Great Eastern Shipping (GE Shipping) - Possible Sleeper?

Stock is up 10% today. Their business is weighted towards oil tankers for transport & storage followed by dry commodities and E&P services. I believe some of their non-oil ships can be converted fairly quickly for oil storage use as well but I’m not certain. Oil production cannot stop completely regardless of demand scenario and oil has to be stored properly - cost of dumping much higher than storage. Today Livemint says 95% of India’s storage is full:

This article explains the situation pretty well:

Something very interesting is happening in Tankers. Rates of Crude Tankers and Product Tankers have skyrocketed. VLCC TCE rates have gone from 30000$ last year 180000$ while large product carriers have gone from 25000$ to 170000$ spot.

This is happening because of a few things

1. The market was already tight. Total fleet utilization for tankers are above 90% which is very high. Orderbook for new tankers is now down to 8% of current fleet. This is the lowest in a decade. It was more than 40% in 2008.
    This is the reason why when Trump sanctioned Cosco rates jumped in October.

2. IMO 2020 rule changes have reduced fleet availability for installation of scrubbers etc.

3. Usually tankers are used to transport oil whose demand should come down due to demand destruction because of Covid. However, crude oil production continues to be at all time high (opec cuts only kick in from May). This means that the surplus has to be stored somewhere. While crude demand has reduced from 100mbpd to 70mbpd production has only come off a little. Even after opec cuts and economies opening up demand isnt going to come close to supply. This has caused land storage to fill up and floating storage to be used.

4. Crude oil market is in a super contango. Which basically means that spot prices are at a steep discount to futures. Spot prices are at 1200Rs while September futures are at 3000. This means that traders and oil companies can sell futures, buy spot, rent a tanker to store the oil for the duration and earn a risk free income.

5. Port related issues - with covid outbreak all countries have instituted new rules for ports and ships coming to the country. Many countries have mandated that nobody can board or leave a ship 14 days since the previous port. This creates significant delays for short voyages and takes capacity out of the market.
    With land storage getting filled and demand collapsing many countries have reported 2-3 week delays in discharging of cargoes as there is simply no space.

6. Refineries have not been able to cut production as fast as the collapse in demand. Thus they have resorted to exporting the surplus sending product tanker rates higher.

To add to all this Hin Leong Trading which went bust a few days ago had a large fleet of VLCCs and product tankers which will be out of the markets for a while.

Basically, ships will earn a lot more for a couple of quarters then earnings will normalize towards the end of the year. But stocks are down 30% and are not factoring in good earnings.

Views invited

8 Likes

This is a very interesting conversation with some fantastic inputs in this thread.

I’ve always been fascinated with shipping. It’s one of those industries that has a very long cycle - and it’s been battered for a long time now, and still shows no signs of revival, despite some of the promising numbers thrown around here. It’s one of those sectors whose valuations are screamingly low. But is it worth it at current levels?

I don’t know. There’s no doubt it looks very attractive from price standpoint.

However, the biggest concern in the industry is lack of talent. Being a merchant navy used to be a posh career choice – a captain used to earn enough to buy a house on a single shipping assignment (of course, this depends on the contract) now typically earns a pittance, barely just enough to make EMIs and put food on the table. Several of my shipping friends have switched careers.

Also, the fixed cost of running a fleet of ships now cost more than the freight in some cases, depending on the fleet allocation (smaller ships are easier to maintain, but fetch less income, etc). Insurance cost is also higher (thanks to increased piracy!).

Besides, the competition is just brutal. Significant over-investment in capacity during the 2000s practically killed the industry. Maersk, for instance, hedged their bets on supersized tankers, in anticipation of burgeoning demand for oil. Obviously, in hindsight, this backfired. Some large shipping carriers have gone bust. There are many other factors – mis-allocation of capital by ship manufacturers and shipping companies, global warming (shipping is one of the bigger polluters from what I’ve read, though not as much as air transport), climate change, among other things.

IMHO, the future of shipping lies in dry bulk and inland waterways (i.e. smaller ships which can cater to local economies). Margins for dry bulk is lower than oil but offers more “stability” than oil. I reckon oil demand will last for around 20-30 years more before “green energy” takes over. Inland waterways is a massive opportunity as far as India is concerned. Unfortunately, we’re still stuck in blueprint phase and it’s not showing any signs of life.

In a nutshell – too much headwind, lots of waves. Only super-strong balance sheets will be able to ride out this prolonged recession in the industry. I don’t know if we have any. I see good numbers from GE Shipping, but they aren’t consistent quarter after quarter to give me confidence to invest. It makes sense to do position sizing, build a small position, just to see where it goes.

Sure, one can do some momentum investing, but it’s ridiculously hard to pick entry/exit points as stock market prices tends to be super-cyclical and volatile in the short- and medium-term.

From value investing standpoint, shipping is at its inflection point. Is it ripe to invest with a 10-15 year horizon? I’m very intrigued how this plays out.

Just my two cents.

Disclosure: Tracking.

3 Likes

Very confusing scenario as of now.While Oil tanker rates are high because of obvious reasons, Baltic exchange Index is at the lower band of 617 while the 52 week high has been 2518 .This could also be due to low economic activity around the world.If this improves there could be bounce back .The low fuel cost which forms around 50-60% of the operation cost can also add to the recovery in margins .GE shipping has been one of the very well managed companies in the field could be the out performer in this case.

how does Great eastern shipping compete with other global shipping companies whose cost of capital is obviously much lower ?

Company has a total of 11 crude carriers,17 product carriers, 5 gas carriers and 13 dry bulk carriers.
I was expecting muted revenue for the remaining year once the oil contango was over. The bounce back of baltic dry index came in as a pleasant surprise. From a low of 400 pts in May it has moved to 1555 points. The levels were last touched in Dec’19 before the covid crisis.The growth in crude oil prices also is expected to support the E&P activities of the company. Promoters have been buying shares actively from the market. Dividend distributions and buybacks from the company also looks good.

Discl: Invested and hence biased.

Lots of interesting research/point on this thread, thanks for all the contribution it helped me understand the business a little more.

As a value investor cash is more important to me than any other performance metric. This is how the cash flow looks for the past 8 years. Just to gain some perspective on that.

Edit: Disc: Not Invested| Just started researching

4 Likes

I have no knowledge of shipping industry but come across this news and got intrigued. I think this could have very positive impact on earnings if this is sustainable and not just temporarily event. If people closely following this industry can give their inputs is highly appreciated

2 Likes

Sorry, i couldnt follow your calculations of net cash flow. taking data for FY 20 from Screener:

CFO = 1481
CFI = 622
CFF = -1872
Net = 230

Your CFO matches closely but other items and net cash is way off from that data. I am just trying to understand your calculation.

Hi Jet Nebula,

In my spreadsheet, I’m not tabulating the cash flow from investment rather I’m explicitly inputting the net Capex for any particular year. CFI can have other line items such as deposits placed or mutual funds bought/sold. In my calculation of Free Cash flow, I don’t take such CFI into account. This gives me the true Cash picture of the firm.
This is also the reason why I avoid the screener and make my own spreadsheet from the Annual Report.

As you can see in the above snapshot of 2020 AR, the CFI includes items such deposits/withdrawal of deposits/etc, while net capex is to the tune of 100Cr. Hence, CFI smudges the true cash flow towards operational investment.
The same is true for CFF.

1 Like

GE Shipping up by 16% yesterday on high volumes. This is being led by the increase in the Baltic dry freight index, apparently at a 10 year high.

Several global shipping companies have gone bust. So, there is a shortage of vessels which is driving the Baltic dry freight index.

This is a cyclical company, last all time high was reached in Jan 2008 at around Rs 550…

Seniors in the forum, kindly share your views

Disc: Have a tracking position

A paragraph from “Capital Returns” explains the last shipping cycle.

Robin Greenwood-1_LT.pdf (66.4 KB)

These are my working notes (not complete) from a research paper “Waves in Ship Prices and Investment” by Robin Greenwood and Samuel Hansen.

It talks about how the prices in the sector fluctuate.
This is an underavalued play on the so called “commodity cycle”.
There are few points which we need to understand here:
At a particular point of time there is a fixed fleet of ships floating in the oceans.
Old ships are being scrapped and new ones are being built continuously.
Now what happens in a surge of demand?

1. Companies respond with ordering more ships but the industry suffers from a time-to-build problem. The ship takes 3-4 years to build usually till that time dynamics change and demand falls and overcapacity ensues as the investors receive a delayed response to their actions.
  2. Another effect is competition neglect: that is you are unable to understand that yur competition is also doing the same thing of building more ships when demand springs up but due to a delayed feedback (lot of time to build a new ship) the companies are unable to understand the consequences of their actions.

Slowly most of the companies move out going bankrupt!
Hence high current ship earnings are ass with higher ship prices & higher industry investments but predict lower future returns on capital.
Conversely high levels of industry scrapping - a measure of disinvestment forecast high returns.

Is there a profitable with cash company available in this bad sector!
A: GE Shipping.

So does GE shipping has a low orderbook today?
Yes, it perhaps has the lowest orderbook today in the past decade.

PS: but this is a highly difficult business to understand d/t many variables.

Disc: small position at lower levels

8 Likes

I think the company’s earnings are more sensitive to tanker rates which is heavily battered by OPEC production cuts and release of floating storage. If the production cuts are rolled back along with demand revival , tanker rates also may go up which will make the company an attractive cyclical bet.

Company keeps a large cash equivalent in the balance sheet and pays interest for the debt. The company has given an explanation that the large cash is kept for purchase of assets whenever opportunity comes ( like in a downcycle). I exited as the company is doing a lot of buying and selling of ships in the same cycle.

Not an expert. Had positions

2 Likes

A very detailed post on the shipping industry with focus on GE Shipping.

9 Likes

Likely rerating
Board meeting for buy back
Avlbl at deep discount to nav

BUYBACK THROUGH OPEN MARKET PURCHASE

Hi All

Need some help in understanding the tax paid of < 10% of Profits consistently for past many years by this company. Seems it the same for most of the shipping stocks. Can some one explain why\how is could be?

Thanks.

(Source: money.rediff.com, Disc: not invested just for education purposes as a student)

1 Like

You can read up on tonnage tax, which is an alternative taxation system available to shipping companies, iam not sure if GE follows it, but it reduces your tax outgo

5 Likes