Sugar Cycles: 7-8 years of losses followed by 2-3 years of super gains!

Sugar is a simple business. If the price of sugar goes up, then the mills make more money.

Sugar price in india has been in the range of 32-37 rupees since last 10+ years. Long term charts indicate that the price is poised for a breakout and may move to a higher range between 50-60 rupees per kg.

If the same happens, then we may expect 2x-4x gains from sugar stocks.

That’s my basic investing premise.

I think…beyond price analysis of sugar…everything else is superfluous. All global. agencies keep revising their forecasts evey 3-4 months. ISMA gives misleading figure at the most crucial time. Sugar mills too play with sentiments, they over play their problems. Only objective criteria is price analysis.

So I intend to keep a close watch on wholesale sugar price.

A best case scenario would be an upside breakout in sugar price when nifty / market is in correction mode. Then we may be able to get sugar stocks at an attractively low enough prices

17 Likes

@Mehnazfatima thanks for providing your valuable opinion on the likely start of sugar cycle. You have mentioned that we should wait for breakout in sugar prices. Do you mean that we should wait for the price breakout before fresh purchases in sugar stocks or should we buy the stocks at current prices and then wait? I am an absolute novice in playing cyclicals. What percentage of portfolio can one safely allocate to play cyclicals and do we need a stop loss when entering a cyclical stock?

1 Like

Quote of the thread! Thanks for continually reinforcing!
Will study relative difference between UP, Maharashtra, and other companies.

3 Likes

@Mehnazfatima,
Agreed on everything, but how does one account for the huge revenues/profits from selling ethanol to OMCs ? I understand ethanol profits aren’t as much as the extreme sugar profits at cycle high.

1 Like

a) Yes Balrampur certainly is the biggest esp with recent proposed ~60% ethanol capacity addition, and Dalmia from EPS perspective. Still next year Balrampur might end up with 3x Dalmia’s ethanol capacity.
b) Very reluctant to commit in the absence of a track record. It’s a play to source raw sugar at the lowest price (hopefully locally) and export refined sugar at highest price possible.
c) Again track record, last high international price was ~32c/lb in 2010 and we imported then (and contributed to that high international price because of our urgency and high volumes) because of local shortage. If there’s too much demand that even normal more efficient exporters like Brazil or Thailand couldn’t fulfill, our cost shouldn’t matter.
d) I’ll have to check, but from sugar crushing capacity standpoint, Renuka is in the 2nd tier with Dalmia, Dwarikesh etc.,

4 Likes

Thanks for the input.

I am thinking about the inventory present in the domestic market.

For SS20-21, production is estimated at 32.6 Mn tons, opening inventory is estimated at 10.7 Mn tons. Ethanol diversion is estimated to be 2 Mn tons. Hence, Supply of 41.3 Mn tons. Domestic consumption is stable at 26 Mn tons. Hence, opening stock for next season is 15.5 Mn ton if govt doesnt give export incentives.

As you can see in the table attached below, this is one of the years with the highest closing inventory. Isn’t it detrimental for the price rise in the domestic market?

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 12.32.23 PM

Also, I am sceptical regarding how much govt should be trusted when it comes to export incentives.

In this article, they clearly mentioned that govt rules out the possibility of export incentive for S020-21:

And again within a month they change their statement and now they are willing to give incentives:

Remember that there was a years delay in payment of previous incentives to millers which enhanced the liquidity stress in the system. Also, incentives this time has been just Rs.6/kg vs Rs.11/kg last year. Unless global prices increase drastically, Indian exporters will be able to export a maximum of 6 Mn ton which is the expected global deficit if I am not wrong. Can we export more than the deficit and without govt subsidy limits given we are the highest cost producer?
I am not sure.

14 Likes

To guesstimate how much of the sugar inventory indian mills would be able to export, I think we should have a look at the international sugar price.

ICE SUGAR 11 continuous contract is now at 16.5 cents per pound. There has been an upside breakout in the sugar 11 contract on long term charts…I think over the next few months the price may consolidate between 12-13 cents and form a base for a long rally.

Therefore in the present sugar season, exports may not be feasible without subsidy. But by next crushing season I expect the ICE SUGAR 11 to be in uptrend and trading above 20-22 cents. That kind of price makes big qty export from india feasible. Too much global liquidity which is inflating the commodity prices will act as a tailwind for the rally in global sugar price.

Thus I am of the view that 2021 may herald good days for sugar mills…

Once the global sugar price starts rallying, it can go up very quickly and it can go much higher to 30-40 cents per pound too…let’s wait and watch from sidelines.

11 Likes

Global sugar prices sharp rally” in talks with industry experts
By Shivaaneey Rai -Thursday, 14 January 2021

Global sugar prices have rallied sharply however the industry is in a nail-biting position to solve the puzzle of whether the current rally has solid fundamentals. March NY world sugar #11 (SBH21) at the time of writing this article is +0.64 up at 16.48 (+4.04%), and March London white sugar #5 (SWH21) is trading +10.20 up at 459.30 (+2.34%).

In conversation with ChiniMandi News, a few industry experts shared their views.
Mr. Michael McDougall – Managing Director at Paragon Global Markets, LLC, New York, USA said,
“We just jumped now as buy stops were activated above 16.22, the high from earlier today and then 16.33, the recent high. SO that is bringing in more technical buying. There is talk that Pakistan might import 300 K of sugar to try and calm down their internal market, though most likely it is more threat than reality. Additionally, there is also talk that Brazil is well priced already with anywhere between 69-80% of exports fixed in the futures markets. That is up significantly from the 29% last year. So the selling above is most likely much lighter than we would normally see at this point. I would say it is “Any excuse for more juice”. Commodities are attracting attention from funds and with all the money sloshing around, they just need any excuse to buy more”

Mr. Arnaldo Luiz Correa – Director at Archer Consulting said, “Well! I think the market is rallying for no fundamental reason. In my opinion it is more a technical and the knowing funds activity. March has basically no sugar from Brazil so the market can freely continue to go up and I think it’s a great opportunity for the Indian exporters to fix their sugar in the global market. And I still think for the 2021-2022 crop in the Central South of Brazil thats related to the months of May, July, Oct 2021 and March & May 2022 if you take the average something like almost 14 to 15cl/b because the market is inverted, May has a higher price and I keep saying that I don’t believe for these particular months we are going to see prices much higher than 15cl/b in average or if you are expecting 16c/lb we need to have a perfect storm to make that happen. One thing we cannot forget is the fact that the consumption of sugar worldwide has probably declined due to the pandemic. We don’t have the accurate figures yet, but there has been no doubt that a shrinkage on the global has taken place which is estimated to be 2-3 million tonnes. I don’t see any fundamental change witnessed in the market to support the upward movement. One must be very careful while taking advantage of it. When we look at the oil prices, they’re still hovering between $50-$55/barrel which is a good indication that the fuel consumption worldwide has decreased and that will surely have an impact on the ethanol price in Brazil making the mills to maximise the production of sugar.

Mr. Marcio Perin, Senior Market Research Analyst – ED&F Man said,
“The last few weeks have been quite positive for the commodities markets. Sugar has taken a ride in this more beneficial environment. The non-commercial funds returned to the purchases, adding a bullish tone to the markets. However, this rally does not seem to be supported by supply and demand fundamentals. In the short-term, the flow is sovereign. But in the medium term, this flow can be reversed, weakening even more fundamentals.”

The above article supports #Mehnazfatima view on the weakening of prices in the medium term. Let us await for the hardening of prices in International market to take a plunge in impending sugar rally.

4 Likes

The Maharashtra Government has set an ambitious target of manufacturing 108 cr litres of ethanol during SY20-21…Now thumb of rule indcates that could potentially reduce sugar output by 7-8m tonnes if implemented in complete earnest. Even if Sugar exports arent viable this year, ethanol could well turn out to be an unexpected surprise ?

4 Likes

EID Parry and Triveni Engg - Based on their diversified business profiles - these 2 are comparatively safer bets. Any upside in commodity cycle improves earnings prospects whereas the current valuations protect downside. Thoughts??

1 Like

To manufacture one liter of ethanol, sugar mills have to forego 1.5 kgs of sugar production. On this basis of this rough eattimate, to manufacture 108 crore liters, the production of sugar would be reduced by 1.62 million tons of sugar only.

Calculation 108 crore liters…108,00,00,000*1.5= 162,00,00,000 kgs of sugar=16,20,000 tons =1.62 million tons of sugar

7 Likes

hi Donald,

Lets deconstruct Balrampur Chini Mills and how ethanol is bringing in structural profitability to the company.

Current distillery capacity is of 520 KLPD. As per management notification to the exchanges, it is expected to produce 17 crore liters of Ethanol in FY21

New Distillery capacity approved by Maizapur of 320 KLPD, capex of Rs 320 crore (210 crore debt and Rs 110 crore Equity) – Fungible to use grains / Molasses to produce Ethanol ~10 crore liters of capacity to come onstream by Oct-2022. (100 KLPD ~ 3 crore liters - estimate by mgmt during concall)

FY23 – you will have March Qtr which will have new capex onstream completely so that will help generate 2.5 crore liters of ethanol. (mgmt has guided 18 crore liters in FY22) so 18+2.5 = 20.5 crore liters in FY23

FY24 – entire Maizapur unit available for the year so 10 crore liters added to existing 18 crore liters translating to 28 crore liters of ethanol.

Blended Ethanol realizations assumed at Rs 55 for FY21 and Rs 57 for FY23 & FY24 and PBIT margins at 40% (lower than historical average). not accounted for further if any ethanol price hikes.

Lets say that what they earn in Sugar segment for this year remains flat & in future, suppose MSP hikes offsets the FRP & SAP hikes to maintain absolute profitability.

At a market cap of roughly Rs 4000 crore. The company trades at a PBIT yield of 15% for FY21. Also remember the management has distributed 40% payout of its earnings as dividends or buybacks.

I think this structural change in earnings profile is not yet completely discounted by the markets and hence offers favourable risk reward in my perspective.

Any shortage / deficit in sugar, resulting in higher prices might just accelerate the re-rating.

5 Likes

Yeah, my mistake - I ignored the other part of the equation of lower recovery.

Can we really assume Ethanol prices at 55 for FY’21? Even though Balrampur diverted 40% of cane for B-Molasses, their weighted realization was 45/litre! So isnt 55 a little too aggressive?

hi,

thanks for your question. let me share Balrampur’s Q2FY21 investor presentation chart which will help clear the numbers assumption.

As you can see in the last line, Mgmt has stated that 65% of total alcohol sales were through B-Heavy mode and 35% from C-Heavy mode in H1FY21. Further as i ve shared their December 2020 update, it expects to divert 65% of cane towards B-Heavy ethanol production for SS21 i.e. Oct-2020 to Sept 2021.

Not sure where you got the number 40%?

Now as far as blended realisation goes, from the segmental of Distillery, one finds that during H1FY21, Ethanol B-Heavy sales are at 5.65 crore liters and C-Heavy at 3.08 crore liters with their respective realisations one gets Ethanol sales at Rs 441 crore for H1FY21 vis-a-vis reported Distillery segmental revenue of Rs 486 crore. Difference accounting for RS, ENA and others.

Ethanol H1 breakup

Nonetheless, here for my assumption of Rs 55 as blended rate, I made a crude estimate by dividing the segmental revenue of Rs 486 crore by the Ethanol volume for H1FY21 which is 8.73 crore liter and you will get Rs 55.6 / liter.

And reasonable margins of 40% on Distillery segment to arrive at the numbers in earlier post.

Hope this helps

4 Likes

Sharing some thoughts
Ethanol can be generated through grain based industries .it is not entirely depends on the sugar industries as such
e,g Cargill India is keen to invest in facilities to produce ethanol out of corn.ABGrains ( UB group ),Poineer industries ( in Punjab Earlier part of BCL ) and many more so govt procuring of Ethanol is not solely depend on sugar industries . We can put this in simple equation for calculation of reduction of sugar
output from the sugar industries .
regards

Dhampur sugar declared Q3 results…
Very good results when compared to Balrampur chini results. If we see the segmental results. PAT on sugar has taken a hit while Ethanol has saved the day.

4 Likes

Sugar futures are inching up slowly. At 17.5 today. I am using Sugar No.11 Futures to track. Is this the correct one or should I use some other ticker to track?

Admin: Please delete this message if not of value or is against community rules.

5 Likes

hello ,
After a long time I am updating on this Thread,
made good returns in the previous Cycle of Sugar
THANKS to this thread and Contributors.

BALRAMPUR CHINI … hits a life high today and good closing too.
a fund did a Block Deal too ,
Attaching a Balrampur Chini

Chart & bulk Deal data .

9 Likes

While the prices of white sugar at DMART/Reliance retail are still at INR 35-36, sugar stocks have seen 30% average upmove already. I believe this rally is largely due to high fuel prices at international level. If one reads the first few posts in this thread, sugar shares may multiply several times over after being a laggard for few years.

Is there a basket of relatively better sugar stocks that we can build together as a group?
I will begin with a suggestion myself - Dhampur Sugar
Reason
reduction in debt over 200crores since Mar 2017
share is trading at 0.87 times its book value even at 8th Mar CMP
company does pay dividends with last dividend being 60%, i.e. yield of approx 3% at current CMP