Goal: Financial Independence

@Ashusharma I totally agree with your views, next year definitely will not be a cake walk.
The only reason I am entering because I believe I have reach saturation level for my large caps and I am holding till large cap rally starts again. Its good time to accumulate big giants but also don’t want to lose opportunities present in small and mid cap space.
Definitely script selection should be good and I am regularly tracking and reading blogs/reports from experts to keep myself updated.

I forgot to mention with recent exit from HDFC life and SBI cards, I took the call and made use of opportunities in Bajaj Finsv. Till now I feel it was really good call from side and already sitting with profit pct of 13.
With recent salary I increased my holdings in SSWL (steel strips wheels) and Bank nifty etf
newly added GuficBio and dharamsi morarji.
With recent positive noise on ICICI bank,reading lot of good things happening in ICICI bank, I was bit confused infusing my amount in HDFC bank or Kotak Bank so I went with bank etf. In few upcoming days I might keep either HDFC bank or Kotak and decided not to add ICICI irrespective of growth happening in ICICI bank.

This is wonderful thread going on Gufic Bio one can look for tracking
Gufic Bio Science
and another one is Steel Strips Wheels Steel Strips Wheels

Feel happy to mention current portfolio is ATH. Want to share my folio top 3 losers and gainers
Losers:
Burger king: -8 %
India mart: - 5.5
IGL: - 2%
Not worried much about Burger king and India mart, I am continuously looking at IGL business.
There is nothing wrong in financials yet, I think market is overlooking as of now on gas theme. More noise on EV and thats main reason, but I feel gas sector has potential and currently holding IGL and Gujarat gas and had exit from AGL few months back
Winners:
Saksoft: 144%
IRCTC: 121 %
STYLAMIND & POLYCAB: 101 % approx

Currently I am getting heavy on Bank Etf, SSWL and minor in dharamsi morarji

Its been great since last week, definitely the fall was seen on my portfolio.
I recently exited from HDFC AMC after holding for 1.5 years and mere 12-15 % returns.
I will keep continuing to keep it in watchlist and may add in few months.

I am sitting on 2% cash and really want to make use in this dip, but still waiting for better picture to play out.
Want to exit from IGL and HDFC bank
and tracking infoedge, Rolex rings and Tata motors.
First priority is to replace IGL and HDFC bank with Info edge

Took some time out to provide some updates
Seems my past actions helped in accumulating cash by taking exit from IGL, HDFC bank.
In recent volatility I exited from few of my positions where I was at marginally in profit or loss
Exit ones are: IGL (+3%) , Indiamart (-18%), IEX (+21%), Grauer and Weil (-3%), MacPower (-4%), KotakBank (+8%)
Reasons behind exit is not because of any change of story with business, I might revisit few of them and they above all are in my watchlist.
Except Indiamart with recent continous acquisitions it was getting difficult for me to understand about management views but rest above each script looks good and intact even in this falls.

Add ons: On every dip I have added ETFs (BankNifty, Nifty and Gold Etf). Adding Etf on dips has become mandatory and made myself very straight to do on this.
Scripts: Slowly started with Adani enterprise, Happiest Minds ( new ones)
Avg Scripts: VBL, PDSL, Stylam Industries, HIL , Burger King , Garware Technical Fibre.

Note: It was bad move to exit from Kotakbank but at same time allocated same amount to BankEtf.
I am planning to sit on cash though I had never been able to achieve this in my investment journey, so how much I think or try to sit on cash, I am sure I will be adding few scripts on every dip :smiley:
As of now my plan is to keep myself away till march, but lets see.

Many of us believe keeping 40-50 scripts is overkill, but in this fall I got one good reason I was able to exit from few of less conventional stories and still not worried about them, whether I will be able to catch them again or not in future. Even if any of script drastically move up from here, I will be less worried cause there are already good scripts in folio already where I can add.
I will try to share my recent folio with alocaltion %.

This is my recent portoflio with % allocation

Probably/focus is on my shares having perc less than 1 mainly (Adani Ent, Radico, Happiest minds)
and probably SRF, Dharamsi Morarji
Any suggestion would be highly appreciated

5th stage(High net worth) is not necessary for financial independence. If you need your independence early, start with cutting on your Luxury or “SHOW OFF EXPANSE”. It will save a lot of years of the rat race!

4 Likes

Its been while since my last updates and there are significant changes I made with my recent portfolio.
These changes are not in my major holding, they are probably same and even might have added few perc in fall whenever I would have noticed like recent falls in polycab, carborundum universal, HIL, RBA and few others.

Major changes I have gathered good perc on SRF and DMCC.
Radico and Happiest Minds not yet, they might be next move. Its good IT is under correction so I will get ample of opportunity to add HM.

Booked profits in Adani Enterprise (though I was holding less) even I booked, reason is well known for all I believe, don’t feel safe and don’t want to be part of any trap if it happens.
With today’s post I want to bring focus on my two strategy which I will be adopting and already working on it.

1. First major is I have exited my gold ETf and Nifty ETF sip and invested major chunk in NMDC and few perc in major holdings. So I will continue my sip in NMDC and Bank ETF now
    So idea here is I want to play dividend stuff which I have read and listen to many investors, since they started living on dividend. Since my age in under 30 and this investment is not for my type, but I wanted to play it out and slowly accumulate any good dividend yield stock so that in later stage I don’t have to deploy my good amount at one go. The reason for NMDC is changes in story ( I can put wonderful video link if anyone want) which influenced me and I know many of us would be wondering why not ITC?
    I have my reasons for not selecting ITC.

2. Well 2nd strategy is about keeping 3-4% of my cash aside to play small play/gamble with small/middle cap.
    Basically more of swings trade, since I am not aware about technical’s so I will be playing with themes or sector in play. Max holding could be a week or 1 month max and book profits till I can digest and surely loss could also be possibility.
    For recent e.g I played in Reliance Infra.
    Note: It’s not good advice and some might feel trading and also I might not be good at it due to less technical charts reading or getting occupied with my work.

I will be posting my portfolio perc change in a day or two to keep the post running.
Definitely I am actively reading lots of good portfolio on VP and most of ideas are stolen :smiley: from here itself.
Credits: @Tar , @sahil_vi , @valorem , @Malkd , @Chins , @Vineetjain111 , @hitesh2710
I keep reading there updates and try to follow there approaches.
Definitely feedback would be highly appreciated.
Happy investing :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s been quite well now, I recently tracking my daily % change and comparing with Nifty.
So probably Shikhar50 vs Nifty50 and I can conclude mostly it overlaps.
Now I really want advice from someone here, whether chart movement is healthy or I need an improvement. What should be an ideal scenario here
Definitely I feel experts says “alpha” for this.
Looking for feedback. I will definitely keep this updated with more data points in future.
Thanks!

Couple of last weeks have been tough for most of the investors and I am happy to say, my folio gains were also tossed off.
From overall folio just to round up I have lost my 15% gains and there are few players which got badly injured due to results or some other factors, but also at same side few of them remain intact and showed good sign.
Badly impacted are : NglFinechem due to input costs , Voltas due to bad sales, Burger King ( can follow individual thread) to look for reasons. There are few others but above are the most with above 22% loss.
Good scripts: VBL , Garware Tech fibres, Saksoft .

In overall it has been good exp to face this and still the situations are not good.Like I said most of the scripts are 15-20% down and some have really come to good valuations.
My strategy for coming days:
I will keep it simple won’t try nothing new. Will mostly sit idle and trying not to average down or sell any scripts as none of my script has shown any alarming sign to make exit till now.
I recently booked some profit with exiting from Page Industry and Asian Paints and booked loss in Gujarat gas. Reason is simple to accumulate cash.
Looking forward to accumulate Bank Nifty Etf and NMDC more either with SIP or lumpsum to play dividend strategy which I mentioned in last post.
There are few scripts which are in watchlist: FiemIndustry , Endurance Tech , Lux Industry and Birla soft, GPIL / Tata Steel.
I might add them slowly in coming or do nothing and just watch but most probably I will chose 2 of above to keep my Shikhar50 intact.
Till then any advise from fellow VP are highly appreciated.

Happy Investing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Shikhar - Re NMDC, please provide the video link if possible. I’m keen to know the thesis and understand your rationale of picking NMDC over ITC. Thanks!

@Matt1985 please find the video NMDC

Note: you might find all the good things happening and going to happen in the video but do your own due diligence before taking any step.
There can be lot of antithesis associated, generally I consume good things and avoid noises.
Disclaimer: Invested and holding

Thank you Shikhar. Much Appreciated.!

It has been tough and we still have long way to go. Portfolio is impacted and its been fun companies valuations and managements are being tested
After recent exit from few stocks I started tracking and added DHP India, Mastek, Acrysil, Fiem Indusry, ASM Tech and Apollo tubes (these were already in my mind, I was just looking for fall in them since most of them was high so I moved to others).
I do have funds to add in good proportion but might slowly add them in dips with 5-6% fall, only exception is with DHP India I have done 70-80% buying already from last month.
You can definitely look for individual thread on VP and learn about business more, since I am not good at explaining my reason and thesis.
Additional to this NMDC and Kotak Bank ETF SIP is already going on, to be frank I add lumpsum on dips, never liked SIP personally but the theory is same to make sure to keep accumulating them for 1-2 years.
I believe after adding above mentioned scripts I will be back to 47-48 scripts in my folio and I am looking for 1 or 2 more max in this fall.
Watchlist: GPIL , Tanla, Tata Steel.
Having difficulty in building any commodity related cycles so I like to play mostly proxy for sectors which I don’t have better understaning.
For GPIL I am tempted due to stock price and cheaply available ( but why? and I am suspicious for same)
Tanla future doesn’t look bright
TATA steel no comments ( govt. policies, geo tensions and since I have already NMDC why to have 1 more pain :smiley: )

Any suggestions from fellow VP will be highly appreciated. Good luck for all, dont’t lose hope and keep adding value, who knows another bull run is waiting for us in future :slight_smile:

I would like to say this as this thread is about FI.

Be clear of what you are expecting from equity, FI should have a number along with a time frame. If the objective is FI, for your own life, then there ought be a plan, if the objective is beyond that, then you can focus on learning and experience, which again will lead to better decisions and hopefully better returns later.

For example, you say you have 47-48 stocks in your PF and still looking to add a couple more. Is this your plan? This argument exists because not everyone needs to have a goal, an objective, some people just invest for various other reasons. As the markets fall, there will be only a few pockets, or a few stocks which don’t fall, so in a falling market, many names that we know will also fall, we cannot keep on adding such stocks, might as well buy index. The primary reason for investing in a stock should not be its fall. One other reason this is a pertinent question is because, you said you have been in the market for a few years now, so you have seen a fall, a rise, and another fall. So if you have a plan, however broad it is and are investing as per the plan, all good, or if you think you are yet to commit yourself or serious capital and want to learn for some more time, then you can very well continue your learning in your own way.

I also say this because, I used to have a many stocks in PF, not now. I had them at the beginning, when I was a complete newbie, perhaps I wanted to feel that I owned a few shares of so and so company, and it was because I was not directionless. Now I start to question and try to find if a moat really exists even for the household names. We can have a core and satellite approach, or a small position for tracking purposes but not a long PF which does not serve any purpose. I say this because I guess it is very hard to concentrate on many stocks, more so when you have a full time job, and even professional analysts fail at this.

Just my thoughts, as I had been in this position, not long before.

2 Likes

Hi @ChaitanyaC thanks for the feedback and really appreciate your views.
Definitely the thread is about FI but if someone looking for defined paths , he is in wrong thread.
Definitely process for me is new and tough to understand, but trying and following my mind. I might be prove out to be wrong with this thought or might end up just creating wealth but not fully FI.
Plan for FI is simple I am focusing on my prime learning/profession, focusing less but trying to be active weekly with my folio, spending less and investing more than 50% of my income.
There is no as such numbers which I want to attain since there it depends on lot of factors and to be frank I am not clear with it too yet.

Now coming to part of whether 50,30,10 or 5 stocks, I kept myself away from this thought and couldn’t make my mind to keep diversified or concentrated. I believe it might have worked for you since you found yourself in the same position like me but everyone has own way to get comfortable with.

So if you notice thinking is same if you see concentration of my holding which are above 2.5% its atmost 15-18, which you termed as core and rest you holdings are below 2.5, merely 1 or 2 % which you termed as satellite.
Idea is too keep taking opportunities with scripts which are ongoing or having tailwinds due to any reason and once they are played out keep adding profit to core ones.
One more interesting fact which I liked in this strategy is sometimes you catch a fish which can eventually become part of your core. From personal exp I can cite about Polycab, StylamInd and VBL.
Initially I never thought they would become my core but eventually they are now.

Definitely if you can highlight how you are learning it and give some path or directions, I will appreciate it.

This is what I was highlighting, a plan, which you have. As you are focused on your professional skills, I would say your way of investing suits that plan. At the beginning, some people invest in too many stocks, they cannot separate them into groups, core, satellite, tracking etc. I would not call this FOMO, it is kind of wanting too many, but this could clutter the PF. Yours it seems is not that.

And as you are investing more than 50% of your income, you can invest and likely achieve both FI and wealth. FI is a goal, one that has a number and time frame attached to it, wealth on the other hand is subjective, like inheritance, you can inherit a bungalow or just an almirah. So you can think about that.

As far as the learning goes, we all have our own ways of accumulating knowledge, some by the book, some in unorthodox ways, some after experience, and some vicariously.

1 Like

Its been while posting my latest holdings, I am still on cash and added few stocks as tracking as well as playing short terms.
GPIL, Fiem Industries, Acrysil, Apl Apollo and Mastek. All these are for tracking and might have already 15-20 % profits in few of them. Any dip in any of them I will keep buying if they never come to my buying price, I will drop them.
After booking profits from Divis and IEX (both almost got doubled), I think its time to revisit them. 5 -8 % drop in each of them will make me compel to use my cash on both of them.
My sips continues with NMDC and Kotak Bank etf and one of my tax saving funds.
Theses are my holdings with holding perc.

Inlcuding my tracking there are 45 stocks in total.

I just found an interesting thread for calculating XIRR for the portfolio by @sahil_vi .
For reference: XIRR calculation

Interestingly for past 1 year it came out to be 13% and for past 3 years 40%. I am pretty happy and amazed at same time.
Portfolio updates:
Averaged and added few scripts: GPIL, NMDC, HIL , Apollo tricoat and Bank bees.
Exited with profits on some scripts for swing trades: Fiem Ind, Acrysil, Radico.
Totally exited my position as well as tracking from Mastek, BN rathi securities.
Currently looking for tracking/swing traded: ASM technology (might add in core too) , Natural Capsules and Gujarat themis.

I believe my portfolio recently made an ATH and felt good, lets see where the market take us from here.
No changes in my top 25 holdings.
Sagar cements and RBA have decently improved, almost in loss still 7-10%.
Major position in loss(20%) is Nglfinechem, lets see how management plays out.

Any advise from fellow VP is highly appreciated.

2 Likes