Vidhi Specialty Food Ingredients (Formerly ‘Vidhi Dyestuffs Manufacturing’)

Taking a step back from recent demands, if we look at the bigger picture,
In 2005 they had about 1.5% market share, now they have around 10% market share, so I don’t expect the sales to grow at same rate, however I believe the bottomline can be maintained it being the only synthetic dye manufacturer in a low cost country.
Growing Market share to 20% by 2020 is achievable, if they can keep margin to 20% and assuming debt remains same, ROCE comes around 24% and the leverage they have from debt ROE comes around 33% which means it can still be 3-bagger by 2020, if there is no futher PE expansition or conraction.I dont believe PE can expand any further last 4 years it has alrady expanded from 4x-5x to 18x-20x now. However if there is slight PE contaction to 10x-12x say it will still be a 2-bagger by 2020.

Disc: holding small quantity

1 Like

One more thing i want to share that as per the company announcement sometimes in last Financial Year company has stopped trading but in the latest AR16 they have mentioned high trading revenue then last year and one can also see that the manufacturing has gone down in terms of revenue.

18 Revenue from Operations

• Revenue from Manufacturing Activities of food colors FY15-16 FY14-15 (In Lacs)
    Export Sales 10,564.03 11,327.61
    Local Sales 469.77 669.52
    ----------- -------------
    11,033.80 11,997.13
    Less: Excise Duty 418.36 394.56
    ---------------------- -------------------
    (A) 10,615.44 11,602.57

• Revenue from Trading Activities of chemicals
    Local Sales 8,521.55 7,363.06

Less: Excise Duty 1,095.26 665.42
-------------------- ---------------------
(B) 7,426.29 6,697.64
----------------------- ----------------------
(A + B) 18,041.73 18,300.21

This shows that the company is not on right path to achieve what ever they are targeting, may be due to bad economic of world.

But it is cause of concern for Vidhi investor and it is to be answered by the management. One thing is positive that the receivable have come down.

Let see what happens in future.

I may be wrong in interpretation but keen to learn my mistake. Please post if there is something wrong.

Disc: Have some small quatity.

I attended Vidhi AGM and here are the few points discussed during AGM

• There was volume growth of 7% in sales in FY 16. They sold around 2450 Tons in FY 16. However, topline is lower due to decrease in realizations due to its linkage with oil
  • Major RM for the company are crude derivatives such as napthelene and benzene
  • Company has decided to build its presence in domestic food color market- which is around 2500 tons. They have hired a marketing professional having experience in the industry to spearhead the domestic marketing efforts. They have started operationalizing this initiative just one month back
  • They see enough opportunities in the synthetic color market and have established core competence in the segment. Hence, in medium term, they want to focus on the same and are not considering entering into natural food color market
  • According to mgmt, Both Sensient and Emerald (Top 2 players in market) are losing market share while Roha and Vidhi are gaining market share
  • Trading actvities will continue to remain - as management sees it as complimentary due to two reasons
    1. it helps them procure RM in larger quantity- a part of which is utilized for manufacturing while the remaining quantity is traded
    2. It provides them as hedge against the price fluctuations in RM - as they may divert the trading volume for manufacturing if the price of the RM increases sharply
  • Management claimed the utilization of 80%- on capacity of 4200 tons- though numbers don’t add up to 80% and suggest lower capacity utilization. Management however mentioned that a part of new capacity addition is under stablization
  • They have adopted a distributor led marketing model- they appoint one or two distributor in each country and sell it to distributor which in turn will serve the end users
  • There was impact on business in FY 16 due to non availability of foreign exchange/sharp forex movement - especially in many Latin American countries. A large MNC food company is ready with order in Venezuela, however is not able to place order due to non availability of Forex
  • GST will positively impact company- especially for domestic business- as the competitive intensity from
    unorganized player will reduce
  • Import from China is not a threat at all. In fact, 4 companies (Sensient, Emerald, Vidhi, Roha) command most of the market share and China is a lucrative market for export
  • Top 10 customers- are located mostly in developed markets
  • When we raised the point about insufficient information available about the business and need to improve communication- management promised that they will come out with detailed investment communication periodically- highlighting key developments/details of the business

My personal take from AGM

• they seem to be operating in oligopoly market with decent prospect for growth. However, this business by no way will have pricing power.
  • Growth will be largely driven by taking away market share- and not due to inherent growth in the industry
  • Crude oil and Forex remain key variable in the business
  • I felt that the organization preparedness to take the business to next level of growth was missing - especially in terms of coherent marketing/business development initiative
  • Lastly, I was not able to buy the rationale for continuing the low margin trading business and tie up the capital earning mediocre return when there seem to be good prospect for growth in mainstream business.
17 Likes

If we think from the owners perspective there is no reason from his side to close the trading business. The business is almost completely funded by banks through WC limits (WC usually can be 70-80% of inventory+ debtors). This leverage ensures that even though the business is low margin the returns on promoter equity is quite decent.
The quarter numbers often miss this aspect as they represent the debt outstanding at that point in time which can be misleading.

3 Likes

The latest results seem quite decent.
Can anybody throw more light on the reasons for the good quarter & is this sustainable in the coming quarters ?
Has management given more clarity on the same ?

any idea what’s cooking here. Technically stock has confirmed its breakout of its medium term consolidation and has started its long term upmove again. The stock is looking too strong to ignore for me. Fundamentally, anything that anyone is aware of, please share. I was hoping for something to come from news angle.

What you have taken into consideration to calculate Manufacturing cost?

An interesting act by Moneycontrol.

1 Like

https://www.investing-notes.com/vidhi-specialty-food-ingredients-ltd-nse-vidhiing-bse-531717-nse-dynpro/

An analyst’s take on Vidhi and Dynemic

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

I have been tracking this company for a while now and below are some of my observations;

Market Cap : 346 Cr
PBT in cr (2015-19) : 19 , 23 , 24 , 24 , 41 = 2.15x
Book Value in cr (2015-19) : 45.22 , 55.12 , 66.1 , 79.96 , 101 = 2.2x
Fixed Assets have grown from 25 crs to 30 crs (Current capacity as per annual report is 3600 MT)
No Equity dilution for last 5 years
Debt to Equity have come down from 1.02 to 0.41
Debtors Days (2015 - 19) : 91 , 77 , 116 , 101 , 99
OPM (2015 - 19) : 14% 16% 15% 15% 20%
Trade Receivables from 2105 - 19 as % of Total Assets have hovered around 35%
WC as % of sales (2015 - 19 ) : 11.3% , 16% , 21% , 25% , 33%
TR as % of sales (2015 - 19 ) : 24% , 21% , 31% , 27% , 27%
PAT for last 10 years : 110 crs
CFO for last 10 years : 87 crs

1. What made me attracted towards this company is its pre-tax earnings on the fixed assets (41 crs on fixed assets of 30 crs)
  2. The above threads from 2015 have mentioned management claiming revenues of 500 Crs , which are nowhere to be seen/achievable in Fy 20. The OPM did touch the target of 20 % due to the reduction in trading activities.
  3. Book Value has grown at a higher multiple than the PBT and attraction comes only with hope from margin improvements.
  4. What are the effects of the reduction in trading activities?
  5. What if their customers started asking for natural colors as well? A situation where everyone is asking for a product and ultimately the prices start going down. Is the “expensiveness” the only factor which stops customers to opt for natural colors?
  6. The management has not provided any specific detail of capacity expansion in AR 2019? Is it debt-funded? How much from internal accruals? Will the trading activity will increase after this capacity expansion ?
  7. Managing Director and Joint MD combined remuneration constitute almost 51% of the total employee benefits expense. Wife of MD is getting 45 Lakhs as a commission, for a very silly reason!
  8. How much Sensient will pay fo Vidhi ? or Roha will pay (that’s extreme isn’t)
  9. What’s the big picture here, revenues of 500 - 700 crs (In next 2-3 years ?) What’s after that, capacity expansion? Domestic sale % increased from 3% to 6%, is there any clue?
  10. If I buy this whole business in 390 Crs , a business that is generating pre-tax earnings of 41 crs on fixed assets of 30 crs with high OPM margins of 20%+. A business with high uncertainty in terms of customer preference. A business that can yield 25-35 crs as CFO but with long WC cycle and with WC as % of sales getting increased y-o-y. A business where the promoter remuneration increased 46% against increase in sales of 7% (increase in PBT by 70% is based on the decision to reduce trading business, not from higher realization)

I am just trying to learn more here, need guidance from eminent VP members like @desaidhwanil

3 Likes

My take on your 10th point WC may have changed due to sale of manufactured products which need raw material as compared to earlier( as it had trading business also).
This Food color business is sticky one as it is fraction of total cost but at the same time quality cant be compromised so many certification and long time for validation is required to gain new customer for any player. So there is some certainty about customers.
There was some hype of getting more of natural food colour business but nothing much to cheer about till now.
KMP remuneration was one point i did not like so sold my holdings long ago. This can also be read like when business is good and profits are growing managers should be rewarded but to what extent at whose cost is debatable.

Disc: No Holding

2 Likes

Vidhi’s claim of being “the 3rd largest facility of synthetic food grade dyes globally” makes for a tempting investment thesis. Company has shown consistent sales growth, profit growth, improving margins, capacity additions and rising market share. All the “numbers” look good.

I had a tracking position for some time in this and also attended the AGM.

My impression is that this is a typical small cap company that is all but a proprietary business. Closer scrutiny of the Annual Reports threw out quite a few “irritants”. For example,

• Two directors Vijay Atre & Praful Shah are 93 & 84 years old respectively.
  • There is a back to back transaction of taking a loan from Baja Allianz Insurance Company and buying 10 insurance policies from the same company.
  • Some debtors are more than 365 days past due but still provision is made only for 10% of the amount.
  • A Related Party (Trident Colours and Chemicals) is in similar line of business.
  • There are 3 adverse remarks in secretarial audit - delay in uploading Form IEPF, delay in filing Form CHG-4 and renewal of FSSAI license.

These may not be serious individually, but all of them put together leave a bad taste in mouth .

Last year, promoter remuneration increased by a whopping 40%. They have now passed a resolution to allow remuneration in excess of 5% of the Net Profits of the company.

AGM:

At the AGM, one of the shareholders raised an objection to Promoter Remuneration, but the management did not even bother to reply or justify the hike. In his speech, this shareholder also said that he had visited the registered office of the company and wanted to see the register for Related Party Transactions. But it was not shown to him and he was ill-treated (Under Companies Act, the Related Party Transaction register should be open for inspection by any shareholder).

On the positive side,company said 20% margin is sustainable in the long run. Sales in U.S. are growing and margins there are better.

On capacity expansion , capacity will be increased by 4,200 MTPA in two phases of 50-50 each. Arjun Foods which was acquired has 4.5 acres land which will be used for expansion. Capex for this will be Rs.65 crore which will be funded mostly through internal accruals. The new capex will give an Asset Turnover of 1:6. The project can go on stream in 12 months after getting environmental clearance. Demand is not a problem.

At the time of AGM, company was waiting for environmental clearance from Maharashtra Government. I am not sure if it has come through by now, but the management told me they will intimate the stock exchanges when the clearance comes through.

Conclusion:

Despite all this, my impression is that the promoters lack the professionalism and vision to make it big. Besides, the size of the opportunity is too small for institutional investors to show any interest in the stock in its present form. In fact, small market size is the reason why Vidhi is no.3 in the world - no Chinese or other large players are interested in the business. There is no indication that Sensient is interested in buying the company, and just hoping for it cannot form an investment thesis.

On plans to enter natural colours, Mr. Mihir Manek said there are no such plans on the cards. I asked him why, and he said this (synthetic colours) itself is a large market waiting to be tapped.

I think stocks like these will move in line with the increase in their capacity and earnings, and the general market mood towards small caps. But I don’t see a future Vinati Organics here. More importantly, I do not get the comfort to take a large position due to promoter quality. And keeping a small position doesn’t make sense as the portfolio becomes needlessly bloated.

Company passed my quantitative filters but failed at qualitative ones. I have exited completely and no longer track it, but I thought I will write this since some of you have shown interest. I may be wrong, so please do your own due diligence.

24 Likes

They have deployed 59.29 crs (FA +CA - CL) to produce additional post tax earnings of 16 crs and sales of additional 28.12 crs over the last 5 years (2014-19) and the recent higher margins are solely responsible for the recent high ROIC of 2019 (5 year avg ROIIC is 28…07).
Total pre tax earnings over these 5 years equal to 130 crs (on a capital invested of only 59.29 crs)
Its great on quantitative basis but high ROIIC shall be coupled with big opportunity size. Its of no doubt that food colors will be used 10 years from now but who will be the winner (natural or synthetic or natural-identicals), is what hard to tell. Not forgetting, demand for Natural Colors is growing due to awareness among consumer and if the biggest player is moving towards it, then it must give us a clue of what future is going to be like.
MQ puts me off as well. Will continue to read on this.

1 Like

Anyone attending AGM today ?

Does any one have AGM updates.

Recording of the 2020 AGM.

https://youtu.be/f_4ruspzsBg

2 Likes

Thankyou so much for sharing the link.

If I understood correctly, as per management guidance, sales is expected to increase to 700 crores once capex is done in both locations, which is estimated to be completed in 1 and a half years time.

That’s a topline growth of over 200% in 2 years. I wonder if the management is being a bit too over-optimistic in terms of guidance

Disclosure: Invested (5% of portfolio). No transactions in the past 6 months

1 Like

Management told 18 months for Dahej after getting EC approvals which they expect within a month. And 8-10 months for Roha after they get approvals of EC which is expected to come in 3-4 months.

Now the problem with EC approvals is that its a govt matter and no one exactly knows when they will finally get EC. Case in point- Vidhi applied for Roha EC in 2015 but they don’t have approvals until now!

Management was so bullish back then that they gave press release aiming for Rs.500 Crore topline by 2020. Reality- FY20 topline was Rs.225 Crores

Disclosure: Not invested

7 Likes

this AGM recording is not opening, with the remarks " this video is private" Neither video nor audio, kindly send the link.