What you are buying in this major correction ? PF readjustment!

I have invested a decent percentage of my portfolio in NCL industries in recent times.

Hi Chiragjain,
It seems you have too many stocks in your PF, not sure if you’re able to review the performance of all the Stocks and keep track of the Corporate Actions.
Suggest if you can trim to a manageable limit.
Thanks

Yes raviraj you are right.

I am holding too many stocks but it has very difficult for me to monitor all the stocks and moreover the large caps I know i got it in inheritance, so the cost of purchase is almost nil and all are good managed company and all are multibaggers.

Yes, my portfolio value is same as it was in 2007-08, which could have been increased to many folds by this time.

I am facing lot of dilemma in cutting the list down :smile:

Still once I was holding >85 stocks in portfolio and has settled at 45 -50, but ideally I want to settle between 20-25 stocks.

Can someone help to reorganize my portfolio ( balanced and high growth )

Thanks…

Chirag, considering that you do not mind me advising, I can provide couple of pointers. Those shall help you trim down number of companies in your portfolio.

Consider all those stocks listed in your portfolio as a watchlist. Then, assign each of them points/ratings for MOS (margin of safety) at CMP and Growth potential.

Once this is done, you’ll be able to organize your stocks by high scoring to low scoring. Then you can take your top picks and remove the rest without emotion.

1 Like

@NikhilJain

No Nikhil don’t mind at all :blush:

your views are very much invited. I will work on your suggestions.

Infact what I did earlier was Reliance group was forming 25% of my portfolio in 2003-07 bull run and the same ruined my portfolio after that. So I cleaned whole Reliance group and all the PSU’s companies,JP group etc and now retained this stocks which I brought from my own studies and some added after getting in touch of this magnificent forum.

Chirag, Do not hold the stock merely because its cost of purchase is nil. Ask yourself whether every stock you hold can give you 20-25%+ annual returns or not? If answer is no then it is better to sell it and consolidate your portfolio.

5 Likes

Hi @chiragjain1976,

Do not hold stocks only because they have given you good returns in the past. Hold only which ‘can’ give you good returns from now on.

1 Like

Hi All,

Below is the list of stocks I hold in my portfolio, Now I am not able to allocate the % of PF to get maximum returns.

Kindly help to make decision.

TCS -----------12%
Sun pharma—6%
HDFC-----------12%
HDFC Bank----7%
Kotak Bank-----7-8%
Thomas cook ( very confident on prem watsa )----2%
Kitex garments ( very bullish )----5%
Ambika cotton------2.5%
Pokarna-------0.5%
Mold tek packaging------1%
Intellect design arena----1%
Shilpa medicare ( very small quantity wanna to increase significant )–0.05% want to increase
Bajaj finance-----1%
Motherson sumi–3.5%
Eicher motors—2%
Page Industries—1%
Bharat forge----1%
Gruh finance ( very bullish )----3%
Ashiana housing----3%
Poddar developers----2%
Shriram transport finance—2%
Asian paints ( small quantity )----<1%
Aurobindo pharma —<1%
Bosch------2%
Century plyboards----<1%
DCB bank----1%
ICICI bank----3%
L&T----2%
Mayur uniquoters-----0.06%
Oriental carbon ( bullish )----1%
PTC india financial------1.25%
Premco global----<1%
SBI-----1.25%
Suven life sciences ( very optimistic )----1.25%
Tech Mahindra----0.5%
Tata Motors ( DVR )—<1%
United Spirits ( SIP and extremely bullish )----3%
Wish list:
Shilpa medicare
PI Industries

I would like the senior members to help me on allocation to particular scripts for maximum returns.

Thanks…

You can go about in a methodical manner. First prepare a list of companies you are very bullish on and absolutely cant do without in your portfolio. Try to restrict this list as much as possible say to 10-15 companies.

Then in priority of your conviction and valuation parameters you can list down the priority list and then allocate weightage to these companies and then gradually build up the portfolio in that particular manner.

Since markets are weakish stocks in all likelihood will not run away and will therefore give you the time to gradually accumulate over a few days/weeks.

I usually put in a filter to buy a stock. If I am confident to bet atleast 10% of my portfolio on any long term bet then only I buy otherwise I pass it. (For some techno funda short to medium term bets this filter is relaxed somewhat to maybe 5%.)

3 Likes

Its better to have a watch of stocks initially and then track them .

I have been buying fortis healthcare, granules, caplin labs, Tv today ( tv today moved nicely ), Tatachem and tataglobal

I normally keep a track of 25 and 50 day moving average as an additional requirement ( hope i did not cross the limits by using a technical term)

1 Like

I think time has again come, if someone wants to again do some rebalancing in his PF.
Many high quality names have corrected recently up to 30 %.

I am 12 % cash willing to deploy this week, but as always happens in market, the stock you wish to buy never corrects and the stock you wish to sell keeps going down ! :grinning:

Best

5 Likes

This is again shopping time as most stocks are on sale ! What are you buying or window shopping only ? :hourglass_flowing_sand::moneybag::closed_umbrella::arrow_double_down::signal_strength::no_entry_sign::bomb::watch:️:see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::ox::+1:

2 Likes

Unfortunately loaded up a lot of stocks in the last week of December. Hope the correction lasts until Jan end when I will have another 15% cash to deploy.

Planning to add to most existing positions and bring them in proportion to portfolio.

RBS cries ‘sell everything’ as deflationary crisis nears.

So we will get number of opportunities during 2016. Close your wallet now and be on cash is the best option.

My personal buys however during the week are.

1. ICICI Bank
  2. Granules India
  3. Torrent Pharma

This might change next week however. Looks like all of a sudden I’m given lot of options. “Problem of Plenty”

I have done some serious addition in Torrent, Granules, Ajanta, Avanti, moderate addition in cupid, axis, capital first and of course some pitiful entry and addition in Wocky…big regret is the last one but for the rest, with each passing day, it looks as if the bottom might cave more and more discounts might be in the offing. The usual pessimists are lined up in TV channels and they can’t stop gushing with their ‘I told you this before’ lore…
I am fairly certain that informed boarders in this esteemed forum are loading up or atleast nibbling at it but disclosures are voluntary and hence I doubt very much whether the real meaty ones will be revealed here

1 Like

Think most of us are in the same boat… went shopping spree in December during fed hike time and exhausting the cash reserve. Never expected this carnage now. Waiting for this month end’s salary. :smile:

My add more list

1. Take Solutions (added aggressively in Dec. Now beaten up)
  2. Intellect Design Arena
  3. Alkyl Amines

Disclosure: I already have all the above stocks in my portfolio.

1 Like

Fully deployed but want to add Ajanta, Granules and Torrent. Need to sell some to make it possible. :grin:

Planning to add Ajanta, kitex and shilpa but waiting for monthend salary …

1 Like

looking large caps blue chip contra. 40% Cash holding now

1. ICICI
  2. SBI
  3. NMDC
  4. Cairns
  5. L&T
  6. MRF
  7. Asian Paints
    Short term trading Bet
  8. FCEl
  9. Syncom Form

An observation:

During 2008-09 crisis Icici bank was a trough mcap of around 34000 cr. At that time its ttm pat was appx 3600cr and networth was 47000 cr. Ttm pe worked out to 9-10x and pb was 0.7-0.8x.

Today its ttm pe is 11-12 and pb is 1.5x.

I look at pe and wonder that surely things are not so bad that India’s largest private sector bank should quote at a valuation that is a few points away from that during the worst time in recent history.

Using same yardstick Sbi was at trough valuation of pe 6.5 And pb of 1.

And today it is pe 8 and pb 0.8.

Large cap stocks are best bought when there is fear and pessimism surrounding them. Otherwise they are so well covered by the analyst community that it is quite difficult to find value many times.

Sbi pat has grown at cagr of 9% and networth at 17%. Over 2009-15. And valuations are at close to max pessimism levels.

Icici profits grew at 22% cagr and networth at 11% over 09-15.

current sbi chairperson has 6 months left in her job. Sbi performance could b tepid in this time.plus there is no saying what sort of clean up the new person will indulge in.so that’s a risk in sbi vs icici.

discl - taken a starter position in icici to test my thesis. may or may not add more.

3 Likes