Avenue Supermart: a compounding machine?

I read that from a report. Anyway that was an appoximate figure. Since I could not find the actual source I removed the percentage.

I am not sure about the effect due to lockdown but people are now buying in bulk. So definitely not that worse.

We got this truck service in our apartment in Bangalore. They charged 3% of the total order as “convenience fees” and minimum order has to be Rs 500/-. They claimed the prices were the same discounted prices of the store. They send a list of items before coming and you have to create your own item list and hand over.

Recently one of the D Mart stores in Hyderabad was sealed for violation of social distance norms. Big Bazaars are spacious compared with D Mart stores. Can D Mart accommodate social distancing norms? Cluttered arrangement of D Mart may become a negative factor in the staggered phasing out of lock down situation where social distancing may become a norm for at least a few quarters.

1 Like

Is this a red flag?
Lots of Insider selling their shares
Average sell price is 2344, quantity 14,942,290 sold in last 3 months

Hi

Let me try and add a bit of colour to this. Whenever we get a notification about insider trades we must download the entire spreadsheet and check.

If one does that for Dmart there are 8 employees who sold in March before window closure. Most of them have stayed in Dmart for a very long period of time.

I think all of them got ESOPs in Nov 2019 (one in Dec 2019). And 7/8 I think have sold much more prior to 2020 by almost 2x prior to 2020. Some are pledging their shares which is common.

In light of this new information the red flag should come down.

Also I like to check on linkedin who these guys are just to get a sense. This has been very helpful for me personally in the RBL <> CCD fiasco.

Rgds.

Disc: my views are biased as I am invested in dmart

7 Likes

Please some more lights and brief about how linkedin help in the RBL-CCD matter.
Thanx

Hi,

Anyone has any idea how Reliance FB deal for integrating local Kirana stores in Jio Mart WhatsApp going to impact for D-Mart?

I don’t think this FB-Jio deals will impact anything significantly the business of DMart. This deals offers competition nothing more than Amazon.

Corona scenario does provide an unique opportunity to JioMart, if they are successful in delivering the product at home.
D-Mart doesn’t seems to have larger grip in the home delivery segment, as it takes bulk order!

but then it has it’s own challenges of scaling up, as the onboarding process for kiranas aren’t going to be an easy process.

How I see the equilibrium is that eventually people will use Jio for their small intra day need & the weekly purchase would be done offline on physical stores (And JioMart can scale up to decrease the delivery time upto a large extends, it’s depends on how much stores in your locality are onboarded & what service Jio provide for delivery).

The retail industry is pretty large enough to accommodate multiple players. There will still be a majority of player shopping offline.

1 Like

One of the things I am worried about DMart as a business is their “Cash from Financing Activity”. It is constantly positive with 2018 being an exception.

Are DMart stores under standalone shop category or Mall Category ? Can the 50% closed store reopen? Can they start of selling Non Essential good items ?

Banks, which have a significant exposure to both Future Retail (FRL) and its promoters, are nudging the company to go for an all-stock merger with an existing retail player. Banks have, therefore, approached all big players, including Reliance Retail, to see whether they are interested in acquiring the company.
The company may not get a good valuation due to the falling financial metrics. It is also short in cash of around Rs 200 crore (as of December 2019).

https://www.business-standard.com/article/companies/banks-scout-buyers-for-future-retail-stake-after-biyani-s-loan-default-120050501220_1.html

I guess only Reliance Retail can afford to go for a merger under such circumstances.

Amazon had acquired a 49% stake in Future Coupons, which holds about 7.3% in Future Retail through convertible warrants, the company that holds Biyani’s BigBazaar retail chain.

1 Like

Hi

Following are the credit charges institution wise currently outstanding for Future Retail. Future Coupons doesn’t have any debt outstanding.

Rgds

3 Likes

https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/amazon-said-to-weigh-direct-investment-in-india-s-future-retail

2 Likes

Sorry for the late reply. Some folks above have already shared the source below.

Hi ,
Does anyone know when Avenue will come out of trade to trade segment?

Thanks and Regards,
Shweta.

I have few questions: -
Can you help me understand firstly why Avenue Supermarket is in Trade to Trade segment?
How is it different from normal trading?

Moreover, why it’s important for a stock to be part of F&O to be part of NIFTY?

Thanks in advance,