Selecting a broker

As such, automated trading in India is not allowed for retail traders, and so people won’t share the api’s with you.

Symphony Fintech provides a amibroker-NOW bridge. I believe Sharekhan and Zerodha both offer such a bridge too. I used the windows shell to create such a bridge for myself.

Frankly, today I would choose Zerodha over SAS, for the following reasons:

a) While SAS is cheaper in terms of brokerage(9Rs vs. 20 Rs), their turnover charges are higher. This amounts to more than brokerage, if your trades are large.

b) Zerodha has a more fleshed out technology platform along with free charting tools. You have a larger number of order types to play with.

c) Because it is more popular, I think it is safer too.

Regards
Samir

You don’t have to sell your shares to transfer shares from one demat to another. All you need to do is use a transfer slip to do an offline transfer.

I am associating with Angel Broking will provide competitive brokerage with good service

For IPO funding you should open account with atleast two three brokers viz. JM, Edelweiss, Kotak and Religare as demand for funding has shot up and one may or may not accommodate you so better to open with two or more.

Zerodha has recently started providing API to the retail clients. I have not started using it so can’t vouch for their usability and reliability but they are one of the first to offer it to retail I think

Check https://kite.trade/

[Disclaimer: I am not a zerodha associate though I am using their services for quite sometime]

I have accounts with HDFC Securities, Zerodha and Sasonline.
Zerodha is easily the best.
Sasonline is pretty terrible with services and software, buggy website, spreadsheets. I fell into trap due to their flat Rs 9 charge, but honestly for long term investors it doesn’t make sense to chase trading charges. Thier partnership with IL&FS for DEMAT is another mess.

I have a question on this thread to veterans, is it better to have multiple DEMAT accounts or one? @hitesh2710 can you answer.

I have tried 4-5 and liked Geojit the best.

I like to have only one account in one name. Reason being that it becomes easy to track and handle. And other is if u have some dated IT related query u dont have to pursue too many brokers to get your statements.

1 Like

Going through the discussion, it seems that Zerodha is one of the better options available in today’s context.

Does anyone have experience with moving their ICICIDirect account to Zerodha? I am assuming that one will need to do a demat transfer of securities from ICICI to Zerodha approved demat partner. Also, bank account will need to be opened with Zerodha approved partner to start transacting. Are there any other steps involved in the process that I am missing?

Hi Hitesh,

Based on your experience, what are your suggestions on broker if someone wants to open a new demat account for family member. This is required for long term investment, and key factors to look for are reliable platform/software, good customer service, low/medium brokerage and quality research. Please suggest few options.

Thanks,
Amit

simple answer:ICICI most EXPENSIVE but most EASY to use…!!!
i also have icicidirect but have stopeed using it due to ultra high brokerage and now i am using ZERODHA.
Regards

Icici Provides easy to use platform and rate can be brought down by prepaid option where one pays 3 lac + service tax STT in advance to get 12 paise per 100 rs. Good for those who have high volume.This is for resident. I am not sure for NRI. Even IIFL looks good. Negotiable rate and good trading platform.

I have ICICI direct and Zerodha. I do only long term investing and don’t do trading.

For long term investing, Zerodha is the best. No brokerage. Awesome UI - User experience. Also their new Kite mobile app is the best. Fund transfer from your bank a/cs are faster. Cons: IPO is still not supported.

ICICI Direct - very high brokerage. Crappy mobile app. Have stopped using ICICI Direct. Will close ICICI Direct account once I sell all my shares held in that account.

+1 to zerodha. awesome UI/UE. I have an account in icicidirect and kotak too. they both suck. and they are not open to negotiation no matter that. i have completely stopped using them. ( i haven’t transferred the holding. but doing all my new transactions in zerodha)

Sorry but I am naive on how demat and counterparty risk works. I had one qn - zerodha has no institutional backing. Is there any risk there in terms of non transfer, default, theft of holdings…this is off course in a black swan tyoe situation

You can also connect your existing ICICI Bank Demat account with Zerodha trading account. But in this case you can only purchase from Zerodha. You have to sell the shares in you existing account like ICICI Direct.

I was about open an account with Zerodha, but I was surprised to see that they want me to fill this declaration

I have serious objection to the language of the declaration. How can company ask people to fill in such a declaration? Terrorist!!

Also it is written voluntary but their support say it is compulsory.

I imagine this gives a sneek-peek into the inner working of the company.

1 Like

Unlike my earlier thinking ICICIDirect seems to the most unreliable service, when you really need it. On the Brexit day from 9:15 to 9:32 there website was not working. First it was not loging in, the it was showing company code, then it was not taking in orders.

I think I have look for another service.

Friends please share you experiences with your brokers on Brexit day!

I have used ICICIdirect, HDFC, SBI, IDBI, axis and Zerodha.
Zerodha beats others hands down. I just love it. Still have my ICICI account because some shares in that account are pledged and for IPOs. All fresh capital is through Zerodha.

damani_m_kdamani.m.k1d
Going through the discussion, it seems that Zerodha is one of the better options available in today’s context.

Does anyone have experience with moving their ICICIDirect account to Zerodha? I am assuming that one will need to do a demat transfer of securities from ICICI to Zerodha approved demat partner. Also, bank account will need to be opened with Zerodha approved partner to start transacting. Are there any other steps involved in the process that I am missing?

i am also interested in above details. will appreciate a response/details on same.