Arihant Capital Markets

The latest results of Arihant and other Companies in the Capital Markets Sector clearly show at least an intermediate cyclical downturn for this sector.

Apart from the sector-wide downturn, there are certain Company specific factors that have significantly reduced the attractiveness of Arihant compared to 3 years back when this thread was started.

The valuations (P/B, D/Y, etc) are now more than 3 times the valuations back then.

The Company has diversified into Residential Real Estate and financed the same by debt. Hence, it’s D/E has now touched almost 1, from being a zero debt Company 3 years back. Any further cyclical deterioration in profits will have a multiplier effect due to fixed interest payment obligations. This has also resulted in it increasingly becoming a play on Capital Markets + Real Estate from being a pure Capital Markets play 3 years back.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I had sold a portion of my holdings a few months back, primarily to rebalance my portfolio. The remaining holdings have been sold recently after the Q4 results.

Overall, this investment has provided me about 430% return in less than 3 years when the overall market has given barely 50% return.

I will continue to track this Company and this Sector for any future investment opportunities and might invest again in future if the risk-return tradeoff improves significantly.

5 Likes