Due to unique situation I find myself in terms of personal finance I am currently planning to build a portfolio to be initiated in next few months.
Currently I have a small equity portfolio which has gone through considerable trimming. I call it my learning portfolio that I have mostly built during 2008-2011. That was a time where my knowledge of how to analyse a company was half formed (or maybe even 20-30% of now ) and mostly passed through the Lynch filters but I hardly did very detailed analysis. Looking back i did stick to some basic principals that helped me bring decent returns.
- Growth companies in easy to understand spaces (no pharma, IT, commodities, etc.)
- Low to zero leveraged /debt companies
- some of the positions triggered by awareness of the market (Havells, TTK)
- Be quick to drop less favored ideas for those where I have stronger conviction
- Try to buy with a margin of safety
- I did follow some of the investors who have taught me a lot like rohit chauhan
I also fully acknowledge that I have been lucky having rewarded by this bull run and I refuse to take full credit for the good return so far.
- Havells (avg. price 36) - I got interested during the time they aggressively started building the brand. Classic differentiation in an largely unglamorous space
- TTK (avg. price 427) - I was looking for a consistent performer that consumers will always buy no matter the macro cycles
- BEL (avg price 248) - This was through my study of analysis by some of the gurus i follow
- Titan (Rs. 78) - Simple story for me to understand
- HDFCBANK (rs. 248) - At some point I felt the banks were being undervalues so I took position in 3-4 quality names
- CRISIL (rs. 421) - again through some well informed blogs
- KOTAKBANK (rs. 87)
- AXISBANK (rs. 101)
The future portfolio is likely much bigger and while I still like all the above names I have refined my process and places like valuepickr have helped to strengthen some of my convictions on my new picks. There are a lot of business I like but right now I still don’t think there are many value plays out there. The portfolio has to be of great companies at fair price (still not willing to overpay even though love some of the names out there)
My picks at the current levels are
- PI Industries
- Mayur Uniquote
- HDFC bank
- Yes Bank
- MPS ltd.
- Accelya Kale
- Ashiana Housing
I also have a list of names I see as relatively value picks for me where I want to build a starter positions to evaluate on a medium term
- Camlin Fine
- Kaveri Seeds
- Sharda Cropchem
- Kovai MEdical
- Inox Wind
- Control print
- Atul Auto
Apart from this I do have a wish list in case value becomes attractive but where I feel it is tough for me to take a position at current levels.
- Eicher motors
- Rupa &Co
- Amar Raja
- Poly Medicue
- Kewal Kiran
- P&G hygiene
- Asian Paints
Would invite views/comments.
Would like to use this thread as documentation of my investment journey