SKM Egg Products - thinking out of the shell

Whether this is going to be a negative news for SKM Egg?

SKM q2 fy 18 results out.

Good topline growth from 41 cr to 67 cr y-0-y.

Margin pressures seem to be continuing with net profit negative due to tax impact.skm q2 fy 18.pdf (1.2 MB)

1 Like

Purchase of stock in trade for the 6 months ending stands at 35.94 crores compared to Zero in last year. Experienced management will take full advantage of this.

spiderman, Can You please elaborate on the purchase of stock in trade comment? I didnt get the point? Does it mean they have built up big inventory to be utilised later on?

Yes sir.

in Sep 2016 it is zero and now is nearly 36 Crores. Management has consciously built up inventory ahead of Festival season in USA.

1 Like

This looks like a deliberate decision and should reflect in next half of the year. Will add more if it comes down below 70.

Purchase of stock in trade by definition means anything that has been purchased (that cannot come under cost of material consumed) used for trading purposes i.e. steel being bought by a utensil manufacturing company will come under cost of material consumed, but steel bought by this company for trading directly (selling steel) will come under purchase of stock in trade. In the later case, i am not sure how any unsold steel bought for trading is reflected in P&L. Though, it should come under inventory in any case (trade or non trade).

You mean they have bought eggs in advance (so how is this different from inventory and should have come under changes in inventory heading), which has actually reduced from 52 cr to 47 cr (check Balance sheet). Anything that has been bought but not sold in a particular qtr should be deducted from the expenses under “changes in inventory, stock in trade” row.

1 Like

cant make any sense of this stock in trade but such entries were there in 2012-2013 also ,stock in trade

I would like to confirm as my understanding on Purchase of stock in trade is correct. If they spent 18.73Cr on purchase of any goods in the previous quarter and if they are selling in next quarter, then whether they will show this under Income in next quarter apart from their revenue from operations?

The correct PE stands 90+. Can we still expect the company to grow? I am not sure if I am missing something here…

Purchase of stock in trade as per the annual report in Egg powder only ( Russian Branch)

I don’t think this is correct interpretation. If the management has purchased something to be used in next quarter, it would have reflected in increased inventory levels, which is not the case here.

It seems they have purchased goods worth 18.73 crores in Q2 and sold it during the quarter. This sale value is included in “Revenue from Operations”. I think similar thing happened in Q1 also. So if you see sales have gone up in Q1 and Q2 as compared to Q2 2017 due to additional “revenue stream”. So as @Mridul pointed out, they have started out buying stuff for reselling thereby showing higher revenue but higher cost too.

If we assume they are adding around 10% margin of “traded” goods, then sales for “traded goods” would come to 20.60 Cr (18.73 x 1.1). This means sales of SKM’s base business for the quarter is 47.09 Cr, which can be compared with Q2 17-18. So for 6 Crores sales increase, there is 6 Crores increase in material cost. So not very good operating performance I guess!

4 Likes
1 Like

Egg prices jumped 20% in last 15 days

http://www.e2necc.com/eggdailyandmontlyprices.aspx

1 Like

Standalone Numbers

Year 2012 Egg Powder Purchase Nil
Year 2013 Egg Powder Purchase 4,60,24,670
Year 2014 Egg Powder Purchase 74,28,000
Year 2015 Egg Powder Purchase Nil
Year 2016 Egg Powder Purchase Nil
Customs Duty, Clearing & Forwarding expenses (Russia Branch)-6,52,878
Year 2017 Egg Powder Purchase Nil
Customs Duty, Clearing & Forwarding expenses (Russia Branch)-3,91,94,857

they started reporting separately from the year 2016 in Annual report. Please give your views.

there is no trading involved as per this data.

The egg price is at its life time high (4.47/Egg) as per Namakkal price and hope this will hurt the operation and financials of SKM. As per record they are purchasing approximately 15lakh eggs per day from outside and with the increase of approximate 50paise per egg will incur them a cost of 7.5lakh per day.

Aa per their record, their capacity utilization of their plant is keep on reducing.

3 Likes

Egg prices are soaring.What could be the impact of high prices on the company’s margin in the coming quarters,considering the large “Purchase in Stock trade” ?
TIA

1 Like

Another article on rising egg prices… Will it adversely impact skm…

On first look, it looks negative, but there could be opportunities in this adverse situation.
a.If they can use the high egg prices to negotiate and justify higher rate contracts. If they are successful with that and when the prices come down, it would help their margins.
b. Due to high egg prices, customer (specially hotels) could be inclined to try their egg while cubes, so this could help product promotion as well as penetration.

Only time can reveal the real impact and its size, till then the hope in the minds of deep pocket investors would drive the prices. My 2 cents.

Namakkal egg prices at 516. Up 23% from beginning of month.

http://www.e2necc.com/eggdailyandmontlyprices.aspx

From my research on this company a few months back, I noticed that their margins were best with Namakkal egg prices around 300 range. Anything around 400 has been historically bad. Now it is at 516 which should be catastrophic.

3 Likes