Cupid Ltd – Helping the world play safe!

Hello Guys,

It good to hear about acceptence of Cupid in Zimbabwe as it is very large market with annual demand of ~ 5mn pcs and if cupid get the order it will be very positive for the company.

Source for Annual Demand in Zimbabwe: http://zimbabwe.news24.com/Regional-News/R35bn-tender-was-not-condomwise-20151012-2

Competition: Currently, there are followings players in the industry:

• Female Health Company (FHC)- Market Leader with annual sales of ~62 mn pcs. Its cost of manufacturing is ~15 Rs and selling Price is 35 Rs. It will be difficult for the company to maintain this run rate from public orders due to competitive pricing of Cupid. Company sees the possibility of the same and has started focusing on direct sales in USA.
  • Cupid: Company has just started its journey with large orders from Africa. It is available in around 30 countries as of now and is in process of registering in other countries (FHC has presence in 132 countries). As company evolve, it can eat market share of FHC as its selling price is ~24 (cost price is 4 Rs), which is much lower than FHC sales price. Its product is also getting very favorable response from the users as it is easy to use (very important & critical factor).
  • Sanghai Dahua Medical Apparatus Company in China which is licensed by a NGO PATH based in USA: It manufactures O’Lavie brand. Its selling price is ~50 Rs and based on various survey its product is not easy to use. Thus, its not a threat, atleast in medium term.
  • Tianjin CondomBao Medical Polyurethane Tech: Its brand is Phoenurse and is not a threat as it is in testing Phase.

Based on the above points i think, Cupid has very limited competition in the medium term and can get various orders going forwards due to favorable response for its product and cost advantage.

Valuation: As far as Valuations are concerned, its trading at ~25x FY16E and is not expensive looking at a) Growth Potential b) Moat (Cost Advantage) c) Oligopoly Industry d) High ROE and Dividend Yeild.

So as i mentioned few days back, patience to hold would be key here.

Note: Invested and Views could be biased.

9 Likes

Thanks Ravi for the information. Do we have exact idea on the current capacity of cupid and capacity expansion plans for next 3-5 years. I mean what is the readiness of the company if it gets sudden potentially large orders?

Mr Garg indicated that capacity will not be a constraint for the company and will increase it gradually to 40 mn by FY17 (Capex of ~2cr) as compared to current capacity of ~20-25 mn.

An important thing to note is that company is expected to have profit of 18-20 cr in FY16E with the sales of ~15 mn pcs. So if they reach to 40mn pcs in let say FY18, profit could be ~40-50cr.

Note: Invested and Views could be biased.

After speaking to Mr.Garg I got to know that the product approvals take time and generally range from 2 to 3 years(without accounting for the time taken in product development). The capital required for product development is just 6 cr. So capital is not an issue for a new entrant or an existing business…however, would an existing business with lots of capital want to spend so much time on approvals? Wouldnt they rather acquire a small company like Cupid? Secondly, the market is too small for these big players to even concentrate on right now…by the time they, Cupid may well have established its position in the market.

Secondly you have mentioned cost advantage as a moat…How does Cupid have this advantage…what is the source of this advantage? I recall reading cheap labor as a source…I doubt that since its hard to believe that it is such a labor intensive industry…I saw the annual reports of FCH and compared the gross and operating margins…The gross for Cupid is in early 60s while for FCH its 58…shouldnt rubber be cheaper in Malaysia? FCH didnt give break up of its operating costs so couldn’t figure out the expenses on labor…I am struggling to understand the reason for low cost

Still believe, they need to be consumer facing but the management lacks the marketing DNA so licensing it could be an alternative…

Disc:invested

1 Like

ravijain88
the cost and selling price of FCHO female condom can be found in the below article and it comes near to 15 -17 Rs and selling price near to 35- 37 Rs.

http://www.smarteranalyst.com/2015/04/30/female-health-co-fhco-transitioning-to-new-strategy-but-receiving-legacy-business-valuation/

can u please elaborate how you arrived at the cuipd’s cost of female condom at 4 Rs and selling price at 24 Rs as it will give very huge margin

Requesting other board members to throw some light on the cupids female condoms cost price and selling price .

vijay

1 Like

My calculation for 4 Rs cost is based on the discussion with the management and extrapolation of past results. Lets to look at the following Table:

As we can see from the above table, gross margin of the company is increasing. This is mainly on account of higher margin in Female segment. As per the management, gross margin in the female and male segment is 80-90% and 30-40% respectively. Lets see the following table to understand it better.

• Rough calculations
    So it is clear from the above table that gross margin is around 85% in the FC. Selling price of Cupid FC is around 24-25 Rs so cost of manufacturing comes to be around 4 Rs.Cost and selling price of FHC is 15 Rs and 35 Rs respectively.

Moat:

• Based on the above facts, i think company has cost advantage. Further, operating cost for cupid is very low as compared to FHC.
  • Secondly, as it takes long time to get approval and market size is too small for the big players to concentrate on right now. There is high entry barrier in the industry.

Disc: Invested and views could be baised.

9 Likes

ravijain88
Thanks for the detailed breakup

Could this difference be due to the raw materials used? …FC uses nitrile rubber while cupid uses natural latex

Look at this FHCO listed at Nasad has obly 500 cr m cap and PE is only 10

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/fhco

Am I missing something ? By this means Cupid valuations are stretched ?

Its net profit is same as that of Cupid despite selling 60 mn pcs vs 15 mn pcs of Cupid. Going forward, this may turn into losses due to followings:

• Difficult to maintain 60 mn pcs due to stiff competition from Cupid.
  • Past profit was higher due to tax benefits which will not be the case in future
  • Operating cost is increasing continuously

So looks like Cupid has huge advantage over FHC.

1 Like

@ravijain88 Your numbers are not right. fhco reported $4.3mn PAT for full year ending september2015 and this is equal to INR 29cr. Cupid’s PAT for four quarters ending september2015 is INR 11-12CR. FHCO did volume of 61mn for full year. Cupid did FC volume of 15mn in 6 months.

Key differentiation in this case is capital efficiency - roe/roce of 15% for fhco versus 55% for cupid !

FHC’s next year expected profit is ~25 cr and cupid can do 20-25 cr, so its almost similar.

FHC annual sales is 62 mn pcs and cupid sold around 6 mn pcs (sales of ~15cr) in 1HFY16.

I think as the market expand there are bound to be more players in the market which will get the margins back to normal levels.

even if we assume a PAT of RS 20 Cr. for this year, it is moving into 25 times forward buying,

sold 30% of holding today and plan to buy after seeing Q3 results in Feb and sustainability of margins

sinha124Santosh SinhaSantosh Sinha1h
Look at this FHCO listed at Nasad has obly 500 cr m cap and PE is only 10

A stock PE have various phases according to the business cycle …when the business is expected to grow at a very healthier rate and with sales the profit margins are expected to expand then the stock is given a high PE ratio… which you can see in the case of eicher motors or page industries .

FCHO is not expected to grow the sales and profits in a way cupid is expected to grow.
so you cant compare two different businesses in different geographies at different business cycles on the basis on PE only .

2 Likes

Dear Rajeev ji,

Its an extremely interesting thread started by you.

Cupid looks like an excellent growth story.

I think I have joined too late. :relaxed:

Pros :
The cake size will get bigger for Cupid from here on., ( in absence of some formidable competition )
They almost have the first mover’s advantage., with approvals from UNFPA & WHO.
The company has released their pledged holdings., & is now almost debt-free.
The promoter has good grip & understanding of his business line.
Addition of related products in their product basket.

Cons :

1. No second line management. ( not of immediate concern ).

For a late entrant like me, P/e of 46 is holding me back at the moment.

I would like to know your views on the same.

Rgrds,

Mukesh Tolani

I’m quoting some important lines from the news article as the significance of this news is immense, given the context of prevailing situation and the country we are talking about.

CFC = Cupid Female Condom.

Outcome of study done starting 2014:

RESULTS from an Acceptability study for the Cupid Female Condom (CFC) in Zimbabwe, commissioned in 2014 by the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MoHCC), the Zimbabwe Family Planning Council and UNFPA have shown that the condom is acceptable in the country.

Cupid Female Condon acceptability:

“Results show that the condom is acceptable in Zimbabwe, in fact the level of acceptability for the Cupid Female Condom CFC is very high. There is evidence that this is a condom that will be liked by all participants of this study; men, women, young people, sex workers and people living with HIV.

Significant statement to make which should help Cupid secure orders:

“Therefore, the Cupid Female Condom (CFC) provides an additional safer sex option and it is recommended to be considered for introduction into Zimbabwe,” she said.

Prevention is better than cure:

Despite the myths and misconceptions, condoms are so far the only method that has been proved to help in the prevention of unwanted pregnancies, HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Source link (posted by a member already in one of the above posts):

http://www.thebusinessconnect.co.zw/index.php/component/k2/item/26-zimbabweans-accept-cupid-condom-study

Disclosure: I hold Cupid.

6 Likes

Can anyone help me with information on the following

1. Are there only two existing customers (UNFPA & WHO ) for Cupid ? Just needed this to check the level of dependency of Cupid on them. Or What is the diversified customer base of the company ?
  2. Is there any predetermined annual budget of UNFPA spend., or is the figure erratic ? As this will directly relate to topline of Cupid.

Regards.

Discl : Interested, but not invested.

Some value add information on Cupid as per the information available publicly, sources provided wherever required:

1. FC is expected to grow at 9% per annum until 2018. Cupid could possibly grow at 3 times this growth given the sweet spot it is currently at (required approvals in place, low cost producer, visibility in largest African markets).

2. Cupid is awaiting US FDA approval. Any approval must be a very big trigger as it opens the market for USA. Only FHC holds FDA approval.

3. The Female Condom Is the Next Big Thing in Safe Sex - Pacific Standard

Summary is, it took a long time 6-8 years for the current female condom design acceptance and about 15 years to reach the current awareness. It may be that this awareness may turn into real sales now.

1. Typical feedback: Hard to use at first, but once you get used to it, it’s nice. This is where customer education is important.

2. The return of the female condom? - BBC News → Very insightful article.

It was written then in the article that "A smaller version aimed at the Asian market is in trial by Cupid”. Mr. Om Garg mentioned that this product is ready in his latest interview few days back in CNBC Awaaz.

1. I think Mr. Garg sensed this turnaround/opportunity and timed his return around 2008. He being an industry veteran as well helps in sensing the market opportunity.

2. http://www.femalecondoms4all.org/female-condoms/research/

Very informative website -

Important points from the above link:

Functionality Study

This Female Condom functionality study (Lancet), funded by the UAFC and carried out by MatCH (Maternal Adolescent and Child Health) of the University of The Witwatersrand, South Africa, was undertaken in 2011-2012. The trial aimed to assess the functional performance (breakage, slippage, invagination and misdirection) and safety of three new condom types — the Woman’s Condom, the VA worn-of-women (VA w.o.w.) Condom Feminine, and the Cupid female condom — against the widely available WHO/UNFPA prequalified female condom from the Female Health Company; the FC2.

Interpretation

This has been the largest and most comprehensive functionality trial to date and has provided important function data for these devices and has been used to compile evidence for WHO/UNFPA prequalification. Because of this trial, the Cupid condom has already been approved by WHO/UNFPA and is available for public sector procurement. Manufacturers of the other female condom products are using these data in their ongoing applications to regulatory authorities.

The attached study provides the in depth tests/trials done before providing approval to Cupid’s FC. So, getting this approval could be a built in moat as well for Cupid. See attached PDF below.

Excerpts From FHC annual report - “negative tone” actually. FHC is the competitor of CUPID.

1. Other parties have developed and marketed female condoms. None of these female condoms marketed or under development by other parties have secured FDA approval. FDA approval is required to sell female condoms in the U.S. The Cupid female condom became the second female condom design to successfully complete the WHO prequalification process in July 2012 and be cleared for purchase by U.N. agencies. FC2 has also been competing with other female condoms in markets that do not require either FDA approval or WHO prequalification. We have experienced increasing competition in the global public sector, and competitors including Cupid received part of the last South African tender. Increasing competition in FC2’s markets may put pressure on pricing for FC2 or adversely affect sales of FC2, and some customers, particularly in the global public sector, may prioritize price over other features where FC2 may have an advantage. It is also possible that other female condoms may receive FDA approval or complete the WHO prequalification process, which would increase competition from other female condoms in FC2’s markets.

2. The global public health sector market for male condoms is estimated to be greater than 6-7 billion units annually. The private sector market for male condoms is estimated at 10-15 billion units annually. The combined global male condom market (public and private sector) is estimated at a value of $4.5 billion annually. The female condom market represents a very small portion of the total global condom market.
    Our success is dependent upon the success of FC2. FC2 is ‘low price’ alternative to FC1.

3. At this time, we derive our revenues from sales of our only current product, FC2. The ultimate level of demand for FC2 is uncertain, and we may not be able to grow our business if demand for FC2 does not increase. We also depend on public sector agencies around the world to continue to include FC2 in their STI prevention and family planning programs; and on our commercial sector distribution partners to successfully market and distribute FC2. A decline in demand for FC2 would reduce our net revenues and profitability.

4. Competition from other products, including other female condoms, may have an adverse effect on our net revenues and profit margins.
    We may be unable to compete successfully against current and future competitors, and competitive pressures could have a negative effect on our net revenues and profit margins. Other parties have developed and marketed female condoms, although only one such product has WHO pre-clearance and none of these female condoms have been approved by the FDA.

Disclosure: I hold Cupid as disclosed earlier and am extremely bullish. Please do your own due diligence.

It is matter of time and hard work of the promoters is what the investors really want.

Cupid acceptance study.pdf (593.2 KB)

8 Likes

http://www.femalecondoms4all.org/female-condoms/stories-of-change/#id3

female condoms getting widely accepted with each passing day…

3 Likes