Contrarian Investment : Always looks the other Side

Let me first introduce my Philosophy in investment, as my user name and the title of this Topic suggest to always look the other side, these could be making bets on things that are overlooked by the market, this could also include things that are less heard and can be invested into to gain massive and especially look for opportunities in sector that are moving while a single stock is not moving due to just market pricing into few small issue that can be recovered.

Now my Philosophy is over that is my primary goal to invest like that but still as a normal person also invest in MF, some blue chip, and market trendy stocks but also look for some opportunities so it is not my only view but always a majority.

Now we can see the Return to date, I have tracked the XIRR from May 2021 and till now have around 30% XIRR (I will say majorly markets are like that as XIRR in Nifty is pegged would be around 18% too) , will also say would not like to show total numbers but will say Percentage would be something that I personally think would do the deal.

My Current Stock Portfolio consists of US Equity and Indian Equity too in a ratio of 25-75 respectively and with the percentage of stock in the portfolio and with their Tiny thesis below ( have data in my Excel sheet so would).

BAJFINANCE - 7.73%
CDSL - 2.21%
DIVISLAB - 7.72%
EQUITASBNK - 6.03%
HDFCBANK - 7.48%
INDIAMART - 6.19%
ITC - 1.82%
JUBLFOOD - 5.12%
LAURUSLABS - 5.33%
MID150BEES - 4.35%
SBICARD - 4.62%
TATAMOTORS - 8.79%
TECHM - 1.94%
MSFT - 4.05%
PATH - 2.32%
GOOGL - 3.54%
AMZN - 4.06%
PANW - 3.50%
SMCI - 2.90%
TSLA - 0.69%
BABA - 1.70%
METV - 2.22%( ETF for Metaverse is more broad in nature).

Have Only held a low percentage in ITC and CDSL because to gain long-term capital gains were held these for a long time ie 3 years + and sold most but what I recently bought will get sold by the end of this year else would need to give 30% tax (I fall in that bracket).

Will Bunch a few stocks together buy in a group and place bets.

HDFC , Bajaj Finance and SBI card mainly a contra bet on Finance and PVT bank sector and major companies that I like and also see valuation as good with great track record, and for SBI cards it’s too cheap to ignore in my opinion.

Laurus Labs and Divis labs mainly Pharma Bets are great players in beaten CDMO business and some chemicals play to it.

Navin Flourine mainly chemical play would have done amines too but after analysis, these 2 and pharma are quite linked together so other great chemistry + CDMO in Navin flourine.

Indiamart and Equitas Bank a pure MSME and SME play and bet both on the online and Finance side.

Tata Motors is a company in EV + vehicle going well and one of the most performing stocks here holding since 2020 around.

Jubilant a beaten-down QSR that is good, tasty, and big, looks good value to me.

Google , Microsoft and Amazon a holistic and more Broad Cloud play top 3 + added business that I understand I am in tech so.

UI path most risk and full bet a pure play RPA(Robot Process Automation + AI play).

Pawn ie Palo Alto network will say not doing well but a cyber security firm that I like better valuation and many other headwinds that I don’t think will be a downgrade but the market is cashing in.

SMCI is cheaper than NVIDIA and I gained more than Nvidia like around 300%+ in the last few months though have cashed out but just rose to make it look big and might sell soon.

Tesla and Metv major in valuation and tech that I want to see so betting on it see as small satellite bets only

Graph

8 Likes

Why not Ugro capital for betting on growing MSME financing sector, NBFC should do better as compared to banks or SFBs?

My portfolio includes:

Bajaj finance: 26%
Ugro Capital: 19%
RBA: 9%
Samhi Hotels: 8%
Aavas Financiers: 12 %
Sona BLW: 14%
Aether Industries: 9%

What do this about it?

Like i understand it would do better then SFBs and banks at least in growth but their are two reasons that I bought it.

1. I bought a long time ago before the Reverse Merger so gained well in it so a bet that is more planned than recent.
  2. Valuation and Risk profile, I personally don’t track very actively in terms of stocks so quick buy and sell might be hard I need a player that has some base of valuation + good growth, here the main bet is on the shift from pure MSME loans like AU (not similar but can be very close) so their price to book looks good and in terms of total gains would be more like Growth + valuation.

Would still look deep into this and arman finance and if possible will post my study too.

It looks good but is highly concentrated in my opinion toward the finance sector 50%+ is something I might never suggest though totally depends on Risk appetite and portfolio vs your total net worth(Like in my case other than this hold MF(Mainly Equity) + cash + EPF that in terms become 30% so for me risk manage this is something to always look for).

Would still want to know views over RBA over others like Jubliant and Westlife as I personally think Burger as a business might underperform over other QSRs

1 Like