Kesar Terminals and Infrastructure Ltd

KMLL is a fairly simple business to understand. You have developed a facility at a cost & you would get rental income. Running costs in my opinion should not be high.

1. Interest cost is a considerable factor.To estimate , we need to know how much debt KMLL has taken ??
  2. As for 25 cr PAT ,it is a very significant figure. We are talking about almost 3 times consolidated PAT( considering KTIL PAT around 14 cr ) in another 2 years.I think we should not rely on management estimate & need to dig more.One way could be asking diff. ppl from KTIL about their estimates & get an idea about their consistency or contradictions.Another way could be talking to vendors ,local distributors ,ppl familiar with project. etc.

As for KTIL expansion plan in kakinda & pipav. I think KTIL should not take many things at hand at one point of time.As all these expansions require debt.We have many examples like JP associate ,Unitech ,suzlon etc. which kept on taking debt to create assets & in ruined their prospects.

Saurabh,

I agree with you mostly. KMLL is a simple business to understand.

Also I think the management is not insane like Suzlon and others. They have mentioned before, that expansion at pipavav and kakinada is put on backburner as long as KMLL project is not finished. If KMLL generates profits as per management expectations, it will help further capex to a huge extent

Good results from the companyā€¦

• Net profit marginally up at Rs. 3.84 crs (Prev. Year - 3.79 crs & Prev. Qtr - 2.53 crs)
  • Tax Provisions higher at Rs. 2.01 crs (Prev Year - 1.94 crs & Prev Qtr - 1.41 crs)
  • EPS 7.32 (Prev Year - 7.23 & Prev Qtr - 4.82)

Note: I have vested interestā€¦

Isnā€™t it weird that we are already 5 months in FY16 and still we have no clue from the mgmt regarding KMLLā€™s accounts and debt undertaken for the same wherein majority of capex is done. Whatā€™s the use of KTILā€™s accounts?

2 Likes

@cool_aksh - You are absolutely spot on. The corporate governance here is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason I am holding is that my costing is very low (120) and that I see KTIL easily doubling if they are able to extract profits out of KMLL.

Their AGM is on 23rd Sept. I am going for it even if they keep the AGM venue on MARS. I will catch their collar and get all our answers.

So far, I am relieved the Q1 numbers were stable and strong. If only they are able to deliver on KMLL, it will be amazing for us shareholders.

I guess only option is to wait till 23rd Sept

1 Like

I had earlier asked the mgmt few questions and they didnā€™t care to reply any of them despite many follow ups. I had written about these issues earlier on this thread as well. Mgmt not disclosing materially sensitive information on time and taking minority investors for a ride is a big negative for me no matter what. I was also invested from lower levels and exited above 500 after these issues surfaced. I would like to know progress and status of KMLL and its financials before I can make a call on re-entry.

Disc: exited.

latest annual report is available. linke for the same here: http://www.kesarinfra.com/pdf/Kesar%20Terminals%20AR%202015.pdf

few salient features:

management says kesar multimodal logistics is still not operational as some clearances are awaited.

Long term borrowings are now Rs 89 cr. Of this Rs 11 cr for the terminal business and Rs 75.44 cr for the KMML business. The latter is a project loan. ā€œ(Rate of Interest is in the range of 11.00 % to 13.25% p.a.{Previous year 10.95% to 13.45% p.a.}) Term Loans are repayable in 16 to 28 quarterly equal installment starting after the moratorium period ranging from two to three years from the date of first disbursement of the respective loansā€

from the management discussion and analysis:

ā€œChallenges faced in Bulk Liquid handling at Indian Ports are:Capacity constraints, lack of adequate infrastructure at Ports is a critical challenge faced in liquid bulk handling industry. Liquid bulk capacity utilization at Indian ports stands at 90-95%, much higher compared to international average of 70-75% which is considered to be ideal. This results in higher turnaround times and longer waiting period for berthing leading to port congestion. The major ports across upper west coast (Kandla, Mumbai and JNPT) account for almost 50% of liquid bulk handled at major ports with capacity utilization more than 95%.ā€

ā€œThe Central Government is taking a number of progressive steps which would promote the growth of Indian liquid bulk industry. As a first step, it has deregulated the diesel prices. This would encourage private players to explore downstream distribution creating opportunities for storage providers. Currently, the Companyā€™s 2 Bulk Liquid Chemical Terminals at Kandla, Gujarat operates at a combined capacity of 127,000 Kilo Litres (KL) at with a total of 64 tanks including specialized tanks, such as stainless steel tanks, tanks equipped with heating and insulation facilities and coated tanks which stores speciality products. The Company is awaiting requisite approvals from concerned authorities to add further capacity of 7000 KL at its Terminal 1, Kandla. The Company plans to convert certain Mild Steel (MS) Tanks to Stainless Steel (SS) based upon demand from its customers which shall contribute additional revenues. The Company has converted one MS Tank to MS Heat traced special tank on a specific requirement of a customerā€

views invited.

disclosure: holding and views may be considered biased

The Annual Report is as of March 31, 2015ā€¦ So, the KMML details will have to say that itā€™s not operationalā€¦

Expansion Plans:

The Company has been exploring new avenues to optimize and expand its present capacity at its Terminals at Kandla. The Company is awaiting necessary permissions from the authorities for constructing additional capacity of about 7000KL at its Terminal No.1for enhancing revenues. During the year, the Company proposes to convert further of its existing Mild Steel tanks into Stainless Steel tanks based on the market demand. The Company has about 10 acres of land on long term lease basis at Kakinada port in Andhra Pradesh. The Company plans to put up both Dry Cargo Warehousing and Bulk Liquid Terminal facilities at Kakinada. The Company has already received approval from Inter Ministerial Committee for putting up a CFS on a part of the 16 acres freehold land purchased by the Company at Pipavav port in Gujarat. The Company proposes to set up a Container Freight Station [CFS], Bonded Warehouse and Bulk Liquid terminal at Pipavav. The work at Pipavav is expected to commence after Phase I of the Composite Logistics Hub Project of the subsidiary Company, Kesar Multimodal Logistics Ltd. (KMLL) starts its operations.

As per the above, the company will start the Pipavav project nowā€¦ Capex to continue for another few yearsā€¦

The Company is in the process of increasing its installed capacity and modernising the existing plants at Kandla. The Company has already increased its capacity to 127,000 KL. and will add capacity to its Kandla Terminal by 7000KL shortly. The Company plans to set up a Dry Cargo Warehousing and Bulk Liquid Terminal at Kakinada, Andhra Pradesh and has already started with the land development work at the site. It has also plans to set up a Container Freight Station and a Bulk Liquid Terminal at Pipavav, Gujarat.

As per the above, the company has also begun ground work at Kakinadaā€¦

The equity capital of KMML has gone up to Rs. 417,755,000 in year ending March 31, 2015 as compared to Rs. 257,755,000 in the previous yearā€¦

KTIL now owns 99.94% as compared to 99.90% in the last yearā€¦

Looks like interesting times aheadā€¦

Note: Have vested interestā€¦

Hello all,
Thought Iā€™d share a few nuggets Iā€™d uncovered on KTIL. I just spoke to the company secretary who told me that KMML was basically waiting on two key approvals from the government:

1. ICD - Inland container depot for road logistics
  2. PFT - Private Freight Corridor (Railway)

He told me that the work on Phase 1 of KMM was nearing completion and was not yet fully complete. He told me that there has not yet been any intimation from the government regarding the approvals. So that got me thinking and after some googling, I got this link : http://commerce.nic.in/trade/national_tpa.asp

This basically gives links of minutes of the meeting of various ministries for all CFS/ICD proposals (or so I believe). Clicking on one of these links, I got to this page: http://commerce.nic.in/trade/ICD_list.pdf

This page is titled ā€œList of ICDs/CFSs approved by IMC (inter-ministerial committee) which are under implementation or functionalā€ gives the status of all ICD/CFS projects. In this page I found two links lines pertaining to Kesar:

1. Kesar Terminal and Infrastructure: Pipavav CFS - I.U.
  2. Kesar Multimodal Logistics: Powarkheda ICD - I.U.

I.U. means under implementation. From what I could surmise, the ministries have these projects on their approval list. Iā€™m sure certain other approvals are still pending for these projects (PFT, etc) else there would have sure been some sort of notification by the company but I guess it does provide some comfort as to the veracity of the projects and their nearness to completion. I am unable to comment any more on this but thought Iā€™d share and invite some discussion nonetheless.

Disc: Invested

8 Likes

AGM tomorrow Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Management is targeting 60% EBITDA from KMLL, which is akin to current
EBITDA margin on KTIL storage business. Despite rupee depreciation and
falling imports, I see KTILā€™s business to grow, albeit at a slower rate.
And for FY16, KMLL can add another 15Cr revenues. But real inflection
point will be FY17, where we can see the consolidated revenues in excess
of 100Cr.

• Extracts from MoneyControl Forum

Takeaways from the AGM:

AGM was well attended with many members asking detailed questions on the Kesar Multi-modal logistics project which is coming up at Pawarkheda in Madhya Pradesh.

Management was very forthcoming and H R Kilachand patiently answered queries from shareholders during and after the AGM. Members of the Board were also available to interact with shareholders after the event.

Kilachand indicated that the Pawarkheda facility will begin in the next 15-20 days as the railways are carrying out the work of installing signaling systems and equipment to move rakes into and out of the facility. He blamed the internal politics within the railways for the long delay in the project starting.

When fully operational, the facility will have the capacity to handle three rakes simultaneously. To begin with KMML will handle one rake a day and gradually scale up as demand grows. At present it has the capacity to handle two rakes simultaneously, but the management wants to construct capacity for the third rake right away as bureaucratic delays may hamper expansion at a later stage.

When the facility is fully operational, cargo like cement, fertilizers, textiles etc would be handled.

A big advantage would accrue to KMML if the railways go ahead with the proposal to halt goods handling operations at Itarsi. Because of
congestion, the railways seem to be keen that Itarsi station handles
only passenger traffic. Kilachand hoped that the goods traffic handled
by the railways would move to KMML.

Kilachand reminded investors that the warehousing business is competitive and there are many players. But KMML enjoys the advantages of having a goods rail line passing through its facility.

At present the cold storage facility has begun operations with fruits and vegetables being brought in for storage. Kilachand foresees big opportunity in handling agricultural produce since MP has become the countryā€™s biggest producer of wheat and one of the bigger producers of rice. He expects much of the cargo to move via KMML. Agriculture warehouse measures 16,000 sq mts.

As an aside, Kilachand said the company may look at food processing
business because of the location and availability of the facility. He
added that finance for food processing was available at 4 per cent
interest.

The management is expecting revenues of around Rs 16-17 cr in the first quarter of operations. Expected EBITDA margins at 60
per cent just like in the tankage business.

Company is paying a royalty of Rs 12.7 cr over the next 13 years or Rs 1.2 cr annually to the Madhya Pradesh Mandi Board.

So far company has incurred at debt of Rs 88 crores for the project. Some of the debt is also being paid back.

Kilachand says, KMML will benefit from the Goods and Services Tax.

As for the huge debt on its books, Kilachand says KMML may look at
offloading stake to investors at a later stage when it can get higher
valuations.

Regarding tankage business, company will begin work
on either the Kakinada or Pipavav project once first phase of KMML
begins operations. Company will have to reapply for permissions at
Pipavav, but it has all permissions in place for Kakinada. Company is
paying a rent of Rs 2 lakh per month for the land at Kakinada.

Red Flags

Management is expecting pricing pressure on its core tankage business at Kandla because of several facilities which are coming up at Pipavav and other places. But Kilachand says its tanks are priced competitively already and it would be able to maintain margins.

Tanks have a life of 30 years but they need to be maintained. Depending on what is stored in the tanks, they can even get damaged earlier.

Management is converting mild steel tanks into stainless steel tanks depending on demand.

others who attended are free to add anything i missed.

shiv kumar

10 Likes

Thanks a lot for updating us all. Really appreciate it.

Yes I was there. You are correct.

Neil

YoY numbers are flat. Company has reported decrease in long term borrowings while short term provisions have gone up.

Disc :- I hold

Dear Neil/Shiv, any update on the start of KMLL? In the AGM the management had given a guidance of start by middle of October. What is the current status?

Also, where does the current consolidated debt stand as of now? Also, currently is all the expense relating to KMLL being capitalized including the interest being accrued? The balance sheet as of March 15 was 178 crores. If you take an average rate of 12% on 88 crores it works out to approx. 11 crores. The company cannot afford further delays or any kind of miscalculation with respect to returns from the project or else it has the potential to entirely wipe out the company.

Also, what will be operating expenses of KMLL? How long will it take before it becomes PAT accretive? It might be helpful to ask some of these questions to the management.

Abhishek.

clearance from railways havenā€™t come though all work seems to be finished.
quite possible that management is waiting to formally start operations from
the fourth quarter.

they are renting out the warehouses as has been indicated in the AGM but
start of formal ops will be announced only when clearance comes from the
railways.

I donā€™t further info on the financials apart what was shared post-AGM.

Introduction of GST would be a big plus for Kesar terminals.

disclosure: holding full quantity and adding on dips.

i have checked the satellite image through google maps of their facility

i can see railway line going through their facility and coming out

all the facility seems to be completely developed

i think it is just a matter of few days that the things should be buzzing

Also because of climate change government is more open towards railways over road and air so they have to support kmll by giving railway siding and starting operation asap

railways can not delay such projects further especially when it is fully developed

railway line was laid long back. the delay is over completing work on signalling equipment. traffic on this busy route would be stopped periodically so that the work is carried out. management probably wants to officially start work from fourth quarter.

Thanks shiv for clearing it

whats the status of signalling currently

why is the management delaying to start it