Commodity and Cyclical Plays

Hi, would you suggest entering IMFA currently? What is your outlook on the ferro chrome play and could china flood south korean market because of adverse policy from USA? This could make life tough for IMFA.

I have added the FerroChrome players recently. I think risk-reward in favor. Made basket of 2 integrated players.

7 Likes

Old but relevant article for ferrochrome players…like IMFA and Balasore!!!

Soaring demand in China for ferrochrome, used in the production of steel, is helping Indian ferrochrome producers like Indian Metals and Ferro AlloysBSE 3.61 % (IMFA) and Balasore AlloysBSE 3.15 %. Given the firm demand and prices in China for ferrochrome (FC) and limited global supply , most of the producers of the alloy have diverted their sales to China, resulting in supply shortage in the country.

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/55592408.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

1 Like

I saw in all the Steel Mags, Ferro-chrome Prices remaining Firm.

As per IMFA press release, contract price for Q4FY18 has settled less when compared to Q3FY18.May be Q4 results will be tad lower .Q-O-Q incremental revenue in Q3 & Q4 FY17 may not repeat in Q3 & Q4 FY18.

This has worked out well. One is up almost 40% and 2nd one 25% in less than 2 weeks.

3 Likes

https://www.edelweiss.in/research/tactical-buy--indian-metals-and-ferro-alloys-ltd-e4ee56.pdf

1 Like

In case anyone is interested in hospitality industry cycle, can check this post.

1 Like

Aluminium is up and about. Up 15% in the last couple of weeks and also trading at 6 year highs. Easing of trade tensions and sanctions on Rusal has done wonders.

1 Like

@jitenp

This is with reference to 70% acquisition of Zimbabwe Alloys Ltd (ZAL) by Balasore . As per disclosures ZAL has chrome ores of about 72 Million MT (effectively 50Mn MT for Balasore). The acquisition price paid by Balasore is approx. USD 92 million. This works out to about USD 1.8 per mt for chrome ore. As per edelweiss report shared few days ago on this forum the price of Zimbabwe origin chrome ore is in the range of USD 360-380. Even after considering mining cost of USD 100 (just an wild assumption) the equation works out to be too good to be true. Am I missing something ?
Nothing mentioned about royalty and taxation in the disclosure by Balasore.

regards
DIsc: Tracking not invested

1 Like

Hi @jitenp, Would like to know your view on the copper play, I know you have exited but with my limited knowledge I still believe the copper play is still in a stage where we can get in and ride, your expertise view would be greatly helpful.

I think copper as a commodity will continue to do well.

1 Like

Thanks @jitenp for your valuable input, much appreciated.

Hi Jiten, any views on hotel industry ? Thanks

1 Like

Hotel industry seems to be doing good. But, understand that it is a tough industry. So, one must pick the stocks carefully.

2 Likes

@jitenp Any views on the Aluminium and Alumina pure play post the Rusal ban imposition. Prices seem to be skyrocketing. Even today new is that the prices have increased by 5 % in LME Market . A 17.4% increase in aluminum prices in the past one week and maybe even more of alumina prices taking into account the already deficit should go well with Indian Metal players. https://www.ft.com/content/151f278e-419a-11e8-803a-295c97e6fd0b

Disclosure : My personal view may be biased as I invested in NALCO once the news broke out.

Aluminium in demand!

Serious price/action with volumes in Nalco and Hind Copper. I see that same is the case with Hindalco.

Aluminium has had a fundamental shift since Rusal sanctions and prices have shot up since for both Aluminium and Alumina so its understandable. Not sure what’s up with Hind Copper though. Might just be the routine pump-and-dump like last time from 65 to 100 and back but Aluminium might have more near-term tailwinds if geopolitics doesn’t play spoilsport.

Disc: Invested in Nalco & Hind Copper.

1 Like

hind copper is the only producer of nickel and nickel prices are on tear

2 Likes

Could be because of the touble with one of the largest copper producing mines in the world (in Indonesia).