Commodity and Cyclical Plays

Hi, there are multiple sites, for China Mysteel.net is the best but everything is behind a subscription which are prohibitively expensive. I just read news articles published by various industry website to keep myself abreast. Best is to use google alerts with keywords like “China Steel Exports” etc and you will get all news in your inbox. It can get a bit overwhelming as most of it could be repeat or useless but it’s free!

5 Likes

Hi Rakesh,

Very nice presentation esp i dint know much about God power & Ispat. what is your view on Aluminium prices sustaining at this level or does it have the leg to go further
How about NALCO which is still at <1 P/BV but with huge operational leverage and cost adv over others, and no debt, what kind of EBITDA per tonne at current USD 2020 per tonne of Al will NALCO achieve ?

Thanks
Balaji

Found this (link) while looking up for upcoming global capacity augmentation of iron ore. Vale restarting operations. How soon can this mine start supplying?
(This article is available as free content)

So, there will not be any more increase in iron ore price by NMDC going forward. This can be due to pushing the infrastructure growth and cater to domestic demand so that jobs can be created. NMDC is expecting better Q4 as well. Due to high royalty for merchant miners in the recent auctions, the supply also got affected.

1 Like

Hello Rakesh Sir
what’s your views on Kalyani steel?
A Debt free company , September quater results was exceptional,demand from auto sector looks robust and price has not soo much increased as compared to its peers.

1 Like

Informative article

Thanks @Rakesh_Arora for helping me set google alerts

5 Likes

@jitenp bhai, thank you for your very valuable insights.

I also had a few conversations with people I know in the paper industry, and it seems after a long lull writing paper prices are starting to see an upmove. Additionally, paper board is already seeing a strong price increase trend due to pent up demand.

You also mention the paper cycle and favourable valuations earlier, but just wanted to understand what is your take on the above conversation and also what could be the duration/extent of this cycle pick up from your experience?

Thank you

2 Likes

The last image was quite a significant event. JSW is now India’s second largest iron ore miner (captive mine though)

5 Likes

Hello @jitenp Sir
Wanted to know your views on the Sugar Cycle…
Technical chart shows a due breakout soon on the long term chart.

I am a zero in technicals so cannot comment on it. As of now, this is something I am not playing.

Due to huge supply in India. My view over last 3 years has been that it can be trading bet. Not an upcycle bet.

2 Likes

By the way Ferro Chrome prices have moved from 65000 to 95000. A contra bet in an underlying stock is playing out.

4 Likes

Whenever China market booms in steel and SS … Indian Chrome companies have natural advantage
Following is chart of FeCr on comparative adv with other top producing countries

Yes, demand has improved a bit and so have the prices for writing and printing paper. Still some way to go. Kraft and paper board also seen decent upmove. I think we should see a good upmove once there is opening of schools in a major way.

As far as longevity of cycle goes, one can’t be sure. But upcycles can easily last for a couple of years. I always have exit strategies in mind during upcycle itself.

5 Likes

Post a US$70/t decline in steel prices, margins of steel mills in China is already nearing zero. Does this means lower downside for steel prices?
Source: Is it time to throw in the towel?

4 Likes

Iron ore supply shortage to continue

1 Like

Validation of the demand as well as realization recovery from Satia Industries

Looking forward to Seshasayee & WestCoast results in next days.

2 Likes
3 Likes

@jitenp hello jiten bhai.how are cement fertilizers and polyster films for playing upcycle.How is demand outlook and supply for this sectors. Can cement sector benefit from infra push.can fertilizers benefit from decrease in per unit price of oil and natural gas.can polyster films sector benefit from china Factor.Thank you in advance.

Steel sector outlook from Tata Steel investor presentation:

1 Like