Great articles to read on the web

India has a huge population, so any disease incidence if taken in absolute number will be high. To know whether any disease is actually high in a country one has to look for the rate (example - disease per 100000 persons). India doesn’t come on top in cancer, hypertension or diabetes according to them.

8 Likes

h/t Prashanth_Krish on Twitter

4 Likes
4 Likes

Anyone think its time to Ai proof their portfolios :frowning: Just saw the new version of ChatGpt and its already way better than what it was last year.

Being optimistic on AI and vice-versa pessimistic on humans, its time to get rid or at least think hard about what AI could replace in a portfolio. I took a look at mine (lot of IT and finanicals) and very few passed the AI sniff test.

Only Eicher Motors and Supreme Inds look safe. Safe because they actually deal with “physical” objects. I also feel the AI fear could have something to do with the run up in “physical” stocks like mining, shipping, etc - nmdc, hindcopper, geship etc to name a few. Yep, AI still doesn’t synthesize gold or copper.

2 Likes

Is there a very specific threat that you are seeing in the competitiveness of any of your portfolio companies? Any evidence of that threat playing out? Just trying to learn more about this.

My opinion is that businesses would adapt.

1 Like

Nice video summary what happened to Japan…

4 Likes

How are you conducting the AI Sniff test?
Please share the Checklist and thought process behind it.

I have two book recommendations for those who are looking for contemporary investment style and timeless wisdom

1. Expectations Investing by Michael Mauboussin
  2. What I learnt about Investing from Darwin by Pulak Prasad
4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Looks like a tall order but good to see we are trying.

2 Likes

Refreshing read on what happens if your favorite holding period is forever…

6 Likes
  • The easy phase of the bull market is over
  • We see buying opportunities in consumption, especially food-related companies, as rural demand picks up
  • Last quarter, we exited most of our PSU names because we felt that some private sector names were in a better position.

Sometimes I feel that if a normal investor can keep up with these sectoral rotations. As soon as retail investors got attracted to PSU banks, the consumption sector is now in fashion. It’s a full-time job to get that extra alpha.

3 Likes

Stock Market Concentration

1 Like

Very Good Explanation About Economy

5 Likes

Interesting article on the rise in power demand due to AI and data Centers. “ It requires 10x more power to run a simple query in AI vis-a-vis google search “

5 Likes

An excellent interview with S. Naren, CIO of ICICI MF, by Zerodha Varsity. He covers a wide range of topics - contrarian investing, cycle thinking and the difficulty in knowing how long cycles will go on, finding the bottom and top of cycles, value investing, how different asset classes offer opportunities at different times, recognizing the limits of one’s knowledge, structural investing (where he acknowledges his limitation), temperament, the importance of support groups, continuous improvement, why not to be a full-time investor, managing funds, creating the balanced advantage category, special situations investing, considering mean reversion while investing in mutual funds, downward protection, learnings as a CIO, following a process, developing home-grown talent, his investing gurus, doing pre-mortems etc.

4 Likes
  1. Most expertise will be near free

2. Most labour will be free

3. Computers will be more pervasive

4. AI will play a large role in entertainment and design

5. Internet access by bots/agents

6. Medicine will go from sick care to proactive and personalized care

7. New food and fertilizers

8. Cars will not be there…

9. Fly at 4000 mph

10. Fusion power

11. Resources will be plentiful (deep mining)

12. Climate/carbon solved

5 Likes

Siddhartha Bhaiya on Cracking the Multibagger Code. He explained easiest way to find multibagger.

5 Likes