Hedging Against Equity portfolio

Many times far out of money strike options have a much higher IV,normally the put side has higher IV’s than the call side but sometimes the inverse also happens.

IV’s are derived from option prices and may vary from the historical volatility which can be used to calculate the theoretical value of an option.

The July month expiry is less than 60 days away and unless you are expecting the market to collapse soon you may not see much in the form of return buying options that far OTM,every day your option will lose time value.

Instead of paying 109 for the 9000PE,maybe you can buy the 9500PE(~Rs213) and sell the 9000PE(Rs 111) for a similar debit(213-111=102) which may become profitable if the Nifty level drops below (9500-102=9398),So your cost will be similar but there are more chances of Nifty dropping up to 9k than significantly below,but it will also limit your protection.

Maybe you can do a similar spread on the NIFTY DEC contract,for example:
buy 1 10000 PE and sell 1 9000 PE or
buy 1 10000 PE and sell 2 8000 PE and buy 1 7000 PE

There are unlimited options when it comes to options,it will depend on your level of experience and how you see things playing out so you can formulate different types of strategies depending on your portfolio size,how you see the correlation with the underlying etc.

Please note that options are leveraged instruments and are extremely risky especially if you are doing naked selling,the above example is only to get you thinking rather than advice on what you should be doing,my only advice is always be hedged.

Thanks Krishna

If I am buying puts how is my risk unlimited. These will become zero at the end of July so the cost that I am paying now is my maximum downside. Is it not

I have shares and only want to protect extreme losses for next 2 months until July end.

So I thought I will buy July puts at 7500 or 8000 and if nifty goes into extreme downside due to second covid wave my investments will have some protection

Most investments that I have go up and down with nifty

You are correct,the maximum you lose is the premium paid.

Please read my above reply again,nowhere have I stated that buying options has unlimited risk.
I was only cautioning against naked selling without hedging.

Understood
Thanks for your patience and help !
Do you recommend any book I could read to get a bit more knowledge on options
Thanks

Option Volatility & Pricing: Advanced Trading Strategies and Techniques by Sheldon Natenberg.

Options as a Strategic Investment by Lawrence McMillan.

Trading Options Greeks: How Time, Volatility, and Other Pricing Factors Drive Profits by Dan Passarelli.

Your Options Handbook by Jared Levy.

Hi
If you see todays put prices
For strike of 7000, someone has ask price of 3.7 for 450 quantity. This implis implied volatility of 65.31% whereas for strike price of 8000 the ask price is 7.45 which works to implied volatilty of 48%
Thats a big difference and might correct at some point
My conclusion was if hedging 8000 strike price offers a better value

There is a concept called Volatility Smile.

As the term implies, Far OTM generally have higher IV than near OTM. The difference in IV for 7k and 8k puts seem normal.

Makes sense, thanks. I usually like to verify my own stupidity

Is it worthwhile to purchase long dated put option like december as a hedge?

From what I know its difficult to buy December
I was recommended buy July and at end of July sell July and buy August
I put 5% of whatever profit I make during the rally to buy options specially during these uncertain times however I think the crash will not come when everyone expects it.
Also the central banks world over are pouring free money which only results in asset price bubbles
This one will be a very big bubble as on the other side production has reduced. So more money is chasing less produce.

Its difficult to say whether a crash will come or not. But that’s the point of hedging. If a crash comes, you are protected. If it doesn’t you earn a little less return. I was thinking of buying december because it will cover for 6 months at a cheaper rate

1 Like

The liquidity is very low as period gets larger and the cost is higher from my limited experience
@krishna1 or @Billu would know better.
It will help me as well if they can confirm :slight_smile:

Think i wrote here earlier that you cant daytrade LEAP options but put a limit order for December leap option and it will fill within the day.

Buying insurance every month will cost huge compared to buying Leap.

1 Like

I was trying to emulate the strategy suggested by @Billu but ICICIDirect only shows PE & CE contracts expiring Aug as ‘enabled’. All longer options are ‘disabled’ - despite NSE Option Chain data showing OI and trading for DEC 2020 expiry which I wanted to buy. Is there a way I can ‘enable’ LEAP options?

Now youve to use enable and use OTTP for illiquid derivatives. Zerodha sent curcular 2 days ago.

@billu can you possibly demonstrate one trade you do or recently done if at all.
Thanks for your help

Havent bought recently. Will show if and when i do. Have to test the OTTP myself.

Sorry for asking a noob question - what is OTTP?

BTW, this is what Zerodha says:

Can I trade far month derivative contracts in Zerodha?

We at Zerodha, based on our internal risk management policies, allow trading on the below Contract months in the respective derivatives -

INDEX futures and options -
NIFTY F&O - Current month contract and 5 months ahead (6 months in total)
BANK NIFTY F&O - Current month contract and 2 months ahead (3 months in total)
https://support.zerodha.com/category/trading-and-markets/margin-leverage-and-product-and-order-types/articles/derivative-contract-months-allowed

From my experience it’s difficult and expensive to buy contacts expiring 3-6 months in the future
The nearest ones are cheaper even if you have to incur the cost 3 times instead of 1 time
So if you’re buying July instead of December when you are in July

If someone has actually bought and sold and has experience I’d like to hear but based on theory, there is a saying if you think that a theory is the only way to solve or describe a problem then you haven’t understood the theory

I did tell you that I have ones in my portfolio and I’ve traded strangles during low vol times. Now I’ve insurance.

If you have made your mind about it - then do it, but why tell others that something is bad if you haven’t tried it and don’t want to try it.