Unichem laboratories ltd

Unichem Laboratories receives ANDA tentative approval from USFDA for Memantine Hydrochloride Tablets

http://www.bseindia.com/xml-data/corpfiling/AttachLive/Unichem_Laboratories_Ltd_261012.pdf

Hitesh,

what’s the difference between tentative approval and final approval. With tentative approval can they sell the products in US from now or will have to wait till 2015 till the final approval. Any idea how much this can contribute to the export revenue?

krishna

You have got me there. I also dont have any idea about what this tentative and final approvals are.

Will try to get some details from a friend and get back.

But my understanding is that once company applies for an approval the USFDA checks the data, and gives a tentative nod that okay ur data and samples etc is acceptable. then once the patent expires the final approval is given. But for all of this to happen, the FDA first needs to have approved the manufacturing facilities of the company in question.

hitesh.

I think they can sell their products after the expiry of the patent and after getting the final approval.

Jai ho hitesh bhai,

Whats ur view on Indoco Remedies???..looks like a decent Mid size pharma company by all accounts…

hi ranvir

indoco is a good company. Main kicker will be the exports agreement it made with two companies for supply of ophthalmic and other products. I think second half of fy 13 should start reflecting these figures.

In the short term though, all these companies who have ANDA filings will be affected sentimentally due to hike in filing fees by USFDA.

The thing I dont like about them is that their presence in domestic pharma space is not too strong to inspire confidence.

I think the problem with Indoco is that their presence in the domestic market is too concentrated on acute therapies and not in chronic therapies. But they have some good brands in chronic therapies like cyclopam(69% marketshare), sensodent(95%), sensoform(68%), homide(93%) and many more.

Also page no. 35 and 36 of latest AR are quiteinteresting. The companyincurred heavy losses due exchange rate fluctuation on foreign borrowing, without which the growth would have been quite good.

Plus, u have already covered their tie ups with major intl pharma giants.

A nice story brewing here i would guess…

hi hitesh bhai,

Do u also track Torrent Pharma…they have shown tremendous growth in the last 2 qtrs

torrent pharma is also a good company in the mid tier pharma stocks.

But in case of torrent dont go by net profit figures as there is a large other income component in first half of current year. (116 crores vs 25 crores in corresponding first half of previous year)

Only problem i see with torrent is that there is a lot of other income other expenditure etc in the results which makes it difficult to gauge the actual profitability.

Sales and EBIDTA though have shown good growth esp for q2 fy 13.

At cmp much of this is priced in and it can at best be a steady compounder not a multibagger.

Came across recruitment ads by Unichem in the Goan local newspapers. Posts mainly relating to quality control.

unichem is showing a very very iffy cup and handle formation.

we need to see if the pattern plays out or not. Its not the classical pattern seen in cup and handle but has some resemblence.

attached chart.

I remember reading in some thread how the drug price control (DPCO) will not impact the drug exportersmuch. But here in this article Dr. Swati Piramal is highlighting how it will. Here is the relevant section. Not sure where to post this article am posting it here

“Currently, the indian pharamceutical exports are worth 42,000 crore. As a consequence of cost-based pricing, Indian manufacturers who contribute close to 81% of the total pharmaceutical exports, which account for roughly 50% of their revenues, will beseverelyimpacted. This is because any abnormal price reduction in medicines in the country would have a direct impact on the pharmaceutical export realisation, since manycountriesfollow reference-pricing system, which will result in comparing Indian domestic prices with those for exports.”

Time again and again I have been proved right on the fact that, “where ever Madamji, her pet maun-mohanji, and her yes-madam gangs lays their hand, they turn gold into soil”.

I have a valid reason behind staying away from companies/sectors effected by govt policies, because vote-bank based center-left wing policy + endemic corruption can never create conducive environment for doing business in an ethical way, and create value for shareholders.

I won’t be too fast, but seems like I have to re-look my decision of having high portfolio percentage for pharma companies, (may be slowly reduce it to 35% portfolio to 25% in 6 month time frame), and add stock from absolutely boring industries like artificial leather, CPVC pipe, Lead battery, Cookware, Sanitaryware/ceramics, or even currently cheap going asbestos companies.

exportersmuch. Link: https://twitter.com/PiramalGroup/status/272970292622655489/photo/1 beseverelyimpacted. manycountriesfollow Link: https://twitter.com/PiramalGroup/status/272970292622655489/photo/1

Unichem Laboratories receives ANDA approval from USFDA for TIZANIDINE TABLETS-http://www.moneycontrol.com/stocks/stock_market/corp_notices.php?autono=620517

UNICHEM FLAG PATTERN ON WEEKLY CHARTS.

LINK : http://www.valuepickr.com/forum/techno-funda-picks/768578667

An opinion on unichem appeared in equitymaster

http://www.equitymaster.com/outsideview/detail.asp?date=12/10/2012&story=6&title=Unichem-Profitability-waxing-and-waning

I had a visit from the Unichem regional sales manager today. He seemed to be quite upbeat about the prospects of the company.

A new guy in the sales dept Mr Dhingra seems to be pushing sales momentum forward.

According to him fy 14 may be a blockbuster year with the company firing on all cylinders.

Derma division progress is quite encouraging with products launched in last few quarters gaining a lot of traction.

Mr Dhingra is a reputed veteran who had recently taken over the marketing function at Unichem.

Hitesh Bhai yeh EM wala Kya kah raha hai apni report mein. Theodicy simple language mein samjhaiye

I went through the EM article. Essentially it deals at the Annual report details and smaller details therein.

I think the report focusses mostly on the things in the past. What I want to focus on is the future of the company and how it can go ahead.

Past two years have been a transitional stage for the company with change in the distribution system and expansions. Both took toll on the results of the company for the past two years.

Now what we have is a company which is regaining foothold in the domestic markets and with enhanced capacities should find it easier to grow. Plus exports seem to be progressing very well. So I think Unichem could be in a sweet spot going ahead.

disc: invested and unichem remains one of my top holdings.

Hitesh ji,

Even after the USFDA approval the price of the stock price has not appreciated.I was expecting the 200 levels to be broken but it did not happen.

I might be wrong but is it due to the pharma bull run taking a break here.