BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange)- Bet on Financialization?

The traditional way of buying MFs is through RTAs (CAMS, Karvy, etc). These are the 85% odd of the market as of today. The whole appeal of Star MF like platforms is that essentially you can aggregate all of these RTAs and make the MF investing process 1) completely digital so no need to go the RTA with physical documents & 2) convenient since can do all the processing for different mutual funds at one place instead of coordinating with 4-5 different RTAs and 40 different AMCs. The competitors as of today are MF Utilities (platform run by AMFI) & NSE MF (NSE run platform).

Essentially, Star MF was able to acquire so much market share because they just had superior functionality in the beginning when they launched, so when various distributors were deciding which platform to opt for: Star MF seemed the obvious choice. There is a moat, switching costs are relatively high. I dont think it is feasible for a distributor already on Star MF to switch unless functionality being offered by another platform is much better. Essentially, think of what it would be like to switch from using Gaana.com to Saavn/Spotify. You would have to migrate all your songs from one platform to the other, which makes it unlikely you would do so unless there is a significant benefit from switching. It is a similar case from Star MF.

So, Star MF today, which already has 50k + distributors on its platform, out of total distributor base of about 120k in the country, is in a great position to scale the platform up. Growth can come from:

1. Existing distributors (already signed up at Star MF) routing more of their existing client transactions through Star MF
  2. Signing up of more distributors
  3. Overall growth of the mutual fund industry transactions

My understanding is that Star MF is largely a platform for Mutual fund distributors vs PayTM is more for retail investors. Essentially, PayTM can be a customer for Star MF. I think there is a long term threat of investors going direct rather than going through a distributor. As of today, less than 20% of equity transactions are done without a distributor. If Star MF can keep tying up with players such as Zerodha, who are likely to attract retail investors, I think this risk can also be mitigated.

BSE is one of the top picks in my portfolio largely riding on Star MF. At current price, you are basically getting the entire company at below net cash value, so the downside should be relatively small, whereas you have the entire growth of Star MF & potential monetization of INX & EBIX as potential upsides. All this, while the company will reduce its cash balance and pay out dividends. At this price, dividend yield essentially should be 10+%, makes it a no-brainer according to me.

There is no reason why Star MF by itself could not do about 200 mn transactions in 4-5 years time (which would be 40% of industry transactions). At price/transaction of about Rs 15 (CAMS charges Rs 20+), you are looking at revenue at Rs 300 with PAT of Rs 180 cr. Valuing this company at about 20x, 2x of the current market cap of the company can be explained by just this one product in 4-5 years time.

Plus, I actually think Star MF would be one of the beneficiaries of the whole COVID situation. Lots of people today who want to open MF accounts cant, because they need to do physical paperwork, sign, etc; not feasible in a lockdown. I would not be surprised if Star MF growth trajectory actually increases post the lockdown. Might be a second-order effect of the current situation.

8 Likes

I understand that Running BSE might be a tough task against a market leader. But I am not happy with the salary increase or the answer given with respect to the high wages and income cost given at the recent investor meet.

It is also evident with the latest shareholding pattern. Public shareholding has been increasing every quarter. Seems even fii and dii are not happy with it.

How does it make sense to buy bse making when it’s posting operational loss but has a huge share of expenditure in wages and salaries?

Also, nse is present in every segment bse is on. For a leader in equity, snatching market share will be easypeasy. Me. Chauhan mentioned in last investor meet that they cannot charge more in various segments due to competitive heat from NSE. That is a threat worth considering.

It’s a valid question in general and not an accusation or leading qsn to suggest a buy or sell.

1 Like

More number crunching on this…

Mutual Fund Industry

Mutual fund industry classified in to two different categories Debt funds and Equity funds. And in each category there is subscriptions as well redemptions. When we stay total turnover it is the sum of subscriptions and redemptions.

Since Mutual funds only gives out data in value ( not in number of transactions, only in Cr) I have used them below.

Now the total inflow to the industry [ subscription - redemption ]

Even this can be split in to two categories as I wrote above

Equity Funds inflow

Debt Funds inflow

BSE StarMF

Unlike MF industry data starMF does not give the break up of Debt and Equity data… But it provides data in terms of total value ( in Crs ) and in terms of number of transactions. First we will look at the date in terms of value in Crs ( as we analysed the MF industry ).

Now we look at the total starMF inflow by taking the [ subscription - redemption ] in Crs.

This came as a surprise… By comparing MF data BSEStarMF may be dominated by debt funds ( though there is not direct evidence only inference )

Another way to look at it is by comparing the number of subscription orders/total orders. I did this in one of the threads above.

By transaction wise BSE starMF dominated by the subscriptions orders. I could not do this analysis on MF industry as they dont give the transactions data.

Comparing MF and StarMF data

What is interesting for us is also the market share of starMF compared to total MF industry. This can be only done in value ( Crs ). StarMF has started the year with the Bang. 2020 ( please note: data only for first three months ) gaining nearly a percentage of market share. I expect more people to switch to starMF as the lockdown would make many people to switch to online transactions.

I made it as comprehensive as possible. Please do let me know anything is not clear… Now onwards we can do incremental update every month to monitor the situation.

Discl: As I wrote in the thread above my view could be biased as I hold BSE in my PF.

4 Likes

Dec 2019 quarter saw a sharp drop in OPM% from 31% YoY to 12%. Apparently the competition is stiff.

1 Like

@rajanprabu have you looked why BSE is having negative OCF and also I am not getting any details for loans (153Cr for 2019 and 126Cr for 2018) from their AR. Can you throw some light?

@nityanandparab

Would request you to scroll back to Nov. 2018 on this thread where the issue of negative OCF has been addressed in an interaction between @dd1474 and @hardikca

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Got it thanks but what about Loans? I ma not getting specific details for the same in ARs.

Could you please mention the relevant page nos. from the ARs?

I checked the balance sheets of AR2018 and AR 2019 but could not find notes related to Loans and Advances.

The profits are down and the management is happily giving each other a raise. There has been a significant raise in remunerations. More details on that soon…

2 Likes

I raised the same issue some posts above. I do not see any real catching up with NSE or MCX in commodities to warrant a raise in salaries.

Also, their answer that they need higher wages to hire personnel didn’t make sense as they just had an AGM to provide a raise to Mr. Chauhan. More than 10% votes against which is more than normal. But retail investors can’t really move the tables unless they work in unison which is tough here.

I wish for the whistleblower to intervene and change the top management which is busy paying itself especially when everybody is giving up their raises to help victims of Covid-19

3 Likes

I would like if people talk numbers in this forum before concluding anything.

What % of profits is the salary of Higher management ?

Employee cost is about 20% of revenue.

CEO salary is 6-7Cr which is 3-4% of Net profit they did in FY19. That not exorbitantly high considering the track record / stature of this guy in this industry. Don’t forget he was the main guy behind derivative product of NSE.

5 Likes
3 Likes

3Q20 - BSE did ~45 lakh/month (1.5cr for quarter) transactions on StarMF and made ~Rs. 10-12 Cr
1Q21E -Bse can do ~80 lakh/month (2.4 cr for quarter) transactions on StarMF and make ~Rs. 18 Cr. In March, they did 70 lakh transcations.

Now, the Head of StarMF - Ganesh Ram on twitter has mentioned in the last few months that they are targetting 20 lakh transaction per DAY in the short term (tweet below).

Inspite of Current situation, BSE StAR MF continue to significantly scale up MF transactions. Our short-term target is to touch 20Lakhs per day @ashishchauhan @SameerPatil2019 @moneybhaai @mohanty_swarup @NileshShah68 @cafemutual @goodfundadvisor @ArthmitraG @NeeleshMoneyDr https://t.co/06oGItMheb

— Ganesh Ram (@Ganesh_StARMF) April 13, 2020

Let assume they touch 20 lakh per day in 4QFY21, then:
Q21 - Bse can do ~20lakh*30 days=6 cr transactions/month (18 cr for quarter) transactions on StarMF and make revenue of ~Rs. 135 Cr. FROM revenue of Rs 10 cr/quarter to Rs.135 cr/quarter. Am i missing something.

1 Like

Saurabh,

I think what he meant was 20 lac transactions in one day will be a new record set in short term by BSE Star MF.

Previous record as tweeted by Mr. Ashish Chauhan on Apr 13 was 11.58 lacs.

So this will be a record not the average of the month or quarter or year. This is how I understand his tweet looking at the Star MF data.

1 Like

You have to exclude the weekends and holidays in calculating the monthly transactions. More over, number of transactions on a given day depend on many factors and one single day record should not be used to calculate the entire year revenue.

Will Franklin Templetons closing of 6 Mutual Fund Schemes have an effect on the StarMF ?

The issue is BSE owns 2000-3000 Cr of Debt mutual funds with all its cash, which is going to get hurt. This can introduce solvency risks for the exchange.

Did a quick search for Franklin templeton on the FY19 annual report (FY20 not out yet).

ON Page 170, there is just Rs.1 cr exposure to Franklin India - Fixed Maturity Plan - Series 2 - Plan A - 1224 Days -Direct - Growth Plan

Cant comment on their FY2020 investments though.

5 Likes

news share

3 Likes