A Brief summary of the Micro/Small/Midcap Carnage

Excellent idea @Yogesh_s. Two contributions I have in the midcap space which I think are worth investing are as under, they have their own threads so shall stick to brief intro.

a) Himatsingka Seide - India’s largest silk fabrics exporter and leading exporter of home textiles. Differentiation is that a lot of the home textiles are sold in the US of A under brands they have licensed such as Calvin Klein, Tommy Hilfiger, Babbara Berry etc. In Europe they sell under a Italian brand called Bellora. Silk is a very profitable but smaller business with limited growth prospects.

Pros - It is integrated from yarn stage to retail and it is at the high end of the market, it will long term enjoy much better margins than say a Welspun or Trident. At the fag end of a major capex cycle in home textiles so RoE, ROCE should show good improvement next 2 years. Down 50% from 52 week high and available at trailing PE of 14.

Cons - None that I know

b) J Kumar infra

Pros - Huge order book (4x revenue), leading contractor in Metro rail which should see continuous traction owing to all major cities getting metros. More or less debt free, available cheap, 15x trailing earnings with much higher visible profit growth.

Cons - Management!! they seem to be getting into all sorts of controversies ranging from ludicrous (SEBI wrongly classified it as a shell company a year ago) to more serious (a local Mumbai road project given to them was found substandard 2 years ago - project was in turn outsourced by JKIL and they blame sub vendor - in any case they are blacklisted by BMC for some time. In other projects their track record is good and order flow is strong post this incident also.

Disc - hold both

3 Likes

@hitesh2710 sir,

Technically speaking, sensex now clearly showing whats under the skin…
Its forming a ending diagonal with this upmove …
Similarly nasdaq is also in a ending diagonal in the extended fifth, so is djia…
The artery has not been transected yet imo…

Bitcoin had the same formation from 17000 to 19000usd before it deflated to 6000$…

Midcaps on the otherhand has less surprises i guess from the current level…

2 Likes

This is market rumour I heard. Just wanted to float if someone else also knows this. Admin - feel free to delete if this is not part of the forum.

Supposedly, there are PMS funds which are under pressure and any further erosion may lead to pull-out of funds. Operators knowing this are creating further pressure on Mid-caps / small-caps and hence the total free fall and lack of buying.

So just curios, is there any database to know total AUM in PMS funds just to get a sense how much can erode or what is the YTD performance of such funds. Some big ones we know from economictimes articles, but there are many smaller ones also.

Some companies that seem worth investigating at current juncture:

MAS Financial Services. Very conservative management as can be seen from AR, concalls, presentation. And inspite of all that they have managed to grow their aum from 2 crores to 4000 crores plus over the past 20 or so years. And decent asset quality as well. And few instances of dilution.

Multibase seems interesting. Its a subsidiary of Dow Chemicals. Last few years growth has been very good and sales have been growing with improving margins. Net profits have grown at a clip of 35-40% CAGR over past few years. I think improving margins have come about with higher percentage of speciality products as compared to commodity products. Opportunity size for the company’s products viz. thermoelastomeres seem to be good with substitution of traditional products like rubber and plastics with thermoelastomeres. Good back up in terms of new products and R&D from parent should see the company continue to grow. At PE of around 38-39 based on cmp of 600 and EPS of 15.5 for fy 18 seems fairly priced/expensive. But looking at opportunity size and market cap of 770 crores for an MNC company it looks linteresting.

TCI Ltd has been posting decent numbers since past few quarters and management seems confident of growing profitably going forward as well. One of the few players in logistics space which has shown consistent numbers.

disc: invested in all the above and adding.

29 Likes

@hitesh2710
TCI is looking really interesting on daily charts.
Ascending triangle formed and breakout if it manages to close above 295-297zone.
Will definitely keep an eye here atleast from a trading perspective.
Fundamentaly have to still look at it.

1 Like

Chances of cash are looking to be true being MNC, however to me valuation is lookin expensive and free cash flow is doubtfull.

‘Some Mid- & Small-caps are Looking Attractive’

Investors can earn 12-13% returns from equities over the next three years. Returns from mid-caps could be higher, though risk and volatility will also remain elevated, said Mahesh Patil, co-chief investment office, (equities), Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund. In an interview with Prashant Mahesh, Patil said investors could build their mid-cap portfolio over the next six months. Edited excerpts:

The Sensex has hit an all-time high? How are valuations looking?

The PE multiple for the market one-year forward is at fair valuation, but on a trailing one-year basis it is still expensive. However, one must note that the composition of the index itself has changed. The weightage of non-cyclical sectors has increased from 40% to 60%, and these stocks command a higher PE multiple. A couple of IT stocks, private sector banks and a large conglomerate have accounted for twothirds of the Nifty returns over the last one year. These valuations factor in upsides to a large extent. We don’t expect a rerating to happen. High-quality stocks with good return on equity (RoE), good management have become expensive, and some of the other cyclical sectors where valuations have come down. In mid- and small-cap sectors, stock valuations have come down sharply. Overall growth and earnings are improving. Post the correction, while quality trades at a premium, some mid- and small-cap stock valuations are at a level, where they are reasonable and looking attractive in a few cases.

Which parts of the market are you overweight on and what kind of returns can investors expect?

We are overweight on autos, private banks, NBFCs, consumer discretionary, media, metals and infra. You can expect 12-13% returns from equities over the next three years. However given that mid-caps have corrected, the returns from that space could be higher. Earnings growth could be much better in mid-caps, though the risk and volatility there will be much higher. They can underperform in the near term. Investors could build a midcap portfolio over the next six months.

While stocks in the IT space have run up sharply, pharma is yet to catch up. How do you play these defensive sectors?

In the technology space, the PE multiples have gone up. The growth trajectory has improved and the outlook on spends is looking better. Digital part of business is showing good growth. Earnings growth won’t come back to 15% but will settle at around 10%. Earnings growth will also be higher due to rupee depreciation. However after the recent run up and re-rating, stocks returns will not be great. In a environment where there is worry about return, this will be defensive. Many companies in the space are doing buybacks, which will be supportive. All in all it should be a good defensive play and will offer protection on downside.

The golden period of Indian pharma is over. They saw strong growth in generics space, they grew at 25-30%, it is negative now but will stabilise at 12-14%. In US markets, there is pressure on pricing, they are trying to control cost. What is happening is that pressure is easing and there is some relief, in absence of large tailwind it will be more company specific play. Return on capital employed (RoCE) of pharma sector which was 30% has come down to 10%, and it will go to 15%. So there is no tailwind to be bullish on the sector in the near term.

The stress in PSU banks continues. What is your take on the subject?

Gross NPAs of banks is around ₹9 lakh crores while the total stress in system is around ₹13 lakh crore. There is some stress in thermal power plants which will be ₹1.5 lakh crore, will be recognised in next couple of years. We don’t see further worsening than that. As growth picks up, stress will come down.

Pressure on balance sheets of PSU banks and corporate banks will continue for the next one year or so because of higher provisioning. Hence ability to lend and will be a challenge. Lot of this will have to be led by capital markets and bond markets. Private banks and NBFCs will continue to grow and take a larger market share.

How is the economy looking. Are there improvements visible on the ground?

Macros have deteriorated, but the bottomup story is looking better. High frequency indicators across consumption, investment side, services, etc there are a lot of green indicators compared to what it was six months back. Impact of GST and demonetisation is behind us, with global growth strong we have seen a uptick of numbers.

Auto sales numbers, airline traffic growth, commercial vehicles, fuel consumption, all are seeing a growth. We met a lot of companies in last couple of months across sectors and there is lot of confidence and companies are looking at positive picture in growth in FY19. Micro bottom-up story will drive the markets.

When do you think the capex cycle will revive?

On the capex side, while consumption is picking up, investment pick up will also happen as capacity utilisation have started moving up and they are 73% as of March 2018. This capacity utilisation will inch up to 80%, looking at the current growth rate. When it reaches this level, capex should happen. Propensity of corporates to invest is better as their balance sheets have improved and we have seen free cash flow generation happen over the last two years.

If growth picks up and sustains, business confidence will improve and we should see corporate capex happening in a year’s time. There have been some green shoots in sectors like steel, cement in oil and gas, where already capex plans have been announced. So that will provide the leg for GDP growth to sustain and continue to remain high at around 7.5-8%, in the coming year.

Index investors are between Excitement and Euphoria while small/mid cap investors are between Denial and Fear. Have never seen such divergence in last 15 years. :grinning:

18 Likes

technically the last uptrend looks like B wave that has already retraced to 38.2% leve and another C leg down…

https://www.tradingview.com/x/3he9lDbF/

Moneylife wrote covered Multibase some time back. https://www.moneylife.in/article/multibase-india-what-a-moat-looks-like/54503.html

Very nice pictorization of the investor sentiment cycle, but the graph paints a very scary picture for both the large caps as well as the small/mid caps, as per current market scenario.

It is scary for the large caps investor, as any time it can reach the Euphoria state and then make a very steep fall. It is scary for the small/mid cap investor, as we are not even half-way through the correction phase yet (assuming, it is currently between Denial and Fear)

Euphoria state for the small caps was around mid of Jan-18. Subsequently, the small cap index corrected 27%. However, as per this graph, in order to reach the Anger state, it has to correct at least 40% more.

1 Like

Can u paste the article since this link goes to paid content.

Moneylife is a paid subscription. I think its against the rule of the forum to paste paid content here. However if you are moneylife subscriber, you can access the information.

1 Like

ok…noted. Thanks for informing.

Can there be a summary of what is written in the article be published here ?? Just a query.

the profits are expected further. However, the valuation is expensive

1 Like

@phreakv6 In addition to the reasons you have mentioned there is one more reason I want to point out and that is exit of FPIs (small ones with hot money) due to FED rate hikes and INR depreciation. INR weakness is in turn fueled further by FPI exit. Other big seller can be LIC. It sold 1.5Cr shares in ACL and Govt sold its entire stake of 25L (approx) shares. My point/ hope is that all the three sellers have their own compulsions to sell that are not dependent on the asset they are selling.
PCJ also had close to 30% FPI holding and the latest one is not disclosed. That is main reason I believe you are right to put it at the top of fraud list second only to Vakrangee. I have a small exposure to PCJ and the covered calls written at 135% annualised IV did not cover the fall :frowning: I understand the risk on the Calls is covered and not the underlying, still it is a shock!!! You saved me from Suzlon carnage but then I got lured by the huge IV in PCJ. Made profits last month and of course this month on calls written but seems like I overstayed my welcome. regards,

Smallcap index has already fallen around 27% and it was supposed to stop at around 25%. :grinning: During January 2013, it stopped at around 30%, so keeping that in reference, a touch to 6500 seems possible.

1 Like

Fundamentally, given that the entire 2017 rally was fluff (no earnings, just liquidity), if earnings do not show up in Q1, no reason for the index not to come down to 5500-6000 levels. + you have oil price rising which will most likely impact EBITDA margins with input costs going up.

I have been tracking Kajaria, but even after all the correction, at Rs. 16 EPS it is trading at 25PE. It was at 50PE before the correction! So think correction some more time to go, unless liquidity turns on.

1 Like

More like between fear and capitulation.

3 Likes