Dinesh Sairam's Portfolio: Requesting Feedback

That’s a very good question.

An apparent problem with long term investing (As opposed to trading) is the long feedback loop. You can make a lot of money on the wrong bets over 4-5 years and come to the conclusion that that’s the best way to invest. Then over the next half a decade, you may pick similarly bad stocks and lose out on a lot of money. It can happen vice-versa too, even with ‘good’ stocks. You will learn the true lesson only at the end of ten years. Maybe more. That’s a cross we all have to bear.

In more complex terms, a feedback loop is called a ‘Mutual Causal Interaction’. There’s a short TED video about it:

Farnam Street has a longer article, in case you are interested:

So, for me:

1. I currently think understanding companies within my Circle of Competence, assigning a value to them based on estimated future cash flows and purchasing at a good discount to that value will allow me to earn good returns over the long term.
  2. So like our earlier example, I will have to see how this works out over the period of 4-5 years. In the process, I will collect evidence for or against my methods. So, some parts of my method may change completely and some parts of my method may solidify.
  3. Then this new system, with new moving parts, will influence the way I understand, value and buy companies.

The circle goes on. Thankfully, forums like VP kind of speed up the lead time. I have known things about some companies here, which I wouldn’t be able to if I hadn’t been here. I have learnt valuable lessons which have had a positive impact on the way I invest. And yes, some opinions haven’t affected that process so much (Like the claim that I should only invest in ‘quality’ companies), largely because they have been anecdotal.

Another way in which I have been lucky is that I started nibbling at the market during the top of a bull market. I invested a lot during the past few months and if this can indeed be considered the bottom of a bear market, then I have also invested quite a bit during the bottom of the market. I was lucky enough to see both the extremes of the market within a matter of 1-2 years.

Personally, I have the benchmark of making at least 16-17% CAGR over the long term (Say, 10 years from now). If over the course of this, my feedback loop tells me that I’m not that good of an investor, I might start shifting more of my PF to Mutual Funds. If I am able to achieve that, I might continue.

In the end, maybe I will be proved wrong, or may be I won’t. But the important thing is, every single outcome will impact the way I think about investing and hopefully, for the better. This learning process excites me the most. Good returns or good money, if anything, will only be a bonus.

11 Likes