BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange)- Bet on Financialization?

More number crunching on this…

Mutual Fund Industry

Mutual fund industry classified in to two different categories Debt funds and Equity funds. And in each category there is subscriptions as well redemptions. When we stay total turnover it is the sum of subscriptions and redemptions.

Since Mutual funds only gives out data in value ( not in number of transactions, only in Cr) I have used them below.

Now the total inflow to the industry [ subscription - redemption ]

Even this can be split in to two categories as I wrote above

Equity Funds inflow

Debt Funds inflow

BSE StarMF

Unlike MF industry data starMF does not give the break up of Debt and Equity data… But it provides data in terms of total value ( in Crs ) and in terms of number of transactions. First we will look at the date in terms of value in Crs ( as we analysed the MF industry ).

Now we look at the total starMF inflow by taking the [ subscription - redemption ] in Crs.

This came as a surprise… By comparing MF data BSEStarMF may be dominated by debt funds ( though there is not direct evidence only inference )

Another way to look at it is by comparing the number of subscription orders/total orders. I did this in one of the threads above.

By transaction wise BSE starMF dominated by the subscriptions orders. I could not do this analysis on MF industry as they dont give the transactions data.

Comparing MF and StarMF data

What is interesting for us is also the market share of starMF compared to total MF industry. This can be only done in value ( Crs ). StarMF has started the year with the Bang. 2020 ( please note: data only for first three months ) gaining nearly a percentage of market share. I expect more people to switch to starMF as the lockdown would make many people to switch to online transactions.

I made it as comprehensive as possible. Please do let me know anything is not clear… Now onwards we can do incremental update every month to monitor the situation.

Discl: As I wrote in the thread above my view could be biased as I hold BSE in my PF.

4 Likes