Electric Cars/Bus :: Call it a Disruption?

Very good results from Hindustan Copper

http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/5e22ea9f-f5e8-4c9c-b502-54eea8d3638b.pdf

This is a very good thread! Glad that I stumbled on to this :slight_smile:

Lithium Ion battery industry (and its inputs) won’t be the sole beneficiaries of the transition towards electric vehicles. Apart from cobalt/copper producers, we should also focus on:

1. Electric drive train manufacturers - Any Indian manufacturers?
  2. Charging infrastructure - will the current fuel stations be transformed to charging stations? Which entities can come into play here - Power grid corporation of India?
2 Likes

Slightly different take on EV and an eye opener of sorts.

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=newssearch&cd=18&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwji4sDrxrbXAhUYTI8KHQ2lCMk4ChCpAgg5KAAwBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-5068585%2FSome-electric-cars-worse-polluters-petrol-diesel.html&usg=AOvVaw2Y6jut9w21lyO9h-XctURU

Research that Audi is doing on e-diesel -

4 Likes

Very interesting news in Economic times

Gist

1. Goldstone Infra supplied 4 pure electric buses to BSES.
  2. Buses run on Li-ion batteries - 4 of them.
  3. No gear box, shaft or internal combustion engines. (Who are the manufacturer of this parts?)
  4. Cost of running the bus - Rs. 8/km
  5. Can run upto 200km on single charge.
  6. Three hours for full charge.
  7. Cost 1.8 crore/bus.
  8. Single charging point at backbay depot.
5 Likes

Thanks for posting the article on e-fuels. If electricity production doesn’t come from renewable sources then this could become a viable alternative, if you just consider the CO2 footprint. However electric vehicles you don’t have a combustion engine, no crank shafts, gear boxes etc. So at scale, electric cars should be much cheaper than petrol/diesel cars (I am hoping the battery costs will go down). What if e-diesel is used to produce electricity to power electric cars? :thinking:

1 Like

Informative read on future of EV in India, challenges and opportunities.

2 Likes

Suzuki (Maruti) and Toyota to join hands and sell EV from 2020.
http://newsroom.toyota.co.jp/en/detail/19809436/

This means we could see themes like below to play out:

1. Tyres might get disrupted. Low rolling resistance tyres required and has higher margins. Tyre replacement cycle is accelerated due to high torque. EV cars are heavier. So more wear for tyres. MRF is my personal pick.

2)Maruti could go back to the days of 80% market share if other players fall behind. Fat market share means more margins due to volume play. However the spare parts replacement would be reduced for EVs and can hit earnings pretty hard. So risky if balance is not in their favour.

1. Motors could be produced locally and a few listed players like igarashi could benefit.
  2. copper is as important as Cobalt and lithium for EVs. Commodity play with players like Hind copper.

Tesla comes up with electric truck with 500 mile range.
The battery to be produced by Suzuki in Gujarat seems to be the latest SCiB model with fwsdts charge of up to 80% in under 6 minutes. A coffee sipped in under 6 minutes can take us 80% of total range.

Disclosure: I hold Maruti and MRF. Forms huge part of portfolio.

2 Likes

Motors - KECL will be the only beneficiary, if EV manufacturers decide to go for Domestic made. KECL already power to Mahindra EV

http://www.kirloskar-electric.com/media-room/news-and-events/181-special-motors-for-electric-vehicles.html

Tyres: No idea on tyres disruption. If it is there, then the biggest beneficiary is NOCIL.

Battery: All existing including HBL will be benefited, if they are able to do LI ion battery. Metals like Copper, Aluminium - Hindustan Copper, NALCO will also be benefited. Rain Industries, Himadri also will be benefited

3 Likes

This is the other side of the coin @Mridul without any clear answer as of now. I was involved in similar debate last year with a big Tesla fan in US and he could not answer this beyond a point. I am surprised nobody is asking these questions about the source of charging power and its impact on the environment.

May be its all Elon Musk impact and the entire game has been hijacked :slight_smile:

Regards,
Suhag

1 Like

Let’s see the contrarian view to ev.

1 Like

@aammiitt2 the article doesn’t open … can send a word document maybe if possible for u to copy and paste … So that non members can also see… thanks in advance and sorry for the trouble

We care more about our wallet than our planet!
When price of a km goes from Rs. 6 to Rs. 1, we will have to move to EV. Add to it that maintenance cost is very low. Cabbies can give cheaper fares - read it as ola and uber.

I drove EV not to save environment. I used it as my drive was primarily within city and charging was free near my house. If I had to go outside the city, all I had to do was rent a car with fossil fuel.

3 Likes

@suhagpatel @Uservijay @Mridul

Listen @ 4.25

Elon Musk on why electric cars are less polluting even if they use electricity from coal power station.

4 Likes

IMG-20171119-WA0006

Mumbai public transport gets its electric bus with 200 km range , top speed of 70km/h , and charge time of 4 hours.

2 Likes

In Manai-Rohtang (given the steep climb ups, this is certainly a brave move), 25 E buses made by the same Goldstone BYD of Hyd, is already in service from Sept

3 Likes

HPCL and IOC have started charging stations in company owned stations.

Looks like all parts are stacking up as per plan. We might be able to buy EV and travel to places beyond 200 km if we have 1 or 2 charging stations every 100 km.

2 Likes

More charging stations are required. It will take 30 Minutes to be get charged. NTPC also have massive plan.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2017/10/24/indias-ntpc-set-to-enter-ev-charging-stations-business/

1 Like

We still have 10 to 15 years to build the infrastructure. If fleet owners can build and manage for their cars, it will be a good start.