Chaitanya's Portfolio

Portfolio.xlsx (5.2 KB)

Company Allocation Column 3
Kotak Mahindra Bank 17.76% Consistent performer available at reasonable price. Has long runway for growth. Strong subsidiaries.
Mahindra & Mahindra 15.92% Dominant launches. Absolute star performer in SUV segment.
Narayana Hrudayalaya 17.15% Healthcare provider with good track record and long runway for growth
Infosys 16.14% Largecap IT with high cashflows. Excellent track record with consitent dividend & Buybacks
Power Grid Corporation 17.22% Monopoly in power distribution + attractive dividend yield + reasonable growth
Natco Pharma 15.82% Unique business model with strong balance sheet. Company is diversifying in other areas and markerts.

Hi Everyone,

I have decided to finally start dabbling in stocks directly and keep my portfolio updated on quarterly basis. My investment rationale is influenced mostly by Chuck Akre & Terry Smith. For finding companies to invest in, I like Akre’s 3 legged stool approach of “Great businesses, talented management and high reinvestment rates.” and after finding company to invest in, I like Terry Smith’s approach of “Buy quality, Do not overpay, Do nothing.”

While these are easier things to say than to put in practice. I have made one personal rule of not putting less than 3% in single stock on cost basis and not diversify to more than 20 stocks. I will keep adding more capital and hence portfolio will keep diversifying but this is start of my portfolio which I have started in 2024.

Any suggestions or questions are welcome. And I would also like to thank @harsh.beria93 & @gurjota for their portfolio threads which have helped me immensely in finally finding courage to start investing as a retail investor.

5 Likes

Congrats for starting your direct stocks journey! Seem to be solid businesses and you’ve good allocation to these name. Good start!

You may want to consider some names in consumption (not FMCG but sectors such as household appliances, tourism, etc) as I believe Indian household discretionary spending will increase over period of time.

Came across this fascinating video on this topic.

Btw, I happen to hold Kotak Bank with similar thesis on subs although now am not so sure of optionality of listing them separately as it seems to be merger seasons!

https://forum.valuepickr.com/t/kotak-mahindra-bank-low-cost-liability-banking-franchise/24914/65

The stock price of kotak mahindra has been in a consolidating phase for the past five years. I would like to know, if the company is a consistent performer why has it not reflected in the stock price.

I can think of few reasons -

1. Private banks were trading at premium (P/B) and public sector banks were trading at discount and we can see now that PSBs have caught up and private banks P/B are fairly valued or undervalued. So, basically mean reversion has played out last few years.

2. Specifically, for Kotak, there was uncertainty around succession plan of Uday Kotak which kept price range bound.

Now that 2. is no longer an overhang and value funds like PPFAS adding Kotak their portfolio am hoping price will catch up with business value.

1 Like

I am planning to add some names in consumption space in future as more capital becomes available to me. Also, that you for the video it was really fascinating deep dive in investment process of Mr.Maran.His investment approach resonated with me.

Also, regarding Kotak Bank, I think while they don’t de-merge various businesses, I still like Kotak Bank at its current valuation a lot more than its Pre- Covid valuations.

I think current price movement of Kotak Bank is similar to consolidation phase in ITC. Earnings growth without price movement increases margin of safety for me and also gives me more time to accumulate more quantity of the stock.

1 Like