Avenue Supermart: a compounding machine?

Yes, all of those things still remain the same, except the long-term return on the indices is about 13% now. The terminal value still forms a large part of the total Value, but the Terminal Value depends a lot on the assumptions you make for the High Growth period, so it’s not as bad as you think. Prof. Damodaran wrote a very informative post addressing this question:

Yes, even Prof. Bakshi uses this kind of a Valuation model, made popular by none other than Mr. Charlie Munger, in his famous 1966 talk Practical Thought on Practical Thought (He values Coco-Cola):

http://csinvesting.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Mungers-analysis-to-build-a-Trillion-Dollar-Business-from-Scratch.pdf

Prof. Bakshi himself did it for Relaxo:

However, nobody I know has explained the ‘exit multiple’ using fundamentals (So it appears to be a random number picked out of nowhere, when in fact it is not). Prof. Bakshi touches upon this in his Relaxo Lecture:

So, this is what I have tried to explained here:

You can follow my thread Numbers and Narratives to know what changes I made to the original Valuation of KRBL (In short, someone pointed out a few silly mistakes I had made and I changed them). I have not updated the excel otherwise. You can view it here, which would show that KRBL is slightly overvalued. I don’t think the illegal trading row has any bearing on the fundamentals of KRBL in the long term, but of course, the trust of the promoters has gone for a toss (Which is obviously a very tricky thing to assess, so much so that even investors like Pabrai weren’t able to do it properly).

A note on my Valuations is that, since my public Valuations tend to be viewed by many people, it would be illogical to impose my risk-aversion on the model. Personally, I always use a 15% Discounting Rate and a 30% Mos (Whereas in the KRBL exercise, I used a 9.41% CAPM-based Discounting Rate and a 5% MoS).

You can understand how this would affect my public Valuations Vs my Valuations for personal use. However, I never fail to post a ‘range of Values’, to allow people to decided the Value for themselves personally. I do this based on a Monte-Carlo simulation. I recently Valued HDFC AMC at Rs. 1011. But my ‘range of Values’ showed this:

I hope this explanation helped.

3 Likes