavailability in India. Current segment is around 4.8B USD.

The next step without going anywhere else I pulled out four year financials, all three elements i.e. Balance Sheet, Profit & Loss Account, Cash Flow Statement:

Basic Analysis of Financials

Balance Sheet

Commentary on Balance Sheet

Overall texture of asset has been changed mildly i.e. five years back non- fixed asset to fixed asset was around 78% which is 72% now. The decrease has come on account of increased tangible assets and decreased receivables. Trade receivables consists of a whopping 48% of asset base, efficient collection can lead a humongous rise in further liquidity and investing abilities.

On part of liabilities, share holder quota on rise. Five years back equity owners were funding 64%, now the funding is 75%. The increase in shareholder corpus have primarily come from decreased current liabilities scene. Trade payables has been knocked off largely from 24% to 13%.

Vendor have become smart and there is no improvement in receivables cycle.

Key balance sheet items for further analysis
-Reserves

• Trade Payables
  • Tangible Assets
  • Receivables
  • Current Investments

Profit & Loss Account

Commentary on Profit & Loss Account

Clearly a service industry with 98% share. As expected on expense front employee takes the big pie of 22%, depreciation 10%. All other expenses bundled to 61% which needs to be evaluated separately.

The PBT has been in same range, without any major change to components.
Tax as a portion of revenue has gone down from 5.26% to 3.03%.

Key PL items for further analysis

• Sale of Services
  • Employee Expenses
  • Taxes
  • Depreciation

Cash flow statement

Commentary on Cash Flow

The cash that is generated from operations has been mostly used for fixed assets. Apart from this company has paid dividends across the year.

Other peculiar item is current investments, the total purchase and sale is 3 times for than revenue from operations i.e. almost 500 Cr plus, however I didn’t see dividend income or gain more than 1 crore also.

Key Cash flow items for further analysis

• Capital Expenditure
  • Dividend
  • Current investments

Key balance sheet items with explanations

Reserves

The composition of reserves are retained earnings except a 11.89 Cr securities premium.

Trade Payables

It doesn’t come with a schedule, presumably against vendor. Among the other expenses 72 Cr pertain to car hire and service charges. Perhaps the trade payable are arising out of them.

Tangible Assets

Motor vehicle is biggest asset, almost 75%. Apart from that land and buildings have been shown. A good amount of land is leasehold. Plant and machinery also consists of 7 Cr.

Receivables

A huge chunk of asset is receivables i.e. around 50%. Almost all of receivables have been shown as good.

Current Investments

On balance sheet figure is only 11.50 Cr, the rest 550 Cr transactions shown in cash flow is perhaps debt funds bought and sold. Question is if customers are not paying on time who is giving money for these short term investments?

Key PL items for further analysis

Sale of Services

Operations revenue mostly come from transport and commission. Transport obviously refer to cab hire charges. Commission is received from airlines, hotels.

Related Party Transactions- Sales

As expected 63.50 Cr has been sold to ITC around 30%. However this number is going down from the levels of 90 and 80 Cr previously. And 65.80 Cr of receivables is due to ITC. The receivables have fallen from 90-100 Cr.

Employee Expenses

Usual accounts like salary, benefits etc. The number of employee on payroll haven’t changed much.

Taxes

Tax Rate % — 38.70 38.31 39.15 33.56 34.07 31.35 30.85 30.57 29.88

Effective tax rates have gone down from 38% to 30%, recently there was a decrease in corporate tax rate.

Depreciation

Depreciation have gone down despite of increase in fixed asset. The recent capex plan and low depreciation indicates assets are new.

Other expenses

70% of other expenses goes to car hire and service charges with another 6% on maintenance, 9% for fuel. Hence it makes full 85% cost for car hiring charges.

Key Cash flow items for further analysis

Capital Expenditure

Its been a significant portion of cash generated from operations. The last year bulk value was very high, arguably the next couple of years of capex plan may be mild.

Dividend

Company has paid dividend for the balance that is retained after capex plan.

Review Comments from Basic Analysis of Financials

Tangible asset base has gone up with new fleet addition which enhances reproduction value of assets. Though receivables has come down, a significant portion is due from parent. Hence timely payment from ITC can literally add 30-40% of revenue as additional cash. Vendors have been paid quicker now, perhaps due to small taxi and cab drivers.

Tax expenses have gone down, a portion attributed to reduced tax rates. Going forward depreciation will rise, this will also reduce the taxes as well.

Cash has been mostly used for fixed assets and dividend. I am not sure where is massive current investment comes from and why with so paltry returns!

Car hiring has been the major source of revenue with major customer parent company. The expenses are again spent similarly. In addition ITH receives some amount for ticket booking, may be again directed from ITC.

Permanent employee has not gone up despite increase in size of revenue, largely due to temporary nature of hiring drivers.

Moral of the story is ITC Hotels is using ITH as car service provider and ticketing agency for its guests. Apparently the other business like MICE and holiday package has not brought much revenue.

Finally I did a entry check valuation to keep myself joyful:

Entry Check Valuation-17 Mar, 2016

Adjusted EPS is 22.99, the Current Market Price is say 180. My earnings yield is 12.78%.
The last 9 year CAGR of EPS is 11.33% (from 8.75 to 22.99 in 9 years).
If I expect safe 10% earnings growth for next ten years my EPS would be around 59.63 in 2025 i.e. 159% increase post tax.

The 159% return in 20 years, if we bond rate of 8% it gives a multiplier of 73%. If we buy today we will pay 73% of 22.99 a share which is 16.78 a share. The current PE is 8.85 we will get 148.50 which is a roughly intrinsic value as entry check point.

**There are different stage gate I apply while documenting investment on concentration **
bands.

Let us talk about why popularity may be illusion and what is investment planning to avoid such illusion. I call it CAP plan (C stands for Capability Building, A for Active Investment and P for Portfolio Management).

Thank you guys for good wishes, If I am unable to navigate freely within forum….apologies, can assure you unintentional.

7 Likes

Hi @Doonsrini
I am quite weak in creating mind maps, tried few years back…couldnt use for practical purpose.

Coming back to Porter five force what I try to do is:
A. establish a relationship basis attribute between two or more force.
B. Establish attributes within a single force

One example for “B” above I put it in a different post. I hope you will like that:

What I did was extracted two attributes as investment and need, established a inter relationship to see whether some industry can be spotted.

In general I like abstracts, whole model becomes too big for me. :pensive:

Suvendu,
This is the first time I am writing in valuepickr, though I have been a frequent visitor. It takes a lot for me to open out.
I almost brushed out Guru Mantra as it looked quite cocky at first glance of the title. I thought you are one of those dabblers that bull market famously produces in abundance.
Thank got I ventured a few line. finished the whole blog !!! and it is quite late in the night.I must say substance with style. Only a truly “inspired” person can write with such amazing grace. Thanks.
Dilip Kumar Sahu

2 Likes

Guru Mantra 12: White Swan and Black River (Investing, Illusion & Competence)

All of us know Taleb and his famous Black Swan. Guruji said Taleb helped all of us to fine tune ourself to manage unpredictable events. But what about the big original beautiful swan swimming there? I asked him what happened to White Swan? He replied, we all of us set out on a long road and find a river to shoot down the Black Swan, ultimately we land up in killing the White Swan and make the river black. I said are you becoming philosophical today? No, not all……I am still searching for my way and still pondering what I have done and getting tormented by killing the white swan.

It was another stepping stone for behavioural finance for me. He said we are facing unique crisis in India, in search of hunting improbable we are ending up hunting in probable things. And these probable things are proven, tested and successful.

India- the juggernaut of uniqueness

India is unique in all respect be it our food, culture, weather, diversity and so on. Attempting any of foreign land ideas without doing a homework can be devastating, obviously it was a reference to mindless copying of foreign concepts.

Why Popularity is an illusion?

Indian investing fraternity consists of first two category to me in contemporary time. One is the big investors of Dalal Street like Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, Radhakishan Damani, Bharat Patel and so on, these guys comes with a business attitude. Second is the category of intellects who kicked their comforts for passion and include likes of Bhavook Tripathi, Shivanand Manekekar, Tej Trivedi and so on. Now there is a problem with these two categories, neither they write, speak or interact. So practically we do not know what is their investment philosophy, and this is quite contrast to global heroes like Buffett, Klarman who writes long letters, speak in front of students to politicians.
We have another category who are avid readers, academicians, not so private individual who interacts frequently with public either through blog or other social medium. Here the problem it is too academic heavy most of the times. You will be advised a list of books, articles and bombarded with words such as mental models, behavioural finance, black and white swan! Ultimately a fresher gets scared and run for cover!

The last category is “Aam investor” like you and me, who are clueless, struggling and scared too. But lots of dream in eyes, determination in heart…to turn tide once for all. The universal truth all other categories have started from Aam investor.

Popularity 1: Books and books, models, framework

My brother in law who happens to be a techie got perhaps inspired by my misdeeds of investing and decided to invest. Now here is a problem, these guys comes to make money….don’t expect them to understand business and speculation etc. But without which they will never be successful also, no one denies that. Now imagine if I ask him to go through Dan’s book “Thinking Fast and Slow” or even something like “Applied Value Investing” like Jose they will simply run away from you not investments. It becomes a moral responsibility for all us experienced folks to draw a reading chart which moves from basic to intermediate to expert.

I have a horrible experience, I have referred “The Intelligent Investor” to at least 50 plus people including engineers, accountants and doctors. None of them came back with a good review, one reaction boring!. Now not saying Ben Graham’s book should be dethroned from it’s status but at the same time we must respect diverse views. And please don’t write off these 50 plus guys, many of them are good at investing.

Second aspect of this popularity not everything what is explained in schools or followed by a certain sect of investors may not be easily replicated. Last year one developer asked me what should I be drinking after eating idly. This was in reference to Charlie’s comment on drinking of coke after food, before food. Very valid question, we are Indian…we cant drink coke after eating idly.

Better sense is customise your own ideas, cloning is act of brilliance otherwise humans wont have take million years to clone a sheep.

Popularity 2: Investing is not entrepreneurship

I don’t think any one of us have a doubt that entrepreneurship is different from investing, but do we apply them? As investor our focus should be how much earnings the entrepreneur make for us than he is building iconic towers, changing landscape of country etc. If you want to join the iconic journey why through investing? Participate directly with entrepreneur.

Popularity 3: Intelligence vs hard work

For any success I believe all we need is hard work, integrity and discipline. I find many of us carried away of measurement of success, I want to be like Rakeshji? Why Rakeshji, why not poor old Suvendu who can bring own style of recipe with enduring flavour. Measuring intelligence it self has no fool proof method, what is the point in practicing something which we can not define. Those who can are most welcome!

These are not investing mistakes which we should avoid rather than getting alarmed before bombarded at social forum.

Investment Planning within Competency

My experience split value investing (this is one word I want to use a full coverage) basically three objectives:

Build Capabilities: all that require making you a value investor.

Sustain Capabilities: all that you should do being a value investor.

Enhance Capabilities: all that you should know for remaining a value investor.

I call it, “make”, “do” and “know” theory. Am I trying to become an award winning author? No my friend, I am just trying to step up myself on the curve.

Why make, do and know?

Make is an invitation, to identify bright spots in you, to eliminate dark spots if any. If you are not confident of make it would save your time from do and know.

Do is practice, passion and ponder. This is an integral part of value investing to create value. To me “do” is core component.

Know is exhibition, wandering mind and changing views. This step helps you stay up in curve and manage surmounting challenges.

Dissecting components of my value investing approach

A: Build capabilities (making of an value investor)

A1. Education of value investor (books, research and articles)
A2. Investment Oath and philosophy

B: Sustain capabilities (doing value investment)

B1. Art of buying and selling
B2. Construction of portfolio
B3. Monitoring a portfolio

C: Enhance capabilities (knowing value investment)

C1. Contrarian mindset
C2. Behavioural Finance
C3. Philanthropy

If we look the capabilities what I did was apart from investment specifics hard work , I have added bit a behavioural finance and philanthropy; that’s all.

Investment specifics hard work, I am trying to operate within my competence band meaning I will do only what I can do. No point in breaking heads how oil and gas industry works or even how short squeeze works in markets! The competence band I call them concentration bands as I aim to have a concentrated portfolio. Concentration bands will come to you in a while.
Before that a mission and vision of your investing

One of my mate here believes one must not forget the final report while doing assignment. Rightly so, if we want to deliver something, collect and do something else end will be tragic nonetheless. Similarly even before starting one need to know what he should be aiming for, let’s be clear….not necessary knowing mission and vision in advance will ease out your journey or guarantee your success. Your mission is bound to get modified along the journey, what it helps segregate from required to not required in your context (i.e. value investing).

This is my mission and vision of value investing:

I have been practicing value investing since last 20 years; I have twice modified my mission and vision in 20 years. Here I go, italics next to line is the current status.

Vision:

Donate substantial wealth to orphan children. Current Status: far from objective but inching faster in recent years.
(Wealth means not net worth but, “how many months or days you can survive assuming there is nil income and no accretion to your income”.)

Mission:

to create and sustain wealth which takes care of my dependents. Current status: partially.

to support me enhancing value investing skills (buying resources- books, seminars including travel etc). Current Status: achieved, fully supported out equity.

to generate internal capital for further value investing practice. Current Status: almost achieved, 95% of internal capital is funded by portfolio churning.

to maintain a debt free profile, create asset from wealth creation only. Current Status: till now, there is not a single application for loan I was interested neither applied for.
(asset for me is “an economical outflow which brings economical inflow”.

BUILDING CAPABILITIES

Education and Investment Philosophy

Dude I am a MBA, u expect me to read again! My friend exclaimed when we started a conversation on value investing. For many once they join employment they think education chapter is closed, time to mint money for the splendid hard work at school. Unfortunately value investors are not so lucky, struggle starts post school education. But excitement is harder the struggle bigger is triumph is.

So what we are asking one about education and how many hours. We spoke about books earlier, yes that’s a must. If possible attend seminars, take a part time course and contribute and do always write.

The key issue is name of game, what books we must read and how to read. Following are subjects impacted by value investing in order of priority.

Economics and Strategy: to know basic macroeconomics, supply chain management, industrial behaviour, and competitive advantage.

Investment: exhaustive including fundamental study, financial statement analysis, valuation calculation, checklists, practice sheets and so on.

Psychology, Philosophy and Risks: knowing risks for a company and industry, creating a discipline and method.

Behavioural finance: biases and prejudices, prospective execution, dual system theory. The behavioural finance is the last leg of value investing foundation, this helps in taking the portfolio to so called “next league”. Beginners should avoid, may create more confusion.

How to read?

Value investing as we discussed is intense focused. Hence concentrate only if you can tie up with above four subjects; simply skip pages where it’s not related. E.g. mutual fund, international investing etc. It will make reading much faster, most of books have relevant pages and not so relevant for us. It may be relevant for others not for value investing.

Carve out key messages from each book into a word file randomly with a comment for your understanding.

Meanwhile this is my investment philosophy

Do I really understand the business? If answer is no forget.

Does the business falls within my circle of competence? If answer is no, what I need to improve the learning curve.

Is this industry easy to understand? If no what do I need know the industry properly.

Emotional quotient: am I biased to stock? Am I getting over confident? Am I impressed by one of employee friend? Do I like just because the price has fell? If answer is yes to anyone go back to understand “circle of competence again”.

Investment Oath

Oath is promise or self commitment to do certain things and don’t do certain things. It differs individual to individual. This is my investment oath:

I will not buy any business which involves in imparting school room education or bedded hospital services.

I will not buy any entity accused of sexual harassment, criminal charges or religious or racial discrimination.

I will not buy any entity which is accused of engaging child labor.

I will refuse to let a herd influence my decision making of buy, sell or hold.

Sustain capabilities is investment specific work. It’s very important to know strips or bands within an asset class. What do I mean by band? An attribute which defines asset class and more importantly can be maintained within my competency.

I define six bands for equity as below:

CBR 1 : Competitive Advantage
CBR 2: Quality of Management
CBR 3: Risk Management Capability (Financial, Operational, Compliance and Strategic)
CBR 4: Future Catalysts (for business and company)
CBR 5: Margin of safety (risk based valuations, safety net)
CBR 6: Special Situations (distressed asset, spin off, acquisition etc)

CBR stands for Concentration Band Requirements, the name I use as I want to focus (concentrate) on bands (attributes of equity investing which is within my core competence).

Few show stoppers, you may not get them in books as hardly few of them being employees. Being 21st century employees our behavioural finance is worse than our forefathers though we think otherwise. Been an employee for so many years I found these obstacles while practicing value investing:

Term it as complex or not easy on anything under sun thrown to us, be it an assignment or task at home. I always do it with that reluctance in mind in quite a few times while trying to portray like sincere fox in front others. That’s part of dual system theory under behavioural finance.

Close hindsight to outside world though we speak a lot about knowing lots of subjects. The reality is we don’t attend seminars neither we read much.

100 talks about entrepreneurship and ideas, less than 1% actually does it with so many general excuses.

Experimenting with every piece of material available on world, after all its money funded by somebody else!

Why I am saying this, few of this traits of doing more and getting less can lead to value trap! Of course there are many exceptions to the rule of game.

Why Research and Hard work Matters?

Coming back to question does writings and research make you a better investor? It has same answer does training makes you a better employee? The problem is neither with writings and trainings but a moot point called “GOOD”, so any good trainings and writings makes sense to buddying employee and investor.

So what did we find in these writings, writing can be books, article, research paper etc.
If you can’t write one page on any subject of your passion, none of your pep talks is more than ego.

No one needs to be genius being a public speaker or author. Most of these people are average rated human before they strikes gold. What made them stand out is focused objective, hard work and risk appetite.

Some interesting analytics, my request is follow HBR (Harvard Business Review) and The Economist like things:

When Bruce Henderson formed BCG, his folks asked how we get clients. He bluntly replied I am not worried about clients but I am more worried about competitor in my same space arguably he was talking about Mckinsey. Bill Bain who was a strong follower of Henderson before he created Bain & Company propagated a theory; research creates ideas, entrepreneur brings vision and mission, investor brings money and risk----end user is consumer of story. Rest all may be stakeholders but not high focused. Management fads like Cash Cow and Dogs replaced the traditional budgeting system in corporate, imagine the folks in corporate who followed like a herd and continue to do so.

Another story of Bansal’s (Flipkart) continuously rated bad by their managers in employment, never understood the objectives. When Sachin Bansal went on thrashing the employment practices of his ex- firm on media , I am sure the involved managers must be left licking wounds till the time they survive on mother earth.

Marvin Bower influenced the corporates including the mighty White House for half a century, the impact of Bower’s influence punctured accountants who were not dear to him. But Accountants fight back cleverly through classic framework COSO, COSO is stamping of extra ordinary research and innovation abilities of accountants. Unfortunately Bower was not alive to see the revival of accountants. The message here is Accountants made a strike at management consulting’s biggest weapon i.e. innovation and presentation.

Jack Welch made a huge restructuring when he took over GE, one of fierce criticism against him was off loading excess capacity or employees. He blamed everything cleverly on “Bell Curve” principles, all of his action resulted 25 times wealth creation for GE. After stepping down from GE, he was more candid….he said I wanted more alignment of workforce with organisational objective, I was not finding “worst workforce” but the “best workforce” against my vision and mission statement. So I made redundant of those who has different objectives than my mission and vision….I didn’t care anyone from MIT or HBS! And he promptly give example of few who has been enormously successfully after getting removed from GE, actually they get aligned forcefully what they wanted. These are reasons Jack Welch will remain one of most influential leaders.
You will find thousands of these stories and now for free, key is to know how to use them for best of your interest.

Behavioural traits for adopting best practices

Seth Klarman who is considered an authority for concept called margin of safety (margin of safety is widely accepted term used in value investing which is difference between value of company minus the price available on stock market) reminds all of us his journey with key punch notes: *Klarman is a billionaire and founder of Baupost Group (Hedge fund). He also has authored several books on risk management, value investing etc.
Klarman worked with Franklin Templeton before setting up Baupost. As per his book, key lessons during his employment are:

He calls employees as investors, not asset. Quite interesting to recruit investors? As per him he doesn’t think compensation matters for an employee, but vision. His job is to make people aware of their potential……if their potential is directed same as organizational objective……imagine the winning combination can be another Microsoft.
Employee should be shareholder not stakeholder because shareholder is always stakeholder reverse is not true.
I found ego is single most evil in corporate culture, ego is mostly found via external feedback. What can kill ego is simply honesty and listening skills.
Interestingly he finds very little influence of his employment history on his subsequent life. His advice is:
Focus on circle of competence (you must do what you are good at)
Victory for all (he believes if you win others don’t loose, we can win together)
Never get dejected by lack of recognition or rewards. As per him he was rated average for 13 years and that made him feel that he is an extra ordinary achiever which he needs to demonstrate which he feels otherwise not possible.

Tom Peters is management guru, public speaker , author and previous honcho of Mckinsey and Company. He brought four dimensions to individual traits:
Dissatisfaction: an inventor was asked why he spent sixteen hours every day tinkering with his work. “Because I am dissatisfied with everything as it currently exists in present form”. How do I convert irritation to inspiration?
Wandering Mind: What these ideas are? How do they remind me? How can I use these? Do I have a cluster of association to use these ideas?
Changing viewpoints: if Plan A bombed what should I do? How would I ensure second assault go to a completely different direction? How do I change my view point?
What is big picture? What are larger implications of my ideas? What are the consequences?
(** Adopted from the Book “In search of Excellence)

One must have a Guru- the problem with traditional education is we don’t have a Guru when we need the most. Bosses and manager are mostly nemesis for us whom we get rid of soon either through quitting job, or changing the department! How many times proudly we feel when we get better placed than previous bosses. The fact is Guru is most essential element when you start working be it as investor, employee or whatever; quip Lee Iacocca the famous employee cum auto guru.

I leave it on to you to find out the words of wisdom suitable for your need.

Influence of writings on Investment

For every golden word you have two rules like Warren Buffett says 1. Don’t forget the golden word 2. Don’t forget the rule no 1.

The problem is what is golden is for me may not be for you, knowing objective and vision of life is key to success: C K Prahlad (Bottom of Pyramid).

Checklist, checklist and checklist

This includes preparation, discipline, patience and decisiveness. Unless you capture them onto a paper and track them you can’t use them meaningfully. Write whatever you learnt from anywhere which is useful and practice them. The checklist is one of most successful strategy for investment, let’s discuss about investment checklist in next episode.

Motivation, hard work and patience

Authors and writes influence our way of thinking and motivation. The icing on cake for investment is most of writers are genius investors and practitioners. We get pure experience and method on a platter.

Differentiate signal from noise

We are continuously fed with information, news and research. It’s important to identify difference what is required and not. Authors do play a key role in telling them.

No substitute for risk and sacrifice

You won’t find any successful investor who has not gone through moments of anxieties and sacrifices. More so with people who started from scratch. One must have the audacity to turn the tides, and it’s not possible unless you follow the sea for ages! Real life stories teaches you the roadmap.

Risk not rewards

As per J P Morgan one should concentrate only on risks, rewards are one of outcome of managing risks.
I can go on and on, suggest one stamp their own objective and philosophy and practice them.

What is CAP Plan?

I always struggled to loop in theoretical prowess of value investing with good capital allocation and monitoring. A lot of reading definitely helped but years and years of failure point towards strong fiscal management and discipline.

That pushed me to develop own model based on three pillars of my investing philosophy i.e. I. Build Capabilities. II. Sustain Capabilities III. Enhance Capabilities.

Before I put CAP model (still in progress)

Ok what is CAP? C stands for Capability building A for Active Investment and P for Portfolio Management. This is still in progress, suggestions and views are welcome.

This is not updated version, not to worry….all of this I will cover one by one first within investment specific concentration bands and portfolio tracking.

Thanks once again for those lovely words, may hard work triumph again and bring success for you all!

Next I am coming with what is value investing and how to build a nest before moving into concentration bands.

6 Likes

Hi Suvi,

Its an amazing thread. I want to confess that it exposes how much of inadequacies that I have in all the fields of ‘Build’, ‘Sustain’ and ‘Enhance’. Also it gives fear in the minds of guys like me who is a full time ‘fauji’ and trying to invest our hard earned money with little skill and time. But hope to catch up as much as possible because its also passion. I am happy to be part of VP, particularly to read such fantastic threads. Thank you once again - Kumanan

If you give me a choice to express, investing requires three things only. If I can make them capital letters as I have a right reader.

A. HARD WORK

B. DISCIPLINE

C. INTEGRITY

As ordinary citizen we are not aware of any other cult than “FAUJI” who had, is or will excel in above three!

1 Like