Chandra's Shameless Portfolio

Dear Friends,

I feel so bad to post my Equities portfolio here. Well - I'm in the equities market for more than 10 years but did not made any money. I once had 100+ stocks as my holdings.

I did day-trading. I tried to learn candle-sticks, I tabulated buy calls and target prices for the scripts from various brokers. Then bought few, sold the ones which are in profit (when it goes 10-15% up). I thought I'm smart, bought stocks based on TV advisors and any report and blogs i visit. I even subscribed for paid calls (about 5K a month), "powering" my trades to identify multi-baggers, etc., Oops, I admit, I'm a failure.

For the past 2-3 years, I'm in this forum, learning from the collective wisdom. For the past 1 year I spent my time in cleansing my holdings. Finally, today I have ~ 30 stocks in my portfolio.

Can you please advise me which ones to hold and which ones to knock off. I'm ready to book loss and move out from dud ones. Thank you in advance.

~ Chandra

Stock

ITC

Average

% of pf

7.75%

VOLTAS

7.50%

TATAMTRDVR

6.88%

SBIN

6.81%

ASTRAL

5.82%

GODREJIND

4.98%

IOC

4.86%

TCS

4.24%

LAKSHMIEFL

4.08%

MCX

4.04%

GEOJITBNPP

3.87%

IONEX

3.21%

NTPC

3.06%

COALINDIA

2.80%

NHPC

2.70%

VSTIND

2.69%

UNICHEMLAB

2.61%

LLOYDELENG

2.59%

HDFCBANK

2.57%

HCL-INSYS

2.38%

EIDPARRY

2.17%

SAIL

2.12%

IGL

1.72%

BLUESTARCO

1.65%

HCC

1.50%

CONSOFINVT

1.17%

STAN

1.13%

TITAN

1.03%

GAIL

0.86%

MOIL

0.70%

FMNL

0.50%

Hi Chandra

First thing I will advice is take easy on yourself. Except very few very counsious folks and some other lucky once, everyone follows the same path as you did. Specially 2008 recession hit everybody so much that in general large section of Indian retail investors left equity completely. Frankly, I had to see a similar fate as you did although for a smaller timeframe. One learning which you may come handy- dont invest on anyone else’s recommendation. Listen to everybody, validate factsas far aspossible, understand the risks of business, understand valuations and thencheck if technicals are good. These are minimum steps, thinking more wouldnt harm anyways.

I would advice giving lesser stress on the average price and check every stock on its merit.fact, If you plan to a complete overhaul, I actually recommend ignoring what you have competely and come up with a fresh approach to select stocks and invest there. That could even mean selling everything in extreme case.

Specific to your portfolio- While this could do very very well in current election rally and IF (big IF) India goes back to 8-9% path very soon, It can also hurt you enough if that doesnt occur. Top 9 are good if you want a large cap portfolio primarily (55%). Among others, I will recommend you to sell any stockwhere you have lessthen110% conviction and to buy some Pharma/ Agri related/ Consumption stocks. Refer to threads in valuepickr and you will get some interesting stocks for sure.

Hi…

Dear Friends,

)–> We all are in one way or the other. As Gaurav told, be easy on yourself.

forum,

)—> This forum is run by some of the best hearts and brains…

So why haven’t you modeled your portfolio with the vp portfolio, even though you are here from 2-3yrs…

____

Only Astral from vp ?

Can you

)—>You can blindly move out of PSU stocks…

Other than that please go through the individual vp portfolio threads and build your conviction…

Based on current valuations and possible****future returns, you can try to get into stocks slowly

Regards

mallikarjun

merit.

Thanks for the point Gaurav. I should come out with my "Price anchoring"

stockwhere you have lessthen110%

Ok - Understood here. I need to go for some defensive ones too. Will gather conviction once I read the threads there.

Thanks for your time Gaurav.

First, thank you for reviewing my portfolio Malli.

Well, I’ve been suspecting the good ones, most of the times, they were overvalued. I was waiting for a correction to buy.

Also, the ones which I bought based on my conviction built thru’ VP - I sold with 20% profit. Thats my problem. I missed a huge ride on those ones. Like Page, Gruh, etc.,

I realized what my problem is )- I buy something based on others conviction. But sold it on going up 15-20%. I neither follow mybrain. Nor follow the best brains to hold.

)—>You

I will definitely move out of most of the PSU stocks. But what’s your thoughts on these one I hold.

NTPC
NHPC
SAIL

GAIL
MOIL
Coal India
IOC
Indraprasta Gas

I bought these with some thoughts, definitely not a blind buy. Probably they don’t hold good now.

NHPC : Hydro power plants will generate money for 100 yrs plus without major CAPEX
MOIL : Monopoly player in india
Coal India : One of the largest in the world
Indraprastha : Monopoly
GAIL : Monopoly on pipelined gas

Okay, If you were me, would you sell these and convert into something solid like NESCO or Mayur? Again, thanks for your points. They will really guide me in right direction!

Also, the ones which I bought based on my conviction built thru’ VP - I sold with 20% profit. Thats my problem. I missed a huge ride on those ones. Like Page, Gruh, etc.,

)---- Please recognize that the ride is still going on…Not yet late.

Hi Sekhar…

Individually have no idea about other stocks except IGL which I used to track earlier…

I didn’t mean you bought them blindly…

You can get out off psu’s blindly after some rally… Generally Psu’s are money guzzlers, inefficient n get into one mess or the other…

Would have surely got rid off psu’s on any given day…

Sorry i don’t track mayur or nesco…

Alternatively you can go through ‘capital allocation’ thread… The best :slight_smile:

Regards

mallikarjun

Thanks Mallikarjun. So this will be my agenda for April / May.

Now that you own PSU stocks, please evaluate each stock and then decide when to sell. Next year or two might actually be good for PSU stocks given the valuations. So take a hard look at each stock you hold and then decide.