Avenue Supermart: a compounding machine?

I did attend the AGM yesterday, however did not take down notes. I reached a few minutes late and could only catch the end of the Chairman Ramesh Damani’s speech. They calmly took all the questions and praise and Mr. Noronha answered all together. The general takeaway from the Q&A was that:

• Business is good and there is scale.
  • Focus is on Dmart and Dmart ready. Not looking into new segments like jewelry or other formats.
  • They have a good team which understands the business. They study the areas on various parameters before putting up a store. (South Mumbai is not feasible for Dmart store. They have started with Dmart ready there.)
  • No forward looking statements.
  • The different parameters like revenue per sq ft are a result and not something that is pursued. Happy with the performance.
    So I would say no surprises there.
22 Likes

DMart AGM Notes by Bharat Sahni

1. Management is clear with goal setting & strategy to achieve it.
    Goal is to expand 1st where they have a significant presence, understanding of the customer pulse & scale the business on hub & spoke model in that geography rather than having presence pan India in the near future.
    Execution methodology is which clearly differntiates them from others is that they wanted to do what they excel at & with a great success rate rather than trying multiple things parallel with caveats in execution with totally focussing on no or minimal margin of error.

2. Not focussing currently on Private level (Primera) scalability in the near future.

3. Started Pilot etailing with DMart Ready Store concept with small sample size in Mumbai only & intention here is to gauge the feasibility & sustainability to enhance customer acquisition without having impact on margins but not focussing much currently on this. Have booked loss of 48 Cr this year in etailing.

4. Our moat is our flawless execution with gaining perfection in whatever we do rather than trying multiple things in parallel. We totally focus on gauging customer pulse & consumption behaviour based in the demographics. Hence store in Mumbai & Hyderabad will have different product mix based on the consumer taste, liking & lifestyle.

5. Current ratio of owned Vs leased stores is 80:20 with primary focus on self owned stories & be optimal in resource utilization & ensure improved efficiencies.

6. No plan for dividends as we are in high growth phase with proper laid down expansion strategy & prefer to reinvest profits in expansion with controlled debt appetite to grow.

7. Quality & Customer Satisfaction & impart outing experience to nuclear & working :couple: or families is primary focus & generate a brand in minds of customers.

8. Opportunity Size is too huge that everybody can coexist but survival of the fittest theory will imply in long run with consistent & sustainable growth.

9. Break-even of a new store varies ranging from. 6 Months to even 5 years but investment is made for new stores considering the long term view. Even the longer gestation periods ensure consistent profitability in longer run.

10. No acceptance of Sodexo or similar co-branded PLCC as they charge nearly 4% & leaves a huge dent on our margins. So no interest in more customer acquisition sacrificing margins. Customer Satisfaction with deep understanding of customer behavior, macros such as Per Capita GDP, Population mix, demographics ensure customer loyalty & new customers penetration further.

11. No intention to target affluent customers with high profile DMart stores.

12. Not interested to mark presence in areas where Real estate price is sky rocketing & customer conversion ratio is not at our. Example is South Mumbai

Regards
Bharat

34 Likes

Are we confusing cause with effect here? Dividend policy et al is outcome of growth returnz and not other way around. Please appreciate a correlation is not same as leading indicator.

Gary, it seems you don’t understand it properly. It is nothing about cause and effect here , topic is about how to find incremental ROE for a dividend paying company . calculating incremental ROE for a capex led (0 dividend provider) growth is bit different from dividend paying company .
Please check DDM over Internet and study ,it will help you to understand. Also there are many books are written about it .

1 Like

Hi @morigh82 - I understand DDM. The point I made is not on valuations but cause versus effect. Growth is function of market opportunity and execution against well laid strategy…rest are either lagging indicators or at best enablers.

Increased store timings in DMart stores in Thane

6 Likes

The store timing also increased in pune, i used Kalewadi dmart at 10.30 PM and at this time it took 20 mins for billing by card.

1 Like

Saw first time DMART Ready is giving 5% cash back offer in Credit Cards . DMART Low price and extra 5% cash back is lucrative but will there be any pressure on Gross margin ?

Hi

Saw first time DMART Ready is giving 5% cash back offer in Credit Cards . DMART Low price and extra 5% cash back is lucrative but will there be any pressure on Gross margin ?

Most of the times when there is a card (credit/debit/prepaid) offer it is usually funded by the issuing bank in this case HDFC. The cashback if any will be credited to against the customer’s debit/credit card or appropriate discount given.

Banks run these offers to increase spends or increase activation and even get new acquisitions.

So I don’t think this will hit Dmart’s margin in anyway.

Regards
Deepak

9 Likes

As @deevee mentioned, it is likely to be funded by HDFC Bank. Other point to be noted is since this is online or store pick up sale, the cost tend to be lower than for the same amount sold in the store. Further this is a great way of increasing visibility and sales through this channel.

1 Like

Trend in store openings in various geographies

Dmart is present in 10 locations in India ( have clubbed AP & Telangana, MP & Chattisgarh ). Of these 10 locations , 50% or 5 are ones where they have recently entered <=2 years ago.

These 5 currently form ~9% of total store count ( 13/155). Dmart has a good record of scaling once a cluster is stablized e.g Telangana/AP where it has grown rapidly . One can expect similar something in these 5 locations.

Somewhat of a concern is the low per capita income in some of these locations - much lower than the locations in which mature stores are present. However most locations are well above the India average.

Location 2002-2003 2011-12 2012-2013 2013-2014 2014-2015 2015-2016 2016-2017 2017-2018 Per Capita Income (in Rs , source - wikipedia )
Mah 1 34 40 46 50 58 60 62 225892
Guj . 14 14 17 22 26 29 30 214285
Karnataka . 3 3 5 5 6 11 12 206451
Tel & AP . 4 5 7 10 16 20 29 182333 (Telangana), 137000 (AP)
NCR . . . . . . 1 1 365882 (Delhi), 214509 (Haryana)
Raj . . . . . . 3 5 101353
Daman . . . . . . 1 1 .
MP + Chattisgarh . . . . 2 4 5 9 106810.5
TN . . . . . . 1 3 184210
Punjab . . . . . . . 3 151624
All 1 55 62 75 89 110 131 155 112432 ( India )

On a different note, the low per capita income also indicates that sometimes investors in B2C businesses may overlook the fact that opportunity sizes should be tied to per capita income. Even in more prosperous states like Maharashtra we have a per month income of 20-22k, of which 50% is spent in private consumption - which matches with the bill cut data provided by Dmart.

Best
Bheeshma

12 Likes

@bheeshma

Wouldn’t consumers hailing from low per capita income areas be more likely to look for value than consumers from high per capita income?

V-Mart typically operates in low per capita regions of UP, Bihar and NE states but is doing a great job in growing business

6 Likes

Hi @Darkwanderer79

Yes you are right, customers from low per capita regions are likely to be even more price conscious and value seeking but since they will have a lower wallet size there may be unique challenges on volume, pricing and margin fronts.

Vmart has done well retailing fashion for budget conscious individuals. Fashion retailing has high gross margins and high expense ratios. Dmarts model is based on low expense ratios and low gross margins, so both are fundamentally very different ways of doing business, though both yield the same net margins roughly.

The broader point is that economic conditions are not same in different regions of india and as one moves down to the bottom of the pyramid scaling becomes incrementally difficult as the size of wallets become thinner and thinner.

I may be wrong here but i assume that as a business if you are trying to grow in low per capita regions with a high expense structure, you may run into trouble as the per capita limit will not allow you to grow topline as fast as you wish and the high expense structure will strain your cash flows. So from that angle, dmart seems to be well structured to tackle that challenge.

12 Likes

One thing which has not been discussed is the ability of this stock to hold up, even during major correction. This is second correction this year where, it has stood the ground or even gained against the market correction. It is acting like a defensive stock.

6 Likes

1 Like

The life is not easy for retail chains

1 Like

Hi

Nice article in The Ken today on Dmart. Covers a lot of points which @bheeshma and others have said on this thread.

With Amazon entering offline retailing in India it will become even more competitive. I wonder what disruption would come next especially in offline delivery/purchase experience.

Rgds

1 Like

DMART ranked 27th in TOP 75 Indian Brands.
In today’s market The so called poster boy of over valuation /mad valuation did not corrected even -1% . The message is clear from Mr. Market what general public think about valuation ,he is not agree with that .He is more smart and thinks other way.

3 Likes

Very correctly observed that this stock hardly ever corrects. It is surprising that only 3 retailing brands figure in this list, and none of them are owned by Kishore Biyani, the supposedly pioneer of Indian big retail. In this list, Tanishq is a specialized retailer, and Flipkart has only online presence. This speaks volumes about the way DMART conducts business and creates mindshare. I feel I am being ripped off whenever I visit either Big Bazaar or More or Vishal these days on my commute to work. I gravitate towards DMART to check out what offer might be there for the same stuff and end up saving big on MRP and get the best offer compared to others. No other company has changed my shopping habits as much as this company has.

This stock will be expensive and will always be expensive even if we have a Lehman-like crisis. Even at 50% discount to its current price, this stock won’t be called a value proposition by traditional yardsticks of value. Hence, I think Mr. Market is valuing quality based on intangibles like business model, future scalability and migration of capital via expansion, brand recall, and quality of management.

DISC: Invested since IPO,

7 Likes