If you CAN'T BOTHER to research/present a BALANCED view with decent RISK assessment, you have NO RIGHTS to start a thread on that business

don’t see why people need run around starting threads unnecessarily. there
are threads for many good stocks here that are still under valued.
coat-tail investing can also be very rewarding.

Much water has flown over in last few days.

And it’s really great to witness again the quality of folks we keep attracting at VP. This thread again is an example of a quality VP thread - that has effectively put all cards on the table - on both sides, so all of us can come away wiser from the spat. Great thoughts and great skill shown by many in cutting through the clutter on a complex issue.

As Hitesh says, its time to move on. But I can’t help adding 2 points, hopefully crisply

1. No-more a fun place - I am with Subash on VP no more being the completely open, freely-collaborating time, challenging fun-time, and great learning-curve time we had from 2010-11-12

How we wish we could go back to those carefree times! Every VP Old Timer would love to be back there. Unfortunately the child has grown up, and finds the adult world “shackling” him in. He realises there are no free lunches, in life. Responsibility & Accountability has to be handled like an Adult. He has to think twice, thrice before posting :frowning:

2.Credibility Questions - Ayush & Me face this the most - being the public face of VP

a) Isn’t a Disclosure “I have significant investments” a complete farce in the light of VP subscriber base today. For any popular/prolific poster at VP - that’s actually an advertisement. Any decent writer packages an unheard stock story well, posts at VP with nice disclaimers, more often then not, we see stocks spurting

b) Management Q&As - implies proximity to Management & Insider Information - started getting levelled against us from 2012. The first time we heard this was from a very senior functionary in BSE! To take care of UPSI (unpublished price sensitive information) apart from publishing at VP, we have been persuading company Managements to also put up the Q&A at company websites. Happy to report MPS has put up VP Q&A on its website

3.Most veterans/well wishers have been warning us for last couple of years, that VP can be in real danger of getting closed down. Is it really worth all the trouble? Why carry on with this double-edged sword hanging over you? Why not continue your work silently??

We at VP - the top 20 Contributors - when we met at Goa last June - decided unanimously to continue. Though everyone admitted it would be a far easier life (no hassles job) to continue what we are doing within this fab group, if we did not write at VP :).

We all wanted to continue VP - the idea of open-source investment collaboration was just getting strong roots. We had all grown in this way, there were miles to go. The only way to continue was of course to adopt Guidelines that ensure checks and balances, and get Admin to enforce them. And adopt a Code of Conduct for ourselves in the true letter & spirit of SEBI Guidelines - refrain from writing (read advertising) when you are transacting buying and even selling - it cuts both ways!

The other option - total freedom: VP closing down??
That is the stark reality. That is the gravity of the matter, however much we try to wish that away

35 Likes

Just want to add
Consider also the implications of free-format writing in our digital world where whatever you post here at VP is picked up by search engines, 5000-6000 emails go out every week, other sites like (fake) rakesh-jhunjhunwaala sites and others pick up the posts and advertise!

So actually Admin (though harshly sometimes) is probably doing us all a favour by preventing free-format but potentially damaging posts from getting wider circulation (and archived forever for posterity) and protecting each of our individual digital reputation and audit trail. Think the implications of the manner of a “Transient Multibagger” post (like this one) floating all around that gets traced back to you.

We all are responsible for our own individual digital reputation getting built up post, by post.
We all need to be very very careful of what we post, how we post, for our own sake - forget VP reputation if you like.

16 Likes

everyone seems to have a view and at times everyone sounds right. Let me add my 0.5 cents here (I know that it VP maturity index, that is all I am worth !!). I think, @subashnayak_19 has been given a prompt rejoinder and that is a fair ask since he is veteran, who has made significant contribution. That said, converting this tag line to what it is now is probably stretching the point. My simple addition - if one says that he or she is not qualified to write about the risks since they are not veterans of this industry, then the opinion must be respected. afterall, this forum is for discussing it further. (Agreed that it has to be in the right section but it is a simple move by the admin)…keep it coming Subash …

1 Like

Pleasantly surprised by so many requests/hope that I shall continue to post about new ideas here even after the treatment Kellton thread got. Frankly speaking, my thread is way better than many threads in VP that were created recently. I am not going to create a new thread at vp. I believe way more than finding unbalanced valuation stocks, than posting balanced views in VP.

Regards,
-Subash

4 Likes

how is your portfolio management strategy subash… earlier i believe it was a concntrated one with a long tail…:smiley: how has it evolved to now ?

its like one minister saying, he is more corrupt than me :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

The community has expressed it’s high regard for Subash’s previous work (there are many like me too, who haven’t posted but who admire Subash’s previous work).

The community still wants Subash to continue his good work. The onus now lies on Subash. I hope Subash can set the emotions aside and accept the changes at VP. Accepting changes will make admin’s task easy (This is necessary because he/they are doing it for free). If you seniors can do it then only us new folks will gladly follow your footsteps.

With that I would say, let us rest this topic for a bit and let the emotions calm down.

5 Likes

Hi Guys,

This thread has seen active participation by many, and the issue has been discussed form multiple perspectives. Time has now come for VP Core Team to intervene.

From VP Core Team deliberation on issue (Ayush, Hitesh, Donald, Abhishek, Sandeep), two things are pretty clear

1. Subash Nayak has been adding value to VP over last few years
  2. His recent conduct is unbecoming of a relatively Senior VP member
    a) he has not complied with the guidelines, instead
    b) he has been openly mocking Admin in particular, and VP Guidelines in general
    c) there is absolutely no sense of identification/belonging/pride with VP Ethos & Culture
    d) there is some merit in the “Advertisement” charge being labeled against those who refuse to properly examine/respond to counter-arguments against one’s “invested” ideas

Above conduct is pretty damaging and sets a bad precedent if others were to follow in Subash’s footsteps. No matter how valuable a member’s past contribution, it comes to nought if there is no respect/identification to the Community Ethos & Culture. Subash’s recent posts are clearly indicating he is not here at VP to learn, share and grow with us, he is here for other things.

VP Core Team is unanimous in recommending a Temporary suspension (30 days extendable to 90 days) of Subash Nayak’s membership.

19 Likes

This thread has served its purpose and is now being unpinned/closed.

Today VP audience and readership consists of different kinds of folks with possibly different ideas of how to use a platform like VP to the best advantage.

It again bears re-iteration that for those whose primary purpose at VP is to generate/receive workable ideas, BUT
a) cannot write a balanced post - adhering to VP Guidelines
b) cannot respond/examine counter-arguments to one’s invested ideas, and/or
c) do not have the TIME to work further on his/her proposed idea
please DO NOT use the Stocks Opportunity section - which is known for quality/rigour of analysis

Should you want to just POINT to a new idea with growth momentum or turnaround in fortunes, or change in Management, etc and find that there is no existing thread on that, please use the Company Q&A section instead, that is free-format and does not impose any limitations.

We expect everyone to respect/adhere to VP Guidelines - it is for our own good. If you are a responsible member, you will not expect other members/moderators/admin to clean up after you.

10 Likes