Gokaldas exports -- cup and handle/rising channel

Given the current context - where Small and Mid-caps have risen quickly (more because of higher interest in the space & valuations re-rating), it could normalise to long term (factoring in the risks)

While I have been quite bullish here (personal bias), trying to be value conscious as well now.

As the price of Gokex settles, a lot of the Earnings (that would increase) as well as the Valuations (Re-rating due to company’s improved prospects) might have been priced in.

With this, I’ll pause with another appeal to seniors to kindly share their thoughts
(having shared the context)
Views invited

Everytime I read the concall of Gokaldas or hear him speak on TV, I am impressed by the way MD answers all the queries. Very clear thought process.

Disc: Invested & Biased

Update: My information is changing and so are my views. The information gained includes:

trying to be value conscious as well now

@Ruchit_Shah - What is Gokek’s value in your opinion?

Imo, this is an early start. The sector is coming from a downturn and the market trying to discount the real numbers is yet to start. Whether is it peak valuations or not, depends upon the investor’s time horizons. There are some triggers that are yet to be achieved such as FTA or even sector consolidation. Peak valuations are often made at peak margins and my understanding says that we are far from froth. Likely, the game is just starting.

West has been diversifying from China. Indian manufacturers haven’t been able to gain anything and the current numbers are not close to the potential. Gokek’s and the Ministry’s are focussed on the same geographies/params. The froth will likely be there once all the triggers are in place.

Disclaimer: I’m invested in Gokaldas Exports. Me & my family members may be invested in other stocks whose names may or may not be mentioned here. This isn’t a BUY/SELL recommendation.

3 Likes

Given the specific situation (as detailed above),
I would discuss the relevant factors i.e. numbers to get to the Valuation.
And happy to hear contra opinions here.

@wiseunwise shared the approach of Reverse DCF above.
It looks like a good way to look at Valuations.
I’m assigning the numbers that look rational to me.

1. Earnings
    Atraco’s current earnings are 30% & 35% of Gokex’s revenue & profit’s resp
    Adding a conservative 30% to last yr’s Profits of 173Crs, comes to 225Crs.

Let’s take 2 scenario’s of discount rates 15 & 20% (reasonably high benchmarks)

1. No of Yrs & Terminal Multiples go hand in hand
    A. No of Yrs
    Once the FTA’s are in place, the growth should sustain for a long time.
    Let’s take the 5/10/20 yrs as scenario’s
    B. The Terminal multiple – the average P/E from last 3 yrs, is around 20.
    The way Gokex has progressed, by now, it looks like a formidable player.
    So P/E of 20 looks like a conservative benchmark.
    I’m assigning terminal P/E of 20 on a 5/10 yr period & 15 on 20 yr period

We get a Implied growth rate of 10/ 15% depending on the Discount rate.

The Management has guided for 20% growth rate for long term
(The MD, Siva Ganapathi ji looks conservative in his approach & quite credible, so far)

Onto the FTA, the Textile minister, and Geopolitical context.
The closure of FTA has been widely speculated since a while now.
I have been following Piyush Goyal ji’s mentions on newspapers since a while now, and surely there’s prominence to FTAs.
Also, G20 seems to have gone well, and further consolidates Inda’s position globally.
And daily we are looking at corporates validating India’s manufacturing Renaissance.
So India’s Textile manufacturing growth looks quite assured.

Given all of the above, I’m quite comfortable with the company’s current Valuation.

Disclaimer: Invested & Biased. Imho, the discussion’s primary focus is Valuation.
And in that regard, would humbly request to kindly highlight any apparent mistakes/ flaws in the approach/ thinking to avoid going wrong on a high conviction bet.

4 Likes

FTA with UK could be signed soon.

Sharing a more comprehensive blog on FTA with UK
(if anyone wants to have an even more detailed look)

Both the countries would want to complete FTA before elections.
If Rishi Sunak does come here, would be a strong signal that closure is in sight.

Considering how well Bharat has done at G20, now I’m even more confident of our ability to negotiate and close tough deals.

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Interesting name appears in the shareholders list in the latest quarterly update.

Catamaran Ventures Llp (Narayan Murthy).

As strong a signal on the FTA closure as any.

11 Likes

anyone tracking this company closely? Are there any latest updates from concall?

Haven’t attended any concall after recent acquisition after Atraco group, here is the latest [Rating Update] from Crisil (Rating Rationale)

Govt extends RoSCTL for export of aparel/garments and made ups upto March 2026.
PIB2001049.pdf (49.3 KB)

1 Like

Looking at the investor presentation, following stood out to me:

While US sales remained resilient, it was driven by price rather than volume (full price, miminal discounts). How long can this continue ?

US & EU Imports are down by 22% and 16% respectively (YTD). And Indian apparel exports are declining as well (14% YoY).

Company was expecting Fed rate cuts, which haven’t happened - this will likely impact consumption in US, specially in apparels without discounts (which is how the industry made money in near term).

Looking at all thes numbers and commentaries - are we looking at a few subdued quarters unless export economy picks up ?

Disclaimer: Invested with a small tracking position, and biased.

3 Likes

Below is my current picture of Gokaldas after Atraco and Matrix acquisitions:

FY23 Consol Sales 3643 Business Share (Index=FY23) FY23 Revenue Mix FY25 Sales Mix Notes
Gokaldas 61% 2222 2555 Assumed 15% growth (could be cosnervative number as MP, TN facilities also come live)
Atraco 23% 838 922 Assumed 10% growth
Matrix 16% 583 641 Assumed 10% growth
Current Gokex PAT Margin 6.41%
Assumed Consol PAT Margin 6.50% Gokex could see some operating leverage
Atraco has lesser EBITDA but tax benefits makes it EPS accretive
Matrix is EBITDA accretive and EPS accretive

FY25 PAT 268
Current MCAP 5687
FY25 PE 21
MP + TN addition to Gross block nearly 60% could add 1200 Cr of sales over 3 years
Sales Acq Cost P/S
Atraco $107M $55M ~ 450 Cr 0.5
Matrix 596 Cr 489 Cr 0.8
6 Likes
1 Like

Any idea on what’s being discussed in - Announcement under Regulation 30 (LODR)-Analyst / Investor Meet - Intimation on29 Feb and 1 March?

While it’s not the UK or the EU FTA, signing of India EFTA (Switzerland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Iceland) indicates that UK and EU FTA are realistic possibilities. Deepening trade relations is going to be a positive for garment manufactures from India.

3 Likes

What’s your views on current valuations ?
It has corrected 20-25% from highs and results too have improved compared to Q2 and management guidance of doubling revenue in 2026.

2 Likes

To me valuations look alright especially after acquisition numbers are accounted for. Bet is on management execution and they have done well so far. It can still double from here if execution remains intact and some demand tailwinds come back.

4 Likes