Dcoder Portfolio for Wealth creation

Whats your thesis on Amara Raja? i dont see them making much headway in Batteries.

For EV segment play , being in India it will take longer than usual. Thus no plan to exit until something drastic happens in next 4-5 yrs.
It was exide or Amara Raja , gone with this.
Financials are okay.

Can you please explain the rationale of Finolex industries ?

Fundamentals were fine.

Disc : Not holding as of now

Sharing top 10 stocks with high allocation

Kotak Mahindra , Avenue Supermart, TCS, Relaxo Footwear, Bajaj Finance, Hindustan Unilever, Whirlpool, HDFC life , CAMS, Pidilite

1 Like

Sharing bottom 10 stocks with worst returns ) (-25% to -65%)

CarTrade Tech, Vaibhav Global , Indiabulls Housing, Nykaa, SAIL , Metropolis, Newgen, Amara Raja, Alkyl Amines , Nippon Life AMC

Lesson Learnt from my journey since 1 year
(a) Buy price matters ( even if you are planning for 5-10 years)
(b) Small & Midcap can have crazy volatility ( read about it but experienced it firsthand :stuck_out_tongue:)
(c) Be really cautious if you are investing in Govt companies
(d) 20% discount from top may seems good but the stock can still go down (most of these stocks further went down by 20 to 30% in 1 yr)
(e) Try to reduce your portfolio size.( have ~50 holdings as of now , will reduce it when the time is right).

Disc: Havenā€™t sold any of these. Will probably wait for window to sell unless something worst happens.

1 Like

(a) Since you have said that these lessons are learnt in last 1 year and since you are assuming that holding period is 5 years, then may be you should wait for another 4 years to conclude that whether buying price matters or not. ( my personal opinion is, it may matter or may be in very long term , may not matter, we will know this only when we reach thereā€¦hindsight realisation)
(e) How many stocks you are planning to hold in a portfolio after all the things are bought and sold? Do you have any figure in mind?

1 Like

Thanks Mudit for the suggestions.

(a) Agreed. My takeaway was that since COVID , all stocks were giving rather bullish returns ( not normal) and they were bound to come down because they increased so much in such short span, I should have taken this view into consideration during buying. ( At buy time , I thought I donā€™t want to miss just in case it increased even further)
(e) Thinking of ~30 as of now , can be more but the aim is to have need to look into 10-15 companies max , rest can be bluechip etc. So that they donā€™t need constant evaluation.

1 Like

It is good to see a concentrated portfolio and I am sure you have high conviction and reasonable return expectations from it.

Just a few suggestions-

Insurance sector in India is a very good opportunity as of now. The stocks are beaten down and below itā€™s long-term averages. So if you have HDFC Life in your watchlist, it might be a good time to make some positions in this space.

EV sector is quite promising but the risk involved is equally high. But one can benefit from the proxy play of wires and cables. Institutional wires and cables are really important for building the transmission and Charging infrastructure much important for the growth of EV sector.

Also, some stocks have higher weightage in your portfolio. It is not always a bad thing but I hope you understand if these stocks underperform, it might adversely affect your overall returns.

HDFC Life already allocated it to almost capacity , no plans to add further till it goes significant downward.

Yeah , have Polycab in watchlist.

Also , not plan for equal weightage for stocks (as opposed to popular theory) , bigger allocation for bluechip stocks , so not that much of a worry.

Do not have concentrated portfolio (almost 60 companies :stuck_out_tongue: ) , will exit few of them once the time is right.