Cross-check Price to Book of New India Assurance?

New India Assurance released it’s number yesterday. I tired calculating it’s book value per share. My calculation shows the number to be 475. Several leading sites are showing the number below 200.

Book value fy18 = 39,151 crores
Number of shares = 82.4 crores

Therefore, book value per share = 475

According to Screener book value is 176 whereas moneycontrol and valuereserch mentions it at 158 & 118 respectively.

I would be thankful if someone could cross-check my calculations and reason for differences.

It’s coming as - Rs.196. Book value can be calculated as net worth, ie share capital+reserves or net of total asset and liabilities.

@Anirudh72
Can I have you attention here? Thanks.

Hey,

These sites have failed to include the fair value changes for purpose of calculation of book value per share

Your calculation is roughly correct,just exclude the minority interest component

So networth should be 39151-24=39127 crores
Bvps=39124/82.4= Rs 474.75 per share

Even the company’s Q4 investor ppt mentions the networth as Rs 38300 crores
As to the reason for the difference between the two figures,could be related to some accounting/consolidation entries but roughly we’re correct

In case you’re interested,they are holding a concall today at 10 am- dial in on 022 71158242

1 Like

The “other income” has been gradually reducing to almost nothing post the IPO. Is this a willful step from the mgmt / govt? No wonder the stock is languishing at such a low price.

1 Like